Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

15 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

I want a family emergency like this also.

A couple of years ago, didn't she cancel on a con and post pictures of herself doing something fun? I, too, have faked an illness or emergency to get out an undesirable social obligation (though not a professional one or one where people paid money to see me), but I was smart enough not to post pictures of the fun I was having instead. This is the first rule of cancelling, Katie!

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, Mary0360 said:

Is it naive to think that Emily will continue to not hang out with the Jar crew from now on? 

Maybe they reached the final stage aka being friends with him instead of her.. Who knows.... 

10 minutes ago, Belinea said:

Maybe they reached the final stage aka being friends with him instead of her.. Who knows.... 

Well Carina and Jarret seem like the type of people who would leverage friendships with famous friends to make friends with even more famous people. 

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Optics don't really matter at this point IMO. Her stans don't care, she doesn't care, and the cons that keep inviting her despite her cancellation streaks don't care, either. The cycle continues. 

Flaking on fan cons doesn’t hurt her bottom line, and now it seems ducking out of work requirements (SDCC) doesn’t hurt her job security. What a charmed life she leads.

• Love 2

SDCC seems like the kind of event KC would usually lap up, IMO. But in the case of missing cons, I think she just couldn't be bothered.  How she still gets invites after all this time, I'll never know! ?

• Love 1

She cancelled a con and then it came out that she was shopping instead I think and it might have been in the same city too. But I can't remember which one. I don't know why people pay to see her. She obviously doesn't really care from my point of view.

17 hours ago, olicityfan25 said:

She cancelled a con and then it came out that she was shopping instead

Does she still get paid if she cancels? Because if she doesn't want to do them, just don't do them. 

• Love 2

At the HVFF 2017 my friend had bought a photo op with Melissa Benoist. She canceled a few days before and he received a refund. I’m assuming this is still the policy for the cancellations so she’s missing out on that money as well as the autograph money. 

18 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

The con was 2nd-4th? Posting a picture the 6th doesnt negate a family emergency later in the previous week. Of course it couldve been an easy out but I doubt she'd use it for SDCC of all things.

The con was from 3rd till 5th. That family emergency couldnt have been that big of an issue when she was advertising a new product on Sunday and posting her pics chilling the next day. But didnt have time to leave a msg to her fans to let them know she wont be able to make it. 

• Love 8
On 8/6/2018 at 1:55 PM, Mary0360 said:

Is it naive to think that Emily will continue to not hang out with the Jar crew from now on? 

I get the impression she's been doing a lot of summer adventure kind of stuff.  Stuff that is probably more active than the Jar crew is looking to do.   - So I'd say when it gets cold she will rejoin the crew

Edited by BkWurm1
8 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

The con was from 3rd till 5th. That family emergency couldnt have been that big of an issue when she was advertising a new product on Sunday and posting her pics chilling the next day. But didnt have time to leave a msg to her fans to let them know she wont be able to make it. 

Family emergency's can amount to various hours depending on what happens. But yeah she totally should've sent a message if anything.

11 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I get the impression she's been doing a lot of summer adventure kind of stuff.  Stuff that is probably more active than the Jar crew is looking to do.   - So I'd say when it gets cold she will rejoin the crew

I like that she seems to have a wide mix of friends but yeah, I think the jar crew is here to stay. Last night someone wondered on IG if Emily had left the group and Aisha responded by calling them a loser, so there’s that. 

45 minutes ago, Trisha said:

I like that she seems to have a wide mix of friends but yeah, I think the jar crew is here to stay. Last night someone wondered on IG if Emily had left the group and Aisha responded by calling them a loser, so there’s that. 

Quite a few people in that group seem to be very...fragile, is probably the nicest way I can put it, LOL.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Trisha said:

Last night someone wondered on IG if Emily had left the group and Aisha responded by calling them a loser, so there’s that. 

I saw this and it wasn't even comments on her own IG post, it was on SA's from a post days ago. Kinda sad to be trawling old comments on someone else's IG. AT needs to get a life, IMO. Yikes.

• Love 6

Full video of July 19, 2018 SDCC panel on "Shattering Stereotypes: Badass Female Scientists in the Lab and on the Screen"...

Panelists:

• Sarah Tarkoff - writer, executive story editor, Arrow, Sinless
  • Monica Owusu-Breen - producer, writer, Midnight Texas, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Fringe, Alias
  • Nora Zuckerman - co-executive producer, writer, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Suits, Haven, Human Target, Fringe
  • Maria Ferrari - executive producer, writer, The Big Bang Theory
  • Dr. Alison Coil - professor of physics, Ingrid and Joseph W. Hibben chair, associate dean for equity, diversity, and inclusion, and faculty equity advisor, division of physical sciences, University of California San Diego
  • Dr. Elena Blanco-Suarez - research associate, post-doctoral researcher, neuroscience
  • Shirley Deese - engineer senior engineer of systems and software in aerospace systems and chairperson, San Diego professional chapter: National Society of Black Engineers

Comic-Con Panel: Badass Female Scientists in the Lab and on the Screen
Published on Aug 6, 2018, by Fleet Science Center

-- Shirley Deese said that watching Shuri in Black Panther made her want to "go back 10 years and do all the things that everyone told me I couldn't do" back then. She found Shuri an inspiration for young women today.

-- Dr. Elena Blanco-Suarez was inspired by Ripley in Alien. She was fascinated by the life cycle of the alien creatures in that movie. That led her to becoming interested in microbiology, before moving onto neuroscience.

-- The panelists talked about "The Scully Effect" caused by The X-Files. Many young women were inspired by the character of Dana Scully to go into science or the FBI.

-- Nora Zuckerman: "Fitz and Simmons are such a big part of [Agents of SHIELD], but they're also the heart of the show, which has been such a joy to write for, and why they have such a huge fan base because like, not only are they always the smartest people in the room, but, you know, I think they stand for something fantastic. it's an honor to write for them." Monica Owusu-Breen (who worked on Agents of SHIELD the first two years): "What I loved about Simmons was her curiosity, because I've written scientists before and they were just facts and information, and for her, there was a joy in discovery. It was exciting. And even if it was disgusting what she discovered, it was exciting that she discovered something new that was disgusting. And there was a joy in her, and the idea of posing questions and answering them made her such a vibrant and fun character, and such a different perception of scientists which is not tortured. It's actually curious and questioning and loving every minute of it, which is fun. " Nora Zuckerman: "And I think Elizabeth brings that to the character too.. She's got like this inner glow in her, so the character really comes through."

-- Shirley Deese said that she got her inspiration from Uhura on Star Trek and that people are often surprised that someone who looks like her is someone with a background in engineering, have advanced degrees and work on multimillion dollar projects.

-- Sarah Tarkoff: "I think as a writer, you have a choice between - you know, I'm trying to tell a story, I'm trying to convey something. And I can either do the sort of expedient thing and lean into the stereotype and, you know, my scientist is going to come along and I want you to know he's a scientist. So I'm going to lean into your, you know, mental picture of a scientist and make him, you know, Dr. Frink from The Simpsons and, you know, he's the geeky dude. You sort of have that picture in your mind. Um, but, you know, when you're creating characters who, you know, are going to go on for more than one sentence, and you want to develop - you want to lean away from the cliche. I think you have a choice between 'Do I want to lean into the stereotype?' or 'Do I want to do something different and, you know, subvert it?' Ultimately, I think, with every character, as a writer, you have that choice to make."

-- Dr. Elena Blanco-Suarez said that, if you portray the scientist as anyone other than a white male of around 50 years of age, you're being diverse. She also said that, when people find out she's a neuroscientist, they're surprised that she doesn't look like Amy on The Big Bang Theory.

-- Nora Zuckerman was glad to see an evil female scientist in the Wonder Woman movie and found it "inspiring" that a female scientist could be evil as well.

-- Monica Owusu-Breen thought that there should be a diversity of roles for female scientists as well, as for male scientists, both heroes and villains. She mentioned Dr. Frankenstein. Another panelist noted that the Frankenstein book was written by a woman (Mary Shelley).

-- Dr. Alison Coil thought that male scientists get a lot more range and variety of fictional portrayals than female scientists.

-- Shirley Deese talked about the Hidden Figures movie.

-- There was discussion of some panelists seeing increased diversity in real life universities and labs.

-- Dr. Alison Coil said that young women and also young men needed to see more diversity of role models on the screen, because that would encourage more diversity in real life. Dr. Elena Blanco-Suarez said that it would also make seeing female scientists and women of color in real life scientist roles more accepted and normal.

-- Sarah Tarkoff: "I think part of the problem is a lot of writers spend a lot more time watching television than we do in like actual science labs, so I think that as the demographics of those labs have been changing, I think we haven't necessarily been witness to that." Other panelists then joked about the Fleet Science Center sponsoring field trips for television writers to visit real life labs.

-- The panelists then discussed a study showing elementary school boys and girls having similar levels of interest in STEM careers, but then girls losing interest in high school. Possible causes: encouragement or lack of encouragement by others (parents, peers), not being shown the benefits of STEM jobs, "cultural not inherent" reasons, not considered "cool" by opposite or same sex people that girls are interested in, girls are more likely to be praised for being smart while boys are more likely to be praised for trying hard, etc.

-- The panelists then talked about the future of women in science. Shirley Deese said that technology is the key and encouraged more "Shuri's." Dr. Alison Coil said that there needs to be more women not just in the lab, but running the lab. Another panelist said that there's still a "culture of exclusivity, not inclusivity."

-- Sarah Tarkoff: "I think, um, we've been talking a lot about how film and TV have been lagging behind, uh, you know, the real world representation of scientists... There's one place where I think it is doing really well. Um, I recently started writing for YA books and that is a very female-driven market and the characters - you see a lot of great representations of female scientists, you know, diverse and complex... I think that's sort of a little peek at what our future could be." Other panelists then joked that a lot of these YA books are being made into movies, so we just have to wait a few years before we can see them on the screen.

-- Several panelists encouraged more conversation about these issues and more education about things like "the imposter syndrome" and "unconscious bias."

-- The panel then talked about barriers against women reaching higher and more powerful positions in STEM and how one such barrier is this perception that women will get pregnant and leave. An audience member also asked about fictional scientist characters who would be either male or female but often end up being portrayed as male. Some panel discussion about this. One scientist panelist suggested that the TV writers write stories that show male characters having issues balancing careers and children.

-- Audience member raised issue of how a "persistent" woman is perceived as "bossy rather than a boss." Shirley Deese said that she herself has been called "bossy" and "the other b word" and recommended that you just have to "own it" and "be firm." Monica Owusu-Breen said that, if you're the boss, you have to "call them on it" and do your job. Maria Ferrari said not to worry about whether or not people are going to like you and that people are going to like you.

-- An audience member brought up #metoo and asked whether modern day TV shows and movies are doing more to portray real life issues that women face in the workplace, like sexism, sexual assault and sexual harassment. Nora Zuckerman said that there are more conversations now in the television industry, including in the writers room, and that she expects to see more things being portrayed and "more honesty" on television. Dr. Alison Coil said that this is where "science has to follow Hollywood" and that they "haven't been having those discussions in the sciences because it's much more hierarchical." 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, tv echo said:

Full video of July 19, 2018 SDCC panel on "Shattering Stereotypes: Badass Female Scientists in the Lab and on the Screen"...

It's nice to see so much diversity among the panelists, including the scientists themselves.

• Love 2

The panelists then discussed a study showing elementary school boys and girls having similar levels of interest in STEM careers, but then girls losing interest in high school. Possible causes: encouragement or lack of encouragement by others (parents, peers), not being shown the benefits of STEM jobs, "cultural not inherent" reasons, not considered "cool" by opposite or same sex people that girls are interested in, girls are more likely to be praised for being smart while boys are more likely to be praised for trying hard, etc.

This is a broad statement (what I'm going to say) so of course, it doesn't apply to all, but I think girls, in general, are more aware of the importance of relationships around that age and that often STEM careers are presented as very isolating.  In reality, I believe people in the sciences are often working very closely with team members but on TV and in movies, it's all very sterile and everyone is working long hours with no human contact and no home life.  If they could correct that perception, I think there'd be less of a stigma.  (And tying this to Arrow, they have done a much better job in the more recent years about showing that Felicity can have a life outside of sitting behind a computer)

That last sentence about girls being more likely to be praised for being smart vs boys for trying hard is also huge.  Basically it says that a guy gets to fail and still be rewarded, chocking it up to a part of the learning process but a girl has to master it immediately or be written off.  Not much wiggle room for success that way.  

• Love 3

I've missed chatting with everyone here. It's sort of the nature of the season this year that so much of it is secretive and so much of it is...I can't even really talk about it...that it's been difficult to stay on social media so I've just kind of stayed away a little bit.

10 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

A trip to Hawaii after a whole summer spent on vacation? He and his family are living the life. Hope the combo of whatever is keeping him off of social media keeps keeping him off social media. 

Maybe he's making up for that interview about the ex wife =P

• Love 9
2 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

This is a broad statement (what I'm going to say) so of course, it doesn't apply to all, but I think girls, in general, are more aware of the importance of relationships around that age and that often STEM careers are presented as very isolating.  In reality, I believe people in the sciences are often working very closely with team members but on TV and in movies, it's all very sterile and everyone is working long hours with no human contact and no home life.  If they could correct that perception, I think there'd be less of a stigma.  (And tying this to Arrow, they have done a much better job in the more recent years about showing that Felicity can have a life outside of sitting behind a computer)

That last sentence about girls being more likely to be praised for being smart vs boys for trying hard is also huge.  Basically it says that a guy gets to fail and still be rewarded, chocking it up to a part of the learning process but a girl has to master it immediately or be written off.  Not much wiggle room for success that way.  

I remember reading some research that found that a major reason for girls not going into STEM careers is because while they are good at math and science, they want a career that involves dealing with people so in university instead of going for physics or maths, they gravitate to medicine or teaching.

Another interesting idea was in  an op ed from a couple of days ago, Make Your Daughter Practice Math. She’ll Thank You Later. by Barbara Oakely,  an engineering professor.  She teaches a MOOC, How To Learn, that I took a few years ago and she really knows her research.

A large body of research has revealed that boys and girls have, on average, similar abilities in math. But girls have a consistent advantage in reading and writing and are often relatively better at these than they are at math, even though their math skills are as good as the boys’. The consequence? A typical little boy can think he’s better at math than language arts. But a typical little girl can think she’s better at language arts than math. As a result, when she sits down to do math, she might be more likely to say, “I’m not that good at this!” She actually is just as good (on average) as a boy at the math — it’s just that she’s even better at language arts.

[snip]

Unfortunately, thinking you’re not very good at something can be a quick path to disliking and avoiding it, even if you do have natural ability. You can begin to avoid practicing it, because to your mind, that practice is more painful than learning what comes more easily. Not practicing, in turn, transforms what started out as a mere aversion into a genuine lack of competence. Unfortunately, the way math is generally taught in the United States — which often downplays practice in favor of emphasizing conceptual understanding — can make this vicious circle even worse for girls.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

Quite a few people in that group seem to be very...fragile, is probably the nicest way I can put it, LOL.

Honestly, that response from Aisha surprised me.  In my mind she gives no f's, and an internet comment??  Way below what ANY of them should be reading, let alone respond to.  I might have reacted about my tight friend group like that - in high school.  After that, an eye roll and moving on.

• Love 2

I suspect at the level of fame they have, they are likely to read internet comments.

They are famous but probably more C grade, so they are not at the level of say Nicole Kidman who is definitely not going to sit around and read tweets. 

I reckon with certain personalities, if they are not at the top, are more likely to be sensitive like this.

In today's facebook video, SA said that he "got a stretch of days off [which] coincided with a long weekend" so he decided to go to Hawaii and spend some time with his family. He also joked that Oliver was killed in prison, but then said that he returns to work "on Monday"...

Stephen Amell
10 mins · 
Facebook! Our team has been working on nockingpointwines.com a bit to make the site a little more dynamic for everyone! We also have some super cool collaborations coming up, and can't wait to share them with you! Check out the video and head over to the site to see what we've been up to!

Edited by tv echo

He's going to look like a nasty pervy old man next to Felicity......which I guess is close to comic canon right?

After Felicity's history of admiring the serial killer pic I am kinda afraid of a scene where she strokes his nasty beard and tells him she thinks it's hot. Ugh! 

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

He's going to look like a nasty pervy old man next to Felicity......which I guess is close to comic canon right?

After Felicity's history of admiring the serial killer pic I am kinda afraid of a scene where she strokes his nasty beard and tells him she thinks it's hot. Ugh! 

Nah, SA practically hinted that the beard would be gone """""if""""" Oliver gets out of prison, probably in fact for that very reason. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, way2interested said:

Nah, SA practically hinted that the beard would be gone """""if""""" Oliver gets out of prison, probably in fact for that very reason. 

You mean so their age difference won't show too much? 

3 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

You mean so their age difference won't show too much? 

Kind of, yeah. They've fudged with how EBR looks for years concerning it, so I can't imagine them wanting to purposefully make it more difficult for them. That and maintaining that look as the new "style" for Oliver outside of the prison wouldn't look good for the show in general, since it would be kind of significantly changing how the main character looks, which shows get really picky about.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

CH will be a presenter on the iHeartRADIO Much Music Video Awards show (Canadian TV)...

Interesting that Jeff Leatham started liking his insta posts (and Colton his).  I felt bad for Colton going through that breakup so shortly after his mom passed.  Hopefully they can at least come out of this as friends.

• Love 2