Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Perfect Mom

• Start Topic

One of my favorite episodes.  You immediately know from the moment Brenda talks about how cool Kelly's mom is as compared to Cindy that we will all learn a very valuable lesson about what really makes a good parent.  And while obviously a parent who needs to do lines of coke to get herself through a high school fashion show is not in the running for "Parent of the Year," Jackie does rock that bikini. 

• Love 4

It looks like the device in Jackie's room could be a TV with a speaker on the side which exists for some reason.  Otherwise, she decided to bring a microwave upstairs with all the other random technology she's hording up there.  

Maybe the best episode you guys covered so far.  You guys did it justice.

That barely there Jim/Brandon plot was weird.  I did find it interesting that Jim told Cindy to give Brenda a chance to make it up to Cindy (for not telling her about the fashion show).  Brenda... doesn't really do that but at least Jim had her back at some point.

• Love 1

This was awesome. I totally remember that episode. My friend and I used to watch the show and then talk on the phone about it immediately after it ended. We did the same thing for My So-Called Life. I can't wait until we get to some episodes that stand out in my memory. keep it up!

(edited)
It looks like the device in Jackie's room could be a TV with a speaker on the side which exists for some reason.  Otherwise, she decided to bring a microwave upstairs with all the other random technology she's hording up there.

I was thinking it was an early videophone.  Perhaps when people came to the door, you could see who was there and buzz them in, but I have no idea what you would use that keyboard for. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 1

In that pic you have of Jackie's weird Norad console, I totally thought it was Steve Sanders laying in bed before you talked about the scene. Jackie really looks rough there.

Also, Nina is played here by Linda Thompson, who went on to contribute (?) to the Jenner brood.

• Love 1

Linda Thompson had already contributed to the Jenner brood by this time. ('81 and '83) But nice snag. I like that she's playing a rich Beverly Hills lady cause that's basically who she really is.

My absolute favourite thing about these podcasts are you guys snorting over the clips. And also calling Brandon on his bullshit.

And Brenda, who is by far my favourite character on this show, is genuinely terrible in this episode.

• Love 2

Isn't this also the episode where Kelly is locked out and she crawls through the doggie door to get in?

This was probably my favorite episode from season one.  It may be the ONLY episode I remember from season one.  It certainly did a long way to humanizing Kelly.   Donna = still a glorified extra.

SO cool that we got two recaps this week.  Does this mean no recap next week?

• Love 1

I love these podcasts so much. I really can't wait for the Dead Scott episode. I am a terrible person. Also all the Emily Valentine episodes.

Pre-pubescent David sounds like he sucked helium before each line. He is so special to me.

I will (shamefully) admit that Brenda was kind of my favorite and chubby teen me wanted to look and dress like her. I've recovered though.

• Love 2

I hate myself but I ... kinda, maybe just a little bit found myself choking up at the end when Brenda and Cindy were reconciling. Perhaps now having a tween daughter is bringing out my inner Cindy-wannabe. Except the Cindy who wears the mom jeans. Those really comfy looking mom jeans.

The Dead Scott Canon submission is worth listening to just to hear Dave weigh in on Scott's mom: "What a weirdo!" followed by Jessica emphatically agreeing "She is a weird lady."

Brian Austin Green sounds so tiny and young in that clip! It is delightful.

What's really stuck out to me in these podcasts, which I did not notice during the original broadcasts because I myself was also a horrible teenaged bag of suck at that time, is really how good a character Cindy was, and how well Carol Potter played her. She hasn't really had a lot to do up until this episode, but I feel like she's often been smarter and more compassionate than the character needed to be, and with a better sense of humor. Certainly, her children are terrible (although I will love Brenda and Shannon Doherty forever), but at this point, I really feel like that's more on Jim than on her.

Also, not to go too far OT, I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves Patty Chase! I was, thankfully, old enough by the time MSCL came around to recognize how fantastic she was. I was so excited/sad for Bess Armstrong to see in the previews that she'll be on Zoo this summer.

• Love 1

We'll still cover it, but in case you can't wait, our dear Fug Girl Jessica Morgan submitted it to the Canon in 2013.

I just listened that marvelous submission discussion, and laughed and laughed. It was fantastic.

(Though if Douglas Emerson was going to be offered a part in a remake of The Sound of Music, there's no way he'd play Captain Von Trapp. I think he would be cast as Rolf, the Eddie Haskel-like suck-up turned Nazi boyfriend of Leisl. Now that would be bizarre and kind of over-the-top terrible in an awesome way. Heee.)

"Perfect Mom" is one of my favorite season 1 episodes, too. I read somewhere that Shannen Doherty resented some of the other cast members 'stealing her shine' (originally, the show was mostly only meant to be about Brenda and Brandon), and I wonder if this episode had anything to do with that.

• Love 1
I read somewhere that Shannen Doherty resented some of the other cast members 'stealing her shine' (originally, the show was mostly only meant to be about Brenda and Brandon), and I wonder if this episode had anything to do with that.

I can't imagine this episode has anything to do with it.  It's mostly about Brenda, and how she learns a lesson about appreciating her own, non-coked out mother.  Kelly does get a spotlight, but only in the sense of how her relationship with her mother affects Brenda's relationship with her mother, and secondarily, Kelly. 

I can't imagine this episode has anything to do with it.  It's mostly about Brenda, and how she learns a lesson about appreciating her own, non-coked out mother.  Kelly does get a spotlight, but only in the sense of how her relationship with her mother affects Brenda's relationship with her mother, and secondarily, Kelly. 

That's true. For me, this is where I really noticed Kelly Taylor, though.

• Love 2

That's true. For me, this is where I really noticed Kelly Taylor, though.

Yeah, for me it was this episode and the slumber party episode. That's what really made Kelly Taylor stand out.

• Love 4
That's what really made Kelly Taylor stand out.

Men everywhere immediately put blankets in their trunks for chance sexual encounters.  Also, we learned that Oreos were good for treating eating disorders! 

• Love 2

Men everywhere immediately put blankets in their trunks for chance sexual encounters

Yes, but only for the girls they really cared about...

This episode is just trashy fun. If anything, this episode definitely epitomizes what the show was supposed to be about, especially during the first season.

And how funny is it to have Felice 1.0 modeling swimsuits along with Donna?

• Love 1

You guys need to add a "Shut The Fuck Up, Brenda" segment to the podcast, highlighting any of the many moments in an episode where one feels inclined to tell her to STFU. There were many in this particular episode.

• Love 1

So, looking at the picture of the room...maybe she's got a suite thing going on? Looks like a mini kitchen could be back there. Hell, I don't know. Rich people, man.

I think there were more scenes with the keyboard that have been cut out due to loss of music rights. I'd love to hear you guys discuss the horrible replacement music.

• Love 2

I think there were more scenes with the keyboard that have been cut out due to loss of music rights. I'd love to hear you guys discuss the horrible replacement music.

That could be it - it definitely has the feeling of a B or C plot that we're missing the rest of. Every time I catch this episode and that scene comes up I wonder if there's a scene or two I missed.

• Love 1

I also remember there being more to the keyboard business in the original broadcast.  It's amazing how much is cut out of shows when they go into syndication.

• Love 1

I also remember there being more to the keyboard business in the original broadcast. It's amazing how much is cut out of shows when they go into syndication.

Ok, I'm not crazy! I thought remembered that too, but Casio keyboard jokes were so ubiquitous in the 1990s that I thought I must be thinking of another show. But I swear I remember watching that episode back in the day and the keyboard was a part of the whole episode. Ug. Do the music rights ever get worked out? It's really annoying right now.

• Love 1

The keyboard bit was a thing when Reeeeek came to visit, as I recall. Jim and Reek jammed on it, and maybe Brenda found that a bit of a turnoff? Maybe that's just wishful remembering on my part.

• Love 1

Well, I just discovered this podcast and there went my day as I could not stop listening. So funny.

I'm not a devotee of 90210, so started listening casually during a workout after running out of other podcast eps, and then just found myself laughing and laughing. I did watch this show back in the day -- I remember it became a big thing when they did their then revolutionary "summer season" -- but haven't re-watched since. The commentary on early '90s hair (which should qualify as a hate crime) and fashion alone is worth tuning in for. You could probably do a spin off based entirely on Steve's shirts.

The sad thing is that I used to want to look like these girls -- Brenda and Kelly's prom dress was my fashion nirvana for a LOOONG time -- and I had a serious thing for Dylan. Do better 14-year-self. Seriously, beginning to question my sanity. Hoodie and the Blowfish was really cool right? Not just my teen memory? That, too? Alright, my world view is collapsing here.

Anywho ... Great show. Thanks for the laughs.

I know it's so cliche but I had a friend mom and it SUCKED. I mean no cocaine but definitely too up in my business and "friend-y" and I hated it.

I love this episode so much especially because I was saying SHUT UP BRENDA the entire time.

• Love 1

Hello ladies! I love the podcast. So much so that I have been rewatching Season 1. Which brings me to my question? What happened to Episode 6? Please tell me I did not watch that boring ass episode about Brandon cheating on his history test for nothing.

Hello ladies! I love the podcast. So much so that I have been rewatching Season 1. Which brings me to my question? What happened to Episode 6? Please tell me I did not watch that boring ass episode about Brandon cheating on his history test for nothing.

Here you go. 

On 12/2/2017 at 9:14 PM, catladytx said:

No one noticed that Jackie’s friend is Linda Thompson, elvis’ ex and Caitlyn Jenner’s ex?

I've been thinking that for ages!! This episode was on Pluto this morning and I finally looked it up on IMDB and sure enough, Nina was played by Linda Thompson. I knew of her from The Hills and Real Housewives of Beverly Hills! My sister read her book (she gobbles autobiographies) and said it was a worthwhile read. 

• Love 1

Linda Thompson was a lyricist and she always credited Elvis with helping her tap into that.

I loved that Brenda schooled Cindy about how snobby and elitist she was being about Beverly Hills... even reminding her that if they were still in Minneapolis, she would be running the fashion show.  Cindy spent most of the first season complaining about being in Beverly Hills and wanting to go back to Minneapolis.

• Like 1