Type keyword(s) to search

Former Hosts: PERSONAL Life After The View

• Start Topic

Back when she was still with Sal she told some story about her house burglar alarm going off and how havoc ensued - Sal looking for the house gun, naked Sherri running down the hall to get Jeffrey. Who knows if it happened.

And she was running around with a wicker wastebasket as protection, if I recall correctly! Stories like this really make me feel badly for Jeffrey. Maybe the nanny is a good thing. Hopefully chosen wisely by a professional.

Sherri always chooses to tweet while an event is happening......like the elderly, confused man got into the backseat of her car parked by Rumba. That was twofer.....me exercising and scared out of my wits. Yet her photo showed there were not any cars in the lot except hers....not even for Rumba clients.

I think this is the one where she called Sal and he never showed up, lol. He was probably home with Jeffrey and chose wisely, imo.

• Love 1

At least she loves the camera!

I mean, being estranged from your parent(s) wouldn't be anything surprising. But why would anyone run to Inside Edition if they're not bitter about something or wanting to get the last hit in a battle of wills? My opinion of her hasn't changed, but wish her well since Rosie O'Donnell still says she has mental issues.

• Love 3

It seems to me that -- at least at this phase of her life -- Chelsea cares for no one but Chelsea. She used her biological mother to get away, in my opinion, and is now saying deliberately hurtful things about Rosie. She apparently wants no relationship with either of them, and is only interested in the boyfriend with the sketchy past.

The fact that she said she doesn't like to be touched and doesn't love the woman who raised her and gave her what appears to be a pretty nice life... well, it seems to me that there's some stuff she's not bringing to the table. Perhaps biological factors stemming from being born to an addict are in play here.

What a shame. Hate to say it, but I think the best thing Rosie (and her biological mom) could do right now is demonstrate tough love and wash their hands of her. Let her play out whatever is going to happen, and pray she doesn't permanently harm herself in the process. Be there if and when she wants them and their love and support in the future. But for now, let the rebellious little bird fly on her own, since she's so desperate to do just that.

Too bad there are rags like the Daily Mail that will pay to get up close and personal with this very troubled girl.

• Love 12

But why would anyone run to Inside Edition

I'm betting that Inside Edition ran to her.

At least she loves the camera!

As do many kids her age, and older. Selfies, Instagram,Facebook updates, etc. The only difference between Chelsea and a lot of society is that Chelsea has something to say that some people are interested in.

This is Rosie's response to all of this, from her website:

Peggy writes: October 29, 2015 3:49 pm I wonder how Chelsea would feel if you did a “tell all” interview? Think she would be embarrassed if you told us all the things that led up to her needing to be placed in a school for troubled kids? She is selling her soul for money. Still playing the role of a “Cash Cow”, sad.

yes

and i told her i would do one ---

if she did another

so lets see

Not the healthiest of responses.  There's a lot of pain, anger, and lashing out going on in this sad situation, and it's not all coming from Chelsea.

• Love 3

Micoley also revealed that she and Chelsea have not spoken since the 18-year-old left her home in August.

Cash must be getting tight, time for salacious interviews restating what's already been said for the most part.  Given what we do know about Chelsea, she's probably matured to about a 15, or 16 year old.  This seems like very predictable rebellious behavior.

Not the healthiest of responses. 

Or, it's tough love.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 2

Chelsea is an adult now. If she wants to continue talking about her mother in public to get attention (and, possibly, money), then I personally don't think there's anything wrong with Rosie O'Donnell defending herself. Because that's what this amounts to--a daughter trying to make her mother look like a horrible person when most of the her "complaints" reek of rich kid syndrome. I mean, paying someone else to drive her to the movies or restaurants hardly makes Rosie look like Mommie Dearest.

I saw the interview with the birth mother, and I just have to say her way of speaking made it clear she's been into heavy drugs. Interestingly enough, she didn't mention anything about being on heroin in that interview... I'm not even sure why she's giving an interview since the daughter isn't living with her either.

• Love 3

Teenage rebellion is ugly, and it's just unfortunate that this is being played out in public. Probably for money, on Chelsea's part.

I hope Rosie doesn't do a "Daughter Dearest" interview. I hate to see adults sink to the level of a rebellious child acting out. Best to ignore her, take the high road, and see how it shakes out.

I say this as a formerly rebellious daughter who luckily didn't have famous parents.

• Love 6

Jet lag hitting hard... put Jeffrey to sleep... hid candy, fed & walked dogs... I'm going to bed - g'night everybody!  Sweet dreams

Wasn't Sherri in the same time zone (even though it was a foreign country!) lol

Hopefully she remembered to turn the clock back for the end of Daylight Savings Time- or hilarity will ensue!

Edited by springtime
  • Love 4

We all know that Sherri is NOT the sharpest knife in the drawer but she apparently feels her "fans" are equally stupid, she is bemoaning her severe "jet lag" from an hour and a half flight from Toronto to NYC, same time zone, short flight, give me a break :(

• Love 7

Halloween isn't the time to get a power walk in- nor the time to get the most candy ever!

sherrieshepherdJeffrey and I walked into four buildings each w 33 floors... 132 flors total - he walked away w two full bags of candy- I am tired but happy we got to spend the day together - now I just have to hide those #Butterfingers!!!

One building would've been enough because now she is trying to take all Jeffrey's candy away

sherrieshepherdThe look when  you try to throw all their Halloween candy! It's that crazy eyed stare!

Edited by springtime
  • Love 1

I hope Rosie doesn't do a "Daughter Dearest" interview. I hate to see adults sink to the level of a rebellious child acting out. Best to ignore her, take the high road, and see how it shakes out.

I think it would be best if Rosie just said nothing, since I suspect Chelsea wants very much to be engaged.  It would be a reason for another interview and more unhealthy attention.  But I can understand Rosie not wanting the things Chelsea is saying about her to go unchallenged, too.  I hope if she does respond, she sticks to defending herself and does not attack Chelsea or talk more about her problems.  I feel like I already know way more about this girl than I should.  And it won't help their relationship any. 

What is that saying, it's sharper than a serpent's tooth to have a thankless child?  Yeah.  Shakespeare.  I wonder what The Bard would have had to say about a child that gives interviews to the media trashing her celebrity mother, on top of just being thankless ...  Of course that is not to say that an adopted child or a child of wealthy parents isn't entitled to be unhappy about their upbringing or resent lousy parenting.  But ... nothing Chelsea has said yet makes me think her life was really all that bad.  Rosie may have some problems and it effected her parenting.  But it just doesn't sound that bad to me.  She wasn't cruel, her kids didn't go without, she was emotionally and physically present, it seems. She wasn't perfect.  But Chelsea doesn't sound perfect, either. 

Anyway.  The sooner this is out of the public eye, the better for all involved.  I think it must be torture for Rosie and it is rewarding Chelsea's behavior and encouraging it.  I just hope Rosie realizes dialing up the drama with an ugly response will just make it all worse.  

• Love 5

Trick-or-treating is a classic, generations-old tradition. I'm sure Jeffrey was looking forward to it - as miillions of kids were - so I am puzzled at the vitriol directed toward Sherri and Jeffrey for wanting to do it.  Nothing "moronic" about it. Can you imagine Jeffrey going to school on Monday where all his classmates are talking about their costumes and candy if he didn't participate himself?

• Love 4

WTH did they even trick or treat? They should have stayed the hell home and handed something out. Or, actually do something nice together?? Moron.

He's a kid. Why wouldn't he go trick-or-treating? That's what kids do on Halloween. And she went with him, so they did something together. Sherrie is annoying, but her taking her child trick-or-treating on Halloween isn't an example of it. Why should her kid have to stay home?

• Love 4

I don't object to Sherrie trick or treating, I object to her rather convoluted, pat myself on the back tweets.

Did she hide the candy in her apartment? And if so, a great big, Huh???

And if she hid the candy why did she hike Jeffrey through 132 floors to get two big bags of candy that she then took away from him? And then she went to throw it away in front of him? And took his Butterfingers. Geesh.

Had she said that Jeffrey loved his Batman, or whatever, costume and got a kick out of ringing doorbells for candy and they had to try to not eat too much, to me, that's closer to normal than what she says they/she did.

• Love 4

Does Jeffrey have self-control issues when it comes to gorging himself on foods or candy?  Some kids do, and they need a little extra structure when it comes to enjoying their Halloween haul.

But specifying the Butterfingers need hiding?   Uhhh.... yeah.  Sherri is just putting those aside for herself.  /eyeroll/

Lady go buy yourself a case of Butterfingers and leave your child's candy alone.  Ya damn cheapskate.  And do something with those ratty ass patio furniture cushions, too!  Why post that mess on the instagram?  I've seen better out on the street next to trashcans.

• Love 8

I have a feeling that nothing Sherri can do will ever escape outrage or mockery.  She's far from perfect, and she certainly does things that should be called into serious scrutiny - her second child, for example - but using a wire hanger and having less than pristine patio furniture are unforgivable sins.

Rosie, however, can sit in a second house that she bought smoking weed and Chelsea is an ungrateful brat for calling her out on it. 

• Love 6

I have a feeling that nothing Sherri can do will ever escape outrage or mockery.  She's far from perfect, and she certainly does things that should be called into serious scrutiny - her second child, for example - but using a wire hanger and having less than pristine patio furniture are unforgivable sins.

Rosie, however, can sit in a second house that she bought smoking weed and Chelsea is an ungrateful brat for calling her out on it. 

Yep.  That's about right.  At least for me, it's apples and oranges.   I love RO.  I think she's talented and smart and generous and deeply cares about children.     At the same time, I think Sherri is a clown using Twitter to replace a good publicist or sometimes a good therapist.   I don't even pretend to be objective about it. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 15

I haven't read all of Sherri's posts but I think she makes things up for drama. Maybe she didn't take the candy away. Or hide it. Maybe she ate it all on the spot. But it sure does give us something to talk about.

• Love 2

Who takes their child to 133 floors of apts and then takes the candy away? Or teach them to space it out....or share with the homeless, or food banks or women's shelters with kids? Why amp the kid up and take it away?

How about a party and dunking for apples, playing games, watching an appropriate age movie and a little trick or treating. Or going for a hay ride or to a "haunted house?"

IMO she can really be mean to Jeffrey. And teaches him nothing.

• Love 3

The suggestion that I see the condition of Sherri's patio cushions as an "unforgivable sin" is a bit of an overstatement.  I simply think that in her rush to be cute and overshare in order to get attention from strangers on the internet, Sherri has once again embarrassed herself by posting something that most of us would not want the world to see.  

The issue of Rosie's mistakes as a parent has no bearing on my opinion of Sherri's poor social media choices. 

• Love 6

As I recall, Sherri was raised Jehovah's Witness, correct? She was likely raised to believe Halloween is a sinful pagan holiday that Jehovah's Witnesses do not celebrate. I seem to remember her saying something about her extreme discomfort with Halloween years ago on the view when Jeffrey was really small. It may have even been before she was anything more than an occasional guest host. It wouldn't surprise me if that plays into part of her need to exaggerate and overcompensate with Jeffrey now on Halloween and in some ways live it vicariously through him since it was something very different in her own childhood.

That said, we also know that she routinely posts exaggerated or melodramatic or inappropriate stuff on social media, particularly about Jeffrey. It has long been part of her schtick to publicly use his adventures/misadentures as fodder for her own purposes.

• Love 4

As I recall, Sherri was raised Jehovah's Witness, correct? She was likely raised to believe Halloween is a sinful pagan holiday that Jehovah's Witnesses do not celebrate. I seem to remember her saying something about her extreme discomfort with Halloween years ago on the view when Jeffrey was really small. It may have even been before she was anything more than an occasional guest host. It wouldn't surprise me if that plays into part of her need to exaggerate and overcompensate with Jeffrey now on Halloween and in some ways live it vicariously through him since it was something very different in her own childhood.

That said, we also know that she routinely posts exaggerated or melodramatic or inappropriate stuff on social media, particularly about Jeffrey. It has long been part of her schtick to publicly use his adventures/misadentures as fodder for her own purposes.

I seem to remember that too Tribble; I think she hadn't really ever done  Halloween when she first came on the show - or maybe I'm thinking of someone else?  But her JW background was why I always used to give her a pass over her awkward attempts at birthday parties for Jeffery.   Of course after a while it was just lame. 

I think Sherri is trying to use her Twitter account to build some sort of brand/image for herself.  I'm not sure what it is though since I doubt Buffoon is what she had in mind.   On the other hand, if it is then brava!  she's right on point.  

Today she showed a picture of Jeffery's Halloween candy and I have to say it does look like they went to four 30 story buildings, lol.     She also said they were with other people and that they didn't exactly walk  - instead they took the elevator to the top and trick or treated to the bottom.   

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 3

My thoughts are with Rosie as Chelsea and her birth Mom keep appearing on TV!

Inside Edition apparently has a story tonight on texts from Rosie to the birth mom  (heard about it on the radio while driving home from work)

Apparently Rosie is taking the high road in commenting about Chelsea. Tone-perfect, I think.

Rosie O'Donnell on Estranged Daughter Chelsea: "We Hope She's Safe and Starts to Make Some Better Choices"

Good for Rosie. I agree, it was a good tone to take. Nothing good comes from getting into a tit for tat public spat with a disgruntled defiant teenager. Someone has to be the adult. And she's right, there's very little that she or Kelli can do in this situation except try to stay open and hope that with a little space and maturity Chelsea comes around. She's going to make mistakes and more bad choices and hopefully she'll learn from them without too much permanent damage along the way.

• Love 4

Apparently Rosie is taking the high road in commenting about Chelsea. Tone-perfect, I think.

Rosie O'Donnell on Estranged Daughter Chelsea: "We Hope She's Safe and Starts to Make Some Better Choices"

Interesting that this rag makes it sound like they had some sort of exclusive interview with RO when in reality she was just trying to walk the red carpet at her own event to raise money for Rosie's Theater Kids.   I guess there was probably no way around it, but I agree her comments hit the right tone and I like that she included the part about the family (and one kid can affect the entire family)  dealing with Chelsea's problems for years.   What's that saying, "A mother is only as happy as her unhappiest child."    My heart goes out to her over this. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 5

Well, I for one am not at all happy with this response Rosie just gave.  I think she needs to stop talking about how Chelsea is supposedly mentally ill.  Because if Chelsea really is sick, she i she is entitled to some privacy.  And if she isn't, it's a rotten thing for Rosie to go around saying about her.

I know it must suck to have your child bash you in the press.  I get that.  But (however subtly she phrases it) Rosie calling her kid crazy is not cool.  Rosie is the adult, the parent.  She has to take the high road.  But that is not what she is doing.  Saying Chelsea has "challenges in her perception" is nothing but a thinly-veiled way to say she is out of touch with reality and should not be believed. 

I don't know if Rosie is simply willing to violate the bounds of parent-child confidentiality in order to defend herself or if she is exaggerating or making things up altogether to do it, but either way ... I don't like it. 

• Love 2

Well, she is living with a drug addict, so it's not like she would sound sane to me even if Rosie said nothing at all. The problem is that their relationship isn't just "parent" and "child" anymore. That's how they are at this place now--Chelsea O'Donnell wanted to be an adult and have control. When she make the adult decision to go public about someone who just happens to be a member of the family, she doesn't get the right to say whatever she wants with no response because of "family." It's clear she doesn't care about her "family" at all, which is why I would clap if Rosie gave her side of it. The daughter is the one who wants it in the media, so it's on her hands if her mother (or anyone else in the family) says something unflattering about her. That's what happens when families break.

Nice try on inventing a political bias issue. I've never said anything about Whoopi, Jenny, Elisabeth, or Sherri (all co-hosts I heavily dislike) as parents. And I thought Barbara's daughter seemed like an ungrateful piece of work, too, and Barbara is clearly conservative.

• Love 4

Well, she is living with a drug addict, so it's not like she would sound sane to me even if Rosie said nothing at all. The problem is that their relationship isn't just "parent" and "child" anymore. That's how they are at this place now--Chelsea O'Donnell wanted to be an adult and have control. When she make the adult decision to go public about someone who just happens to be a member of the family, she doesn't get the right to say whatever she wants with no response because of "family." It's clear she doesn't care about her "family" at all, which is why I would clap if Rosie gave her side of it. The daughter is the one who wants it in the media, so it's on her hands if her mother (or anyone else in the family) says something unflattering about her. That's what happens when families break.

Your points are all fair enough, and I can understand your reasoning.  But Rosie did fire the first "mental illness" salvo by bringing up Chelsea's psychiatric state when she first left home (ran away or thrown out depending upon whom you believe).  Perhaps she was in a legitimate state of panic, I don't know.  But I don't think it was a wise choice or that the information was essential for the public to know.  And her daughter has stated that it upset her very much.  I think Rosie should have realized it was not necessary and would only inflame the situation, and I hold her responsible for that choice.

Of course that is not to say that I believe Chelsea would have forgone publicly trashing her mother had Rosie not said what she did about her.  She obviously has several bones to pick.  But I do think the members of the press who are printing interviews from Chelsea bear some responsible for soliciting such commentary from her, and of course for publishing her comments.  It is a shame she doesn't know better than to give them what they want.   I just wish Rosie would not respond in kind.  This "birth mother" thing has apparently washed out, and the situation with this man Chelsea is living with is doubtlessly doomed.  Rosie and Kelli and her brothers and sisters are her family, and she will hopefully one day reunite with them.  I just think the less inflammatory statements made in the media, the better.  That goes for both sides.  Chelsea needs to zip it, but so does Rosie.

• Love 3

The difference for me is that Rosie didn't say her daughter was mentally ill in order to demonize her daughter to the public (especially since Chelsea is/was a nobody), but to increase the efforts to find her. Moreover, I'm sure if it'd been up to Rosie, nothing else would've come up in the media about her daughter after the police returned her home. Compare that to Chelsea agreeing to an interview on TV explicitly to badmouth her mother, with nothing to gain except vindictive satisfaction. The scale isn't quite even to me. Even though I hope Chelsea ends up improving her situation somehow, I have no sympathy for her, sorry. And I have even less sympathy for the birth mother; she's brought up recent texts Rosie had sent her, and they made me laugh and laugh, tbh.

As far as my last post, it wasn't directed at you exactly, Celia Rubenstein, since I completely get where you're coming from. I was explaining myself more in response to several snide comments that've been made about an opinion I share, which I'm entitled to--just as others are entitled to their opinion that Rosie O'Donnell is some kind of hellish Stephen King character come alive. I find that opinion equally as biased as they apparently find my own.

• Love 7

I think any parent saying, "I love her, her siblings love her, we hope she starts making better decisions, and eventually becomes part of our family again" is an admirable statement.

It doesn't mean that I automatically think the person saying it is perfect or a great parent.

I do feel it's a mature response, certainly better than going mano-a-mano with a rebellious child who's itching to get down-and-dirty in the tabloids.

• Love 7

The difference for me is that Rosie didn't say her daughter was mentally ill in order to demonize her daughter to the public (especially since Chelsea is/was a nobody), but to increase the efforts to find her. 

That may well have been Rosie's true intention, at least initially.  But this latest comment from her feels like she is trying to discredit Chelsea by suggesting she is nuts. I think it is the expression "challenges in (her) perception" that just rubs me the wrong way.  It feels like a direct commentary on whether or not people should believe what Chelsea is saying about Rosie (most of which I don't think is really all that bad, but I can see how it must be upsetting to Rosie to have that put out there by her own kid).  

I suppose I am troubled by the idea that a parent (not necessarily Rosie, mind you) can simply brand their child a liar or crazy and get people to dismiss what that child is saying.  That may not be the actual dynamic at work in this situation, I realize.  But I am a bit wary of that potential.

You mentioned the birth mother revealing texts from Rosie ... I noticed a story online that says Chelsea is now revealing some ugly texts Rosie sent her.  When is this going to stop?  I wouldn't wish Dr. Phil on anybody, but damn he needs to leap in between these people or something.  Someone does.

I think any parent saying, "I love her, her siblings love her, we hope she starts making better decisions, and eventually becomes part of our family again" is an admirable statement.

That part of Rosie's statement was great, I agree.  I wish she had left it at just that. 

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 2

It's a shame that this painful situation is being played out in public.  The nasty texts, the interviews, all of it.  My impression about Rosie outing Chelsea's mental health issues was that bad things can happen when people cold-turkey off psychotropic medications (like suicide) without close medical supervision.  Chelsea admits that the break up of Rosie and Kelli caused her to become depressed but gets peevish about being described as having a mental illness.  A therapeutic boarding school (fancy name for a residential treatment center) generally speaking isn't going to take a kid that doesn't have a pretty dire diagnosis.

I don't think that there can be any winners here no matter what either of them says publicly.  Who knows the truth about the birth mom, but Chelsea sure as hell high tailed it out of there quickly.  Rosie has a big mouth, something she admitted to in the interviews Monday night - not that I think this is a good idea, but it seems like now that this is all out in the public she's sort of using it as a platform to address mental illness in teens more broadly with her perception remark.

• Love 2

Rosie has a big mouth, something she admitted to in the interviews Monday night - not that I think this is a good idea, but it seems like now that this is all out in the public she's sort of using it as a platform to address mental illness in teens more broadly with her perception remark.

Or she wants to be seen as a martyr who is innocent of all the things being claimed about her.

And you know what, maybe she is.  Maybe Chelsea has been a complete nightmare for 18 years and put Rosie and everyone in the family through sheer hell the whole time.  And after doing everything she can to help her, all Rosie got was a kick in the teeth from this child she had loved and cared for her whole life.  Perhaps Rosie is in fact a long-suffering victim in all this and sincerely wants to use this as a platform to help people understand the challenges her family has faced. I don't know. 

But if she really is attempting to use this as some kind of platform, well ... should she? Chelsea has made it abundantly clear that she doesn't appreciate her mother talking about her this way.   She disputes the truth of what Rosie is claiming, to begin with.  And if what Rosie is saying is in fact the truth,  isn't that only more reason why she should be respecting her daughter's right to privacy?  Is it really Rosie's place to expose her daughter's condition to educate society?  Shouldn't Chelsea have some say in that?  

I am loath to compare Rosie to Sherri Shepherd who tries to get attention by revealing all kinds of things about her son Jeffrey that should be private.  But if Rosie is really trying to use this as a platform, she is doing the same thing, essentially.  Her reasons may be arguably more altruistic, but in the end it is the same thing.  Taking private information about your child and making it public for your own purposes.  I can't get on board with that.

A therapeutic boarding school (fancy name for a residential treatment center) generally speaking isn't going to take a kid that doesn't have a pretty dire diagnosis.

I noticed how long Chelsea spent in a residential facility, too.  That does stand out.   But I have actually interned in a residential care setting, and I don't assume that 100% of them are doing the right thing 100% of the time.  There is a lot of money involved.  And not every diagnosis that can land you in residential care is as dire as one might expect.  Many times children who end up in care are from very disturbed family systems and they are simply the ones showing the symptoms.   What are essentially behavioral issues are often enough to keep a child in residence for a long, long time so long as the money is rolling in, when a child not really suffer from a major psychiatric problem at all.  

• Love 4