Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: The Big Decision

• Start Topic

I'm first

My prediction (what I THINK will happen):

- JesRy - together

- S&D - together

- JacRy - divorce (yes, I think this will be a major surprise, because we are all so expecting it to be S&D)

What I WANT to happen:

- JesRy stays together (but they will have rocky times)

- S&D breaks up and Davina just dumps all over Sean during the reveal

- JacRy splits up but says they will always be there for each other

• Love 1

Jaclyn and Ryan: Yes. The rationale, though probably not stated this way, is that they do like each other enough to date, and since for them the point of dating would be to end up with a spouse, it would be silly to divorce, then date, then marry again if the dating led them to care for each other enough to remarry. So they may as well stay married while they see where this goes.

Jessica and Ryan: Yes if they are paid to be on The First Year. No otherwise.

Sean and Davina: They will collide running out the door to get away from each other.

• Love 11

Jaclyn and Ryan - together. I think they're a couple with their head on their shoulders. They'll go far.

Sean and Davina - the relationship between the Axis and the Allies in World War II was healthier than whatever the fuck this is. I don't see a marriage, I see a greatly-exacerbated Tinder fling. They're done and I hope they move on.

Jessica and Ryan D - They've...made progress? I think? Anything can seem like "progress" if you try hard enough. They're not fighting as much, but it's still a toxic relationship.

• Love 6

My predictions:

Davina and Sean:  No way.  I can't buy them as a real couple.  

Jessica and Ryan D:  Yes, because both of them want to be married

Jaclyn and Ryan R:  Yes, because I see them as a real couple

• Love 6

Here’s what I think will happen:

The couples will meet with one or more experts, they will outline some of the highlights and lowlights of the last 6 weeks, the dramatic music will build and Dr. Levkoff will ask if they want to stay married or get a divorce.  Break for commercial.

After the commercial, they replay some of the material leading up to the commercial, and replay Dr. Levkoff’s question.  Cameras will move between the faces of the participants, dramatic music will swell and the participants will respond.

Two glorious hours of it!

• Love 13
(edited)

Liberty is probably correct. After the two hours if clips and covering the same scenes 3 times .....

Jessica and Ryan - not together sort of as in not friends with benefits

Sean and Davinia - not together

Jaclyn and Ryan - dating and seeing how it goes

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 2

Liberty nailed it: lots of suspense and a load of BS about "communication," the experts will blather on about why they put these couples together for reasons other than they all have hot bodies and they figured the audience was hoping to watch them have sex.

Sean and Davina have been phoning it in for weeks, hence the goofy Legos, Moon Pies and puzzle incidents: I think they only met up when the cameras were there so they had to do something together.

I'm afraid we will miss the best of this mess, as winter storm Juno barreled into the region just a few days later. Now THAT would be entertaining.

• Love 5

I'm going out on a limb.....

I just don't see Sean "saying" he wants a divorce-(he probably does) but will milk this for all he can. He won't just walk away.

Jessica and Ryan - Ryan is too much of a hot head. Don't see any real romance between them but they stay together because this is a soap opera for them. They aren't going to cancel the soap!

Jaclyn and Ryan -They stay together and decide after six more weeks!

• Love 2

This was so very different than last season, no? Last time, I thought four of them seemed to at least like each other, and made some effort to learn about each other. All but Jamie seemed to me to be the same people in the end that they were in the beginning.

Jaclyn changed from turned off to all in. Basement Ryan changed from not wanting to be a friend to missing his basement to wanting to be friends. Ryan D-nozzle changed from the always ready to detonate douche to more calmly throwing her under the bus and blaming her for their mess in front of the experts. Jessica's rose-colored glasses broke, to an extent, as she tried to convince herself that things were good. Sean and Davina appeared to be the most together people at the wedding and the biggest nut jobs in the following weeks. The clichés, the moon pies, the toys, the references regarding sex and all the rest are things I will probably have nightmares about. I admit it, I want them to explain themselves! lol

Again, Jaclyn, who I initially wasn't wild about, has turned out to be my favorite because she took the good and the bad and acted like a lady, a loud lady but not a malicious person and not a head case. I hope things work out the way she wants.

• Love 13

This was so very different than last season, no? Last time, I thought four of them seemed to at least like each other, and made some effort to learn about each other. All but Jamie seemed to me to be the same people in the end that they were in the beginning.

Jaclyn changed from turned off to all in. Basement Ryan changed from not wanting to be a friend to missing his basement to wanting to be friends. Ryan D-nozzle changed from the always ready to detonate douche to more calmly throwing her under the bus and blaming her for their mess in front of the experts. Jessica's rose-colored glasses broke, to an extent, as she tried to convince herself that things were good. Sean and Davina appeared to be the most together people at the wedding and the biggest nut jobs in the following weeks. The clichés, the moon pies, the toys, the references regarding sex and all the rest are things I will probably have nightmares about. I admit it, I want them to explain themselves! lol

Very astute comments. Don't know how it will turn out tonight, but it's been a hoot reading and discussing this show with all you guys.

Again, Jaclyn, who I initially wasn't wild about, has turned out to be my favorite because she took the good and the bad and acted like a lady, a loud lady but not a malicious person and not a head case. I hope things work out the way she wants.

• Love 1

Uh, I don't know what I did in the above post but my comment got sandwiched in near the bottom. Anyway, what I was saying was it's been fun discussing this show with everyone. It wouldn't surprise me if they all stay together. I think the producers and "experts" are pushing hard for at least 2 out of 3 like it was last year, so they might be doing some heavy leaning on JesRy or maybe S&D. No matter the outcome, this season was depressing. But I've always said they got lucky last season with 2 couples who fell in love. The odds are tremendously against even one couple finding a spark.

• Love 3

This season has felt like the movie Groundhog Day...except certain marrieds can't figure out to change and become better people.

I feel we've been watching Davina and Sean doing the same thing...play with Lego time, then talk time, then no sexy time.

We, the suffering viewers,  watch the same behaviors and listen to the same meaningless speeches and faux epiphanies week after week after week....

I find myself hitting the info button thinking I've seen the episode before when it is in fact new.

Making this season 12 episodes was diabolical.

I will watch the last 2 hours and the reunions AGAINST my better judgement and all common sense.

• Love 4

I'm afraid we will miss the best of this mess, as winter storm Juno barreled into the region just a few days later. Now THAT would be entertaining.

It would be even better if they were in Boston and their 4+ ft of snow every 3 days that winter, hahahaha.

• Love 1

The only thing that surprised me was how hostile things ended up between Sean and Davina. I also wonder if Sean would have chosen to stay married if Davina hadn't gone first and chosen divorce. They should record their decisions seperately and in advance.

• Love 7
(edited)

I think Sean and Davina really did figure each other out. Davina is right, Sean is weak. Sean is right, Davina is egocentric. At the end when she was mad about him 'blindsiding' her with the things he said when they made their decision, I think that was mostly about making her look bad in front of the experts and the audience. I think to her, image is everything. It's not who you are, it's how you appear to others.  Sean fled from their apartment when things were getting heated because he can't deal with conflict. Of course, before he left, he made a passive-aggressive show of removing his wedding ring and leaving it behind. Exactly the behavior I'd expect from him.

More than the other couples, I think Jess & Ryan D learned a lot about themselves and grew up quite a bit during the experience. Good for them. They made it through some pretty bad times. They might just make it.

Jacklyn is trying very hard to convince herself Ryan is the guy for her. I can see them getting divorced when she finally admits how dull he is. She'll move back to New Jersey. He'll buy the house next door to his mother.

Speaking of dull, this season was pretty lackluster. I'm not sure if the couples were just less interesting or if it's because they stretched it out into too many episodes. In season one, the decisions were made in episode 10, this season it was episode 13.

Edited by absolutelyido
  • Love 9

I just want to thank these six dull people for sharing their lives with us and their journey while they write new chapters in their book.  I think that the chapters in the book will reflect the journey and the book will have chapters dedicated to their journey. Journey, chapter, book, journey, chapter, book....repeat thirty times and that's what the first 90 minutes of this waste of time was (and also the last pointless 17 minutes).

My girlfriend who hooked me onto this train wreck, BAILED at the two hour mark!  She should have finished with me so that we could have finished the journey together and close this chapter of our book.

Yes, I am looking forward to the reunion next week and I hate myself for it....journey

• Love 20

I have to admit I only watched the last hour just to see who stayed together and who didn't.

I figured the first hour would just be a recap of the couples journey.

Not surprised about Sean and Davina. I didn't expect them to be in such a hurry to get away from each other. But really, they just were not into each other.

Ryan and Jess stayed together. But I saw the previews for the reunion show next week. I won't say anymore.

I wish Ryan and Jaclyn good luck. This was the only couple I felt had somewhat of a chance.

• Love 1

How nice that Jess found her "Prince Charming." I still think Ryan is King of Massengill Land, but at least they're happy. For now. I mean, they did get a fish. So that's . . . promising?

• Love 3
(edited)

OMG.

I would have taken a Dramamine before watching if I had any idea that I would hear the word JOURNEY eleventy-million, two hundred-forty-seven quadrillion times. SHUT UP all of you 6 + 4 asshats!

And I would have worn a Hazmat suit if I had any idea of the magnitude of the bullshit marathon cliches that rained and snowed and tsunamied over our heads from start to end of this freakin finale.

I HATE EVERYBODY involved this season, including the EXPERTS. If somebody put a gun to my head, I would say I could tolerate Jaclyn and Ryan Basement 2%of the time. But every person here was a media whore, phony jerk, jackass liar, tv star-wannabe.

My only notable observations:

1. Davina and Sean continued their whirlwind Back to Toddlerhood Tour with Messages in a Bottle! Holy freakin cannoli.

2. During Decision, as Davina explained why she hates Sean, Cilona and Levkoff stared her down like Hannibal Lecter.

However, as Sean recited HIS reasons for hating Davina, Cilona nodded SO MUCH, I got mesmerized. Man.

The season and the finale were just awful in their length, duration, repetitiveness and hateful phoniness.

ETA: jamblastx! Yes! OMG journey, chapter, book! LOL.

Edited by sleekandchic
  • Love 8

How nice that Jess found her "Prince Charming." I still think Ryan is King of Massengill Land, but at least they're happy. For now. I mean, they did get a fish. So that's . . . promising?

Like I noted on another board, if he's Prince Charming, someone forgot the charming part. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I have to watch my language here so I'll just say.....what a bunch of hooey, and ca-ca poo. Davina deserves to be an old maid she's such a high maintenance woman. I feel like slapping her when she does 'the face'.....you all know what I mean. Sean may have a shot at love and marriage some day, I'm not sure if that will be a man or woman he marries, but I think he'll find someone. Ryan and Jaclyn MIGHT make it another six months, that depends on whether or not he flashes his false teeth just once too often and whether or not she 'guffaws' too much with her boisterous hee-haw laugh. Jessica and Ryan might make the news again some day, when Ryan loses his cool and the police are called for a domestic dispute. (run Jessica, run!)

All in all, I hated all these couples. They are all mis-matched to high Hell. The so-called 'experts' couldn't have done a worse job pairing up these mistfits.  What a crappy show.

p.s. Oh yeah, and it was funnier than anything when Sean dropped the lego farm and it flew all over the floor of that dingy apartment. What what was up with the back of those doors anyway?   Freaks, all of them.

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 5

Clown painting sighting!

What the heck did HundyRyan do to his hair in the reunion show? Looks terrible.

omg, Sean said he found God during the experiment.

He has no shame.

I would have taken the large photo for a dart board.

Davina looked like she wanted to shove the lego helicopter into his stupid face.

In the tease for the reunion, he gets confronted for calling Davina, Satan.

That's reason enough to watch next week.

• Love 8
(edited)

It ended exactly as I thought it would.   Jaclyn and Ryan were pretty much the only couple I could stand and I figured they were in it to win it.  

Ryan and Jess are obviously staying together because Ryan is deeply in love with Destiny.    Who will probably kill the fish. Or maybe go on a reality show with the fish.

Sean and Davina-there are no words. 

Edited by rulesoftravel
  • Love 4

Ugh, I watched that on FYI, it was over two freakin' hours, most of it a rehash!  I think Jessica wants to see where it goes but she's not convinced.  Ryan Douche came around a little too late for her to be completely buying it, and with good reason.  But he successfully schmoozed her into sticking with it.  

Basement Ryan, man, what a freakin' stick in the mud he is!  He probably grew up eating nothing but meatballs and spaghetti and has no adventure for any food other than the same 5 meals he's eaten his whole life.  That says it all with him.  Jaclyn is too much for him because he is so limited in his interests.  I realized tonight that it's not just that he's an introvert and she's an extrovert, but that he's just not very sophisticated plus he's very laid back and she's a go getter - Not the same thing as introversion/extroversion.  There are laid back extroverts and go-getting introverts.  Ryan is so laid back he'd but a statue to sleep.   That said, I think there's a lot for both of them to appreciate about each other, but can Jaclyn put up with him being a total bore?  I think after a while she'll tire of him.

Sean and Davina - Wow, I was hoping Davina would really open up to the truth from her point of view and really stick it to Sean but she held too much back to not get into arguments and now she still looks like the bad guy.   Plus she left herself open to Sean sticking it to her and he went for it!  What a total prick!  He's like that guy that abuses his wife in private but to the world he acts like the nice guy, and the world buys it! 

Sean's parents on the sofa - I thought to myself, they don't even totally buy their own son, it's obvious. 

I still wish they had matched the cats, that would have been more entertaining than this!  I agree with whoever said that the 6 month follow-up will be more revealing and interesting.

That's all I have right now.

• Love 9
(edited)

I wasn't surprised at all. I knew this was coming. For two of them, it was fairly obvious. 

It wasn't as obvious as S1, where there were two couples very clearly in love and one that was done, though. Hope S3 is a little better and a little shorter.

Edited by VanSensei
  • Love 1

I actually think Jaclyn and Ryan are a pretty great couple.  And I do think they have a lot in common and they totally like each other.  And they have a cat.  Pretty sure that at 6 months, they'll still be together.

• Love 4

Davina and Sean were a no brainer. Maybe Sean was blindsided by what Davina said because he's so used to listening  to the sound of his own voice (seriously the asking questions so HE can answer drove me nuts.) Davina constantly calling him weak doesn't make her look great, ether, but she's been pretty up front on her compalints about him.

Ryan D and Jess- 2 weeks does not make up for 4. The recap did them no favors, as it was a reminder of how nasty it had been. Jessica isn't saying she's willing to work with Ryan through his faults... she's saying they just better not show up again, which to me is delusional. A person can't change so much that fast.Ryan keeps saying he needs to learn people "don't think like he does", and whatnot, not really that he needs to learn how to not treat people better, and not blow up so quickly. Most of the season he was just "this is how I am", and it was Jessica who was just different. I was hoping they would end it here. I don't see them lasting long at all, I had said to my mother even before the previews that I wouldn't be shocked if they were already done. Now that they didn't get divorced in the six weeks, if they get divorced at say 12months of marriage, will Jessica be entitled to any of Ryan's alleged money? I assume they all signed agreements/a prenup of sorts, to walk away with their own stuff and the show see's to that if they divorce after the 6 weeks, but what would happen now? I'm not talking years down the road, because that's a real marriage. Ryan may feel trapt if he has to give her something now, and I don't see him reacting to that realization well at all.

Ryan R and Jaclyn- Ryan's friend made a very good point, that I've made my self once or twice to friends (and once my brother), that just because someone is a good person, that doesn't mean they're good for you. In a way that's like settling mentality and in the long run I think that can lead to issues. However, I do like them. I figured they will give it a try. I wonder though where they will live? I don't know how long they'll last,but out of all the couples, I think they actually a genuine respect for each other and with time, and hopefully without having to make good TV, they can work out the kinks of the relationship and have a better shot.

Over all though the season was a let down. The show got really lucky with the first season cast and I wasn't expecting this group to be as good... but I didn't think they'd be this much of a drag, either. Too much "what were the experts thinking?!"  I can't help but wonder if the show was pushing to have two couples stay,  like last season. If two didn't stay that would give them a fail rate for the season, and 50/50 over all. I bothers me how they act though like "staying" means they can't/won't get a divorce at another time.

• Love 7

Now, this is why I get tired of people throwing the word filler around left and right. THIS is filler. This could have easily been one hour and out. But, we had to sit through their last days of doing nothing and endless recapping. That, my friends, is filler.

• Love 9
omg, Sean said he found God during the experiment.

He has no shame.

I would have taken the large photo for a dart board.

Davina looked like she wanted to shove the lego helicopter into his stupid face.

In the tease for the reunion, he gets confronted for calling Davina, Satan.

That's reason enough to watch next week.

In Sean's newly found religion, if Satan is Davina I'd bet God must be Dr. C.  What a truly warped view of heaven that is!  I'm sorry but I agree with Davina.  She inasmuch said he was a "pussy" by calling him "weak".  I think Sean was threatened by Davina's strength of character, and that's why she turned him off.  People call her "high maintenance".  I don't think Davina is all that high maintenance.  When a man knows what he wants and sticks with it, people applaud him.  Why should a woman have to be the one to bend and twist and give up everything they want to please a man or be called high maintenance?  That's not fair.  Davina is a highly intelligent, successful woman who has fought to hold onto her self respect, and I applaud that.  She needs a man who is not threatened by her.  She shouldn't have to turn into a wet dishrag in order to win some insecure schmuck's affection.  If she looked at him negatively it's because she knew he was too threatened by her and she was pissed off at the implied insult to her and rejection that carried with it.  Of course on camera she came off looking like the one who's impossible to please because of it.

• Love 19
Ryan R and Jaclyn- Ryan's friend made a very good point, that I've made my self once or twice to friends (and once my brother), that just because someone is a good person, that doesn't mean they're good for you. In a way that's like settling mentality and in the long run I think that can lead to issues. However, I do like them. I figured they will give it a try. I wonder though where they will live? I don't know how long they'll last,but out of all the couples, I think they actually a genuine respect for each other and with time, and hopefully without having to make good TV, they can work out the kinks of the relationship and have a better shot.

I thought that was a great point too.  When I was young I dated a guy and everyone thought we should end up together because he was such a great guy, yada yada.  We ended up platonic friends - There was no spark there and all the goodness in the world couldn't make up for it.  It was a shame but I had to move on.  I think Jaclyn and Ryan have both been single so long that they feel they have to make big sacrifices because it's so hard just to find a good person that shares their values, especially as they get older.  From Jac's point of view, to quote another show, finding a good single guy after a certain age is like "finding a snow leopard in your backyard".  It's so rare and you wonder if you'll ever find one like that again so you tend to want to hold onto him despite the rough spots.  Ryan might be working off a different motivation.  He's like the episode in "Sex and the City" that likened men to taxicabs.  When they're ready to settle down, they usually do it with the next willing woman who comes along.

• Love 3

The show seems so fake. The suspense the cast members try to project, Sean sucking his toe, the way Jaclyn prefaces her decision...it all seems orchestrated by the producers. I love the show but I wish it was less contrived.

• Love 1

I'd like to take a minute to echo JapMo's comment and say it's been such a pleasure to read all your posts this season. The show occasionally made my brain bleed but the comments had me cackling on the couch for hours. Honestly, there were times that I was laughing so hard, it was hard to breathe. Many thanks to you all for your contributions throughout this "journey" into the "toxic abyss"!

• Love 13

Here’s what I think will happen:

The couples will meet with one or more experts, they will outline some of the highlights and lowlights of the last 6 weeks, the dramatic music will build and Dr. Levkoff will ask if they want to stay married or get a divorce.  Break for commercial.

After the commercial, they replay some of the material leading up to the commercial, and replay Dr. Levkoff’s question.  Cameras will move between the faces of the participants, dramatic music will swell and the participants will respond.

Two glorious hours of it!

Haha! I have never FF'd more in my life than I did tonight. Ridiculous pontificating and filler. And aethist heathen liberal that I am, I do think this whole show made a complete mockery out of the institution of marriage.

• Love 1

. Why? What did Monet say? Thanks

I'll have to rewatch, but I think it was during/after the Jessica Ryan decision, and I made an inference from her expression that she was reliving her own situation. 

Sorry to be so vague.

(edited)

Joseph Cilona looks different to me in every photo and in almost every TH. In his spotlights during the Decisions, he really looked odd, imo. Almost uncomfortable in his own skin.

Sean and Cilona really, really bonded and liked each other. Much more so than Sean and Davina. Anyone else notice the full-on, strong, lingering embrace each man gave the other at the end of Decision time? Sean also hugged Levkoff, and Davina also hugged both experts, but all those hugs were much quicker and more perfunctory. Im sure Davina would have liked a tight hug from her husband during their six (actually, THREE) weeks of wedded

bliss-ters.

Sean couldnt even be bothered to hold Davina's hand or elbow as they walked from car to studio on the wintry sidewalk. "Watch that ice, there!" he graciously instructed his platonic wife.

And why wasn't the non-consummation of their marriage even discussed? The sexologist and Cilona were suddenly shy? Davina was purposeful in her use of the term, platonic marriage. I'm guessing she wanted to discuss the elephant in the room and its serious repercussions. But fragile, anxiety-ridden Sean escaped that terror-filled convo. Or, at least, it was left on the cutting-room floor. Just as well, I suppose.

Ryan Basement was full-on blushing during his and Jaclyn's Decision spotlight. I gotta give Jaclyn credit for not grabbing that hideous sleeveless blue tee Ryan prefers for at-home lounging, and burning it in the sink.

I liked the cats. Ryan Douche bringing home that fish to Jess scared me though. The couple's next knockdown, dragout will culminate with Ryan handfeeding Goldie to Destiny. That's just Ryan's way!

Edited by sleekandchic
  • Love 5
(edited)

Sean was fucking shady and weak.  WTF with the gas-lighting of Davina?  He tells the "experts" stuff that he didn't tell her?  What a shady bastard!  He's the type of man who will tell a wife that he loves her and then tell his buddies what a "bitch" he's married to.  Even Ryan D. with his "anger issues" wouldn't pull that shit.  He'd call you a bitch to your face, and frankly, I'd prefer that.  Say it to my face, not behind my back.  

And what was that, taking the ring off nonsense?  So dramatic Sean.  I hope he stays off my TV screen forever.  

I have to watch my language here so I'll just say.....what a bunch of hooey, and ca-ca poo. Davina deserves to be an old maid she's such a high maintenance woman.

So a woman should be an old maid because she has standards?  And who the heck uses the word "old maid" in this day and age?  What's the male equivalent of "old maid" anyway?

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 16