Type keyword(s) to search

Between - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

The thing for me was when Wiley was hinting that she knew why Adam's dad bailed. "Because he got me pregnant" seems an adequate answer while giving the baby a purpose beyond being an anchor. And we've barely gotten any interaction between Chuck and Wiley as far as I can remember (which admittedly is not far).

Also, re: the Mennonites, I was thinking that maybe they had some immunity from being in an isolated society and the guy was actually older. Of course, maybe he's just naturally really hairy.

Edited by DigitalCount

WTF was that???  I mean, this whole season had me thinking "WTF", but that last episode really was the mother-load of WTF-ery.  I don't know what bothered me more - Adam's hair or his willingness to wipe out the entire human race over the age of 22.  FYI, man, all your little buddies will reach that age eventually.

• Love 2
(edited)

I've never heard of Degrassi.  The only actor I've heard of here is Jeanette McCurdy, from iCarly.  I wondered if the Gord actor was British but can't find any info.  Apparently Degrassi and the company who makes this show (with Netflix) are both Canadian.  Maybe they're mostly Canadian actors?  Yeah, imdb shows most of them are Canadian.  

Edited by Guest

Adam's hair is like a Geico caveman.  Wiley's lashes are bordering on Tammy Fay Baker territory.  Gord actor looked the same age as his hanging father.  

I love the science here.  It makes Wayward Pines seem like Stephen Hawking wrote it.  So the bio-agent is tied into our 'biological clock', which apparently is the same as our calendar, since the virus kills you within days of your 22nd birthday, regardless of anything actual biological.  

I'm out.  

(edited)

Oh my god. At the 'Chuck's father is the baby daddy' confession, I just couldn't stop laughing. Only this show. But hey, at least Chuck has one family member left!

Adam's dad is an idiot. He knows Adam was exposed too, and he was willing to risk one life who could/would infect everyone else. Like, that loses the purpose of what the government was trying to do!

If there somehow happens to be a season 2, I don't think I'll want to tune in. 

ETA: Ok, so I wrote this before I finished the episode, so....ok, never mind about the Adam's dad thing but still. He could have said that at the beginning.

Edited by Lady Calypso
(edited)

OMG, some of this acting!  Ouch.

I'll admit, I was not expecting Wiley to say it was Chuck's dad as her baby daddy. I was pretty sure she'd say it was Chuck. so I was all...whaaaat?!!

I was not giving my full attention while watching the finale, so why did Adam's dad infect everyone? Was it basically because of wanted to thin the herd from because of over population and dwindling resources? Oy!

Glad this was only six eps.

Edited by Valny

I was not giving my full attention while watching the finale, so why did Adam's dad infect everyone? Was it basically because of wanted to thin the herd from because of over population and dwindling resources? Oy!

Glad this was only six eps.

Something about population growth and it getting out of hand....or something. I wasn't fully paying attention either. 

Me too.

I believe it was due to overpopulation.  Which is so stupid.  The population growth rate has been declining for 60 years and overpopulation hasn't been a legitimate concern for almost as long.  If you want to save the earth, there are about 1000 better ways than killing off US adults.  

I believe it was due to overpopulation.  Which is so stupid.  The population growth rate has been declining for 60 years and overpopulation hasn't been a legitimate concern for almost as long.  If you want to save the earth, there are about 1000 better ways than killing off US adults.  

I think you mean Canadian adults, but the point still stands.

So, the soldiers were told they were giving vaccines, right? So that they would carry out their orders? And yet...

Not a single one of them said "Hey, shouldn't WE get the vaccine BEFORE we go in there, so we don't have to worry about getting infected? Then there wouldn't be such a rush to get it done quickly and we wouldn't need the masks?" I mean, seriously! First rule of airplanes! Secure your own safety before you help others!*

It took almost two weeks for all of the adults in town to die off originally, but these guys all died within a couple of hours?

They were expected to give everyone in the town a shot before they lost their short window before death, but the shots obviously worked quickly too, so... they were supposed to not notice that everyone who got the shot was falling down dead? 

For soldiers who were supposed to think that they were on a mission to help, they sure were angry and aggressive.

Sounded like yes, Adam's dad was working on a population control virus, but not one he expected to hit so young and so aggressively. It was a preliminary test version that the other guy prematurely released. Probably was aiming towards something more like in Logan's Run or that Star Trek episode with David Ogden Stiers, where everyone reaches 60 or so and then is expected to die.  

The baby daddy reveal made no sense. Why say it right then? That had nothing to do with the discussion at hand. If Chuck had said "I have to take revenge, she was my only family I had left" , then it might have made sense to say "Um, actually...". But with that dialogue, it was more of a weird diversion.  And I really wish that when Chuck was saying "why didn't they stay with her?" someone had said "Because you've been shooting at people and stringing them up so of course they'd be scared of how you'd react, that's why". 

*Speaking of which, I'm surprised conspiracy genius Adam didn't think of that, either. Instead of barging in and fighting their way through, they could have just suggested to the guards that they needed to give themselves the vaccine first before inoculating the kids.

• Love 2

It seemed pretty clear that the soldiers knew they were killing everyone; the time window had more to do with, "You have x amount of time or you'll die," so they had to rush so they could save themselves not understanding what they walked into. 

However, here is my issue---if this was released, how? Air? Water? Why is this one singular town the only one affected? That is not really how biological warfare starts. 

Either way, I'm out---this is without a doubt, in my Top 3 of worst, waste of times I've ever seen. 

Oh my god. At the 'Chuck's father is the baby daddy' confession, I just couldn't stop laughing. Only this show. But hey, at least Chuck has one family member left!

I was just confused as to what that had to do with Chuck's legitimate point about Pat running over his sister... Pat was driving and Wiley was a passenger...

At that point I wondered what the hell her confession that he now had a brother had to do with anything. Other than he should have wanted his dad's mistress to come join him in the Mansion he apparently lives in.

Something about population growth and it getting out of hand....or something. I wasn't fully paying attention either. 

Me too.

There's 7 billion people in the world at the moment and there is a finite supply of resources. Population growth rate may be declining but quality of life (consumption of resources) keeps increasing for those in the first world nations which is why everyone is apparently cool with ditching their phones every other year for a replacement and length of life keeps increasing for those around. Overpopulation is an issue but creating a virus to solve it is stupid. It'd be better to try and find a new world to ease off the pressure or consume less or increase birth control options or any number of things that will probably never be done because of politics.

So, the soldiers were told they were giving vaccines, right? So that they would carry out their orders? And yet...

Not a single one of them said "Hey, shouldn't WE get the vaccine BEFORE we go in there, so we don't have to worry about getting infected? Then there wouldn't be such a rush to get it done quickly and we wouldn't need the masks?" I mean, seriously! First rule of airplanes! Secure your own safety before you help others!*

It took almost two weeks for all of the adults in town to die off originally, but these guys all died within a couple of hours?

They were expected to give everyone in the town a shot before they lost their short window before death, but the shots obviously worked quickly too, so... they were supposed to not notice that everyone who got the shot was falling down dead? 

For soldiers who were supposed to think that they were on a mission to help, they sure were angry and aggressive.

Sounded like yes, Adam's dad was working on a population control virus, but not one he expected to hit so young and so aggressively. It was a preliminary test version that the other guy prematurely released. Probably was aiming towards something more like in Logan's Run or that Star Trek episode with David Ogden Stiers, where everyone reaches 60 or so and then is expected to die.  

The baby daddy reveal made no sense. Why say it right then? That had nothing to do with the discussion at hand. If Chuck had said "I have to take revenge, she was my only family I had left" , then it might have made sense to say "Um, actually...". But with that dialogue, it was more of a weird diversion.  And I really wish that when Chuck was saying "why didn't they stay with her?" someone had said "Because you've been shooting at people and stringing them up so of course they'd be scared of how you'd react, that's why". 

*Speaking of which, I'm surprised conspiracy genius Adam didn't think of that, either. Instead of barging in and fighting their way through, they could have just suggested to the guards that they needed to give themselves the vaccine first before inoculating the kids.

The soldiers who kept complaining about being put at risk made no sense. If you think you have an inoculation against the virus than why wouldn't you have taken that before hand. My response would be if you're so worried about the virus you take the inoculation.

As for why it was spread it was apparently done so by a rogue scientist that had his pockets pickpocketed after death by Adam. As for why it'd affect the soldiers faster than the original adults is every single person under 21 is a carrier so they'd be exposed to multiple disease vectors and die faster or at least that's my headcanon.

This show is so awesomely bad. Binge watched the whole thing, and I feel like it might have made a really great movie. But six hours was kind of painful to get through witch such terrible acting. Adam needed to tone down his hair and amp up his line readings. I cracked up at the deadpan delivery of "Oh no the grocery store is on fire."

Did I miss where exactly the title "Between" came from?

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 4:09 AM, shantown said:

This show is so awesomely bad. Binge watched the whole thing,

Oh so they're not releasing one a week like the first season?  I barely remember what happened last season so I have to get a refresher course. But there are a lot of other things I'd want to watch first for now. But then again, it's only six eps.
So was this season better than the first shantown?  I'm sure that's not saying much if it is though.

On 2 July 2016 at 1:31 PM, Valny said:

Oh so they're not releasing one a week like the first season?  I barely remember what happened last season so I have to get a refresher course. But there are a lot of other things I'd want to watch first for now. But then again, it's only six eps.
So was this season better than the first shantown?  I'm sure that's not saying much if it is though.

I just watched it on the weekend, it's a teeny tiny bit better - I think! Please please watch it, I need someone to talk about it with ?

• Love 1
On 7/3/2016 at 5:42 AM, Save Yourself said:

I just watched it on the weekend, it's a teeny tiny bit better - I think! Please please watch it, I need someone to talk about it with ?

I'm watching.  Unfortunately.

I really want to like this show, but all the characters, every last one, are so damn dumb.  I haven't figured out if it's a "kids are dumb and shouldn't be left to make adult decisions" thing or just plain, awful writing and character development.

2 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

I really want to like this show, but all the characters, every last one, are so damn dumb.  I haven't figured out if it's a "kids are dumb and shouldn't be left to make adult decisions" thing or just plain, awful writing and character development.

It's such a short series and short episodes so I knocked it over on the weekend, after watching 'intense' shows the last few months and having to actually think I needed a brainless show to decompress! Although Zoo is much more fun, dumb and fun is better :)

I can forgive the kids being dumb because they are only kids and I don't expect them to know much but what IS weird is they don't seem traumatised in any way! All of their parents died, they have barely any food, some of them are close to turning 22 but nobody seems scared or upset? They seem much too together after having gone through all that.

Which episode are you up to?

On 7/1/2016 at 11:31 PM, Valny said:

Oh, I binged the first season when I found it. I didn't even realize the second season was already out! I don't think it could be any worse than the first! 

9 hours ago, Save Yourself said:

11 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

It's such a short series and short episodes so I knocked it over on the weekend, after watching 'intense' shows the last few months and having to actually think I needed a brainless show to decompress! Although Zoo is much more fun, dumb and fun is better :)

I can forgive the kids being dumb because they are only kids and I don't expect them to know much but what IS weird is they don't seem traumatised in any way! All of their parents died, they have barely any food, some of them are close to turning 22 but nobody seems scared or upset? They seem much too together after having gone through all that.

Which episode are you up to?

I just finished it last night.

My husband and I watched last season and just binge-watched Season 2.  I don't remember the first season being so.... dumb.lol  I think it's a combination of bad writing and not so great acting, although I think the actors who portray Harrison and Frannie are very good (they're the 2 kids who were bowling and playing in the bowling alley).

I agree that too many of them are "too together" and not really traumatized by everything that happened in the last few weeks (their time frame).

And how convenient that the Mennonite mom was lactating and could feed the baby.  I didn't like that Gord got killed, but it wasn't really surprising.  I guess in a show like this, nothing is surprising because it's so unrealistically written. 

The "living off the grid" compound is kind of stupid.  And the secret stock of food in the shipping container.  I just didn't find any of that storyline interesting really.

Season 1 was better, in my humble opinion.  But I'll keep watching.  Does anyone know if there will be a Season 3??

• Love 1

The girl who play Frannie was in The Book of Negros and she is good. The rest, meh.

The acting in this show is terrible. And too many characters, I don't know their names and who died and who is still alive. 

What I can't stand is the little kids running around, unattended - even if some are in the mock day care. They don't miss their family, they don't cry, there are no babies in the town that need constant attention, the slightly older kids become organized criminals overnight.

The time frame of the two seasons is about two months, until the pathetic "extraction".

(edited)

Just watched episode 1.

So happy to see that Wiley still hates her baby. Baby wailing and Wiley says something like "He's fine. He's just hungry." My god, he's a month old.

Did they kinda sorta kill that nice old lady just so they could see if they're still contagious? Because it kinda seems like they did and she deserved better than to be Wiley and Mumble's canary in a coal mine.

Didn't that one guy (the guy who lives out in the country with his sister and brother) try to rape Wiley last season? Is he getting a redemption arc? He needs to be taken out of the show. I may hate Wiley but rape is the dealbreaker.

I still like Chuck most. Gord looks like he's about ready to retire.

Did Ronnie's brother, Pat, get killed last season and now he's Ghost Pat?

Wiley really needs to get the baby something to eat, soooooooo how bout that milk in your boobs. Is there any explanation as to why she;s not breastfeeding?

Edited by zibnchy
stuff

I like premises like this, reminds me of the Gone series and Under the Dome(liked the book, bailed out on the series).  I haven't finished season 2, but I have seen the first episode. Hate how Gordy doesn't listen to his sister, and I'm also a fan of Frannie. I'm finding Adam annoying but I didn't during the first season. I'm glad that the Juno character told him off.  Don't know if I'll finish, but at least the show isn't going the route of each episode being devoted to a specific problem (*sneers at UTD) Ronnie's having the convo with his dead brother in the car would have been more affecting had he not broken down into snuffling tears. 

Just started watching season 2.  I see that none of these people got any smarter during the break.  In fact, they may have become stupider.  Episode 1, one of the beginning scenes... kid stabs himself and dies.  Yep, stupid.  And why is no one just air-dropping food into the town?

They are giving us the GOT treatment of killing mayor characters, I guess the only ones left alive would be Wiley and Adam?

So I gathered that the vaccine got rid of her tumor? if so, maybe they discovered cure for cancer accidentally? LOL

Also that what she gets for not breastfeeding the baby, had to give him away after all.

continued, after watching the last episode.... Not only it's cure for cancer and heals wounds fast, but it seems immortality syrup, I mean the baby still looks newborn and he's 7 month's old.. LOL

I want to know why Shaved Head and Rich Boy dragged that woman in the prison all the way to the room with the computer and palm scanner, only to cut off her hand once they arrived.  You know you could have cut off her hand and just carried that, right?

• Love 1
On 7/17/2016 at 8:38 PM, Canada said:

I want to know why Shaved Head and Rich Boy dragged that woman in the prison all the way to the room with the computer and palm scanner, only to cut off her hand once they arrived.  You know you could have cut off her hand and just carried that, right?

I think Dumb and Dumber didn't realize her cold dead hand would not contort the way they needed for a scanner read so they cut it off.  Although I infer from your comment that you think they are idiots and on this we agree :)

I know I'm late to the party but I just started binge watching after a roach the size of Saturn locked me in my room until my boyfriend came for the heroic rescue. I'm on Season 2 now because I love terrible television. I just want to say Gord is 56 if he is a day and the Amish family looks like the man and the lady who had a baby should be collecting social security if they paid into the system.

I also don't get why "every rich boy in a lifetime movie who knocks up a poor girl only to discover the rich girl he loves is crazy so he makes a life with the poor girl only after his disapproving father accepts his decision with the help of his docile mother" Chuck didn't think to pay the guards for food and favors. Since his money is no good in Pretty Lake did he just figure the entire world stop using currency? He had so much to trade (cars, cash, valuables etc) 

And after only 53 days in quarantine they are out of food? Everywhere? How the (*@&%% much do each person eat? I have enough snacks and other crap in my apartment that I could win a challenge by not going to the store for 53 days and just eat what I have on hand. They have electricity and Morgan Freeman (Gord) and Franny HAVE A FARM.  

• Love 1

Just started watching this show and it is hard to get through. About halfway through first season but don't feel compelled to continue. I agree that it is hard to root for anyone (except for Frannie). Gord is dumb as a box of rocks and keeps trying to save everyone while leaving his little sister to fend for herself. And that hockey dude somehow thinks he has a better moral compass because of his last name? Wiley's mascara is distracting and I can't tell if the guy who plays Adam is a bad actor or if that monotone is just his schtick. Also, get that guy some conditioner STAT. His hair is crying out for help. All the women on the show -- except for Wiley -- kind of look alike and hard to distinguish them.

• Love 1

And after only 53 days in quarantine they are out of food? Everywhere? How the (*@&%% much do each person eat? I have enough snacks and other crap in my apartment that I could win a challenge by not going to the store for 53 days and just eat what I have on hand. They have electricity and Morgan Freeman (Gord) and Franny HAVE A FARM.  

It's probably way too long to comment but....

Yup there's actually two farms - the diary farm run by Gordo, and whatever the Mennonites grow (although with this show, the Mennonites just might be bitcoin farmers).

The problem is that it's winter so they really can't grow much even if they constructed greenhouses etc, and Gordo is a dumbass who doesn't think - he's killing the cows that provide milk just so the screaming orphans can eat steak.

So it is 5 years later and I have made this series part of my nighttime pandemic viewing (thanks The Society series).  How have I fallen into teen apocalyptic series viewing?  I blame it is a side effect of quarantining and nothing new is being filmed right now.  If they made this a touch worse ala the Sharknado movies this would be must see campy fun.  For now this is network Sunday night B (maybe C) actor juvenile written fun.  With the right amount of alcohol this can be comedy fun as well.  I'll finish the series cause I'm no quitter - ugh!