Type keyword(s) to search

Jurassic World (2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Even though it's ridiculous that these dumbasses still haven't learned their lesson after three movies, I'm in. I just can't resist dinosaurs fucking shit up. :D

I guess Chris Pratt is the new Jeff Goldblum...pointing out the idiocy of others by merely stating the obvious (creating a super predator - particularly in the middle of a glorified amusement park - is maybe not the best idea?)

• Love 5

The more I see of this movie the less excited I get. Too much CGI, it's coming across like Transformers with (real) dinosaurs. And the leads look like total stock characters.

That first teaser trailer still wins on nostalgia alone.

Even though it's ridiculous that these dumbasses still haven't learned their lesson after three movies, I'm in. I just can't resist dinosaurs fucking shit up. :D

I love you.

Inquiring minds want to know:

Will Chris Pratt seductively pose on a table sans shirt after being bit in the leg?

Will another truck be pushed over a 100ft ledge that was level with the road a minute prior? Immediate sink hole?

I hope it's OK that I post something about Jurassic Park here because I find thinking about the original just gets me even more excited to watch dinosaurs fuck shit up.  The internet agrees with #9! http://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo/15-questions-jurassic-park-left-unanswered#.rqqL0KgwM

• Love 1

The internet agrees with #9!

It may not have been necessary, but I'm damn glad they included that shot  :)

I'm in for this one.  Why not?  It looks like good fun and the kids want to see it, anyway.  However, I'm not going to pay full price for an evening showing, nor will I pay extra for IMAX and/or 3-D.  I told the kids we could go on a weekend and see it on the first showing when we can pay matinee prices. 

• Love 1

Honestly, at this point, I'm rooting for the dinosaurs. ;)

Clearly mankind is desperate to be wiped out since they weren't satisfied with just bringing back the previous 'top of the food-chain' winners...they've now gone and cooked one up which makes those apex predators look like hamsters.

• Love 5

I'm going to be disappointed if the T-Rex isn't the big damn hero in this movie. It makes me nervous hearing how big and brilliant this new dinosaur is that the T-Rex is going to be out-matched.

I'm sure Chris Pratt will have his moments too.

• Love 4
(edited)

Honestly, at this point, I'm rooting for the dinosaurs. ;)

Clearly mankind is desperate to be wiped out since they weren't satisfied with just bringing back the previous 'top of the food-chain' winners...they've now gone and cooked one up which makes those apex predators look like hamsters.

A wise man once said "God created man. Man destroyed God. Man created dinosaurs"

I'd be more impressed with the new mega-sauraus if it was shown jumping from its pool to swallow a megaladon (which would also need to be brought back from extinction).

SnoGirl - I'm hoping the T-Rex is the same one from the first movie. Sure, we're 22 years later but living on an island with no real predators... anything is possible.

This is an interesting site with the series movie canon timeline.  I don't remember a lot of the little details - I think it's time for a marathon!

Shannon L. Costco tickets are good for opening weekend and cost less than matinee prices <wink wink nudge nudge>

New official trailer. It shows more of the new dinosaur and different clips. 

Edited by theredhead77
(edited)

I was annoyed by the changes they made for the first movie, and wasn't thrilled with the second. I might see this, but I'm also rooting for the dinosaurs - at least when it comes to the scientists and those with the money behind it.

Edited by Anela

Shannon L. Costco tickets are good for opening weekend and cost less than matinee prices <wink wink nudge nudge>

Yes! I keep forgetting about Costco. Unfortunately, the one closest to me is still too far to justify the time and gas to go there for one thing.  If I find that I need a few things from there in the next couple of weeks, I'll put them on my list. 

I'm going to an advance screening next Wednesday (put on by Universal for their local vendors/partners/etc.--yay for generous friends!) and am legit excited, and not just for the free tickets and popcorn. I saw the 3-D preview before Mad Max: Fury Road last weekend and it just looks FUN. And Chris Pratt-y. 

None of the sequels ever appealed to me and hence I never saw them, nor have I watched the original since approximately 1996, so I also hope I'm okay going in blind.

None of the sequels ever appealed to me and hence I never saw them, nor have I watched the original since approximately 1996, so I also hope I'm okay going in blind.

I'm pretty sure all you need to know is that humans are dumb and dinosaurs are kickass. ;)

• Love 5

Clearly mankind is desperate to be wiped out since they weren't satisfied with just bringing back the previous 'top of the food-chain' winners...they've now gone and cooked one up which makes those apex predators look like hamsters

Got to love the corporate thinking process!! 

It looks like Chris Pratt is the alpha of a raptor pack in the trailers.  So silly!!..... but I am grinning from ear to ear.  Can't wait and even though I am tired of all the CGI in movies today, for some reason I can't be upset or put-off when it comes to dinosaurs.  Loved the books and I remember reading JURASSIC PARK  one sitting.

• Love 1

I'm going to an advance screening next Wednesday (put on by Universal for their local vendors/partners/etc.--yay for generous friends!) and am legit excited, and not just for the free tickets and popcorn. I saw the 3-D preview before Mad Max: Fury Road last weekend and it just looks FUN. And Chris Pratt-y. 

So if I already bought tickets (Select a seat theaters FTW!) for the regular should I go to the trouble of exchanging them for the 3D showing? I'm usually not a fan of 3D or the extra $$. 

So if I already bought tickets (Select a seat theaters FTW!) for the regular should I go to the trouble of exchanging them for the 3D showing? I'm usually not a fan of 3D or the extra $$.

If you know you're not a 3-D fan--or at least it doesn't really add enough to justify the extra $$$--then I wouldn't do it. The preview made it seem like it was a movie that at least does 3-D passably well, but not that it's a must. (Very few movies fall into the latter category for me--Avatar and Interstellar are the only two that I've really made a concerted effort to see in 3-D.)

(edited)

I'm so tempted to see this movie in theaters. Chris Pratt as a raptor whisperer? Heck yeah! I'm also kind of scared, because I feel like I'd just be cackling throughout the entire movie and then get thrown out.

The movie looks very entertaining though.

Is it bad that I'm secretly hoping CP's raptor besties turn on him at some point in the movie?

^ I feel like a troll writing this, but I honestly think this movie looks fun whether it lives up to the hype or not.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 2

I am ridiculously excited to see this movie, no matter how stupid the premise (and if it's set in a world where Jurassic Park actually existed, then things are being run by some incredibly stupid humans). I love Chris Pratt and I grin like a fool every time I watch the trailer of him riding on a motorcycle in a pack of raptors that are seemingly following him and not attacking.

• Love 1

Born to be Wiiiiiiiiiild

If you know you're not a 3-D fan--or at least it doesn't really add enough to justify the extra $$$--then I wouldn't do it. The preview made it seem like it was a movie that at least does 3-D passably well, but not that it's a must. (Very few movies fall into the latter category for me--Avatar and Interstellar are the only two that I've really made a concerted effort to see in 3-D.)

Gravity wasn't too bad imo

(edited)

Saw the Pratt-hosted special airing of Jurassic Park last night. Please God, let no one ever offer him a presenter's gig or his own talk show—he was AWFUL. It felt as if they just grabbed someone off the street and made him introduce all the segments.

The movie itself holds up pretty well 22 years later, so I hope the new filmmakers live up to the start of the franchise. (I still crack up every time I see that mirror with "Objects are closer than they appear" printed on it showing nothing but the T-Rex's open mouth!)

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 1

Thanks!

I'll keep my tickets. I can always go see it again, in 3D. I saw Jurassic Park in 3D during it's re-release. That was fun. I prefer the 3D experience to be immersive instead of duck to avoid the pokie thing gimmicks. One of the theaters is showing it in 4D. That sounds insane but I refuse to pay $25 for a movie.

What the hell do they do, unleash animatronic dinosaurs on the audience?

Animatronic dinosaurs would be amazing and well worth $25! Sadly there will be no animatronic dinosaurs. I meant to say XD, not 4D.  (Click on XD)

I recently rode the Disneyland railroad. If you aren't familiar, there is a scene with dinosaurs.. a T-Rex and Stegosaurus engaged in the worlds longest staring contest and a pterodactyl staring at the train. I swear they are plotting their escape *g*

I have no idea why I am so excited for this movie and fear I'll be disappointed. I'm not expecting much beyond dinosaurs fucking shit up and Chris Pratt being Chris Pratty without a shirt so I should be good.

• Love 2
I have no idea why I am so excited for this movie and fear I'll be disappointed. I'm not expecting much beyond dinosaurs fucking shit up and Chris Pratt being Chris Pratty without a shirt so I should be good.

*snerk*  *grins*

I think it's generally understood that it's about the dinos, not the "plot" or "dialogue" or "characters". So, as long as the dinos are kick-ass and I get some awesome IMAX roars, I'll probably be satisfied. My needs are simple when it comes to this franchise. ;)

• Love 2
(edited)

For everyone concerned about not seeing any of the sequels - everything I am reading says you don't need that knowledge to enjoy this movie.

However, if you would like an amusing cliff notes Honest Trailers is here to help. I present to you Lost World: Jurassic Park the honest trailer

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 3
(edited)

They didn't bring back Goldblum, Dern or Sam Neil.

Or

The three kids, who are now adults.

Joseph Mazello

Ariana Richards

Vanessa Lee Chester

Instead we get the overexposed Chris Pratt and Ron Howard's daughter.

PASS!

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba
  • Love 2

What the hell do they do, unleash animatronic dinosaurs on the audience?

Animatronic dinosaurs would be amazing and well worth $25! Sadly there will be no animatronic dinosaurs. I meant to say XD, not 4D.  (Click on XD)

And I was mistaken again. It's called D-Box and I am going to experience it in it's 4-D glory. I hardly go to the movies, my friend is really excited about it so what the heck.

Wooooo!!  Because it's FUN!  I love me some giant creatures chomping on people and fucking shit up and we get the Pratt too.  I do love the Goldblum and sexy Sam Neill but Pratt is a-OK with me.

Will Chris Pratt seductively pose on a table sans shirt after being bit in the leg?

I sincerely hope so.

• Love 2

The newer previews I've seen make me wonder why in the hell someone would design a smarter, more vicious T-Rex with arms long enough to grab stuff off the ground. If you want a new tourist attraction, give it peacock feathers or teach it to sing your park's theme song or something.

• Love 4

I just got back from seeing JURASSIC WORLD.  Is it great?  No.  It is entertaining and satisfying unless you are very jaded and I border on jaded.  The action is decent and Chris Pratt makes it enjoyable.  My chief complaint is how very cliched the characters are in the movie.  It's like movie makers go through a list to make sure that the same character types are represented all the time.  Gah!!  The movie does pay nice homage to JURASSIC PARK..  It was nice to see T-Rexy Sexy again. Such a good  boy/girl LOL.

To answer a prior question on this thread as to why they would genetically engineer a new bigger dinosaur.  Well..... because they can and because audiences want to see bigger and badder and that translates into more corporate profits.

A true test for me is whether or not I will look forward to seeing it again on cable.  Yep I will and probably many times.  I don't really watch the JP 2 & 3 but, to this day, I will always turn on the original film and watch with a smile.  The power of dinosaurs!

• Love 7

The newer previews I've seen make me wonder why in the hell someone would design a smarter, more vicious T-Rex with arms long enough to grab stuff off the ground. 

There were two things going on: Claire wanted a cool new dino to attract more park visitors. Scary, but not liable to eat tourists. The scientist in charge of the project, played by B.D. Wong, had a second agenda. He was also working for InGen, the private security firm in charge of the park's security. They and specifically their CEO played by Vincent D'Onofrio, wanted weaponized dinos. So that's why the Indominous Rex had all those cool features, like longer arms, camouflage skin, unnatural intelligence and the ability to avoid heat sensors.

• Love 4
(edited)

I felt like it was a very mixed bag. Loved the homages to the original and some scenes were genuinely exciting and suspenseful. That said,  there were also  a lot of moments that dragged, even after the dinosaurs started fucking things up. Also, I agree the characters were all  annoying tropes, making it hard to care about any of them. I don't think it's the mark of a good movie when the most effective deaths are dinosaurs and not people.  I found myself particularly miffed by  Bryce Dallas Howard's character, who was very much the uptight,  bitchy rom-com workaholic that has to learn to let her hair down and embrace being more compassionate and maternal (which bleh). Also, as much I love him, I wasn't crazy about Chris Pratt as the straight action lead. 

My favorite thing was definitely B.D Wong's "Look at me I'm totally going to be villian" black turtle neck. And of course, the raptor squad! Also, reigning Queen Rexy! 

Edited by Beezel
  • Love 5

Well I loved it. Nothing too deep, just an entertaining summer movie.  The kids weren't too annoying and I didn't hate Bryce Dallas Howard, she was not just some damsel in distress, I thought she was very human throughout.  Absolutely loved the return of the Queen T-Rex, the audience I was with actually cheered when she showed up and the Raptors were great too.

Were those some kind of hybrid pterodactyls? They almost looked like mini T-Rex's with wings.

• Love 4

I loved it. Its a silly popcorn flick and I wanted to yell at the screen every time these people didn't understand that dinosaurs are dangerous, but it was fun, the homages to the movie I loved as a child were spot on and the ending felt earned. Who doesn't want to see a 3-way dino battle? It was awesome.

I was worried that they were going to make Claire's journey about discovering her softer side and her love of children and family and while I think she grew, she was still awkward enough with the kids at the end that I was cool with it. Some people aren't kid people and that's cool. I do wish they'd given Chris Pratt a little more comedy. He's so good at it.

Were those some kind of hybrid pterodactyls? They almost looked like mini T-Rex's with wings.

That's what it looked like to me. InGen is dumb. A flying T-Rex is just a horrible idea. I wish there had been less tourist deaths and more comeuppance for the idiots who made the mess.

(edited)

They didn't bring back Goldblum, Dern or Sam Neil.

Or

The three kids, who are now adults.

Joseph Mazello

Ariana Richards

Vanessa Lee Chester

Instead we get the overexposed Chris Pratt and Ron Howard's daughter.

PASS!

This is like Pratt's first movie since Galaxy. I don't really think that's overexposed. He's just the it guy right now in terms of casting but that's not his fault.

I just personally get in the line with the use of love and this movie. It was fine. I didn't have a bad time at the movies. Some parts worked really well. Beyond that, I can't really muster up any excitement for this movie and it's forgettable as hell. It's not a movie I will be thinking about even a few days right now (other than trying to figure out why it's beloved. I'm sure it will be).

I have zero problems with a good popcorn flick. Cliches and stuff don't have to be a bad thing. But, man, I cared about no characters here. That sullen teenager was getting on my last damn nerve. We spend too much time in the early going hanging with Bryce who does nothing for me as a actress.

Part of what makes the original Jurassic Park work is that you enjoyed watching Sam Neil, Jeff Goldblum Sir Richard, etc. on the screen even if they weren't in danger. Here? Nah

Pratt's character could have been by other people. He didn't have a chance to make it his own.

I enjoyed his bond with the raptors the most. The ending team up was pretty cool. That's all I got.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 2
(edited)

‘Jurassic World’ Dominating Box Office for $162 Million Weekend

We're going to see it tomorrow. Tonight, the kids have insisted that we watch the first one in preparation  :)

Instead we get the overexposed Chris Pratt and Ron Howard's daughter

My guess is that Chris Pratt is the second biggest draw for this movie (the kick-ass dinosaurs being the first). I don't mind if he's over-exposed since from everything I've read he's a genuinely nice guy and I find his acting appealing--especially his comedic performances.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 4

Jurassic Park is a lot of fun even though pretty much everything not involving dinosaurs should probably have been cut out and it should have been a straight action movie. It's a little reminiscent to Rise of the Planet of the Apes in that the humans just bring the film down.

The film has three storylines and botches them all.

1. The love story is a complete waste but at least works as a set-up for a great comedic moment.

2. The divorce/brothers storyline is slammed in so it sticks out like a sore thumb.

3. The people I went to the movie with were confused by the corporate angle which seems like it was mostly put in there to set up a potential sequel and to create a human villain where one wasn't really needed.

On the bright side, they seemed to have understood how bad these storylines were in edit and cut them down to the bare minimum. Although honestly, the film should have learned the lesson from Rise vs. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, lost most of the human stories even more and let us spend more time with the Andominus Rex and watching it learn about life outside of containment (and see the other dinosaurs reacting to a new member of the ecosystem.)

But still, DINOSAURS! The film is a lot of fun, does a good job with fan service, and I thought Jake Johnson supplied the perfect amount of comic relief. The geography of the Island wasn't handled very well and I was a bit disappointed that this was Blunt Force Cinema - we only got one scene of someone being clever to avoid dinosaurs; the rest was all humans inexplicably running faster than dinosaurs. But this is a silly popcorn movie so those things were just passing thoughts while I enjoyed watching the action.

Head in with low expectations and you'll be very entertained.

Oh, and the most impressive thing in the movie is Bryce Dallas Howard's heels. Those things must have been made out of Valerian steel or something.

• Love 2

Now I want to see a SciFi Channel B movie that pits dinosaurs against Björk and Lady Gaga. The former is able to pass among them undetected thanks to her fortuitous dinosaur-themed fashion choices, and the latter matches the deadly weaponry of her outfits against tooth and claw.

• Love 1
(edited)

Is anyone else itching to buy some Starbucks, jewelry from Pandora and uh, a Mercedes? No? Just me then.

That was...not a good movie. It was passable acceptable fine but as something that was supposed to live up to Jurassic Park's legacy I don't think so. There was nothing here but stock characters getting chased by dinosaurs. Chris Pratt even looked like an action figure. And Bryce Dallas Howard's hair went from perfectly straight to perfectly curly over the course of the movie. It all felt so by the numbers.

When they kissed in the middle of the movie all I could think was they didn't earn this. Were we supposed to root for them just because they were opposites?

And if you're going to use that much CGI in a movie maybe have less daytime scenes.

I'd give it a solid C-. I'd give it a C- even if it was a movie on the Syfy channel.

Edited by JessePinkman
  • Love 5

Jurassic Park is a lot of fun even though pretty much everything not involving dinosaurs should probably have been cut out and it should have been a straight action movie. It's a little reminiscent to Rise of the Planet of the Apes in that the humans just bring the film down.

I don't understand.  What would you have had?  Dinosaurs running around for two hours with no people as prey?

The older brother was a jerk.  The trope of teenaged boys being dicks is just overplayed.

I guess BD Wong will be back for the sequel.

• Love 1

I thought it was a lot of fun; a good balance of homage while still poking fun at itself a bit - come on, there's a raptor hero shot! 

The movie wasn't kind about the public's expectations for these kinds of things - ugh, did not like seeing kids riding baby dinos, for example.  Felt worse for the baby dinos when they were being attacked then most of the people.  Poor Claire's assistant, they were just toying with her. 

Chris Pratt sadly kept his shirt on throughout, but at least it was snug.  Bonus points for having to be saved by Claire twice that I remember.   I liked that though he had a bond with the raptors, he didn't have illusions about them either. 

I've read the complaints that Claire comes off as "ice queen business woman" and I didn't get that - she wasn't cold, just very busy.  She's responsible for a gazillion dollar park and 20K lives, she didn't seem uncaring to me, just someone that had to be available for all kinds of crises.  She adapted just fine and managed to run through the movie in heels (OK, silly but whatever).  Stock character yes, like Pratt's, but it worked.  The "sort of" romance was unnecessary, they would have worked together just fine without.   So overall characterization was lacking - the kids were basic and Vincent D'Onofrio's didn't need to be there really, except to set things in motion for a sequel I guess.  

I still had mental list of oddities (why doesn't younger kid have a cell phone too?  why is he carrying matches?  they can't just recall the gyrospheres, they depend on the passengers to drive them back? there's only one guy who can fly the helicopter, so the novice has to do it?) but it did't distract from the fun for me.  I don't have any complaints about the CGI, I was having a good time.

Definitely the most fun of the sequels and I'd put it second to the original. 

• Love 3

Who would have thought old franchises like Mad Max and Jurassic Park would have delivered maybe the two best movies of the summer so far?

I really enjoyed it.  It took me a while to get into it but I was eventually hooked.  The CGI has only gotten better and the dinosaur action was great.  They made an effective villain out of the Indominus.   The audience I was with absolutely loved it.

I keep seeing people calling the older brother, Zach, a bully. He's aloof and indifferent to his younger brother, who seems to be the favorite to his mother. Also, the only convincing his brother needs to go off the path is something along the lines of "c'mon, it'll be fun." And when shit hits the fan, Zach steps up and really takes care of his brother. Maybe years of watching anime have finally taken their toll, but Zach is damn fine older sibling. He really prevented himself and Grey from becoming the load/mill stones Tim and Lex were in the first film. ;)

Also, I completely disagree you have to lower your expectations to enjoy the movie. It's Jurassic World, not Jurassic Park. Nothing is stopping anyone from rewatching Jurassic Park. Every movie is its own movie IMO. It's quite unfair to hold any sequel to the original, given the pedestal JP or Terminator or any other franchise's original movie is on. Not trying to tell anyone what they're opinion should be, but Roger Ebert reviewed every movie on its own merits, regardless if it was schlock or arthouse cinema.

• Love 7

they can't just recall the gyrospheres

Yeah that was a huge question I had too. What if you got lost driving one of those things....it sounds like it would take a lot of effort to get you back.

I thought the movie was good for what it was. I have to say that when the music first started, I could honestly recall the very moment that I first watched Jurassic Park and how much I loved it. It was pretty powerful, to this day anytime it is on tv I will watch it, and my kids are just at the age where they are taking notice of it and enjoying it. 

I think the worst part of the movie for me where the kids, I kept wanting to skip over their scenes and move on. While I can agree that I don't think the older boy was the worst brother ever, he was so annoying. And I don't get what the point was of showing him with a girl at the start of the movie (that I interpreted as being his girlfriend) and then having him stare at every other girl that crossed his path. While I am sure that is supposed to be realistic boy behaviour it seemed like such a pointless waste of time. And of course the younger one had to be a genius....not sure why it would make things less believable if he was just a regular kid who loves dinosaurs. Also for a genius he seemed to act way younger than he looked like he should be. I think I would take Lex and Tim back over these too. 

I have a major crush on Chris Pratt right now so I loved his character. His relationship with the raptors was one of my favorite parts of the movie, it was awesome to see them sticking up for him against the Indominus Rex. The other characters were ok as well, although Vincent D's character just seemed to scream over the top bad guy right from the start....no subtlety there at all. It really is too bad that they didn't have even one small scene with an original character...that would have been a treat to see. 

And wow, could you just imagine if a park like that existed! Every ride they showed just seemed to be cooler than the next. The one with the canoes going down the river with all the dinosaurs around....fantastic. My husband and I were just looking at some of the additional backstage stuff they have at  Disneyworld and commenting on how expensive it is, I'm guessing you would probably have to sell some vital organs and then some to get into Jurassic World. 

• Love 1