Type keyword(s) to search

SNL Season 41: The First-Time Hosts We'd Like To See

• Start Topic

Oh, man, Jaime Camil would be awesome on SNL! I would love to see him opposite one of Maya Rudolph's over the top characters. Although it might make more sense to get Maya Rudolph on JtV.

Ahem, before going too off-topic, these are some very good suggestions. Although I'm picturing Andre Braugher in character as Captain Holt through the entire episode which is probably not how it would go down. Alas.

• Love 1
(edited)

Robert Downey Jr was actually a cast member on Lorne's first year back on the show and hosted once since in 1996.

Very true. And Lorne let him come back and host when Robert was trying to rebound from his troubles. It was a big deal back then and helped him get back on his feet. I think Lorne would love or him to come now, but hosting doesn't seem to be too high on Robert's list of things to do now.

With their movie coming out in December, I'm guessing it's very likely that either Tina or Amy host the Christmas show.

And speaking of the CW, Stephen Amell wants to host badly. He campaigned on Seth's show and instagrammed a pic of himself at homebase on the SNL stage.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2

First: I agree whole-heartedly with every pick in the article!

On the CW thing: Jaime Camil killed on his Whose Line Is IT Anyway? appearance, so he could do even better without crappy accents to deal with.

But we could also maybe get Jesse L. Martin? The man was in Rent ( for the NYC and theater crowds), Law & Order (for the NBC tie) and is now playing dad to a superhero and was menaced by a CGI telepathic gorilla! (promote new season of Flash!)  He could also give a bump to his indie movie that he's making with his Flash co-stars and or do a Marvin Gaye impression or Luther Vandross impression. Plus, I think he might get either Rent alums and/ or Flash co-stars to cameo? 

Aisha Tyler could be fun and odds are? No. Singing. Monologue.  She's done just an insane range of acting, so they could play with XIII, Archer, and Ghost Whisperer.  Maybe she could get Wayne Brady and/ or  Colin and Ryan to show up for a SNL character doing Whose Line?  She also has The Talk, so they might be able to parody that as well.

Steven Amell  seems like a fun and funny dude. Not only can he promote Arrow, but potentially the next TMNT movie, where he plays Casey Jones. Plus? To quote the article, "have you seen him?" 

Other women I'd like to see host: Juliette Lewis ( if she hasn't yet), Martha Plimpton (if she hasn't already), CCH Pounder (Warehouse 13 sketch!), Morena Baccarin,  Tracee Ellis Ross, and S. Epatha Merkerson.  There's more, but I think these ladies could be fun.

• Love 1

Speaking of Terry Crews and Elizabeth Banks...Terry Crews and Elizabeth Banks.

Jaime Camil was easily the best guest star Whose Line has ever had. But for SNL to have someone from the CW host, it would have to be someone super-well-known.

• Love 1

She's done just an insane range of acting, so they could play with XIII, Archer, and Ghost Whisperer.

Who wouldn't love a live Archer sketch, complete with a Chris Parnell cameo?

• Love 1

Rebel Wilson. Yes,I know she's not everyone's cup of tea.lol

I think Elizabeth Banks is a great suggestion. I think I'd like to see Yvette Nicole Brown....and also anyone of the main cast of The Walking Dead. Hoo boy, that would make my day (night) :D

Oh, yeah. One more-Carrie Preston, who is AWESOME in my book.

(edited)

Thomas Lennon from The Odd Couple. It's not a great show but I think he's a pretty good comedian. However if they get anyone from the show it will probably be Matthew Perry again.

Edited by raezen
  • Love 1

So many good suggestions! To try and contribute some that haven't been mentioned yet...

Ilana Glazer and Abbi Jacobson, aka the Broad City ladies. It's been forever since they've done dual hosts, and I wouldn't want just one of them, since they work so well as a team. Also, Abbi is from around where I grew up, always supporting that Delaware County, PA, representation on SNL (hi, Tina and Cheri!).

How to Get Away with Murder is coming back in the fall...who in their right mind would say no to Viola Davis hosting? I also think the actor who plays Connor, Jack Falahee, would be pretty good at it.

Christina Hendricks. Retroactive for Mad Men and Dark Places (which comes out in the US in August; after having read the book she is going to absolutely kill it as Patty Day). She is everything.

I'm actually kind of surprised NBC didn't force SNL to get someone from the main Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt cast to host this past season, seeing as how obviously hard they are bumming by letting that show slip through their fingers. Seriously, any of the four principles would be awesome, but I've been crushing hard on Ellie Kemper since seeing her as Kimmy, and I think she'd be awesome. Also, if there's any justice in the world, she'll at least get an Emmy nomination for the role and I don't think her winning is anywhere out of the realm of possibility, so it could be retroactive for that.

Laverne Cox? Please?

It'll be the final season of Downton Abbey this year/next year, and I'd like for someone from that show to finally host. Odds are if it does happen, it'll be Michelle Dockery, but my fingers would be crossed for Joanne Froggatt or Rob James-Collier.

JLo's got a show coming to NBC in the midseason that I have a feeling is going to be promo-ed to death, so I'm kind of calling her as the first host when the show comes back from winter hiatus in January. But if Show wants to make me really happy, they'll pick Drea de Matteo as the Shades of Blue rep instead. That woman is funny and she'll probably drop an f-bomb, which is always a good time.

• Love 1

I would really love to see Kat Dennings host Saturday Night Live next season, and I personally believe that she is worthy of a first-time guest host appearance.

True, she has had very limited opportunities to showcase and exploit her talents for other opportunities like a lead or supporting role in a major motion picture movie, because she%u2019s been constantly overlooked by other high-profile celebrities, due to her so-called lack of comedic value, but It%u2019s not hard to imagine Kat Dennings going from being the star of Two Broke Girls to having a %u201Cbreak%u201D-through performance as a guest host on Saturday Night Live that could potentially reinvigorate her acting career.

Her show Two Broke Girls is coming back for a 5th season sometime next season, and just once I'd really like to see what she can do as a guest host on SNL.

If Kat Dennings gets her chance to host, she could make beautiful chemistry with the entire cast of SNL, and she'd be just as awesome and hilarious on SNL as she is on Two Broke GIrls.

I wanted Amy Schumer to host last season, so I'm keeping that hope alive for this year as well.  With the MONSTER year she's been having, unless Trainwreck is a total box office flop, I guarantee she'll host next season.  

For my 1st time host wishlist?  I'm still hoping to see Chris Hardwick, Stephen Colbert, and for some former cast members, Jason Suedekis and Seth Meyers.  

And in my "it's such a remote possibility, but I'd love it" - Mark Wahlberg.  Ted 2 is coming out in the summer, he's got another movie coming up with Will Ferrell, he's worked with Tina before, and the guy is surprisingly hilarious.  

• Love 1

I would really love to see Kat Dennings host SNL. and I personally believe that she is worthy of a first-time guest host appearance.

She has not had very many opportunities to showcase and exploit her talents for other opportunities like a lead or supporting role in a major motion picture movie, because she's been constantly overlooked by a wave of high-profile celebrities, due to her so-called lack of comedic value, but It shouldn't be hard to imagine Kat Dennings going from being the star of Two Broke Girls to having a "break"-through performance on Saturday Night Live that could potentially reinvigorate her acting career.

Her show is coming back sometime later this season, and you would think that if ever there was time to get Kat Dennings as a first-time guest host on SNL, what better time to get her than later this year, or early 2016.

• Love 1

I'd be shocked if they don't get Amy Schumer by the end of 2015.

Fuck. It's not gonna happen, is it?

I think it's basically a lock, and Bill Hader will make a guest appearance.  I'm more surprised they didn't try and get her last year and be slightly ahead of the curve.

• Love 1

Melissa Rauch would be fantastic-she has lots of sketch experience and even writing experience/. The release her movie got delayed until October and it got raves at Sundance, especially for the gymnastic sex scene, that you know they could have a field day with. Would give them a great chance to rip on The Big Bang Theory, which they really haven't done much.

• Love 1

There seems to be  mass agreement on the interwebs that Amy Schumer should be the premiere.

I'm also seeing people campaign for Ronda Rousey to host.  Heh.  I can already see the sketches where she beats up all the male cast members.  Who knows.  Maybe she'll be another Dewayne Johnson.

Edited by vb68

I can't believe Sandra Bullock has never done it. That just seems odd. She has a movie coming out in the fall, so she's my vote, but mostly just because I want to finally see her on that stage.

• Love 3

I think Sandra Bullock would be awesome! I too am surprised she's never done it.

And I wouldn't just want to see her because she's a great actress and hilarious, but also because my stepmom has a friend that works in Hollywood, and she's said many times that Sandra Bullock is one of the nicest people she's ever worked with and has told me a bunch of really sweet stories about her. So there would probably be a good vibe generated backstage that could make its way onscreen.

• Love 2

Not that I necessarily want it to happen, but we haven't had a sports host in a while, and Russell Wilson seems tailor made to this kind of thing.

I'm not sure if it is me, but Russell Wilson just creeps me out.  I also don't think that he has that self depreciating ability that athletes need to be good hosts and takes himself a little too seriously. 

After Trainwreck, LeBron James would be a good choice.  I wouldn't mind seeing Tom Brady make a cameo appearance in a Deflategate sketch. 

So this may seem weird to some but I would love to see Kate Mulgrew host. She plays Red on the show "Orange is the New Black" and thanks to her memoir is more popular than ever. She also is VERY quick witted, smart, can think on her feet and has done very well in all her previous comedic roles(ie NTSF SD SUV, Best and the Brightest). Another person I would like to see host is Terry Crews from "Brooklyn Nine Nine". 

How to Get Away with Murder is coming back in the fall...who in their right mind would say no to Viola Davis hosting?

I was just thinking that with her Emmy win, this should be even more likely now.

• Love 1

LeBron was pretty good when he hosted back in 2007 - I found him surprisingly funny.  That was also when Kanye had a sense of humor about himself, and he was hilarious in the sketch he was in.

I really did like that episode.

And I wouldn't just want to see her because she's a great actress and hilarious, but also because my stepmom has a friend that works in Hollywood, and she's said many times that Sandra Bullock is one of the nicest people she's ever worked with and has told me a bunch of really sweet stories about her. So there would probably be a good vibe generated backstage that could make its way onscreen.

Not surprised.  This sealed my opinion of her - (Didn't even know until now that she's done this multiple times after 2004:)

Bullock has been a public supporter of the American Red Cross, having donated $1 million to the organization at least four times. Her first public donation of that amount was to the Red Cross's Liberty Disaster Relief Fund. Three years later, she sent money in response to the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunamis.[119] In 2010, she donated $1 million to relief efforts in Haiti following the Haiti earthquake, and again donated the same amount following the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami.[120] - Wikipedia
Edited by Ms Blue Jay