Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Nelson v. Murdock

This show!

So much is packed into this episode, but it didn't feel too rushed or overly slow, at least for this show. Thank the higher powers that these episodes are most of an hour. There is no good time for an ad break and the pacing and choosing of scene shifts are just right.

I am really beginning to side-eye Ben's editor/boss. I am really worried about Doris now.  Ben covered the Incredible Hulk, if the Harlem Terror headline is his!

Karen, why are you doing this to Ben? Why did both of you leave that box in the open in an office with crappy security?!?

Oh, Leeland, keep being above it all, you and you're dry humor. I think you and Wilson will be having a talk soon.

Oh, Foggy. He's going to have to decide how and what he can work, as well as who. I did like that Foggy had valid points and Matt was truthful.

With things going like they are, I am so excited for the last stretch of shows!

• Love 2

That was definitely an Electra reference.  I expect we'll be seeing her next season.

God this episode was painful to watch...in the best possible way.  Eldon was breaking hearts because god damn if he didn't have good points!  And so did Matt!  A show where more than one viewpoint is portrayed as valid instead of just setting up straw men...and its based on a comic book no less.  If I ever meet the writers I'm kissing them full on the lips.

Damn if I didn't find it touching that Wilson put his mom up in such a nice place...and I was terrified for Vanessa. 

• Love 2

Truthful my ass. 

Episode 9: Burns Nabu alive.

Episode 10: "I don't kill people"... 

Amnesiac, much? Seriously, are we just supposed to overlook that he did that? 

Don't worry. He's gotten called out on his hypocrisy already and I'm sure it will continue to be addressed in further seasons. It's part of the character and not a writing oversight.

Foggy and Murdock. I always liked their friendship but this was the first episode where I felt their friendship and how deep it ran.   Loved the flashbacks to their early years in college and loved the confrontation scenes.  

I think my favorite part was when Foggy to Murodock that it wasn't just about justice that maybe he was just looking for a excuse to hit someone; that he couldn't stop himself and Murdocks response was that he doesn't want to stop.  

Karen is a crafty one isn't she.  Just when Ben thinks he's out......

Wow did not see Vanessa's death coming although maybe I should have with all the foreshadowing....."You are not the man you used to be",  "It is that woman"   Still I liked Vanessa.

• Love 1

I think here is where I'm starting to like Karen less, than before. Up until now, we know or have been told, how dangerous Fisk is; that he was behind (probably) her being set up for murder, not to mention the attempts on her life. So what does she do? The actions or lying to Ben about a home for his wife, without taking any precautions (that I could see anyway), to make sure they wouldn't be caught out.

I get more and more scared for Ben with each episode, with all that emotional blackmail Karen heaps on him. As if outing Fisk is more important, or should be more important than his wife.

Though I smiled at the small world--the actress playing Fisk's mother appeared in Law & Order: Criminal Intent in the episode with Stephen Colbert; she was the first murder victim.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Also, in Ben's introduction, the mobster said that Ben was the only reporter who didn't drag his kids' names through the muck with their dad. To have Ben not remember this caution is frustrating to watch.

• Love 2
Though I smiled at the small world--the actress playing Fisk's mother appeared in Law & Order: Criminal Intent in the episode with Stephen Colbert; she was the first murder victim.

I knew I had seen her before! Thanks for jogging my memory, GHSR! Although how I forgot that, I don't know! (Yes, I found time to binge more, after all!)

• Like 1

Maybe this question is better suited for the comic thread, I don't know, if so, Mod, please feel free to move it.

I've got a question here that I'm hoping someone can clarify/answer for me. During one of Foggy and Matt's conversations, Foggy asked if Matt was really blind or just faking, and Matt said, "more or less." So, is he blind? All these years I thought he was and that when he was DareDevil, that there was some gadget in the eye thingamajig that helped him to "see."

And also, here, we've seen him (spoilering just in case because I can't remember if we've seen this yet or not due to my binge-watching

run up and race across the roof with no problems and I assumed it was his glasses helping him to "see."

But everything else, the way he blinks, moves, tells me that he is blind.

I knew I had seen her before! Thanks for jogging my memory, GHSR! Although how I forgot that, I don't know! (Yes, I found time to binge more, after all!)

You're welcome!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

I believe he is blind by the usual definition, but his other senses are heightened to the point that he uses them to "see" and can still move around (probably better than) the average person with sight. The glasses are just regular ones I think.

I've got a question here that I'm hoping someone can clarify/answer for me. During one of Foggy and Matt's conversations, Foggy asked if Matt was really blind or just faking, and Matt said, "more or less." So, is he blind? All these years I thought he was and that when he was DareDevil, that there was some gadget in the eye thingamajig that helped him to "see."

And also, here, we've seen him (spoilering just in case because I can't remember if we've seen this yet or not due to my binge-watching

run up and race across the roof with no problems and I assumed it was his glasses helping him to "see."

But everything else, the way he blinks, moves, tells me that he is blind.

He is blind, in the sense that he can't process visual information with his eyes. But the information his brain receives from all of his other enhanced senses (not just sound, smell, taste, and touch, but the other minor senses nobody thinks about, such as sensing temperature change, body position, vibration, equilibrium, and the like) is processed subliminally, and combined into what the comics refer to as his "radar sense", which gives him a vivid mental picture of his surroundings, and every object near him. It's not eyesight in the traditional sense (he can't see colours or fabric patterns, for instance, and a photo or painting may as well be a blank canvas to him), but he can essentially "see" the world around him.
  • Love 3

He is blind, in the sense that he can't process visual information with his eyes. But the information his brain receives from all of his other enhanced senses (not just sound, smell, taste, and touch, but the other minor senses nobody thinks about, such as sensing temperature change, body position, vibration, equilibrium, and the like) is processed subliminally, and combined into what the comics refer to as his "radar sense", which gives him a vivid mental picture of his surroundings, and every object near him. It's not eyesight in the traditional sense (he can't see colours or fabric patterns, for instance, and a photo or painting may as well be a blank canvas to him), but he can essentially "see" the world around him.

That's what I figured or was my knowledge. But like I said to the others in the Matt thread, his line to Foggy of  being "more or less" blind, threw me off, and I had me thinking if the show runners had changed something so intrinsic and a MAJOR attribute of the character. Naturally I Googled after asking you guys!  Good to know I was right in my thinking. And what I was seeing (pardon the pun) on my screen.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

Hey, I got to see a little bit of Matt and Foggy in their college years!  So happy!  Didn't get the Elektra reference when I was watching it, but that is pretty cool.  Also glad that they touch on them briefly in the law firm and the whole napkin thing.  Certainly needed to see them during happier times.

Meanwhile, back in the present, things sure were brutal.  The back and forth between Foggy and Matt was intense, and I kept flipping around with who I was agreeing with.  In the end though, I really do feel for Foggy.  The idea that Matt has been hiding this for as long as he has, must be brutal for Foggy to hear, and I don't blame him for feeling betrayed.  And, it now looks like he's breaking the firm up.  I have no idea what this means: not just for them, but Karen.  What are they going to tell her?  And, who will she stick with?  Or will she just quit on her own, and fully focus on Fisk with Ben?

Aww, shit!  They might have just killed Vanessa!  I wonder what that is all about.  My obvious suspect would be Gao, but would she go that far?  And is Leland involved somehow?  He seemed legitimately surprised when it happened, but I have to think there is something to Fisk asking him to talk to Gao.  Really can't wait to see what this is all about.  Don't see Fisk taking this well, to say the least.

Also, loved the brief little tiff between Leland and Wesley.  That could be fun, although I would put all my money on Wesley coming out ahead.  He strikes me as someone not to underestimate.

Karen finds Fisk's mom now, and has dragged Ben into this.  I don't know, guys... this is really getting dangerous.  And, if Karen can't even lock the office door correctly, I'm not sure she should be doing this with only Ben has back-up.

Standout performances from Charlie Cox and Eldon Henson in this one.  Not even on a comic-book based show scale: it was right up there, and even better, then some regular dramas.

• Love 3

I really, really loved the premise for this episode, mostly because it handled the inevitable reveal of the hero to someone close to him with a lot more depth and reality than other shows of this type (reality, of course, being understood within the context of an ass-kicking blind superhero show). Usually any blowback from the reveal is minimal or over quickly - the friend is basically like, "very cool!" or "I think I always sort of knew" or maybe a brief "I can't believe you lied to me!" and then they're immediately on the team. 

Here, there were several levels, the most obvious being Foggy's reaction to the personal betrayal at having been lied to for so many years, not just about the Daredevil stuff, but also about how Matt's abilities made Foggy vulnerable their whole relationship in ways he didn't sign up for (the comments about invasiveness and privacy and whether Matt always knew when Foggy was lying, for example). But Foggy also had really valid points to make about the moralilty of Matt's crusade, the hypocrisy in a lot of what Matt says and does, and the scary violence that Matt has in him, such that it's unclear even to him what his underlying motives might be. Several of those have been ongoing questions in the series (Claire made similar points, as has Ben) and I think serve to make the series a little more thoughtful than your standard comics-based fare. And just a much more realistic reaction from Foggy than we typically get: confusion and betrayal and hurt - things that they can talk about for a long time, but can't be resolved easily and will permanently affect their relationship. (At least, I hope so...haven't seen the rest of the season yet).

On an equally introspective note, I wish they hadn't waxed Charlie Cox all to hell. Based on other stuff he's been in, it appears he's got quite a chest rug, so (1) ouch, a lot and (2) hotter the other way (and different from other shows! and realistic!).

• Love 7

On an equally introspective note, I wish they hadn't waxed Charlie Cox all to hell. Based on other stuff he's been in, it appears he's got quite a chest rug, so (1) ouch, a lot and (2) hotter the other way (and different from other shows! and realistic!).

This, so much.

• Love 2

Noooo!  Not Vanessa!  She might be enabling Wilson but I like her a lot and want her to stick around.

Great episode.  Matt and Foggy's emotional showdown did not disappoint.  Loved getting to see the college years and hopefully it won't be for the last time.  I noticed that "Young" Matt looked a LOT like Steve Rogers.  Like Noah Wyle too.

I didn't know where the hell the Karen storyline was going.  Good reveal with Fisk's wife but an INSANE risk on Karen's part that I can't imagine not biting her on the ass.  Nice to get more with Ben and his wife too.

Most definitely an Electra reference and Roxxon was namedropped big-time in that flashback scene.

• Love 1

Did not expect them to have Foggy find out so soon. I loved that he wasn't all "That's so cool" like the other super hero shows. He was rightfully hurt and angry about all the lying and the fact that he was going above the Law. He really didn't know how messed up Matt is. Matt was putting on a facade for him. I think Matt would be considered legally blind, even though he can see some things. If he sees a world on fire, he can't see colors or patterns, just fiery images like we saw with Claire. His other sense are how he sees. 

Is Claire coming back. I know she patched him up, but are we going to see her again?

Does no one wonder how the man in black can see when he has the bandanna covering his eyes? Most people would need holes for the eyes. 

Seeing the College years was great. You can tell they are good friends. I caught the Electra reference too. I hope she shows up next season.

Does no one wonder how the man in black can see when he has the bandanna covering his eyes? Most people would need holes for the eyes.

Most people probably figure it's like a silk stalking, or a trick blindfold. Looks opaque from a distance, but you can see through it easily. (Then again, it's not like a lot of people actually see him....)
  • Love 3

I think Matt would be considered legally blind, even though he can see some things. If he sees a world on fire, he can't see colors or patterns, just fiery images like we saw with Claire. His other sense are how he sees.

I've never read the comics. However I think he is completely blind. However his other senses allow him to form a picture in his mind. Looking at the image he saw of Claire I could see that some of what he was seeing was from scent. When Claire first met him she shined a light in his eyes and realized that his eyes didn't respond to light. A legally blind persons eyes would have responded to light. Edited by Dot Com
  • Love 4

Damn, Matt and Foggy sobbing like babies. And poor Foggy: "...I only ever needed my friend."

This really got to me!  I floved their meeting and backstory; they clicked right away.  Great job casting, what a believable friendship.  Both of them were making great points but I really felt for Foggy, feeling so betrayed; of course Matt wanted to hide his secret but when it comes out, Foggy's natural reaction is "was any of it true, is he really my friend, etc".   This is probably my second favorite episode after "Cut Man".

• Love 1

I loved this episode.  I was already fully on board with the Matt/Foggy friendship, the actors have great chemistry with each other.  The flashbacks were a treat though and so much fun.

Someone upthread already mentioned this but on top of the betrayal and the years of being lied to what really got to me was unequal dynamic between them that Foggy didn't know existed.  Matt always had the upper hand in their relationship through his ability to detect people's minute physiological changes.  Foggy has to wonder what outcomes Matt has manipulated.  It's not just hiding the fact that he's a masked vigilante, it's a whole spectrum of emotional betrayal.

Edited by solea
  • Love 4

I might be a little too amused by Matt ordering stuff for his Black Mask costume off the internet. He must have a subscription to black spandex bodysuits since his costume seems to get shred to ribbons regularly. And what if Amazon mistakenly sent him lime green spandex instead of black? Oh, that would be hilarious.

Sure, I like how real it is that Foggy feels so betrayed and is not on board with the vigilante justice thing. It's so different that there are real consequences and everything is not okay by the end of the episode. But it makes me sad that their friendship broke up. I hope they make up eventually, I wouldn't want everybody to be all broody for the rest of the season. So far this show is pretty good at having some levity to balance out the darkness, and I want that to continue.

• Love 4

I also chuckled about Matt purchasing his suit online. I immediately thought of Amazon.com and the subscribe and save program. He must have a monthly delivery of black under armor shirts and pants and do-rags.

Edited by pantrygirl

Damn, people have been busy closely comparing items sold online with what we see on screen. Well done!

All this makes me wonder if it's a feasible thing for the bad guys on the show to do the same thing and track down the masked man by looking to see if anyone in and around Hell's Kitchen has been ordering an ungodly amount of compression shirts. Surely they can bribe someone at amazon to look at the order records? In which case M. Murdock would be wise not to order everything from the same place or leave reviews with his real name. Hee!

Haha, yes, I did wonder about that, but wouldn't that put somebody else at risk? Well, maybe he could use one of those package receiving companies with the automatic lockers under an alias. They have those in New York, right?

I only know about that kind of thing because I'm a Canadian near the US/Canadian border. I'm also not a vigilante, NSA, if you're listening. :D

• Love 2

Well, if it was me, I'd order it to a post-box and being pay-when-delivered. Or create different profiles with different addresses all over the city or even the country. Or order in bulk a lot of stuff, like owning a store and simply supplying. I may also use small companies or even shop second-hand...

Hmmm, fyi... you will love Worm... I do recommend it. :) (it is a super-hero story one of the best things I have read in the last 5 years... ). :)

Another flashback episode, but I liked this one more. Seeing Matt and Foggy as carefree students was great, and having their friendship highlighted more was way past time. I bought that they had a deep bond, because the actors were bringing it, but prior to this episode, their narratives felt too detached from one another. But the two of them crying over the damage done to their friendship felt so real, that none of that mattered.

Foggy's sense of betrayal and confusion and hurt were tough to watch. And the thought that, all these years, Matt had been pretending to be blind? Oof. And in a way, he kind of is when you think about it. Sure, he can't see, but he can still see. That's a hard one to explain. So I was amused that they skipped it and had Foggy just reference it with 'yeah, world on fire, whatever'. Heh.

Matt's explanation to Foggy was painful to listen to. How he tried to be normal and live his life the way people are supposed to, but he just couldn't ignore the things he knew were happening. Imagine being that guy, and hearing all that filth and sickness and violence, out there in the world, and just not being able to stand it any longer.

And Karen? You devious minx. That was dirty pool, using Ben's wife's illness as a way of dragging him out to Mama Fisk's care home. She's got a cold heart in there, when she needs it. I don't see this working out well for either of them, though. Fisk is a fucking lunatic, when he feels threatened.

Oh, and it's so totally obvious that Gao put out the hit on Vanessa. There'll be some revelation about how she knows Vanessa loves that brand of champagne or something, and Gao was willing to sacrifice anyone else who drank it to get Fisk back on point. She's a cold-hearted old bitch, so I reckon she'll manage to pin the blame on someone else.

• Love 4

I think this was my favorite episode of the season so far, and that's really saying something!

My favorite parts were everything to do with Foggy and Matt. Their happy college flashbacks, verses their painful conversation in the present was heart breaking. I love how this is playing out, with Foggy being hurt and betrayed, a completely logical reaction, but they need to get back together ASAP. I love their friendship. 

• Love 2
Episode 9: Burns Nabu alive.

Episode 10: "I don't kill people"...

Amnesiac, much? Seriously, are we just supposed to overlook that he did that?

It was so dark on my screen I couldn't see exactly what was happening, but I got the impression that Nabu catching on fire was the accidental result of separate actions. Did it show DD planning and executing that on purpose?

I find Foggy annoying as hell. First, I wouldn't even remember any particular incidents where Matt would have invaded my privacy in the past. I mean, how much could it have mattered? And if Foggy lied, and Matt knew he lied, is the fault with Matt or the "truth cursader' who lied? I saw Foggy's reaction more as an emotional one tied to his own past actions, not to Matt for not telling him. And since Foggy is such a lightweight, I assume the fact he knows Matt's identity now doesn't bode well for Foggy.

• Love 4

I would consider flambe Nobu an accident. Matt seemed really surprised when it happened. But then so much was happening, I wasn't sure if he was surprised at setting Nobu on fire, or surprised at firey Nobu still coming at him, or surprised Fisk suddenly showed up right after that. Probably all of the above.

I felt worse for Matt than Foggy, but I can understand Foggy being angry. Matt has been lying to him for so long and he also finds out he can't really lie to Matt ever. It's not so much about Foggy wanting to be able to lie, it's that this makes their relationship really unequal.

The part in the flashback where Foggy was a little too enthusiastic about how good looking Matt is and there was an "um, are you coming onto me?" awkward pause cracked me up. So Foggy is growing on me. Yes, he can be annoying, but I really like the friendship between him and Matt.

• Love 2

It was so dark on my screen I couldn't see exactly what was happening, but I got the impression that Nabu catching on fire was the accidental result of separate actions. Did it show DD planning and executing that on purpose?

I find Foggy annoying as hell. First, I wouldn't even remember any particular incidents where Matt would have invaded my privacy in the past. I mean, how much could it have mattered? And if Foggy lied, and Matt knew he lied, is the fault with Matt or the "truth cursader' who lied? I saw Foggy's reaction more as an emotional one tied to his own past actions, not to Matt for not telling him. And since Foggy is such a lightweight, I assume the fact he knows Matt's identity now doesn't bode well for Foggy.

Nabu's was an incidental death, not intentional.   Matt hasn't intentionally killed anyone so far.   What was it Vladimir said about when you get in a cage with animals?   Nabu was in the cage by his own choice.   He died as a result of his own actions, not any deliberate  act of Matt's.    I'm not saying you can't mount an argument that Matt is an instrument of some deaths -- Officer Sullivan also comes to mind because Matt tied him up and left him vulnerable to attack, but again not intentionally -- but I think the most you could get him on at this point is maybe reckless endangerment or perhaps negligent homicide. 

Foggy comes across as saccharine.  He's always "on" and people like that make me wonder what they're hiding.   I also find it preposterous that an overweight, sloppy-looking guy like Foggy would win the love of a knockout like Karen.   It plays like a fanboy wet dream.  

Speaking of Karen -- ice cold, baby.    To use the illness of the reporter's wife as a pretext to get him to go to a nursing home is heartless.   Maybe there's a bit of the vampire in her yet.

Vincent D'Onofrio continues to impress. 

I still love Rosario Dawson.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 2

Foggy comes across as saccharine.  He's always "on" and people like that make me wonder what they're hiding.   I also find it preposterous that an overweight, sloppy-looking guy like Foggy would win the love of a knockout like Karen -- and then apparently cheat on her with yet another hot blonde.   It plays like a fanboy wet dream.   I can't even put together how feeling betrayed by Matt leads Foggy to the bed of the blonde lawyer when he's supposedly in love with Karen.

Foggy hasn't won anything from Karen, though. They were on some sort of pseudo-date at Mrs. Cardenas', and it became clear that Karen was thinking about Matt anyway (with her whole, 'I want to know what I look like to a guy who can't see' thing). Nothing else happened, unless I blacked out and missed a storyline.

The fact that he was with Marcie is a bit baffling, because she doesn't seem like the sort of woman to go for a character like Foggy. Not even so much the physical side (and I'd use 'doughy' rather than 'overweight', I think), but more that she seems like she'd have no patience for his personality. But like they said, she's changed a lot.

Foggy is a bit tiresome, with his constant cracking of jokes and smart arse remarks. There could be an argument that he over-compensates because Matt is so quiet and steady, but I think it's more that Foggy's natural personality is just loud. 

• Love 1

I can stipulate to doughy.

I'm pretty sure Foggy and Karen have a thing, unless I blacked out too and dreamed it (which is entirely possible) but I can't cite a specific episode because I binge-watched the last four.  

Mrs. Cardenas told Karen that Foggy liked her and Karen hadn't realized it, and it seemed like she didn't want him to be interested.  Foggy has an outsized personality but he isn't too obnoxious in his behavior to others, and I'm glad he hasn't been a stereotypical clown character.

The flashbacks were sweet, and cheesy as it was I liked avocados at law.  It was already emotional between Foggy and Matt, but when they started crying I about lost it.

Sorry we didn't get to see Claire.

• Love 1

No netflix spoiler warning this time? Not that I need it at this point, but some people still might.

I don't think Matt gets as much action with the ladies as people think he does. He just doesn't bother to correct them when they assume because it works for his cover anyway.

Ah, so true that while Foggy isn't my favorite character, I can't help but see that he makes good points in this episode. I was just chatting with some people the other day about Matt's hypocricy when it comes to telling Karen and Foggy to use the law while he goes outside of the law himself, and people were like "but he's just saying that because that's part of his cover". True, but just because it's a cover doesn't make it less hypocritical. Don't get me wrong, I'm still team Matt all the way, but when he was telling them not to do this and not to do that, I was like "hypocrite!"

As for what Matt's reason is for lying to Foggy - I think the way he grew up abandoned and alone gave him a complex about trusting people so completely with every bit of himself. He wouldn't tell Foggy this is the reason, because he doesn't even realize it himself.

He doesn't have that many friends, so I think he does need Foggy. If he takes Stick's advice and cut all ties to people, he wouldn't be the same person. Having ties to people give him heart and keep him grounded. It might not seem like much, but it's pretty important, imo.

• Love 2

How old are Matt and Foggy supposed to be? I'm guessing younger than the actors portraying them. I was surprised they were in college in 2010 and just recently finished interning. 

I chalk up Nobu's death to a failure to stop, drop and roll in a timely fashion. He went on trying to kick ass instead of putting his fiery self out.

• Love 2