Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Nelson v. Murdock

The first time I watched this episode, I barely got through because Foggy was so damn annoying.  So I gave it a month, to put some distance between my sincere dislike of the character and the episode, hoping I could truly understand and sympathize with his perspective.  Alas, it didn't work.  But upon second viewing, I understand a major reason why I found him so irritating.  I get being pissed that Matt didn't tell him about his vigilantism, but he spent the bulk of the episode demanding answers and then not liking what Matt had to say.  Drove me crazy.  If you're gonna ask questions and and demand answers, then shut the hell up and listen. And don't get me started with his incredulity about Matt's abilities, and complaining about being "invasive," when in the flashbacks during their first meeting, he's more than willing to exploit Matt being a wounded, handsome duck to get access to women.  I threw my hands up at "Was anything ever real with us?" Dude, really? I cannot with this fool. 

I'd like to tune into season 2, but I fear Foggy (and to a smaller degree, Karen) as his friends will be like nails on a chalkboard for me.   

• Love 2
(edited)

On an equally introspective note, I wish they hadn't waxed Charlie Cox all to hell. Based on other stuff he's been in, it appears he's got quite a chest rug, so (1) ouch, a lot and (2) hotter the other way (and different from other shows! and realistic!).

On a purely practical level, I can imagine how it would be easier on CC and the FX makeup crew if he doesn't have a lot of body hair, as he has to undergo a lot of FX makeup for the many, many wounds he sports all over his body. Smooth skin makes it easier for them to apply, easier on him when they take it off. I don't know if there are other reasons as well, but I suspect this had something to do with their decision to go this direction.

Edited by Reishe

Maybe it's because I just saw it, but the thing where Matt talked about that child molester drinking his meals through a draw reminded me of "The Shawshank Redemption."

If you're gonna ask questions and and demand answers, then shut the hell up and listen. And don't get me started with his incredulity about Matt's abilities

I'm just finally watching this series via Netflix, so it's all new to me (so no spoilers, please, LOL), but my impression is that deep down Foggy put Matt up on a bit of a pedestal. He saw Matt as this idealistic guy who wanted to do all these "right" things, help people, do good... and those things are true, but it's colored with shades of grey that Foggy wasn't aware of, and was definitely unprepared for. Matt talked him into leaving the shitty evil law firm, Matt reminded him of the ideals they wanted to fight for. It's the basis for their entire private practice. To then see that Matt's been hiding all these things, and doing things that draw outside those lines, and in some ways, go against the very things they're supposed to be fighting for... well, that's a big damn deal. Everything he thought he trusted about Matt feels ripped to shreds. So he heard Matt's answers, but some of those answers go against everything they've been vowing to accomplish. The poor guy is completely thrown by that.

I loved this episode, but it was so hard to watch because I really wanted Foggy to finally come to an understanding about why Matt does the things that he does. (I thought his questions about how on earth Matt went from wounded fatherless kid to adult vigilante were particularly interesting and on point, because who wouldn't think, WTF?? How did this happen? How did you become this?)

Anyway, I can't wait to watch more episodes, mainly in hopes that they find their way back to being friends. It's heartbreaking to see them torn apart like this.

Side note: I also liked Foggy's questions about how Matt has kind of dragged them (Foggy and Karen) into it and put them in danger. It's true. Matt's so driven by his singular purpose that in some ways he is putting them in danger (like he did with Claire).

Then again, Karen's doing the same thing, with her brazen recklessness. On the one hand, I like how strong she is, and how unwilling she is to put up with evil lying murderous corporate bullshit. But at the same time, I get so angry with her because she's incredibly reckless about it, and I fear she's going to get Ben killed, or someone else (like Foggy) hurt. All because she thinks she's got it all covered, but in truth there's no way to anticipate everything, because she's coming from a different POV than the nasty evil people like Fisk. She wouldn't be a ruthless murderer, but Fisk and his people would. And that she doesn't think about that (or that she blows it off as something she can handle, even after she was already almost killed twice) makes me think that her actions are terrifyingly dangerous. And that pisses me off, because I don't want to see Ben get killed because Karen can't stop pushing him to help her even when he has a legitimate reason to say "No more. My wife needs me, so I'm out."