Type keyword(s) to search

Grey's Anatomy in the Media: Incident Reporting

• Start Topic

It was a noticeable tiny bump in that video she's referring to...  It was the only video/photograph where I felt the rumours could be true. I certainly hadn't been watching her waistline closely or anything creepy. Of course I can't speak for everyone. 

Fans speculating among themselves is one thing, but people were tweeting her and sending her messages about it.  Even if she was, it was early days and you never know.  If she wasn't, that's even worse LOL!

• Love 1

I wasn't referring to you commenting. I mentioned it because CL said she noticed the comments and was talking about in general. I just wanted to clarify.

I realise that and I didn't mean my post to sound defensive. I just wanted to clarify because I had speculated in here a few weeks ago and that it was down to that video she mentions that I thought she might be.

• Love 1

I wonder if a pregnancy will be written in for Jo, or if they'll have her stand behind counters, carry large purses, and do mostly close-ups of her face. I know Caterina Scorsone is also pregnant and I think the last episode foreshadowed that Amelia would be getting pregnant as well, so they probably won't have two pregnancy storylines in one season.

The show has had quite a few camouflaged pregnancies, no? Ellen Pompeo, Chyler Leigh, Jessica Capshaw, Sarah Drew's first pregnancy - am I forgetting anyone else?

Edited by chocolatine
5 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Hen The show has had quite a few camouflaged pregnancies, no? Ellen Pompeo, Chyler Leigh, Jessica Capshaw, Sarah Drew's first pregnancy - am I forgetting anyone else?

Sarah, Chyler and Jessica were pregnant multiple times on the show and other then Jessica's first where Arizona moves away I don't think it's ever affected storyline other then giving the actresses a lighter schedule. It's one of the things Greys does incredibly well and probably the one obvious benefit of having a cast so big.

• Love 4

They've gotten quite laissez-faire about the actual camouflaging though- IIRC, Ellen's pregnancy was well-hidden, but Jessica's last two were super obvious onscreen. 

And color me surprised that it seems they've rearranged filming on behalf of Camilla/Jo- that's more effort than they ever put into her storyline! Of course, there could be other reasons for filming out of order, too. Do we know if they filmed all of 13.13 already or just parts?

Edited by flickers
  • Love 1

Of course, there could be other reasons for filming out of order, too

I agree especially if they are filming on location somewhere. Permits for the location, the time of year, etc. could all be reasons why they are choosing to film scenes now. I may have nothing at all to do with Camilla. 

Grey's Anatomy's Caterina Scorsone on What That Pregnancy Test Means for Amelia and Owen

Edited by windsprints
6 hours ago, flickers said:

They've gotten quite laissez-faire about the actual camouflaging though- IIRC, Ellen's pregnancy was well-hidden, but Jessica's last two were super obvious onscreen. 

And color me surprised that it seems they've rearranged filming on behalf of Camilla/Jo- that's more effort than they ever put into her storyline! Of course, there could be other reasons for filming out of order, too. Do we know if they filmed all of 13.13 already or just parts?

you are right, they have gotten laissez-faire about hiding it.  I remember not even knowing Chyler was pregnant at the time so they definitely used to be better.  With Jessica last season they were pretty much like whatever.  I thought they weren't doing a great job hiding Caterina's pregnancy this year but I've talked to more casual fans who had no idea so maybe it's only obvious if you know.  

I agree that the early filming could be for a variety of reasons.  However, I am not surprised that they would arrange filming around Camilla's needs.  While the show shits on Jo constantly, Camilla seems to be loved by the cast and crew.  I know a lot of people tend to think Shonda's character treatment equals their personal treatment but its not always the case.  As someone said in another thread, while Shonda often gets a bad rap, she is super accommodating for working (and expecting) mothers and Shondaland has always been said to be a great place to work as a woman and also as a mother.  

8 hours ago, flickers said:

But is that actually a big deal?  Admittedly, Grey's Anatomy has a secret weapon in camouflaging pregnancies--SCRUBS!  And they've been pretty good with the strategic use of handbags, potted plants, desks, and such--not to mention Lexie's stress eating episodes.  Still, even if the actress looks a bit pregnant but the character is not is something that I find completely forgivable.  There have been shows where no effort was made to hide the pregnancy, even though the character was not pregnant (I'm thinking especially of the last season of Friends) and it really was no big deal.

Frankly, I find watching a pregnant (but camouflaged as much as possible) actress play a non pregnant character than to have a pregnancy written in just because an actress is pregnant because, every time I've seen that happen, it has been detrimental to the story lines and the show as a whole.

• Love 4

where is everyone?  lol

Grey's got a 2.2 this week, up from the last two weeks which is pretty impressive considering The Big Bang Theory just moved back to Thursdays last night.  It expectedly didn't beat BBT which got a 3.4, but still the 2.2 is pretty good.  There is no true last year comparison to last year because Grey's was off for the Charlie Brown Halloween episode last year, but it is down just 4% (and 0.1) from its own episode 6 last year (a week later).  

• Love 2

That 2.2 is fantastic, like you said @Greysaddict, especially considering that The Big Bang Theory returned last night. Not only did Grey's hold steady, it actually increased from last week. Behind that 2.2 for Grey's, ABCs next highest-rated drama this week was Designated Survivor at a 1.2. Agents of SHIELD did 0.8 this week, as did Conviction and Notorious. How To Get Away with Murder did a 1.2 and Once Upon A Time is down to a 1.0. Grey's is an absolute juggernaut in comparison. It remains ABCs highest-rated series behind only Modern Family (which pulled a 2.3 this week). 

• Love 1

Grey's remains wildly steady with a 2.1 demo this week, making it top 5 on all of broadcast for scripted programs this week. The World Series and CMA Awards knocked a few shows out (no Empire or Modern Family this week), but regardless Grey's is massively impressive. The top 5 is: 

The Big Bang Theory, CBS - 3.0

This Is Us, NBC - 2.3

Grey's Anatomy, ABC - 2.1

The Great Indoors, CBS - 1.7

Chicago Fire (NBC) / American Housewife (ABC) - 1.5 

Other ABC shows this week - The Middle (1.4), Agents of SHIELD (0.8), Once Upon a Time (0.9), How To Get Away with Murder (1.1).

I'll add:

Secrets and Lies     0.6/2.70   million viewers
Quantico        0.6/2.43   million viewers

And Quantico gets treated like its a big hit. Its in early S2 and its numbers dreadful. 13 year old Grey's gets over 3x the demo.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, windsprints said:

I'll add:

Secrets and Lies     0.6/2.70   million viewers
Quantico        0.6/2.43   million viewers

And Quantico gets treated like its a big hit. Its in early S2 and its numbers dreadful. 13 year old Grey's gets over 3x the demo.

Yea, Quantico is a goner this year (ditto for S&L). With those ratings I'd be surprised if they don't get pulled early. The ABC schedule is an absolute mess. At this rate, Grey's will never die. Even This Is Us, the breakout hit of the season, is only barely higher than Grey's. 

Secrets and Lies won't get pulled early because they already shot the season. It was supposed to debut last Spring but got pushed to this Fall. At the least they'd air the entire season before ending. Each season is stand-alone, anyway, with it's own conclusion. 

Grey's has it's built in audience that's clearly not going anywhere and not going to really grow. Indeed impressive for a 13 year old show. People like familiarity (which might explain why the writers continue to recycle storylines instead of telling fresh interesting one's they set up but do nothing with).  

Edited by funnygirl

Grey's held the 2.1 - it's now one of just 5 shows out of 75 on network TV (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, CW) to be averaging 2.0 or above this season. The other series are Empire (S3), Big Bang Theory (S10), Modern Family (S8), and This Is Us (S1). 

ABC’s “Grey’s Anatomy” took a hit, dipping two tenths of a point to 1.9. If that number holds, it would tie a series low and be only the second time the show has ever been below a 2.0. 

We'll see if it holds in the finals; maybe they will adjust up. Hopefully they'll go back up next week when the ongoing storylines continue. 

Source: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tv-ratings-thursday-nov-10-2016/

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 1

just echoing that these ratings are fantastic.  I was definitely not expecting that.  I want to credit the return of TGIT and the heavy marketing, but Scandal itself was just ok.  Big Bang Theory was a repeat so that definitely helped GA.  

Unfortunately (for me), this is just going to lead to more bottle, small character centric episodes which I personally don't really love.

Edited by Greysaddict
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Greysaddict said:

just echoing that these ratings are fantastic.  I was definitely not expecting that.  I want to credit the return of TGIT and the heavy marketing, but Scandal itself was just ok.  Big Bang Theory was a repeat so that definitely helped GA.  

Unfortunately (for me), this is just going to lead to more bottle, small character centric episodes which I personally don't really love.

I don't mind the bottle episodes, although I did mind this one because the placement of it within the season really disrupted the flow of the narrative (I also really, really, really hated the musical episode).  I do think they allow the viewers to get closer to characters than they normally would and I think they *could* be used to push the narrative--although I don't think they've done it so far. 

I think the bottle episodes particularly this season ended up being out of necessity (as well as the weird out of order filming) to accommodate all the maternity leave. Jessica was on maternity leave, then Ellen (maybe?) then Caterina, and apparently Camilla is due around the last week of filming and could pop any time before then. So, they just kinda put the characters that were around together. The Japril centric one is coming soon, too.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, CED9 said:

I think the bottle episodes particularly this season ended up being out of necessity (as well as the weird out of order filming) to accommodate all the maternity leave. Jessica was on maternity leave, then Ellen (maybe?) then Caterina, and apparently Camilla is due around the last week of filming and could pop any time before then. So, they just kinda put the characters that were around together. The Japril centric one is coming soon, too.

It sounds like there's a Mer / Riggs episode as well, though I'm not sure if it's a bottle ep or if we'll see other cast as well.

18 minutes ago, gator12 said:

Mer/Riggs? I was hoping Shonda forgot about that couple

I was too....Of course, it is completely possible that they will have a bottle episode that will NOT be romantic in nature.

Or maybe not....

5 hours ago, CED9 said:

The cast is probably happier too to have more time off but be paid the same. Are there contracts up this season?

With BBT back, GA went back down to earth a bit in the overnights, but still great numbers: 2.3 demo and 8.4 million.

Scandal 1.8 and 6.5 million

HTGAWM 1.3 and 4.6 million

• Love 1

The panelists for PaleyFest have been announced. The entire cast will be there as well as Debbie Allen. The list I saw didn't have any of the showrunners listed, so I'm not sure if Shonda will be there or not.

Grey's held the 2.1 from last week with 7.68M viewers. Opposite Grey's, The Big Bang Theory is nearing a series low hitting 2.8 in the demo. The rest of the TGIT lineup was stable (Scandal 1.6, HTGAWM 1.3). 

June Squibb and Hal Holbrook to Guest Star on ‘Grey’s Anatomy’

“Grey’s Anatomy” has tapped June Squibb and Hal Holbrook as guest stars, Variety has learned exclusively.

The duo will appear in the episode on Mar. 23, playing Elsie Clatch and Lewis Clatch, a married couple who visit Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital. No other details on their storyline have been revealed.

Additionally, the Mar. 23 episode will also welcome back guest star LaTanya Richardson Jackson, who will reprise her role as Maggie’s (Kelly McCreary) mother, Diane Pierce.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

Every. Single. One.  Especially #4.

As for #1 (Eliza Minnick)...I don't see how she's polarizing.  As far as I can tell, very few (if any) fans like her.  And I'm not basing that solely on the reaction on this board, but also when I wade into comment land on FB and IG posts....  That's not polarizing...that's (nearly) universally hated.

• Love 2

Okay, while I generally agree with the list, I think more annoying than anything Grey's has done this season is the number of click-thrus required to read that entire list.

I guess the only thing I really disagreed on the list with was the point talking about the lack of presence of Meredith's kids.  That has never been a part of this show and it will never be a part of the show.  They appear when the episode needs them to appear and occasionally outside of that just to prove they are there.  I actually get more annoyed at this point at folks decrying what has never been something this show does. It's just my own little quirk on the issue:)

Despite agreeing with almost all of these points, what can I say?, I still just enjoy this show, I guess it's my 'comfort' tv. I think I just don't demand much from this show, and I've never been a shipper, which I think helps.  Still, I am occasionally surprised when they pull off a fantastic episode here and there ("Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" last year comes to mind), get really angry at issues explored on the show here and there (Callie's dismissive attitude towards Arizona's parental rights in that court case) and generally just enjoy spending time with the folks on the show.

Of all the points, they have so completely botched the introduction of Minnick, that I'd be quite happy to see her gone.  I see no turnaround for her character at this point.  I think the back end of season 11 and last season dealing with the death of Derek shook up the show so much and gave those behind it a sense of urgency, that it was overall one of the best of the recent seasons. I feel like this season, they took part of that formula.....shake things up....without the urgency and really thinking through everything (and cramming in stories that were meant for earlier but were sidetracked when Dempsey left) and thus this season has been rather muddled, no question.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 3