Type keyword(s) to search

Grey's Anatomy in the Media: Incident Reporting

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, CED9 said:

The epitome of steady. 2.0 and 7.9 million in overnights.

If it adjusts up to a 2.1 it will be tried with episode 4 last year, which is insane. Even as it stands at a 2.0, it's tied as ABC's #1 show of the week with The Good Doctor. It's ahead of Modern Family (1.8), tied with Empire (2.0), and behind only This Is Us (2.8) as the highest-rated drama on all of broadcast in the demo. 

2 hours ago, CED9 said:

1.8 and 7.7 million in overnights. With a slightly bigger drop than usual in the half hours. Possibly people realizing it was a centric and not being into it.

SpoilerTV is showing that it went up in the second half? 

8:00 - 7.22 million (#1), A18-49: 1.7/ 7 (#1) VS 8:30 - 7.49 million (#2), A18-49: 1.8/ 7 (#2)

3 hours ago, Kate213 said:

Grey's Anatomy's season just got a little longer

ABC ordered two more episodes of Grey’s Anatomy Monday, bringing the total order to 24 episodes this season.

That's interesting in that GA already had such a long season.  Are there other scripted shows that run more than 22 episodes?

ETA: I should have finished reading the article first to see that Black-ish and American Housewife are also now at 24 episodes.

Edited by Morksmate

ABC News and talk shows will join in celebrating the historic 300th episode of “Grey’s Anatomy” with a special “Day of Grey’s” initiative on Thursday, November 9, the day the 300th episode airs.

The celebration begins the evening prior on Wednesday, November 8, when “Jimmy Kimmel Live” hosts Jesse Williams (Dr. Jackson Avery), as an in-studio guest. On November 9, “Good Morning America” will go behind the scenes on the set of “Grey’s Anatomy” while Ellen Pompeo (Dr. Meredith Grey) will be live in-studio in New York. Pompeo will also be a guest that day on nationally syndicated “Live with Kelly and Ryan.” From there, she will drop by both “The View” and “The Chew.” “Nightline” will close out the celebration with more behind-the-scenes coverage of one of television’s longest-running dramas.

Edited by BaseOps
4 hours ago, Chas411 said:

I'm curious as to how they'll play homage to cast and characters - are we expecting any appearances by former characters?

There's already been a response by Vernoff that says not to expect Izzie, Cristina, or Callie to be returning for cameo appearances.  At most, you might get a flashback.

My own personal guess is that the current characters might remember significant moments in their history and it may shape how they act in storylines going forward.  So, if we (the audience) see the characters behaving quite differently than they have in recent times, we will know the reason why.  (The memories and re-processing them in current contexts will act as an antecedent event going forward.)

2 hours ago, Earmuffs Mom said:

BaseOps, thanks for the clips!  Those of us who have been here since episode 1 have been through a lot with these characters.

I actually got a bit emotional watching some of the interviews. I've watched since the series premiered, which is insane - I was in 8th grade then, and I'm 26 now. I can connect every season / set of characters to different times in my life, relationships, friendships, etc. It's really nice to put aside the nitpicking and criticism of the series and appreciate what it's done for the viewers, and for television at large. It's also great to feel like the show is going into episode 300 really strong, with a season that has been superb so far. 

• Love 5

It's GA in the media, but it's also a bit of a spoiler.  So, I hid it...but I imagine some people will want to see at least the title before watching the episode to be aware of this bonus?  So, if you click the spoiler, you'll basically just see what *thing* is coming up in the 300th so you can look for it.  But don't click the link if you don't want to read any possible spoilerage or speculation about the episode.  (Sheesh, I hope that makes sense.)

Edited by GalvDuck

Saw this on twitter a couple of weeks ago from the editor of TVbytheNumbers:  "My favorite stat, which I’ve referenced here before: “Grey’s” has gone below a 2.0 in 18-49 just 9 times in 297 episodes. 3% of its run."

Amazing stat.

I have a feeling that Heigl is eventually going to return. Also I don't think they hate her but she treated the show with such open disrespect that I don't blame the show for not giving any Fucks that she'd like to return  now that her career didn't go how she planned out. 

• Love 3

Grey's was up week-to-week to a 1.9 and a season-high 8.13M viewers. It was ABC's highest-rated series of the week in the demo and the 2nd highest-rated drama on broadcast this week behind only This is Us. It was ahead of Empire, but The Good Doctor was off this week. Scandal did a 1.1 and HTGAWM an 0.9. 

That's true.  

God though, I don't want her back. She didn't appreciate the gig when she had it so I've no interest in her coming back and everyone going on as though Izzie was this amazing character - she wasn't imo. 

I loved her when I oroginally watched but on my rewatch to She was judgemental, a bully at times (Callie) and treated Alex like crap. I have no interest in her coming back. I'd rather they gave the screentime to the dozen other characters that came in after her and are still there now. 

• Love 5

Good for Ellen....new contact and she’s getting paid!  Note the article said contract is for this season and seasons 15/16 though those haven’t been ordered. 

ETA link

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1

I loved reading that entire  article.  I was having a discussion on another board about the need for people, women especially, to not be scared to put a real dollar figure on their skill and their vale when negotiating salary.  Good for her.

• Love 5

I was wondering if they'd even crack a 2.0... those numbers are massive. It beat last week's mid-season premiere of The Good Doctor in the demo (1.6) and this weeks episode (1.7), though The Good Doctor leads in overall viewers. Grey's has the highest demo on ABC this week (Modern Family did a 1.8) and the 2nd-highest among dramas on all of broadcast behind only This Is Us (2.5). It's crazy that at premiere week Will & Grace was ahead of Grey's, and now they're down to a 1.3. 

Honourable mention to Camilla from TVline for her performance this week. Between this and the ratings im actually delighted for the actress. It's nice to see her episode, performance and story get a great reaction after years of basically being a non entity or punching bag. 

HONORABLE MENTION | If you’ve ever wondered what they mean when they say acting is reacting, you should check out Thursday’s Grey’s Anatomy. In “1-800-799-7233,” Camilla Luddington was tasked with making us feel, with every hitch in Jo’s voice, every stunned expression that crossed her face, every instance in which she recoiled, how terrified she was of the husband who’d spent years using her as a punching bag. Not only did the actress rise to that harrowing challenge, she also managed to give us glimpses, fleeting but powerful, of the fury with which the abuse had left Jo, like a scar that wouldn’t heal. We seriously doubt that she was responsible for the hit-and-run that had befallen her ex by the hour’s end. But, thanks to Luddington, if Jo had been behind the wheel, we’d sure as hell have understood why.

http://tvline.com/2018/01/20/sonequa-martin-green-star-trek-discovery-performance-season-1/

• Love 3

Grey's year-to-year ratings patterns are incredible. Last night was their highest total viewers for episode 11 since season 8, and it's tied with the same demo as season 10. 

9x11 - 8.80M & 3.0 
10x11 - 7.02M & 2.3
11x11 - 7.81 & 2.3
12x11 - 7.23 & 2.1
13x11 - 8.49 & 2.3 
14x11 - 8.93 & 2.3

Jessica Capshaw and Sarah Drew are exiting the show after this season.

The decision was made by the producers who at the start of each season have to formally pick up the option of each regular cast member. Sources say Capshaw and Drew will be the only series regular members of Grey’s large ensemble cast to depart this year...

Sources close to the matter stress that the decision for Capshaw and Drew’s exits was based on the show’s creative direction, something Vernoff alluded to in her statement.

Well I'm going to assume Arizona is moving to New York so that Sophia is close to Callie. And I'm going to guess that April gets killed off. Because there is no way in hell she will walk away from her daughter.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Chick2Chic said:

I never cared for either Arizona or April so DEUCES... but that said, I wish the actresses many rewards with their future roles. 

oh c'mon.. Arizona was a great character at the beginning of her tenure.  i think the writers created good story lines until they decided to amp her leg. Then it was downhill from there.

• Love 5