Type keyword(s) to search

Grey's Anatomy in the Media: Incident Reporting

• Start Topic

34 minutes ago, windsprints said:

Thanks, I had forgotten about that. I remembered her leaving then returning to try to reunite with Alex & he declined.  I just searched to refresh my memory after reading your post and found this (for anyone else who didn't recall):

That was one of my favorite Justin moments, when he thanked Izzie for helping him to become a better man and to believe in himself, and that's how he knew he didn't deserve to be treated the way she treated him. Wouldn't it be nice if he got more of a chance to show off his considerable acting talent!

• Love 4

Grey's did a 1.9 last night, tying it's series-low demo from last season. The half-hours were 1.9 / 2.0 so it could adjust up in the finals. I hope it's able to stay above a 2.0 all season, but considering the trend on broadcast lately I'm surprised it took this long to fall below. 

This article is interesting and suggests viewers are watching Grey's in a multitude of ways now; as live viewing decreases ever-so-slightly, it's surged in nearly every other platform this year (VOD, DVR, ABC.com, etc.) 

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/abc-greys-anatomy-ratings-renaissance-in-season-12-1201757424/

Edited by BaseOps
(edited)

Grey's Anatomy Stars Are Seeking Raises Again

The Shondaland crown jewel is not only besting its younger siblings Scandal and How to Get Away with Murder in the ratings, it’s also the second-most-popular drama on broadcast TV among women 18–34 (behind Fox hit Empire). That has to be great news for agents representing Pompeo (Meredith), Chandra Wilson (Bailey), Sara Ramirez (Callie), Kevin McKidd (Owen), Justin Chambers (Alex) and James Pickens, Jr. (Richard), all of whom will likely use the show’s stellar performance to push for higher salaries.

Some really interesting stuff in the article, especially about the growth of the show this year. 

Edited by BaseOps

At first I rolled my eyes at "the creative renaissaince", but then again, I am enjoying the show more this year. Last season hit a really, really rough patch where basically entire episodes were unwatchable - the episode before Dr Herman's surgery with Amelia's ridiculous speeches, the one with Owen guiding a kid over the telephone on how to perform a surgery on her mother, the one after Derek's death that unexplicably seemed to consist 80% of Bailey and Ben having the same argument over and over again etc. This season, for all its shortcomings and nonsense, hasn't been as dire. 

Honestly, the whole MerDer thing got really stale. They were obviously never going to let them be calm and happy, and to watch them bicker and argue and break up and make up over 10 years was just becoming too much. But then again, I was never really a fan of the couple. 

• Love 1

So I wonder if there are still contracts up in the air, and whether the finale will reflect that?  I find the timing of this article to be interesting, and wonder if EW got ABC/Shonda's blessing to run it, just to up the suspense.

• Love 1

ick that article is such clickbait with that headline.  Nowhere in the article does it say the actors are looking for more money, only that their agents would be wise to negotiate more since the show is doing so well in the ratings which is no surprise to literally anyone that looks at ratings.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, Joana said:

At first I rolled my eyes at "the creative renaissaince", but then again, I am enjoying the show more this year. Last season hit a really, really rough patch where basically entire episodes were unwatchable - the episode before Dr Herman's surgery with Amelia's ridiculous speeches, the one with Owen guiding a kid over the telephone on how to perform a surgery on her mother, the one after Derek's death that unexplicably seemed to consist 80% of Bailey and Ben having the same argument over and over again etc. This season, for all its shortcomings and nonsense, hasn't been as dire. 

Honestly, the whole MerDer thing got really stale. They were obviously never going to let them be calm and happy, and to watch them bicker and argue and break up and make up over 10 years was just becoming too much. But then again, I was never really a fan of the couple. 

I think S10 was easily the shows worst - it certainly has their worst episodes. I always think of exactly what you brought up: all of Amelia's speeches, the Owen phone episode (my least favourite Grey's episode ever) and the nonsense that came after Derek died. As a whole I thought the entire season was very all-over-the-place and just not well written. This year certainly has issues, but overall I think it's the most consistently enjoyable that the show has been in a few years. 

23 minutes ago, Deanie87 said:

So I wonder if there are still contracts up in the air, and whether the finale will reflect that?  I find the timing of this article to be interesting, and wonder if EW got ABC/Shonda's blessing to run it, just to up the suspense.

I think Shonda must have at least an idea of who is coming and going, but I definitely believe the Callie / Arizona story was written to play off the fact that Sara's contract is up. Obviously Ellen is returning and I have no doubt she will be returning with a higher salary. 

• Love 2
(edited)
33 minutes ago, Greysaddict said:

ick that article is such clickbait with that headline.  Nowhere in the article does it say the actors are looking for more money, only that their agents would be wise to negotiate more since the show is doing so well in the ratings which is no surprise to literally anyone that looks at ratings.

I agree. I'm sure Shonda/ABC already know who is staying or going. I'm sure they are loving the article though - if people think some may be leaving that probably helps the ratings because viewers may tune in to see who leaves and how they go. 

ETA: Camilla is doing an interview on Access Hollywood live today. I didn't know and didn't record (its on at 11 am here). Anyone see it? It does repeat on another channel at 1:30am but hopefully will turn up somewhere.

Edited by windsprints
(edited)

Oh my god, how can Camilla keep a straight face up against these two?  Is Billy Bush always like this?  Does he have a crush on Justin Chambers? LOL.  Also, I love how she has to set them straight about Alex and Meredith, poor Jo.  

This interview really doesn't say much about anything, but it does sound like Alex and Jo will be getting engaged at the very least, if not married.

Edited by Deanie87
3 hours ago, Joana said:

Oh god, I had totally forgot about Owen's dramatic call transfer, it was like they were spoofing an episode of Grey's. lol

• Love 1

Camilla's "he's not with meredith" with her hands up was the best part. I guess Jo doesn't know Izzie left Alex via a note way back when since she thinks it never happens, lol.

Thanks for posting the clip.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, GreysFan89 said:

Oh god, I had totally forgot about Owen's dramatic call transfer, it was like they were spoofing an episode of Grey's. lol

It did look like a some kind of parody. To me it was worse than the infamous musical episode, at least you could write that one off as a gimmick of some sort, this was just inexplicably bad writing. Shonda clearly didn't give a crap about the show back then, otherwise I can't see how it ever got approved. 

• Love 1

Grey's held last weeks 2.0 with 7.60M viewers. Once again it's ABCs highest rated drama of the week (Scandal pulled a 1.5, down from last week, and The Catch did an 0.9). Overall, only Modern Family is besting Grey's in the demo on ABC, and it's down to a 2.2 this week. Grey's remains insanely steady, especially going up against the 2nd highest rated series on broadcast (The Big Bang Theory.) 

Grey's remains insanely steady, especially going up against the 2nd highest rated series on broadcast (The Big Bang Theory.)

It beat TBBT in 18-34 this week. I know 18-49 is the key demo but that's still big for Grey's. I believe its the first time its ever bested TBBT in any demo.

(edited)

You mean while on the same night? Cuz in the 2010-2011 season, both were on Thursdays and Grey's was ahead in 18-49 for the season.

If you mean in the same hour, well, they've been up against each other for fewer than 2 seasons (given how Big Bang had Monday eps while football was going on)...

Edited by jjjmoss

I was referring to them going head to head. I'm aware its only been for a couple of seasons but IMO its still fairly impressive for a 12 year old show to beat one considered to be a show that always wins in ratings. YMMV.

(edited)

Oh my god. We're those Cosmo reporters professional "journalists" or college freshmen? Between the vocal fry and the amount of times they used the word "like," I couldn't get through it.

Thanks for posting!  Camilla is doing a lot of press lately but doesn't seem to be allowed to say anything.

Edited by Deanie87
10 minutes ago, Deanie87 said:

Oh my god. We're those Cosmo reporters professional "journalists" or college freshmen? Between the vocal fry and the amount of times they used the word "like," I couldn't get through it.

I don't think either of them are journalists, that's why they're riding around on a street car with a c-list actress asking fan questions on a Facebook live stream for Cosmopolitan lol. I looked her up - the one 'interviewing' is Cosmo's Entertainment Director. I listened to it in the background while I made dinner... as much as I'm impartial to Jo, I really do appreciate how enthusiastic Camilla is about the show. 

Also guys when are the Upfronts? I wonder if many of the cast will attend seeing as we got a full house last year. I assume Capshawnis out and possibly Hinton pending her show pick up.

(edited)
13 hours ago, BaseOps said:

She's a real trooper, honestly. She gets asked the same questions and gives the same answers, and she actually does it while remaining enthusiastic and seeming very kind and open. I know it's part of her job, but many actors / actresses look miserable doing this.

Also, Jessica Capshaw had her baby.

She is also pretty gracious considering how often these interviewers insult her character, which she really has no control over.  Jo is polarizing but Meredith, Amelia, and April aren't? Ok.  I don't remember any of the other actresses getting those kind of rude undercurrents in their interviews.  Maybe I'm just oversensitive to it because I think Jo gets held to different standards than most of the other female characters, but she certainly handled it all with good humor and humility.

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 3
(edited)

One more Camilla interview: 

She is also pretty gracious considering how often these interviewers insult her character, which she really has no control over.  Jo is polarizing but Meredith, Amelia, and April aren't? Ok.  I don't remember any of the other actresses getting those kind of rude undercurrents in their interviews.

Agree. The one also kept prying after she said she didn't speak about her personal relationship. Rude. I also wish they'd stop asking every cast member about McDreamy leaving in every interview. They've all answered; its been a year. Time to move on.

Its great to see her doing some interviews. The finale is just over a week away and there's not many doing promotion. 

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 1

Another stroke of genius is to retain divisive characters, like sanctimonious April (Sarah Drew) and mercurial Amelia (Caterina Scorsone). These two living car crashes make for great TV because they are not stereotypically “likable.” April is the rare committed Christian on TV, which is refreshing, but she’s also pigheaded and rash. Amelia is a mess but you can’t stop watching her.

Oh, New York Post, never change!   "Living car crashes!"  Ha!

• Love 1

I can't help but shake my head at phrases like "the show has bounced back in quality". Has it though? When Meredith is mad at Amelia for the 100th time this season for reasons that are not brand new to Meredith, that doesn't really spell quality to me. When they drag out the business between Owen and Nathan for a handful of episodes before we even know why they hate each other, that's not quality writing. 

I understand YMMV. And this is not to say that Grey's doesn't deserve the praise for holding steady and doing so well in the ratings in it's old age. But big ratings and good quality are not mutually exclusive. 

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

I can't help but shake my head at phrases like "the show has bounced back in quality". Has it though? When Meredith is mad at Amelia for the 100th time this season for reasons that are not brand new to Meredith, that doesn't really spell quality to me. When they drag out the business between Owen and Nathan for a handful of episodes before we even know why they hate each other, that's not quality writing. 

I understand YMMV. And this is not to say that Grey's doesn't deserve the praise for holding steady and doing so well in the ratings in it's old age. But big ratings and good quality are not mutually exclusive. 

I agree completely!  I think that sometimes reporters get carried away with thinking ratings increase/stabilization is equivalent to better quality.  I wonder if most of them are even watching (some do for sure but definitely not all).  

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

We'll never have the quality of S2 again, but I think S12 - despite many obvious flaws - has been much, much better than the dreadful season 11 and probably S10. It's a lot more enjoyable, for me anyway. I do wish they'd improve several things, but I can see why the media and fans are praising the show this season. It does feel rejuvenated to me. 

• Love 2

While I understand the notion that the show maybe more enjoyable this season (I am one of those annoying fans who can't enjoy the show as a whole when my favorites get nothing), I think that the consistency of the writing is the worst that it has ever been and there isn't the excuse that they had last year.  I actually enjoyed season 10, and the Mer and Cristina fight kept both in character and made sense to me, for example.   And of course, Alex got a lot to do, and that always helps.

This season (and last season) I have just found so many storylines that don't make sense given what we have already seen, characters acting in ways that seems completely unlike their behavior in the 10+ seasons before and stuff that gets dropped then picked up then dropped again with no seeming rhyme or reason, and the timeline which just doesn't bear thinking about anymore. Maybe the patient stuff has been better or the dialogue, but overall, I think that this has become a show that you need to watch almost glassy-eyed with no deep thought or discussion given to it.  Which stinks because it didn't always used to be like this and clearly we on this forum like to discuss and think about the show.

• Love 8
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Deanie87 said:

While I understand the notion that the show maybe more enjoyable this season (I am one of those annoying fans who can't enjoy the show as a whole when my favorites get nothing), I think that the consistency of the writing is the worst that it has ever been and there isn't the excuse that they had last year.  I actually enjoyed season 10, and the Mer and Cristina fight kept both in character and made sense to me, for example.   And of course, Alex got a lot to do, and that always helps.

This season (and last season) I have just found so many storylines that don't make sense given what we have already seen, characters acting in ways that seems completely unlike their behavior in the 10+ seasons before and stuff that gets dropped then picked up then dropped again with no seeming rhyme or reason, and the timeline which just doesn't bear thinking about anymore. Maybe the patient stuff has been better or the dialogue, but overall, I think that this has become a show that you need to watch almost glassy-eyed with no deep thought or discussion given to it.  Which stinks because it didn't always used to be like this and clearly we on this forum like to discuss and think about the show.

Yea, I don't disagree with you... I actually liked the Mer / Cristina storyline as well. I thought it made sense for both of them. I haven't watched S10 in a while, but there were things I really disliked (Shane's storyline, for example. HATED.) Last year, to me, was awful. Even with the excuse of scrambling to fix things given Dempsey's departure, the writing was just atrocious. I couldn't even get through a lot of the episodes on rewatch, which has never happened before for me with this show. This season hasn't given me anything that I despise, you know? (Okay, maybe Penny...) I've just found it overall enjoyable, with some really good moments throughout... I do wish the writers would just sit down and get some shit together. Too many unnecessary characters, too much focus on hitting plot-points rather than following character logic, and too many characters that I love getting left with nothing to do are the big issues for me. Granted, those are some big issues indeed... but I certainly see why many casual fans are enjoying this season a lot more and why critics feel it's been refreshed. I can only hope S13 continues to improve and gets us all to a better place where the die-hard fans who take the time to really examine the show can enjoy it more. 

Edited by BaseOps
(edited)

I think that sometimes reporters get carried away with thinking ratings increase/stabilization is equivalent to better quality. 

Agreed. I think the show barely losing audience when Patrick left surprised the media. Personally I do not believe ratings=quality at all (good shows can of course also have good ratings).

This season (and last season) I have just found so many storylines that don't make sense given what we have already seen, characters acting in ways that seems completely unlike their behavior in the 10+ seasons before and stuff that gets dropped then picked up then dropped again with no seeming rhyme or reason, and the timeline which just doesn't bear thinking about anymore.

Agree with all of this.

For me, seasons 11 & 12 are weak and not just because my favorites didn't have story.  Many characters had no story that lasted more than an episode or 2.  What were the big stories this year? April & Jackson and Meredith. Even with them much of story is covered in an episode or 2 then dropped. Its a lot of stalling. The stories are told in tiny snippets & some go on so long that I just don't care. Ex: Owen/Nathan. I don't care for Owen but I kind of like Nathan right from the start. I was interested in their history. How they chose to tell the story killed it for me. We had Owen raging, Meredith and Owen acting like HS mean girls and 3/4 into the season finally learn why Owen hates Nathan. Many of the episode have felt like a bunch of scenes and not part of a cohesive arc/season. That doesn't mean they weren't entertaining episodes or scenes (there's been some really great scenes) but I just didn't find the storytelling as it was in earlier seasons. Its all subjective though and everyone likes different things. I guess that is why Grey's lasts and lasts, someone one person hates is something another loves. 

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 2

As a fan in the LGBT demographic, the thing that frustrates me the most is seeing people think that Shonda represents the community well just because she hasn't killed off Callie or Arizona yet, but she has killed off Derek and Mark, the token straight white guys.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, Deanie87 said:

probably getting off topic here, but I for one don't find this season more enjoyable, or better quality.  The stories are circling around and around with little to no payoff.  In fact, I haven't even gotten around to watching last week's episode.  I completely agree with the bolded.  I've said this many time before but I thought S11 was going to be an anomaly with the disjointed stories and things forgotten about or ignored but S12 is exactly the same.   

41 minutes ago, windsprints said:

Many of the episode have felt like a bunch of scenes and not part of a cohesive arc/season. That doesn't mean they weren't entertaining episodes or scenes (there's been some really great scenes) but I just didn't find the storytelling as it was in earlier seasons. Its all subjective though and everyone likes different things. I guess that is why Grey's lasts and lasts, someone one person hates is something another loves. 

agree with basically everything windsprints said but this is really key.  I didn't like a lot of S10 stories but difference was they were thoughtfully and well told.  Even though i didn't like it in real-time, when I got back and watch S10 i do see the flow but not with S11 and likely not with S12 either.  

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Deanie87 said:

I totally agree. 

I think the show has creatively suffered from the departure of the head writers - Joan Rater and Tony Phelan after S10. They left with Sandra.

I still find William Harper a good writer,but the duo of Rater and Phelan was incomparably better than McKee/Harper tandem. 

A lot of actors say that Shonda has no real plan for storylines, only looks at how actors interact with each other and that is how she writes the plot. Maybe it got out of her hand and it is not a tactics that works. Also Henderson said he never even knew what the arc was with Owen, he was never actually told what the story was, he must have been SHOCKED that Nathan cheated and never saw that coming at all. I think writers had no real idea what they were doing  in this Owen/Nathan plot so it ended up being a big mess.

Edited by NathanRiggsfan
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Greysaddict said:

probably getting off topic here, but I for one don't find this season more enjoyable, or better quality.  The stories are circling around and around with little to no payoff.  In fact, I haven't even gotten around to watching last week's episode.  I completely agree with the bolded.  I've said this many time before but I thought S11 was going to be an anomaly with the disjointed stories and things forgotten about or ignored but S12 is exactly the same.   

agree with basically everything windsprints said but this is really key.  I didn't like a lot of S10 stories but difference was they were thoughtfully and well told.  Even though i didn't like it in real-time, when I got back and watch S10 i do see the flow but not with S11 and likely not with S12 either.  

Precisely.

55 minutes ago, windsprints said:

Agreed. I think the show barely losing audience when Patrick left surprised the media. Personally I do not believe ratings=quality at all (good shows can of course also have good ratings).

Agree with all of this.

For me, seasons 11 & 12 are weak and not just because my favorites didn't have story.  Many characters had no story that lasted more than an episode or 2.  What were the big stories this year? April & Jackson and Meredith. Even with them much of story is covered in an episode or 2 then dropped. Its a lot of stalling. The stories are told in tiny snippets & some go on so long that I just don't care. Ex: Owen/Nathan. I don't care for Owen but I kind of like Nathan right from the start. I was interested in their history. How they chose to tell the story killed it for me. We had Owen raging, Meredith and Owen acting like HS mean girls and 3/4 into the season finally learn why Owen hates Nathan. Many of the episode have felt like a bunch of scenes and not part of a cohesive arc/season. That doesn't mean they weren't entertaining episodes or scenes (there's been some really great scenes) but I just didn't find the storytelling as it was in earlier seasons. Its all subjective though and everyone likes different things. I guess that is why Grey's lasts and lasts, someone one person hates is something another loves. 

I agree.

Especially the Owen/Nathan arc was a DISASTER.

Edited by NathanRiggsfan
  • Love 1
(edited)

THR - 'Grey's Anatomy': What's Keeping Jo and Alex From Getting Married?

Camilla sums up why I like Jo for Alex - he's never been second best for her (of course that could be retconned at some point and I'll have to take that back, lol)

Luddington compared a potential Alex and Meredith pairing to Alex and Izzie (Katherine Heigl) — whose romantic relationship evolved after Denny (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) died.
"When Denny died, that's when Alex and Izzy got together; so Derek dies and Alex and Meredith would get together? Since Alex has been with Meredith since the beginning, he'd be the back-up person. I feel like Alex needs a girl who from the get-go has always thought he was it for her."

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 2

Mer/Alex would be icky, but as a huge Izzie and Alex/Izzie fan, I have to say a big "EFF YOU" to Camilla for that comment and comparing them in any way to Mer/Alex which she has said would be "incestuous." I mean, AI had their issues like every other couple on this show, but they were together on/off and were friends before Denny's annoying ass storyline. Alex was such a dick back then but Izzie gets all the blame for everything in their relationship and he wasn't just her back-up.

I know the Jolex fans always complain about lack of storyline, but if you had to choose between not much airtime, but having your couple be happy and mostly drama-free, or having your couple be front and center but have to deal with the back-stabbing, cheating, nasty fighting over the kids and all the crap the other couples go through, wouldn't you choose the first? Jolex have always been in a happy, boring little bubble and whatever drama they're over-hyping will probably be nothing. I'm still waiting for Jo and her "violent but it's ok cuz she's a girl!" self to just go away and take Penny with her. Camilla sounds like she's pretty tight with EP, so unfortunately that will probably never happen. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I was both an Izzie and an Alex/Izzie fan and I'm not bothered by Camilla's comment. Denny definitely put a blemish on A/I for me. He was the thing that wouldn't leave, even when dead. If Katherine remained on the show I would have rooted for A/I likely until the end. But, she's been gone for roughly 6 years and I would have hated if they never had Alex find love again. I think Jo/Alex are a good match, I enjoy watching the couple (when they get scenes) and I like that Alex is with someone who has been shown to give a crap about him. I fully understand though that there are people who don't feel this way.

I know the Jolex fans always complain about lack of storyline, but if you had to choose between not much airtime, but having your couple be happy and mostly drama-free, or having your couple be front and center but have to deal with the back-stabbing, cheating, nasty fighting over the kids and all the crap the other couples go through, wouldn't you choose the first?

There's a big difference between not much airtime and being pushed aside completely plus having Meredith wedged in there. I can only speak for myself but I'd pick some drama over the zero they've had for the past 2 seasons. I'd also definitely pick drama for Alex (my favorite) over having him be the happy gal pal, car pooling and chatting about Maggie's vagina.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 1

Ellen Pompeo talks about Meredith hooking up with Riggs in this interview, in part:

Shonda is very cautious about Meredith’s journey forward, and who that’s with and how that happens. I know she’s very thoughtful about it and has very specific ideas about what Meredith’s introduction to new guys should be. We’re trying to get the fans used to the idea of Meredith dating first and seeing Meredith in the presence of another man romantically. I think we’ve got to lay that on the fans very gently.

• Love 1

This whole "we have to tiptoe around the fans" crap is so dumb and also disingenuous.  With all the misery and nonsensical writing happening on Grey's these days, I just can't believe that she isn't going to do whatever she wants whenever she wants.   I find the whole "you only get one great love" to be completely distasteful and it will make it impossible for me to care about any of Mer's "hook-ups" going forward.  If they don't think that Meredith (or the fans, just think of the fans!) are ready to be in a relationship then why don't they just keep her sex life offscreen and out of the spotlight like they do with Arizona.  

• Love 2

Grey's Anatomy's Kevin McKidd: Cristina Sparks 'Friction' Leading Up to Owen and Amelia's Wedding

Though Yang’s been in Zurich for two years, her person, Meredith, continues to watch over Hunt. “She still feels like she’s Owen’s guardian,” says Kevin McKidd, who plays the groom, “and she takes that role very seriously. She still has that allegiance to Cristina, so she has some issues with [the marriage].

“And she also has her own issues with Amelia,” he adds, “so there’s some friction between them.”

LOL, Meredith is butting in and bringing her own issues with Amelia into it.  She can't let 35-40 year old people live their lives and try to be happy. She becomes more of a harpy each season.

• Love 3