Type keyword(s) to search

Grey's Anatomy in the Media: Incident Reporting

• Start Topic

Wow. Ellen hasn't ever really been that open about an endgame before, she's always been a bit more vague before this interview. So it definitely sounds like her and Shonda have recently (and privately) discussed when the right time to end the show would be. Her wanting the show to "end on a high note" makes me feel like there's definitely a number in mind already as far as seasons go. I feel like her contract renewal could give us a hint for how much longer the show will continue...

If it's two more years (S13+14), I'd assume she just made a similar deal to the last two times and that the show could actually still go on beyond 13+14 through to 15 or possibly 16 depending on the next renewal (which could be for a shortened final 15th season, or two more seasons). If it comes out that she somehow signed a 3 or 4 year deal, then that is probably definitively the answer of when the show will be coming to an end.

• Love 1

Hmmmm....

Interestingly, Deadline says that Hinton’s role on Toast “will have no immediate impact on her status on Grey’s Anatomy,” so it looks like another bomb or plane crash or car accident isn’t necessarily in that show’s future. However, if Toast gets picked up for a series order, “that will likely be revisited.”

Edited by pennben

So after years of trying to make fetch happen with Stephanie Shonda is finally just giving Hinton A show instead. Good for her I think the Greya character is unnecessary but I do like Hinton as an actor.

So lost on where to post this, but I would categorize commercials as Media--I am positive that Katherine Heigl is appearing as the therapist in a kitty litter commercial.  Wow.

I agree, wow, its so great that her foundation is partnering with Cat's Pride to help animals! As an animal lover I love how she has been an advocate for animals for all these years. She and her foundation have done so much good. Good for her, I hope she continues her work with animals for years to come. 

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 3

I would have loved to see an Izzie return years ago but now that its been 6 seasons since she left I'd rather her not return. If it ever happened (& I agree with you that it won't) it would be a 1 episode stunt and not be worth it IMO.

Yahoo interview with Shonda: http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/shonda-rhimes-talks-politics-upcoming-season-scandal/story?id=37706727

Its more about Scandal but she say this about GA:

“How long can it go on?” Spencer asked, to which Rhimes replied: “Well, ‘Scandal’ has an end date in my mind.”

But, Rhimes added, “Grey’s is going to go on forever. As long as we can do it because I’m enjoying it,” she said, adding that she and “Grey’s" actress Ellen Pompeo “made a pact that as long as the both of us want to do it we’re going to keep doing it.”

I agree, wow, its so great that her foundation is partnering with Cat's Pride to help animals! As an animal lover I love how she has been an advocate for animals for all these years. She and her foundation have done so much good. Good for her, I hope she continues her work with animals for years to come. 

windsprints, thanks for educating me on the foundation.  I had no idea.  To be honest, I was shocked to see her on a kitty litter commercial, but as a cat lover myself, I appreciate knowing about her partnership.  Now I wish she was my cat's therapist--heaven knows she needs one.

Based on the early household numbers, Grey's is not only up from last week, but also up year-to-year. The final demos will be a few more hours. 

if this holds true for the national numbers it will quiet a feat with March Madness and daylight savings time! 

In the national ratings, Grey's was even with last week with the A18-49 demo and up in total viewers (that's likely why the HH numbers were up).

Grey's- 2.1, even with last week and same day last year

Scandal- continues to fall with a 1.6 this week down .1 from last week and down 41% from last year

HTGAWM finale was a 1.4, even with last week but down 50% from last year's finale (which was a week earlier)

Edited by Greysaddict

I think that its great that Grey's is doing so well after all these years.  But, I feel that the writing has gotten lazy and the writers/producers/Shonda have gotten complacent when it comes to storytelling and, really with the ratings being so great, do they have any motivation to change things?  

I know that ratings are a complicated issue, and you can never be 100% sure why viewers are tuning in or tuning out, but I kind of wish that there was some motivation for them to try a little harder.

• Love 2

I agree, but on the other hand, after all this time, would they even bother with the show if the rating dropped dramatically or would just pull the plug? It's hard to tell. 

I agree, but on the other hand, after all this time, would they even bother with the show if the rating dropped dramatically or would just pull the plug? It's hard to tell.

I would be fine with that as well. If they insist on keeping the show going indefinitely, I want the writing to be consistent and equal as much as possible for all of the characters. If they can't, then they need to make some changes or just end it.

At this rate, Grey's has a HUGE way to fall before ABC would even consider pulling the plug. It will be in Shonda & Ellen's hands. Most of their dramas are teetering around a 1.0 (Castle, Agents of Shield, Nashville) and the rest aren't much higher (HTGAWM, Once Upon a Tim, etc.) I'm pretty sure Grey's is the highest rated drama on broadcast again this week. 

• Love 1

Exactly. It's now funny that less than 5 years ago, GA dropped under a 3.0 demo for the first time and people freaked about the imminent cancelation.

to be fair, 5 years ago is a lifetime ago in the TV world.  Hell even you can't even compare things to 2-3 years ago because the way in which people consume media is completely different.  Not just tv/video but all forms of entertainment/media from TV down to social networking.

I agree with Deanie87 though, its unfortunate that Grey's is so stable because the general press (and likely the writing staff) seem to think GA is on this new creative streak, but I personally think the show is at some of lowest quality ever in terms of writing/creativity.

In recent interviews (all in the media thread) Ellen said there is an end in sight and Shonda said she doesn't see it ending but both said it will end when they agree to end it. So, who knows. ABC will certainly want it to keep going if the ratings continue but I do think it will end when Shonda & Ellen decide they're done.  My guess is that they will try to go 15 to match ER.

If they insist on keeping the show going indefinitely, I want the writing to be consistent and equal as much as possible for all of the characters.

I wish they would improve on that too. I guess it depends on what they're looking for. If they want to keep it going indefinitely I'd think they would want stories for all the characters to make the appeal as broad as possible and try to keep everyone watching. 

The thing that irks me most about the writing is that they'll dig up a tidbit that happened 10 seasons ago to make a plot point, but they'll forget something that happened 2 episodes ago.

• Love 1

The thing that irks me most about the writing is that they'll dig up a tidbit that happened 10 seasons ago to make a plot point, but they'll forget something that happened 2 episodes ago.

It's really annoying. 

Also, while subtlety has never been one of the show's strenghts, it gets so irritating that everything has to be grandiose and in-your-face at all times. It was obvious Penny would win Amelia over eventually, but of course Amelia cannot simply ackownledge that Penny is a competent doctor who deserves to be treated fairly. No, she needs to be completely awed by her mad surgical skills and then proclaim her as the best resident she's ever worked with and a God's gift to medicine.

Meredith can't just answer the guy's phone calls or call him herself, we need him to call her 24/7 because he cares so much and then show up at her workplace unannounced. Because yeah, it's totally something people would do after having met once on business for a few hours and it's not at all weird.

Etc, etc. 

Just for reference, here is ABCs ratings this week (Monday - Sunday) for the 18 - 49 demo. 

1. Modern Family - 2.5
2. Grey's Anatomy - 2.1
3. The Goldbergs - 2.0
4. The Middle - 1.7
5. Scandal - 1.6
6. HTGAWM (Season finale) - 1.4
7. Last Man Standing - 1.2
8. Once Upon a Time - 1.1
8. Fresh off The Boat - 1.1
10. Quantico - 1.0
10. Agents of Shield - 1.0
10. The Real O'Neals - 1.0
10. Dr. Ken - 1.0
14. Nashville - 0.9
15. The Family - 0.7
16. Of Kings & Prophets (Which has since been cancelled) - 0.5

Edited by BaseOps

I love seeing how much everyone seems to get along on-set and how much fun they're having this year. Ellen posted this of Debbie:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDO33gXkAQz/?taken-by=ellenpompeo

Also this from 2 weeks ago: https://www.instagram.com/p/BCgvdLYkAc4/?taken-by=ellenpompeo

Jillian Dempsey sent makeup to Ellen - https://www.instagram.com/p/BCbRM2NEAeZ/?taken-by=ellenpompeo

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 1

Ellen Pompeo and Debbie Allen seem to very good friends and have a great time together.  i'd venture a guess that Debbie plays a huge part in Ellen's somewhat revived interest in the show and what makes her even more inclined to stick around.  

• Love 1

Grey's Anatomy Star Jerrika Hinton Teases a Shocking Twist for Dr. Stephanie Edwards

the twist doesn't seem so "shocking" but its a good article.  Jerrika talks a little bit about Stephanie's future in neuro and how Stephanie makes a surprising decision near the end of the season.  She also talks a bit about the large cast and staying character when you have less of a focus.  

On a show where there is so much change, in terms of both story and cast evolution, what's the thing that makes Grey's feel like Grey's, even amidst all that change?

Messy humanity, maybe. That's key to Shondaland in general. Nobody is perfect, and they're all desperately trying to be the best version of themselves. There's a plot point that happens close to the end of the season, where Stephanie makes a decision that I, as an actor, as a human being [would not make]. I got on the phone with the writers a lot, and I was like, "You're really having her do this?" I'm very open to her doing things that I don't agree with, because the more ways we find to really make these characters, the better this whole thing is. But this decision … wow. I won't keep talking about it, because I think it might be coming too close to spoiler-y. But even in that decision, I see within it her attempting to be the best her that she knows how to be in that moment. That's what makes the show sing and gives it its loyal viewership.
Edited by Greysaddict

Grey's this week was a 2.0, down a tenth from last week.  Still higher than Scandal (1.6) and the new The Catch, which did a pretty poor 1.2.  The decline is prettty typical for this time of year.  Also tied with The Goldbergs for ABC's #2 show.  

Edited by Greysaddict
  • Love 2

Grey's did a 2.0 last night (half hours 2.0/2.1) It's still trouncing the rest of TGIT and it was the highest-rated scripted show on broadcast last night, bested only by the last bit of NCAA basketball which pulled a 2.1. In terms of dramas on broadcast this week, only Criminal Minds beat it in the demo (2.2). They had a huge spike because a long-time character was exiting. 

The rest of TGIT last night: 

Scandal : 1.6
The Catch : 1.2

EDIT: Woops, Greysaddict beat me to it lol. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 1

Grey's did a 2.0 last night (half hours 2.0/2.1) It's still trouncing the rest of TGIT and it was the highest-rated scripted show on broadcast last night, bested only by the last bit of NCAA basketball which pulled a 2.1. In terms of dramas on broadcast this week, only Criminal Minds beat it in the demo (2.2). They had a huge spike because a long-time character was exiting. 

The rest of TGIT last night: 

Scandal : 1.6

The Catch : 1.2

EDIT: Woops, Greysaddict beat me to it lol. 

no worries!  Just one thing to note though, you can't really compare the Fast Affiliate numbers for NCAA basketball because the games are on live all across the country.  That 2.1 will probably be adjusted down since basketball was over by 9pm on the west coast.  :)

Edited by Greysaddict
  • Love 1

That article has a lot of misinformation... from stating that Grey's is in its 13th season to stating that Grey's has the lowest demo of the 3 TGIT shows. It actually has the highest for several weeks running. Grey's also didn't take a huge hit after Derek died last season (as they suggested) - the only reason the drop looked big was because the episode itself where Derek died rose big-time (from a 2.1 to a 2.8). The finale still did a 2.2 which was in line with the back-half of the season. It does have a few interesting points though. 

• Love 2

Thank you.  I just read that and was thinking that's not right at all.  Does anyone here know anything about that site? Because it surely isn't a factual "news" site.

Edited by pennben

Thank you.  I just read that and was thinking that's not right at all.  Does anyone here know anything about that site? Because it surely isn't a factual "news" site.

not only are there tons of errors in this article (as BaseOps pointed out), it's also terribly written.   I don't know anything about the site but I probably wouldn't trust it.  I tend to stick to the online news sources that are also real print publications (TVGuide, EW, Variety, Hollywood Reporter, Deadline, etc).  Oh and TVline and tv.com are reliable as well.

• Love 1

From The Hollywood Reporter: 'Grey's Anatomy' Poised to Become ABC's Top-Rated Show in 12th Season

One benefit for Grey's: Steady is the new up. The series outpaces the TGIT pack because fellow Shonda Rhimes drama Scandal is down 17 percent this season and How to Get Away With Murder fell 30 percent. New entry The Catch debuted March 24 to a disappointing 1.2 live-plus-same-day rating in the demo.

By contrast, Grey's barely has budged and ranks as the No. 2 returning broadcast drama in the demo year-over-year (trailing only Fox's Empire) — a sign fans haven't quit the series after leading man Patrick Dempsey was killed off last season with a year remaining on his contract.

Rhimes credits the staying power to the show's honest relationships and a character viewers are invested in. "The audience truly identifies with Ellen Pompeo," Rhimes tells THR. "We are following this woman's journey and the journey of all these people with her. It's not about a lot of tricks; it's about watching people evolve."

• Love 1

Really happy that Shonda Rhimes recognizes and values Ellen Pompeo's contribution as the lead.  Also glad Meredith is back at the center of the show.  Grey's Anatomy is Meredith's story.

Hope they tie Arizona, April and Jackson back into Meredith's story.  

Love all the characters on the show.  Meredith has always been my favorite since the show is following her life.

The ratings for Grey's have been stable for years regardless of whether or not the story centers on Meredith. Combine that with the fact that the ratings barely budged when Patrick/Derek left and I think that proves that the audience is invested in more than just Meredith. She barely has a relationship with half the characters on the show. She's the least central central character that I can think of on television.

• Love 4

This chart shows the 18-34, 18-49 & 25-54 demos. Grey's was second only to Big Bang (& was top drama) in every demo for the night. Posting since there seems to be rumors on twitter that Grey's is doing ok in the ratings only because tweens picked up the show. Of course we all know tweens are even in the demo that is being tracked here, lol.

Interview with Wilmer Valderrama

Oh yay, Wilmer the guest star will have a storyline that spans multiple episodes including showing a relationship. Don't worry, Justin. Maybe if you stay until season 29 you too can have a multiple episode storyline.

What do you expect? It's not like he is second billed in the credits or anything. It's only fair that Penny gets her turn. His time will come.

• Love 2