Type keyword(s) to search

Grey's Anatomy in the Media: Incident Reporting

• Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

So apparently there is a change.org petition to get Jesse fired from Grey's.

But then that was counter-pointed by another change.org petition to keep him.

in the aftermath of this, Shonda tweeted:

Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 11.38.03 AM.png

Heh.

A petition when there's a speech about racism...Jesse was courageous to standup  just like Sara who stands for equal rights for all. Those that sign the petition can simply change the channel at 8pm Thursday nights. 

Edited by Catznip
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, doram said:

So I'm guessing Shonda is going to write Avery a phenomenal arc next season in response to this? More screen time, more presence, more interactions and influence on other characters, more romance - with the requisite shirtless scenes, etc? 

Oh boy I hope not...not a huge fan of Jackson and whining April, nor do I want to see more of Catherine!!

• Love 3

Like this petition would ever work with Shonda as his boss and Channing Dugney-an African-American woman and sister to the actress Merrin Dugney from OAUT and other shows-as the head of ABC Entertainment. So many people are ignorant of who the power players are and how the real world works.

• Love 4

The petition thing is completely ridiculous. Just when you think you have witnessed rock bottom when it comes to people.....you realize that wasn't rock bottom after all. 

1 hour ago, doram said:

So I'm guessing Shonda is going to write Avery a phenomenal arc next season in response to this? More screen time, more presence, more interactions and influence on other characters, more romance - with the requisite shirtless scenes, etc? 

Maybe! Though Jackson is a favorite, so of course I would feel that way.......

• Love 3

First I laughed at the stupidity of the petition (I didn't hear the speech but shouldn't come to surprise to anyone, he's been very vocal about these things in twitter for a long time) and then I thought: do these people know his boss is a black woman? And the head of the network he's in is another black woman?

Right. They actually believe they can tell her what to do? They don't know her very well do they?

Although it says more about the people who created the petition to fire him than Jesse Williams and his speech. Their reaction just confirms what he said about the issue of race.

• Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, Catznip said:

Oh boy I hope not...not a huge fan of Jackson and whining April, nor do I want to see more of Catherine!!

Ditto. Not that I hate them or want them gone, but I don't think we need to see more of them. Especially as I can't see it being anything other than the same old rehashed "I love you! No, wait, I hate you! I can't live without you! Get the hell out of my sight! Let's try to be nice to each other for baby's sake! But I actually do really love you!" merry-go-round. Also, more screen time means more drama, and those two have had more than their fair share of it. Just let them be. 

Edited by Joana
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, redfish said:

Although it says more about the people who created the petition to fire him than Jesse Williams and his speech. Their reaction just confirms what he said about the issue of race.

This exactly!

I don't see Jackson taking a backseat this season. Shonda has her favorites and JW is most definitely one of them. I've watched long enough to figure out that if you are one of her favorites or if you are connected to one of her favorites you'll do just fine. 

Wow! I would have never predicted that this professional reunion, albeit not on Grey's  would have ever been a possibility.  Good for everyone involved if they worked through the mess of those first few seasons. 

• Love 2

Probably a UO here but I think the poster is dull.  Good news (for me) is that the poster generally means nothing.  Hopefully we'll start seeing some interviews in the next couple of weeks now that they're back to work.

I'm glad they're giving #TGIT a break since its been a couple of years now.  Something new may be nice & may give Grey's its due as being the anchor for all the others on that night.

Edited by windsprints
15 hours ago, windsprints said:

Probably a UO here but I think the poster is dull.  Good news (for me) is that the poster generally means nothing.  Hopefully we'll start seeing some interviews in the next couple of weeks now that they're back to work.

I'm glad they're giving #TGIT a break since its been a couple of years now.  Something new may be nice & may give Grey's its due as being the anchor for all the others on that night.

I found the poster pretty dull, too. I mean, there's really nothing to it except for a pretty basic design. 

Caterina is pregnant, but they're probably not writing it in.

Wonderful news for Caterina & her husband! I'm glad they aren't writing it in though. There's plenty of babies and Owen & Amelia just got married quickly. There's plenty of story right there, save the baby for later IMO.

Grey's Anatomy's Caterina Scorsone on Amelia's 'Cake' Baby, Jo's 'Huge' Story

Another season, another interview saying Alex/Jo will have a huge story.  Here's hoping but we'll see.  I'll be happy if they get some story that is just about them even if its not huge.

• Love 1

I'm ready for Alex/Jo to have their moment. Alex is an original and I feel like he's just been part of everyone else's story for so long. He needs his moment also. 

I am also glad they aren't writing Caterina's pregnancy in. Owen and Amelia need to find their footing first before starting with kids. Plus, we just got Baby Avery. 

We were also told before Season 12 that it would be lighter. The majority of what happened last season wouldn't fit into the "light" category. I take this stuff with a grain of salt. 

• Love 1

Yeah, I have learned not to take much of this stuff seriously.  At this point, the actors only know about the first couple of episodes so while they may feature certain characters prominently, who knows where the season will go from there.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, apn85 said:

We were also told before Season 12 that it would be lighter. The majority of what happened last season wouldn't fit into the "light" category. I take this stuff with a grain of salt. 

It's a drama, there will always be darker storylines. I think season 12 was still a lot lighter than 11 and probably even 10.

4 minutes ago, BaseOps said:

It's a drama, there will always be darker storylines. I think season 12 was still a lot lighter than 11 and probably even 10.

I agree that it was lighter than Season 11. However, there were seasons in the past that I considered lighter than 12 by far. I get that it's a drama, but when the majority of the characters don't have even a semi happy story line going on...to me, that isn't light. To each their own, of course. :)  

At this point, the actors only know about the first couple of episodes so while they may feature certain characters prominently, who knows where the season will go from there.

I agree. I think most of the preseason stuff covers the first 5 or so episodes. After that who knows. I don't buy for a second that Maggie won't be front and center again for most of the season.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, BaseOps said:

I hope season 13 will be more balanced. Most of the storylines for Seasons 11 and 12 for the established characters were so dark: death, divorce, custody battles, marital estrangement, a botched surgery. 

I think in the past there was more of a balance of humor, which made the whole show seem lighter even when the storylines were tragic. You had Cristina snarking on everything, Alex being a lovable jerk, even with characters like Jackson and April, their storyline was of the romantic angst variety rather than the pained tragedy and anger magnets they've become.

Losing Cristina was the probably the biggest shift for the show's tone. They needed to replace her with another character who could also bring the funny. My dream would be for them to cut 5-6 extraneous cast members and use the extra dough to lure SO back. Sigh...

• Love 2

In that past the show had more heart. Losing Cristina, Derek and Callie back to back doesn't help. But here is hoping they actually do stick to their word and keep this season's focus on the oft neglected originals, though I won't hold my breath. 

From TV Guide's Fall Preview:

Grey's Anatomy (ABC)
Premieres: Thursday, Sept. 22 at 8/7c

Where We Left Off: Amelia and Owen (presumably) tied the knot, and April gave birth to her and Jackson's baby. Jo confessed to DeLuca that the reason she can't marry Alex is that she's already married, and changed her name to escape from her abusive husband. Alex walked in on them in a very compromising position, and before Jo could explain, he wailed on DeLuca. Arizona gave Callie her blessing for Callie to take Sofia to New York so she can be with Penny. Meredith and Riggs realized they have a connection that goes deeper than just sex, but an unwitting Maggie told Meredith that she has feelings for Riggs, and believes they're reciprocated.
What's Next: Season 13 will primarily focus on the original characters of Meredith, Alex, Bailey and Richard. The Meredith-Riggs-Maggie dynamic will cause problems for the sisters beyond the season premiere, which will mainly deal with the "pretty intense fallout" from Alex's beating of DeLuca, which "causes some friction among the doctors," Kelly McCreary tells TVGuide.com. Amelia and Owen will find themselves navigating the ups and downs of married life, while Alex and Jo find their relationship upended after Jo's dishonesty and Alex's violent impulses. It remains to be seen whether Callie will get a proper sendoff, given Sara Ramirez's departure from the show, as well as whether Jackson and April's co-parenting will reunite them as a couple.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 3

Yahoo TV Fall TV Preview: Grey's Anatomy

(copying Grey's blurb here in case people can't scroll through the slideshow; got stuck on my phone)

‘Grey’s Anatomy’ (Sept. 22, 8 p.m., ABC)
This Season’s Theme: Relationship drama! Camilla Luddington, who plays intern Jo Wilson, says that the premiere picks up right where the Season 12 finale left off: with Alex (Justin Chambers) just having beaten DeLuca (Giacomo Gianniotti) to a pulp after finding him with Jo and believing the worst. "Dealing with the aftermath is probably the central storyline," she says of the beginning of Season 13. And then there's a love triangle brewing with Meredith (Ellen Pompeo), sister Maggie (Kelly McCreary), and Riggs (Martin Henderson). 

Where We Left Off: Owen (Kevin McKidd) and Amelia (Caterina Scorsone) got married, and April (Sarah Drew) gave birth to her baby with Jackson (Jesse Williams). Arizona (Jessica Capshaw) made peace with Callie (Sara Ramirez), who moved to New York with her girlfriend.

Coming Up: The Alex mess is going to weigh heavily on the entire staff of Grey Sloan. "There will be ramifications," Luddington warns. "There's no way to hide what happened." Meredith, meanwhile, has a more light-hearted storyline. "There’s a little bit of a love triangle, although I feel like Meredith doesn’t want to admit it," she says. "It's a lot of fun. With Grey’s, even in the midst of the darkest storylines, they bring another element of comedy somewhere else." And let's not forget the newlyweds! "Amelia and Owen just got married and what does married life look life for two very complicated people who really jumped into it?" Luddington teases. 

Career Counseling: Even as Jo grapples with the aftermath of Alex's violent episode, she's still trying to find her place in the hospital. "Of anybody, Jo was connected to Callie, so Jo definitely has to find her place and her specialty," she says. "We see Stephanie (Jerrika Hinton) in neuro, and I think Jo wants that for herself. So this season, I think we’ll see Jo finding a mentor, because she lost the person who may have been that." — KW 

Edited by windsprints

Given they me we when bothered to have them interact when they were working together I don't get why it's suddenly an issue to have her continue in ortho without a mentor. 

Howwver i do like that they're finally integrating Jo in with the rest of the cast so I'll take it. 

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, carouselride said:

The department is closed down since there's actually no other ortho surgeon in that hospital.

Love how they're heads of departments but basically the only ones in them

Editing this...

Anyway, there does only seem to be one Ortho surgeon, one neuro surgeon, and one plastics surgeon (plus interns/residents/whatever they are).  The cast is so big on this show that I wouldn't want more characters, but I would like at least an acknowledgement that other doctors exist in this universe.

Edited by OtterMommy
  • Love 2
On 9/16/2016 at 6:41 PM, BaseOps said:

Here is Ellen's GMA segment from today: 

I enjoyed that interview, thanks for posting it.  Before I clicked through to watch the video, I was thinking to myself that Ellen looks fantastic, so it was a little amusing that they started off talking about aging in Hollywood.  Loved her take on Meredith as a mother!  All in all a nice piece. 

• Love 1