Type keyword(s) to search

Grey's Anatomy in the Media: Incident Reporting

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, flickers said:

I think bits and pieces were already released in other articles, but the whole interview gathered together is new?

Yup, this. They used a few pieces in previous articles but just published the entire thing. 

Grey's did a 2.4 in the demo last night, with 8.60M total viewers (the highest they've gotten in audience since November 2015). The finale did a 2.3, so it's up 0.1 from the end of last year. Aside from the NFL, it was the top-rated show of the night. It also has the 5th highest premiere demo of any shows since the new season began. The top 10: 

1. Empire 4.2
2. The Big Bang Theory 3.8
3. This is Us 2.8
4. Kevin Can Wait 2.6
tie Modern Family 2.6
5. Son of Zorn 2.4
tie Grey's Anatomy 2.4

6. The Good Place 2.3
7. NCIS 2.2
tie Bull 2.2
tie Lethal Weapon 2.2
tie Designated Survivor 2.2
8. The Goldbergs 2.0
tie Speechless 2.0
tie Black-ish 2.0
9. Law & Order: SVU 1.8
10.Chicago PD 1.6

• Love 3

I shouldn't be surprised anymore but I am constantly impressed by the ratings Grey's turns out year after year.  Some people will say that that 2.4 is down -14% from last year's premiere but literally everything is down year over year.  To be up over the finale and it's the highest rated episode among A18-49 since the mid-season premiere is very impressive.  

• Love 4

That 2.8 was hugely inflated, too. They were down to a 2.3 by the second episode. This year is also lacking the #TGIT hype; the numbers for all 3 shows (GA, Scandal, HTGAWM) premieres last year were huge. And the S12 premiere of Grey's was really pushed by all of the post-McDreamy hype. Being down year-to-year is normal, as you said @Greysaddict every show is down every year. It's especially hard to retain young viewers for live viewing, as they'd typically rather watch commercial free on-demand and online. Those numbers for Grey's are great. Notorious premiered to a 1.2 last night, and HTGAWM did a 1.4 while last year it premiered to a 2.6. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 1

Not really ratings per say, but I thought this was interesting.  Netflix, who famously doesn't release any viewing data, published this report of what episode people get "hooked" on for several shows.  For Grey's it's episode 2 (along with a few others).  

* A hooked episode was defined when 70% of viewers who watched that episode went on to complete season one of the same series.

netflix-consider-yourself-hooked.jpg

Edited by Greysaddict
  • Love 2

A 2.5 is fantastic. Thanks @windsprints.

20 minutes ago, Pinecone said:

I had 3 teenage volunteers this summer, and they all loved Grey's. I was surprised, but the DRAMA would have hooked me too at that age. 

I started watching when I was in 8th grade and I'm 25-years-old now. I have friends who have watched all along with me, friends who dropped it and picked it up again on Netflix or with DVDs, and now my young cousins (high school and college aged) are all watching too. I have an Uncle who watched all 12 seasons on Netflix last year. Grey's really has an incredible audience. I'd say it's one of the shows to benefit the most from streaming.

• Love 1

Grey's did a 2.4 in the demo last night, with 8.60M total viewers (the highest they've gotten in audience since November 2015).

THats fantastic - this has been the most exciting premiere the show has had since maybe season ten..

This is just nosiness on my part but I've seen a few posts on different sites speculating that Camilla may be pregnant. Ellen posted a video on her Instagram in which Camilla looks like she has a small tiny bump. I didn't notice it the first time but on rewatch it looks like it could be a bump.

Just wondering if anybody heard anything to support that?

I've hadn't heard anything like that, but that kind of speculation is kind of icky. I don't really think she looks pregnant in any of the recent photos I've seen, people are just being presumptuous. (Not you, just the people spreading that kind of thing.)

Oh I love backstage gossip, love.it!  But with this, either she isn't and then it's just people commenting on her weight, and if she is then either it will become obvious even if she doesn't announce it or it doesn't become obvious, and then that might mean sad news.

Grey's is a BEAST. It did a 2.4 and pulled 8.34M total viewers. It easily won the night, with HTGAWM pulling a 1.3 and Notorious doing 1.1 in the demo. I believe it's the 3rd highest-rated drama across all broadcast networks in the demo this week after Empire and This Is Us. It also beat Modern Family (2.3) for the best demo of any show on ABC this week.  

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, BaseOps said:

Grey's is a BEAST. I did a 2.4 and pulled 8.43M total viewers. It easily won the night, with HTGAWM pulling a 1.3 and Notorious doing 1.1 in the demo. I believe it's the 3rd highest-rated drama across all broadcast networks in the demo this week after Empire and This Is Us. It also beat Modern Family (2.3) for the best demo of any show on ABC this week.  

8.34, actually. 

24 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

8.34, actually. 

Whoops, thanks. Fixed. 

It's also worth noting that unless the demo adjusts down, Grey's is up year-to-year in the demo. If it adjusts down to a 2.3, it would still be tied with the second episode of S12. Pretty remarkable. 

Last week the early numbers had a 2.4 then it adjusted to 2.5 in the finals. It could happen again this week, leaving it having virtually no drop off between the premiere and episode 2 (it may be a bit down in total viewers but I don't think they care much about that small difference).  Is there any show so far this season that hasn't had a drop off? I can't even remember Grey's holding the numbers from week 1 to week 2 in any recent season. 

Grey's had a big drop last year between the premiere and the 2nd episode; a 2.8 to a 2.3. The fact that they're still doing anything above a 2.0 is insane, especially without the TGIT promotion and essentially being stuck in a lineup with two shows that are really struggling. Even though it was the first show of the block, I believe the #TGIT hype helped Grey's a lot. It made live-viewing and tweeting feel important to a younger fanbase. It's nice to see it not just standing on its own now, but totally dominating. 

Not counting football, estimated ad prices for top network shows:

Empire 437k -12%

Big Bang 289k -17%

This is Us 272k...surprised it's ahead of Voice, despite the buzz and stability so far.

Modern Family 225k -6%

Voice 214k/203k -11%/-13%

Grey's 193k +23%

Timeless 188k...hmm. Not sure that'll work out for them.

How to Get Away with Murder 178k...-30%. Still seems high given the trend.

Lethal Weapon 172k. Well it has Empire as a crutch.

Chicago Fire 164k.

http://adage.com/article/news/tv-ad-pricing-chart/305899/

• Love 1

Grey's held the 2.4 demo meaning it's up year-to-year (VS 2.3 for the second episode last year) which is virtually unheard of. It was a full rating point higher than any other show on television Thursday night, with several shows doing 1.3 (which, at this rate, is considered a moderate success - so imagine how happy ABC is with with Grey's). It also scored a 2.0 in the 18-34 demo which is incredibly high. When Big Bang Theory returns after NFL it'll probably take a bit of a hit, but at this rate ABC will be trying to sign actors through season 50. 

• Love 1
On 10/1/2016 at 9:06 AM, BaseOps said:

Grey's held the 2.4 demo meaning it's up year-to-year (VS 2.3 for the second episode last year) which is virtually unheard of. It was a full rating point higher than any other show on television Thursday night, with several shows doing 1.3 (which, at this rate, is considered a moderate success - so imagine how happy ABC is with with Grey's). It also scored a 2.0 in the 18-34 demo which is incredibly high. When Big Bang Theory returns after NFL it'll probably take a bit of a hit, but at this rate ABC will be trying to sign actors through season 50. 

Technically NCISLA and Hawaii Five-O were up too. 

Grey's did a 2.3 in the demo last night with 8.31M viewers. It's up year-to-year in the demo again this week (versus a 2.2 for episode 3 last year). Comparatively, a few other shows on the big 4 networks last night: Notorious (1.0), How To Get Away with Murder (1.3), Chicago Medical (1.3), Rosewood (0.9), The Good Place (1.4), The Blacklist (1.2), Pitch (1.0). 

Grey's is also once again ABC's highest-rated show in the demo this week, besting Modern Family (2.2). 

Edited by BaseOps

Interesting blind item on agcwebpages.com...

114. ENTERTAINMENT LAWYER 10/11 **#13**
#1 – This B+ list mostly television actress had an affair with another woman who worked on the same show. Things became awkward and our actress quit.
Show: "Grey’s Anatomy"
Actress: Sara Ramirez (Dr. Callie Torres) (comes out as bisexual) (leaves "Grey’s Anatomy")
Other woman: Kelly McCreary (Dr. Maggie Pierce) or Jerrika Hinton (Dr. Stephanie Edwards)

Edited by Pinecone
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Pinecone said:

Interesting blind item on agcwebpages.com...

114. ENTERTAINMENT LAWYER 10/11 **#13**
#1 – This B+ list mostly television actress had an affair with another woman who worked on the same show. Things became awkward and our actress quit.
Show: "Grey’s Anatomy"
Actress: Sara Ramirez (Dr. Callie Torres) (comes out as bisexual) (leaves "Grey’s Anatomy")
Other woman: Kelly McCreary (Dr. Maggie Pierce) or Jerrika Hinton (Dr. Stephanie Edwards)

Are they serious???

1 hour ago, windsprints said:

This is a good article. CL has a good perspective on her character and Jo' relationships with Meredith and Alex and their relationship with each other. I found it interesting that the actress didn't know her character's backstory until the table read. I don't like it when serial tv shows do this to the actors. I'm sure knowing Jo's secret past would have influenced CL's portrayal of her.

Pending adjustments, Grey's did a 2.1 in the demo meaning it once again leads the night and remains ABC's second-highest rated program after only Modern Family (which did a 2.4 this week). Overall it's the 3rd highest rated drama on broadcast this week behind only Empire and This Is Us. Overall this week, it's top 5 for scripted programs on broadcast: 

1) Empire

2) Big Big Theory 

3) This Is Us

4) Modern Family

5) Grey's Anatomy / Kevin Can Wait 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 1
On 15/10/2016 at 8:13 PM, Chas411 said:

Out of interest what season were the ratings at their lowest or have they ever been less the the highest?

They hit their series-low demo rating during season 11, when an episode hit a 1.9. That's the only time they've gone below a 2.0.

Grey's held steady from last week with another 2.1 in the demo. It continues to lead the night, though next week Big Bang Theory is back so it may take a hit; it will definitely no longer be the top-rated Thursday night show. With no Modern Family on this week, Grey's is ABCs top-rated series. 

On 25 September 2016 at 10:28 PM, Chas411 said:

This is just nosiness on my part but I've seen a few posts on different sites speculating that Camilla may be pregnant. Ellen posted a video on her Instagram in which Camilla looks like she has a small tiny bump. I didn't notice it the first time but on rewatch it looks like it could be a bump.

Just wondering if anybody heard anything to support that?

I was right :) :) well actually a poster on another forum who put the idea in my head was right.

i love that she actually references that video in her post.