Type keyword(s) to search

Grey's Anatomy in the Media: Incident Reporting

• Start Topic

Thanks for bringing that over!  Hallelujah that Jo will finally be doing some good doctoring, and it sounds like it will be with Callie so that makes me very happy.  I really hope that she turns down Alex's proposal, and does it before Meredith gets attacked, but eh, whatever.  I am much more interested the end to her professional floundering and becoming real competition for Stephanie.

Interesting that it was Chandra Wilson who told CL about Jo's backstory while she was directing her, and that it didn't come from the writers at any point before that episode was being shot.  That kind of explains a lot.

• Love 2

i REALLY hope Jo chooses ortho.  I  enjoyed Callie and Jo working together in the past and I think it will be great for both characters to have some hospital focus.  Either way, I'm glad Jo is going to have some professional development this season.  

• Love 2

I always assumed the therapist would just be for Meredith, but now I wonder if maybe it's a grief counselor who is brought in to speak with multiple doctors after Meredith's attack. The official description for episode 10 includes "as the hospital deals with Meredith’s trauma...", so maybe we'll get several short scenes with multiple doctors (Alex, Bailey, Callie, Arizona, Amelia, etc.) discussing the trauma-filled experience that is working at Grey Sloane Memorial. 

For some reason Ellen is not going to be on JKL next Thursday. The same thing happened last year. Odd.

Odd indeed. I think Greys production would adapt her filming schedule so that she can go and film JKL. 

Edited by Meredithfan

Odd indeed. I think Greys production would adapt her filming schedule so that she can go and film JKL. 

I think it's for some personal reason which I find even more odd. Why would she cancel it twice? There must be a reason.

I think it's for some personal reason which I find even more odd. Why would she cancel it twice? There must be a reason.

I don't think she is cancelling.  I would guess she was never confirmed to begin with.  The site where people find out the guests in a ticket/PR site. not owned by ABC (perhaps hired by them, but not owned).  My guess is the site gets early news from the guest/booking departments of the late night/talk shows and publishes it before its confirmed.  Her appearance was never promoted by Kimmel or ABC directly.  

For example, the booking dept of Jimmy Kimmel show knows that Thurs 2/11 is a big episode for the show, so they think "lets get Ellen Pompeo as a guest that night".  But then they reach out to her people and GA but they say "no sorry we can't make it work".  So they take the listing down from the ticket site.    

Remember, we see the show at 11:30ish, but its usually taped in the afternoon.

• Love 1

See the Grey's Anatomy Docs Spring to Action to Save Meredith | E-online

"Usually an episode is covering a day or two at most, we're seeing weeks and months go by, and different stages of her recovery," he said. "So you really get to see a lot of passage of time and the changing of a lot of relationships throughout that time while waiting for Meredith to heal."

So we'll get a huge time jump again. I think it's 2089 by now. Just kidding :P

Weeks and months go by in one episode?

What´s the point?

Why not deal with it like a well-crafted storyline for at least a few episodes of actual healing to make it more powerful?

42 minutes and how many months will go by? Half a year? At one minute she is all bandaged,then another minute in a  wheelchair, another minute she is already walking,how can they even pull it off? 

Edited by Meredithfan

Weeks and months go by in one episode?what´s the point?

Why not deal with it like a storyline for at least a few episodes of actual healing?

Yes. That's what he said. We'll have to wait and see ;)

Hahaha Kagomei.  Way back when we first got news she was going to be attacked I posted that I thought the recovery could be like Callie's car accident. I think that covered 3 or so months so this may be the same - a time jump but not too huge.  I get why they'd do it but I wish they wouldn't for everyone else's story. All the others just get the time glossed over with stories skipped by. Upside: at least there won't be singing. :)

• Love 3

Changing of relationships? So Meredith and Perfect Penny will become best pals. Maybe Meredith is nice to Jo for 5 seconds and we find out Jolex reunite and/or get engaged in another throwaway line.

Meredith's in every scene. Amelia and Meredith seem to still be on the outs. Meredith's fine with everybody else. I'm just not seeing how we're going to be seeing the changing of a lot of relaitonships.

• Love 3

i hope this doesn't come off as offensive to anyone but sometimes i think people take actor's statements too literally (not just on here but all over social media).  "Weeks and months" doesn't necessarily mean an eternity.  It doesn't mean a year, or 6-8 months.  It could be 2-3 months which the show has done many many times most recently Arizona's crash course in fetal surgery with Herman.  As someone said a few days ago (sorry i forgot who), this show has always played fast and loose with the timing/dates.  I could be way off base and it does turn out to be a year or close, but just going by Jason George's statement it could be a relatively short "jump".  

• Love 1

For anyone interested in ratings, I was tired of watching the 10th sneak peak of Meredith in danger so i threw this together...

Here is a comparison of this year versus last year for the C3 ratings (commercial ratings).  These numbers are slightly different from the Live+same day ratings that get reported the following day.  They are much more valuable to the networks and advertisers.  

2015/16 season vs. 2014/15

GREY'S ANATOMY  

Women 18-34: 3.78 vs. 3.67, +3%

Women 18-49: 3.99 vs. 4.06, -2%

Women 25-54:4.54 vs. 4.67, -3%

Adults 18-34: 2.35 vs. 2.32, +1%

Adults 18-49: 2.56 vs. 2.62 -2%

Adults 25-54: 2.97 vs. 3.06 -3%

SCANDAL

Women 18-34: 3.73 vs. 4.72, -21%
Women 18-49: 4.59 vs. 5.42,  -15%
Women 25-54: 5.30 vs.  6.2, -15%
Adults 18-34: 2.48 vs.  3.03, -18%
Adults 18-49: 3.04 vs. 3.55, -14%
Adults 25-54: 3.54 vs. 4.13, -14%

HOW TO GET AWAY W/MURDER

Women 18-34: 3.28 vs. 4.91, -33% 
Women 18-49: 3.98 vs. 5.72, -30%
Women 25-54: 4.66 vs. 6.61, -30%
Adults 18-34: 2.21 vs. 3.31, -33%
Adults 18-49: 2.68 vs. 3.85, -30%
Adults 25-54: 3.17 vs. 4.50, -30%

The stability of Grey's is really amazing considering how much everything falls year to year.  Grey's is also the #2 show with women 18-34 (behind Empire) and #11 among the most common demo, adults 18-49.  HTGAWM gets a big jump from live+ same day to C3 so it hops over GA in terms of ranking.  

Edited by Greysaddict
  • Love 2

i hope this doesn't come off as offensive to anyone but sometimes i think people take actor's statements too literally (not just on here but all over social media).  "Weeks and months" doesn't necessarily mean an eternity.  It doesn't mean a year, or 6-8 months.  It could be 2-3 months which the show has done many many times most recently Arizona's crash course in fetal surgery with Herman.  As someone said a few days ago (sorry i forgot who), this show has always played fast and loose with the timing/dates.  I could be way off base and it does turn out to be a year or close, but just going by Jason George's statement it could be a relatively short "jump".  

I have learned not to trust what the actors say, either because they have no idea what will actually make it to screen or because they are trying their best to put lipstick on a pig (to use a vulgar quote).  But even a month is too long of a time jump, IMO, considering how they left things in the last episode.  And I truly believe that they are doing this to soften the blow for when Meredith starts dating again.  The problem is that this really, really screws nearly every other character. So I am just to accept that Owen, April, Jackson, Amelia, Penny, Callie, Arizona, etc. have just been in a holding pattern this whole time?  And I guess Alex and Jo have been broken up, but Jo's answer to a proposal and Alex's feelings about it are totally unimportant.   All of the longing and angst that, frankly, Jo and Alex need in order to show that Alex really gives a shit about anyone but Meredith, is just non-existent because we have to get Meredith back in the saddle.  Just imagine the uproar if that happened with a big MerDer milestone.  And it sounds like Meredith will swoop in and "fix" whatever is ailing Jo and Alex.  Sorry, but I find that infuriating and insulting and totally diminishes the character growth that both Jo and Alex need.

I swear, I don't hate Meredith, and I know that I am a broken record about this, but it really and truly sucks to be a fan of this show sometimes.  If TPTB want to completely revamp and re-focus the show to solely serve Meredith and the 2-3 people in her orbit (but not really Alex), then they should be honest about it, cut 10 people from the cast (as it is, I think that at the very least SaRa is leaving) and let the rest of us get on with our lives.  Seriously.

ETA - Even if the other characters get their stories told in flashback (which sounds like will be the case for Jackson and April) I still think that it is poor storytelling and unfair to the characters.  Why bother setting up cliffhangers only to then retro-actively tell a story that should have been told forthrightly and fully?

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 4

Why not a 20-year time jump. Richard is still working at the hospital. Owen and Amelia haven't progressed since the time she came over with a bottle of mineral water. Arizona still hasn't dated anyone. 

• Love 3
Why bother setting up cliffhangers only to then retro-actively tell a story that should have been told forthrightly and fully?

This. After episode 9, there are still 15 episodes left of the season. They could have at least extended Meredith's recovery and care for a few episodes and at the same time deal with those cliffhangers in a timely manner. Instead, let's say 3 months is going to go by in this one episode, then we get a regular ol' day at Grey Sloan in episode 10, then 11 is centered around April and Jackson and flashes back and fills the holes in their relationship to where we are now, and after all of this time passes we still won't get info on Owen and Nathan's beef until episode 14. To progress some characters' stories but not the others really makes no sense and is actually quite lazy and sloppy storytelling.

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 4

Thanks for doing these ratings updates Greysaddict.  I always find this sort of information fascinating. As it started so much higher, I'm sure Grey's has had double-digit drops in its ratings percentages earlier in its run, but it is rather extraordinary that it has found its "core", if you will, over the last couple of years and isn't budging much from that. 

Seeing these numbers and rankings allows me to chuckle when folks ask "how is this show still on" or some variation thereof.

Again, I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. 

Edited by pennben
  • Love 3

Thank you, Greysaddict. I think its astounding how stable Grey's has been for the past few seasons give how tumultuous network tv has been. Even more, they've managed to add some new, younger viewers in season 12. 

I'm curious to see the ratings for Thursday night. The promos for it have been shown constantly for week now. From what I've seen Grey's has been getting more promos than either Scandal or HTGAWM. For me, its almost too much. The impact has been lessened so much from seeing her get shoved into the glass 200x (at least it feels like 200x). Given the amount of promos I'm kind of surprised the cast hasn't been out promoting it.

Seeing these numbers and rankings allows me to chuckle when folks ask "how is this show still on" or some variation thereof.

Agree.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 2

It was actually interesting during Christmas break, Grey's was trending out of the blue on twitter. People were binge watching it on Netflix and tweeting up a storm about it, and talking about being caught up on it so they can watch live with friends now.

• Love 4

video of Jason George, Martin Henderson and Giacomo Gianniotti from aTVfest.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/greys-anatomy-preview-denzel-washington-watch-1201702838/

i wish you could tag people on here...meredithfan i think you were looking for this.

Jason George talks a little about how being on the show is more than just a paycheck.  I know we've talked about why actors stay on the show when they barely get to do anything, but it seems like they really enjoy the work.  

Edited by Greysaddict
  • Love 1

I can't wait for tomorrow basically to get this episode over with already.  

This! I feel like once this episode is over, the rest of the season will really start. The hype and the spin and the saying the same thing five different ways has become exhausting. 

• Love 3

Ellen Pompeo on Grey's Anatomy Twists, Shipping Meredith and Alex, and Ageism in Hollywood

this is actually a pretty good interview.  I'm going to bring some it over to the spoiler thread to keep it out here.

She really doesn't want to talk about Patrick, which I totally get since she has been torn apart for everything little thing she says.  I disagree with Ellen though, in that people really did question whether the show would go on without Sandra Oh.  But I do understand her point.  

Edited by Greysaddict
  • Love 2

Ellen Pompeo on Grey's Anatomy Twists, Shipping Meredith and Alex, and Ageism in Hollywood

this is actually a pretty good interview. I'm going to bring some it over to the spoiler thread to keep it out here.

She really doesn't want to talk about Patrick, which I totally get since she has been torn apart for everything little thing she says. I disagree with Ellen though, in that people really did question whether the show would go on without Sandra Oh. But I do understand her point.

I think she meant more in the media. Because, from what I remember, there was a bit of a "well, now Meredith will finally pay attention to Derek with Yang gone" kind of mentality. With Derek and Yang gone, it was "OH, NO! What ever will Meredith do now? Her life is over!" mentality.

I don't know if I'm explaining that well.

• Love 3

this is actually a pretty good interview.  I'm going to bring some it over to the spoiler thread to keep it out here.

Thanks for sharing! That's a great, honest interview. I love that Ellen accepts the challenges that come along with working in TV and also embraces how lucky she is to play the part she plays. It makes me happy to see all that Grey's has achieved and all that Ellen has achieved over the years. I'm excited for tonight's episode in a big way because I'm glad that she and the cast had the opportunity to work with Denzel. It's true that, especially in the past, work on a TV show was often put down. A lot of that stigma is gone now and Grey's has stood through the changes and been a part of that process. Her honesty is really refreshing. I especially loved this bit: 

"You have to suspend your disbelief to be able to watch TV and act in TV. Now that Meredith has kids … we don't see the kids! I do scenes all the time with the sisters in the house. And it's like, where are my kids? I don't get up in the morning and make myself a coffee and sit and kibbutz at my kitchen table. I get up, I start the French toast, I've got the smoothies going, this one's gotta get dressed. You say to the writers, "Shouldn't Meredith be getting her kids ready in the morning?" It's a little challenging just for my mama bear gut-level instinct." 

• Love 4

video of Jason George, Martin Henderson and Giacomo Gianniotti from aTVfest.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/greys-anatomy-preview-denzel-washington-watch-1201702838/

i wish you could tag people on here...meredithfan i think you were looking for this.

Jason George talks a little about how being on the show is more than just a paycheck.  I know we've talked about why actors stay on the show when they barely get to do anything, but it seems like they really enjoy the work.  

Thanks a lot Greysaddict.

I love that even Ellen was confused about the lack of kids this season. When even the actors are confused, not just the fans, you know the writers are dropping the ball on something. I really wanted to see Meredith be a mom this season and I'm hoping her comments make Shonda realize it's really unrealistic to have the kids be completely MIA.

• Love 3

I used to write the kids thing off as the show not wanting to deal with labor laws, but not even mentioning them or seeing them in obvious situations is a bit much.

I guess it was easier when they were babies and they could just be held in a scene, but now they're at talking age and would take up more screentime. They have a hard enough time divying up screentime as is.

wow GA blew Scandal out of the water.  

GA- 2.4, down 0.1 (-4%) from the Fall Finale, down -14% from the very high (2.8) mid-season premiere last year

Scandal- 2.1, down 13% from fall finale (2.4) and 42% (whoa) down from last year's mid season premiere (3.6)

HTGAWM- 1.8 down 22% from fall finale  (2.3) and 42% ( down from last year's mid season premiere (3.1)

Edited by Greysaddict
  • Love 4

wow GA blew Scandal out of the water.  

GA- 2.4, down 0.1 (-4%) from the Fall Finale, down -14% from the very high (2.8) mid-season premiere last year

Scandal- 2.1, down 13% from fall finale (2.4) and 42% (whoa) down from last year's mid season premiere (3.6)

HTGAWM- 1.8 down 22% from fall finale  (2.3) and 42% ( down from last year's mid season premiere (3.1)

It should be noted that year-to-year, Grey's is up 7% (compared to the February 12, 2015 episode rather than the premiere which was 2 weeks earlier last year.) I think the extended break hurt TGIT quite a bit. 

this is most likely due to Big Bang Theory being on 8-30p, but still great nevertheless!

Yup, TBBT is still an absolute monster. 

• Love 1

WOW. So, it's not just me that thinks that Scandal has become unwatchable. 

And I really tried with HTGAWM. It's just that after 2 hours of Shondaland, I can't devote the attention to that show that you HAVE to have, to understand what the fuck is going on. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars