Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Dead Air

Liv and Clive work together to solve the murder of a morning radio talk show host who specialized in relationship straight talk. Liv becomes filled to the brim with insight after consuming the brains, making Clive extremely uncomfortable when Liv starts getting personal. Meanwhile, Peyton steps in to help Major, and Blaine issues a warning. Lastly, Ravi’s unexpected romantic connection has the potential to make things awkward for Liv.

Promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIjkMaxC-n0

Ravi’s unexpected romantic connection has the potential to make things awkward for Liv.

Ravi hooks up with Peyton? So he's living with Liv's ex and dating her roomie? Awkward, indeed.

• Love 2
(edited)

"The Lannister's send their regards" 

Awesome! 

As was Liv's evil laugh. She can be the mother of zombie rats. Hope she names the rat Ramsey Snow. 

I'm mad that I can't watch this ep tonight. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 7

Anyone notice Liv slipping into her native English accent with ease? That was cool, as was the Red Wedding reference. As uninteresting as most of the tertiary characters are, I could watch Liv and Ravi all day. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Almost unwatchable.  Scenes between Liv and Lowell are laughable and it is hard not to be disillusioned when the show runner almost seems to be mocking viewers.  Liv is a charismatic character but the romance with Lowell is the ultimate what does it matter if he is bland if he is cute love interest.  What a lack of faith in viewers.  Meanwhile somehow Ravi has failed to show any interest in Liv but immediately falls for Peyton.  Why?  Well see Peyton is a recurring character who is barely on the show so the possibility of screentime for an interracial romance can be minimized as much as possible.  We get a series of sequences where we are supposed to feel bad for male characters by showing women supposedly acting mean to them.   Poor Major and later poor Ravi.  When lets be real here.  Any person coming home to a boyfriend keeping secrets and battered in the face should send off alarms.  And Ravi sure is entitled acting as if it is Liv's job to focus on his desire for he roommate. 

What a frustrating show. 

Edited by dohe

No zombifying Ravi, show.  Get away from there.

Mystery was frustrating since the solution and the red herring were both relatively obvious by the first act break after the credits.

Major spiraling is actually a relatively interesting arc for him, even though I'm not a huge fan of the character.

Show is still charming but I think the master plot is being handled more interestingly than the mysteries of the week, which is a little concerning.

• Love 2

Somehow Ravi has failed to show any interest in Liv but immediately falls for Peyton. Why? Well see Peyton is a recurring character who is barely on the show so the possibility of screentime for an interracial romance can be minimized as much as possible.

Liv only dates zombies. If the zombie trigger crosses species (a big "if"), then Ravi might have a chance with Liv.

• Love 4
(edited)

Lowell isn't neccessarily bad.  He's just a wealthy guy who's paying for his brains from Blaine.   It doesn't mean that he knows how Blaine got them.  Yes, it's a sketchy business, but Blaine comes from a sketchy world, so it stands to reason that his sources would be criminals and that's likely the story that Blaine sells to his customers.  As Liv said in the preview, her boyfriend is on Blaine's "meal plan.

I disagree.  Lowell lied about where his food came from.  He gets visions of the people he eats and must have an inkling of how his dinner died.  Blaine has plans for Liv.  Its not a stretch to assume that Blaine put Lowell in Liv's orbit rather than happenstance or took advantage after he found out about it.  Lowell could have said his source couldn't get him brains any longer and asked Liv to help.  He didn't.  I doubt Blaine lets his customers get an alternate food source.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 6

Come on, Ravi. When you're handling a zombie rat, you KEEP YOUR MIND ON THE ZOMBIE RAT and don't ask out chicks at the same time.  I'll be surprised if they go the zombie route with Ravi. I do enjoy the chemistry he has with Liv (although I think she has chemistry with all the guys on the show so far, save Babineaux).  

So what is Liv really like? Every week we get her on a different brain, and I'm not sure who the character really is.  I figure someone else will be let in on her zombie secret by season's end ... I'm guessing Major, but could be Peyton.

• Love 1

Meanwhile somehow Ravi has failed to show any interest in Liv but immediately falls for Peyton.  Why?  

Because Liv is a zombie who could easily accidentally turn him into a zombie during sex. Ravi does not want to be a zombie, as we saw tonight when the zombie rat bit him and he freaked the hell out.

• Love 11

I hope Clive's boss ( the Chief of Detectives?) decides to sound Liv out.

Blaine was smart to make it seem like he has all sorts of contingencies, when it's just spinning plates. If any two of his unhappy campers talk to each other, it's tended to not be good for them. Isolation has worked for Blaine so far, but he's pushing the wrong guy and in the wrong way. Especially now that Suzuki knows about Liv. Suzuki could make a trip to the morgue and be able to cover it. I hope Suzuki is an ally; I am tired of all the "bad" zombies.

Lowell is appropriately gray.  I'm okay with that for now.

Still processing the episode. Not too enthused with it, but I watched the whole thing.

• Love 3

There was a notable close-up on the syringe while Ravi was injecting the rat with some substance before it bit him. I don't think Ravi will turn. Instead, I think he's discovered a vaccine against zombie-ism.

• Love 2

As someone who used to work in this department, I feel like someone needs to sit the hair designer down and explain how a wig can only take so many styles and cleans before it looks like you put it in the clothes dryer on high heat. I mean, it's understood that McIver's hair is not real. But I think maybe a backup wig would have been a good call?

• Love 11
(edited)

No zombifying Ravi, show. Get away from there...

Yes! Stop it!

Liv only dates zombies. If the zombie trigger crosses species (a big "if"), then Ravi might have a chance with Liv.

Well, maybe okay then...

There was a notable close-up on the syringe while Ravi was injecting the rat with some substance before it bit him. I don't think Ravi will turn. Instead, I think he's discovered a vaccine against zombie-ism.

Or maybe just against rat zombism. Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
(edited)

Oh, shit!  Rat Zombie got a piece of Ravi!  That's not good!  We'll see if it does anything though.  I don't think they'll turn him into a zombie (yet?), so I'm guessing either whatever he injected it will be a cure, or the virus doesn't cross between species.  Either way, bad for Ravi.  I get you were excited over Peyton saying yes, but maybe put down the zombie rat you created, before chatting up the hot lawyer.

Not surprised that Lowell is involved with Blaine somehow.  I always figured it would be too good to be true.  I guess the question is if he knows what Blaine has been doing, or if he just thinks Blaine is getting them through non-murdering means.  But Lowell did claim that he was getting them through a funeral home, so was that a lie?  Plus, does he get visions too?  Because, if he did, I would like to think he would have saw Blaine at some point in those visions.  I'm sure we'll find out soon.

Had the "friend" pegged early on, so the case wasn't surprising.  I did find it interesting that the brain not only had the typical humorous moments, but ended up actually hurting Liv's relationship with Ravi for a bit.

A Game of Thrones and 30 Rock reference in the same episode.  Not bad, show.

Great, Major's buying guns now.  Can't see anything good coming out of that.  Since this is television, I'm sure Liv's dishonesty over the Candyman/Blaine/the brain Major found, will come back to bite everyone in the ass.

What is Blaine's plan for Liv?  I don't think they've even interacted again since episode two or three, so that should be interesting.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 3

As someone who used to work in this department, I feel like someone needs to sit the hair designer down and explain how a wig can only take so many styles and cleans before it looks like you put it in the clothes dryer on high heat. I mean, it's understood that McIver's hair is not real. But I think maybe a backup wig would have been a good call?

I would be happy if they just had one wig that actually looked like hair. That has to be the worst wig I have ever seen, to the point where I don't understand how the other characters don't say something about her hair. Nobody could walk around with hair that looked like that without everyone who saw them commenting on it.

• Love 3

That has to be the worst wig I have ever seen, to the point where I don't understand how the other characters don't say something about her hair. Nobody could walk around with hair that looked like that without everyone who saw them commenting on it.

I guess you haven't watched The Blacklist!

• Love 8

No I haven't, but I find it hard to believe there could actually be anything worse that Liv's.

(edited)

And Ravi sure is entitled acting as if it is Liv's job to focus on his desire for he roommate.

Liv has used Ravi as a sounding board for her love life plenty. So turnabout is fair play.

Anyway, as usual the case of the week was meh but the serialized part of the show is improving. Blaine is getting too cocky for his own good, I think. Not really a great idea to be threatening the police captain.

I want to give Lowell the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps he only recently found Blaine as a supplier.

Do not want Ravi to be zombified! Don't do this to me, show!

Major on the other hand. His spiral continues. He didn't even seem to care that he'd lost his job. My guess is zombification or death for him.

Veronica Mars shoutout! The shot of the ceiling fan!

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 2
(edited)

Well, the original vaccine was the discovery that cow-pox made you immune to small-pox, so, yes, he might have just made himself immune. Not.. a lot of safe ways to test that, of course.. 

Little details that I loved. Liv was right that Peyton didn't even notice Ravi's "moment". 

Peyton bailing Major via the power of bureaucracy-fu. All things Peyton, full stop, in fact. I just really like Peyton. 

Liv going "Ohh, cute zombie rat" That was hilarious. Darkly so in hindsight once it bit Ravi, but still. 

Edited by Izeinwinter
  • Love 4
(edited)
He gets visions of the people he eats and must have an inkling of how his dinner died.

We have seen Liv get visions but not all of them are the moment of death, so it's possible that Lowell isn't seeing how all of these people died when he eats their brains. I'm not denying that it looks shady for him to lie about his source of brains, but it's also possible that he isn't being as shady as it seems. When/where did Lowell say he was zombified? If it was before he moved to Seattle, I could see him initially going to the mortician and then later Blaine offering his services.

While I understand that Liv was trying to protect Ravi from getting dumped/hurt/being just another guy to Peyton, she was a little too blunt about him not being good enough. But I loved that Ravi's counter was to point out that he's a tall doctor with fantastic hair and a British accent. Ha!

Similarly, I understand that Liv is trying to protect Major by steering him away from all the zombie stuff, but the poor guy just needed someone to believe him and not look at him like he's crazy.

I like that Liv gave us some insight into her relationship with Major. A breakup is always much harder when you are actually best friends with someone because it means you lose both your boyfriend and your best friend, not just the sex partner who takes you out to dinner. Even though some of her relationship advice/psychoanalysis was annoying, I liked that she began to question what her relationship with Lowell was based on. I was not at all surprised that Lowell said friendship can come in the second year but now is for boning. I was hoping that Liv would say the night they spent just talking and dancing was a good start and that they should do that more often so that there is more to their relationship than zombie sex.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5

We have seen Liv get visions but not all of them are the moment of death, so it's possible that Lowell isn't seeing how all of these people died when he eats their brains.

It seems a little odd for Liv to be up on her high horse about "where she gets her brains". She has the luxury of getting them via a legitimate way because she is a doctor and an ME but for other zombies - she has shown a shocking lack of concern about what they might be doing. At first, before she knew Lowell and Blaine I could see her not thinking there were others but, she should have started thinking about such things once meeting Lowell and once Major started talking about people walking around with brains.  Not to mention that she knows that Zombieism can be started via a drug so it isn't a leap to think that more and more are being created every day. Couple that with bodies going missing in large amounts. Sometimes I don't even feel Blaine is doing anything too bad. He and the rest of the zombies who don't get a free lunch every day have very little choice. Either kill people discretely OR turn into crazy zombie and kill them scary.  The first episode I thought Liv had a nerve denying Blaine her brains.... what choice are you leaving him then? Kind of seemed that she just didn't want him to get her great source of brains and wanted to live in denial land that there are a lot of easy places to get brains. bitch, get a clue indeed.

I did not like how rude she was to Ravi. He is not exactly unattractive. Maybe it was supposed to be her brain influence but I didn't have to like it. 

I am starting to really like Major and I suppose I would like it if he found out and became a member of the zombie crew. I think she should tell him now that he has seen enough to believe her.

• Love 2

Oof, poor Major. I really didn't think (at the start of the season) I would ever care about him. But he is spiralling hard. I hope Liv brings him into the loop soon, if he finds out through his own investigating I think that might irreparably hurt his relationships with both Liv and Ravi.

Who would have thought that the talk show host brain would make Liv more obnoxious than the internet troll brain. 

Since this is television, I'm sure Liv's dishonesty over the Candyman/Blaine/the brain Major found, will come back to bite everyone in the ass.

Hey, I see what you did there!

• Love 1
(edited)

This was a weird ep. Very little focus on the whodunnit - the relationships were in the spot-light. I guess I don't mind, but the formula felt off.

There is also another thought I've had during the show - it sure doesn't feel like a 13 episode season, more like a traditional 22-episode. Things are developing pretty slowly. Maybe RT is banking on a renewal and doesn't want to use up all ideas in season one. I just hope he's right, because normally, I'd expect much more plot progression by this point.

I'm intrigued the Blaine/Lowell connection, whatever is the reason. I somewhat like Lowell and he really should be connected to the main plot more.

Still not enough Blaine. Show, why do you cast David Anders and give him scraps of screen time? Major, however, gets way too much. I'm still bored by his mopey ass.

I wanted for Peyton to turn Ravi down, even if Liv sticking up for him was a cute moment. I don't think he'll become a zombie, anyway.

Meanwhile somehow Ravi has failed to show any interest in Liv but immediately falls for Peyton.

Why do people have different tastes? For instance, I don't find Clive attractive at all, and I'm sure there are women (and men) who do. Peyton is actually more conventionally attractive than Liv, plus Liv has a rather weird attitude (they've only met after she became a zombie and started to reevaluate her life), and now he also knows she's a zombie. He just doesn't view her in that way, it happens. Do you no have any friends of your preferred gender that you simply do not find attractive or desirable? 

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 5
We get a series of sequences where we are supposed to feel bad for male characters by showing women supposedly acting mean to them.   Poor Major and later poor Ravi. 

Actually, we saw Peyton using her ADA-fu and freed Major, while hilariously pointing out that she had just heard an offer of forging documents. Peyton also agreed to go out with Ravi. How does this dovetail with women acting mean?  If by "women", you mean Liv, then just say Liv.  If you mean the dead woman, well, that was part of her story- she was an awful woman who tried to pass off her ambition and cruelty as just being honest.

When lets be real here.  Any person coming home to a boyfriend keeping secrets and battered in the face should send off alarms. 

The woman had seen Major spiraling. She seemed to just want handsome male appendage, at least that's what I took her "I didn't sign up for this" to mean. It should set off alarms, I think it did, and non-Liv ran for the hills instead of trying to help Major either find peace or actual justice. Not saying NotLiv is evil, but she just wanted sexytimes. It was a contrast to Liv , I am thinking.

And Ravi sure is entitled acting as if it is Liv's job to focus on his desire for he roommate.

Racj82 already covered this.

I also can't believe that Sasha was the same woman that played Jo Lupo on Eureka!

I am having a slight disagreement with the show. Would Major really be fired after one trip to jail?  Do his bosses understand he was trying to help figure out how to protect their charges/clients?  I get not keeping Major around the kids, bad precedent cakes, but there was no office where he didn't have to  interact as often with the kids? At least until he healed some or refused to be reasonable about their requests?

did not like how rude she was to Ravi. He is not exactly unattractive. Maybe it was supposed to be her brain influence but I didn't have to like it.

I am starting to really like Major and I suppose I would like it if he found out and became a member of the zombie crew. I think she should tell him now that he has seen enough to believe her.

ITA.

• Love 2
[Lowell] gets visions of the people he eats and must have an inkling of how his dinner died.

Do we know if other zombies get visions? We know they take on the characteristics of the person, but that's not the same thing as having visions.

Hee. That wig was epically bad. Hall of Infamy bad.

Blaine is getting too cocky for his own good, I think. Not really a great idea to be threatening the police captain.

After that exchange, I wondered by the captain didn't kill Blaine. I know it won't happen because David Anders is on contract, but I'll be really disappointed if someone doesn't push back. He's not that powerful.

Giving the case of the week short shrift so they could put in all the continuing story line stuff was not a good idea. The only part that was well executed so far is Major's story. Unfortunately the format of the show is it's all about Liv and Liv is irrelevant to Major's story. She told him and he understood she has no interest in his investigation. As for Ravi being so in lust that he couldn't even keep his mind on a zombie rat? I don't think Peyton is that compelling, even if you try to handwave it with announcements about liking to earn love from a parent or whatever. 

After that exchange, I wondered by the captain didn't kill Blaine. I know it won't happen because David Anders is on contract, but I'll be really disappointed if someone doesn't push back. He's not that powerful.

I don't think it's about physical power. He has connections that are still useful for the captain, I suppose, but the minute someone else decides to do the same, Blaine's toast, because he really has been a dick to everyone, nobody would tolerate that if given a choice.

The only part that was well executed so far is Major's story.

Can't agree simply on the basis that Major is such a boring character. It could have been much better if he had more personality. They could have done something like Karen's investigation on Daredevil (well, I guess they are doing it, but I just liked Karen's so much better).

• Love 1
(edited)

I get the impression that Liv was trying to discourage Ravi from trying his luck with Peyton at least in part because Peyton has exactly one enduring relationship - with Liv - and goes through boytoys like a titanium buzz-saw. Note that Liv was not wrong that Ravi's "moment" had just not registered with Peyton at all. That said, I am wondering a bit how Ravi is single in the first place. he's attractive, a doctor, and very easy to like. CDC work not conductive to an actual relationship or what?

Edited by Izeinwinter
  • Love 4
(edited)

I get the impression that Liv was trying to discourage Ravi from trying his luck with Peyton at least in part because Peyton has exactly one enduring relationship - with Liv - and goes through boytoys like a titanium buzz-saw. Note that Liv was not wrong that Ravi's "moment" had just not registered with Peyton at all. 

I wondered about that myself, because it has to be terrifying to Liv to consider the fallout from her boss / friend / source of brains / holder of secrets / only shot at a cure breaking up bad with her best friend and roommate, although obviously in her right mind she wasn't enough of an asshole to block it. That said, if Peyton knew who Ravi was at the jail, I didn't see it. It seems odd that she did later on.

Edited by Julia

I get the impression that Liv was trying to discourage Ravi from trying his luck with Peyton at least in part because Peyton has exactly one enduring relationship - with Liv - and goes through boytoys like a titanium buzz-saw. Note that Liv was not wrong that Ravi's "moment" had just not registered with Peyton at all. That said, I am wondering a bit how Ravi is single in the first place. he's attractive, a doctor, and very easy to like. CDC work not conductive to an actual relationship or what?

It's easy for a guy to be single if he never approaches anybody. I'm sure he buries himself in his work and doesn't bother trying to date. I know from experience.

(edited)
I don't think it's about physical power. He has connections that are still useful for the captain, I suppose, but the minute someone else decides to do the same, Blaine's toast, because he really has been a dick to everyone, nobody would tolerate that if given a choice.

I didn't mean physical power. Now that the captain is realizing there are more zombies around—hey! there's even one connected to his office!—I wonder how long he and other zombies will allow Blaine to continue his dominance. 

It's easy for a guy to be single if he never approaches anybody.

I think Ravi has approached women in the past, but obviously nothing has lasted. 

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1
(edited)

I get the impression that Liv was trying to discourage Ravi from trying his luck with Peyton at least in part because Peyton has exactly one enduring relationship—with Liv—and goes through boytoys like a titanium buzz-saw.

The Entertainment Weekly recap says something similar:

Ravi, my favorite character by far, is getting a life of his own, which is a good thing because the cliché of a morgue Doc only dealing with dead people (even metaphorically) was getting a bit tired.

He pushes Liv for the 411 on Peyton. It’s hard to tell if Liv’s protecting him or already under the influence of the honesty serum brain cocktail, but she tries to shut it down before distracting him with a callback to last week’s rat experiment.

Edited by editorgrrl

I think Ravi has approached women in the past, but obviously nothing has lasted.

I think Ravi is a bit conservative and is attracted to women who are likely to be put off by his job. He doesn't have that problem with Peyton since she's accustomed to Liv doing the same kind of work.

I recognized Erica Cerra's voice before I placed her.  As for the romances, Clive's actor does not have good looks (IMO), and I find him rather fugly.  His voice is not deep and musical (ala Alan Rickman) and he is not a great actor, so I believe that Clive was totally miscast.  Ravi on the other hand, is charming and not my idea of great looking either, but the voice and his fun character make him the most watchable male on the show.  I was hoping we would find out that Ravi is gay, however, so I was disappointed that he was crushing on Peyton.  Liv should have just stayed out of his crush on her roommate, but the brain was making her extra nosey.

I think Ravi is a bit conservative and is attracted to women who are likely to be put off by his job. He doesn't have that problem with Peyton since she's accustomed to Liv doing the same kind of work.

If Ravi's taste runs to women like Peyton who like high-status men, any relationship he was in probably would have hit the skids when his career was derailed at the CDC.

I think Clive has a great face. It's not Ken-pretty, but there's so much of that on TV...

• Love 5