Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Dead Air

(edited)

Well, the original vaccine was the discovery that cow-pox made you immune to small-pox, so, yes, he might have just made himself immune...

I hope so! But if there's now a viable vaccine, that will complicate the stories going forward.

I recognized Erica Cerra's voice before I placed her.  As for the romances, Clive's actor does not have good looks (IMO), and I find him rather fugly.  His voice is not deep and musical (ala Alan Rickman) and he is not a great actor, so I believe that Clive was totally miscast.  Ravi on the other hand, is charming and not my idea of great looking either, but the voice and his fun character make him the most watchable male on the show...

For me, Clive is the attractive one and Ravi is just barely okay. Mileage varies.

I missed Erica Cerra, but as I recall, her voice is a lot like Clive's (Malcom Goodwin). Did they have a conversation?

Edited by shapeshifter

Actually, coming up with a vaccine for zombism could be interesting.  First of all, how would one test the vaccine?  Would it work if given within 12 hours of being bitten or scratched by a zombie, or does it have to be given beforehand?  How long would it take to build up immunity?  Because the show is operating on the premise that zombies have to operate under the radar, Ravi can't use government resources.  It's all hit and miss.

At this point we don't even know if the rat bite will turn Ravi, it could be that the rat zombi could only turn other rats, if they could escape before zombi rat killed them.  It opens up a whole can of worms that couldn't be satisfactorily explored because we're still learning about zombism in humans.  The best thing for now would be for Ravi to kill the rat, take samples, and work more slowly in secret.  And keep any new zombi rats in glass cages with tight fitting lids!

As for Blaine, I'm already over him.  Either kill him or take him prisoner to study and kill his minions.  Keep the zombies that will cooperate alive as long as they follow the rules of not killing for brains, not trying to turn others, not telling anyone about their condition, and show up for blood tests and interviews with Ravi as directed.  Any deviance from that and they get thrown in the pit where Liv's friend languished for months.  Throw in a molotov cocktail and it's done.  The coroners office can keep the few zombies left supplied with brains.

On another note, Liv said that zombi brains aren't good eating.  Wonder if she knows that for a fact or is just speculating.

I think I should check in on the Speculation thread at this point.

• Love 1

Can't agree simply on the basis that Major is such a boring character. It could have been much better if he had more personality. They could have done something like Karen's investigation on Daredevil (well, I guess they are doing it, but I just liked Karen's so much better).

But I think character is what you do, and what Major does isn't boring. Certainly he's all the action on the Blaine front. Karen was one of the more passable aspects to Daredevil but I'm one of the people who don't think much of it overall. In particular, finding the mother was one thing but having something like that just fall from her lips? The script was casting pearls before swine in my opinion. 

I get the impression that Liv was trying to discourage Ravi from trying his luck with Peyton at least in part because Peyton has exactly one enduring relationship - with Liv - and goes through boytoys like a titanium buzz-saw. Note that Liv was not wrong that Ravi's "moment" had just not registered with Peyton at all. That said, I am wondering a bit how Ravi is single in the first place. he's attractive, a doctor, and very easy to like. CDC work not conductive to an actual relationship or what?

An excellent question! I think Ravi has been written with very amusing dialogue, in a pretty consistent voice. But I don't think that's the same thing as being a well rounded character. The guy was allegedly fired from the CDC for babbling about zombies, but when he gets proof he can't open his mouth? He knows how perilous they are but has no interest in what happens outside the morgue, as if he doesn't care about anything but being sure he's the one to find a cure? What Ravi does is major league mad scientist but he's written in the voice of a genial eccentric (who turns out to be so horny he can't concentrate on his work.) If he's really into dating I think he would have noticed more women than Peyton by now. She's just not that awesome. Laying down the law to get Major out is one thing, but decreeing five minutes instead of fifteen is something else. Who really gets attracted by that?

(edited)

I thought the episode was ok but I find Liv kind of annoying/overbearing sometimes.  I also think she's a terrible friend to everyone and everyone felt the brunt of that in this episode beginning and ending with Major.

I feel badly for Major in every episode.  He arguably lost the love of his life at the beginning of the series and has never found out the reason why.  She doesn't want him dating other people but its more than ok for her to date someone else.  I wish there was more anger from him but I feel like he is a still waters run deep kind of guy which may be why he seems boring to other viewers.  

It don't think well of Liv when she blew off his call or when she blew off his zombie concerns at the end of the episode.  If he was your best friend, be his friend when he clearly needs it the most.  

I'm glad that Ravi put her in her place in this episode.  I couldn't tell if that was Liv or the radio host most of the time.  Usually they mention it throughout the episode when she is being affected by the brain she ate.

I don't like Lowell and that's mostly because his relationship with Liv is pretty shallow.  He's also clearly a liar.  I think it would be weird if Liv is the only one who got visions from the brains she eats so he must know that innocent people are being killed so that he can eat.  

Edited by blugirlami21
  • Love 2

But I think character is what you do, and what Major does isn't boring. Certainly he's all the action on the Blaine front. Karen was one of the more passable aspects to Daredevil but I'm one of the people who don't think much of it overall. In particular, finding the mother was one thing but having something like that just fall from her lips? The script was casting pearls before swine in my opinion. 

An excellent question! I think Ravi has been written with very amusing dialogue, in a pretty consistent voice. But I don't think that's the same thing as being a well rounded character. The guy was allegedly fired from the CDC for babbling about zombies, but when he gets proof he can't open his mouth? He knows how perilous they are but has no interest in what happens outside the morgue, as if he doesn't care about anything but being sure he's the one to find a cure? What Ravi does is major league mad scientist but he's written in the voice of a genial eccentric (who turns out to be so horny he can't concentrate on his work.) If he's really into dating I think he would have noticed more women than Peyton by now. She's just not that awesome. Laying down the law to get Major out is one thing, but decreeing five minutes instead of fifteen is something else. Who really gets attracted by that?

It's probably best if he can prove zombism exists and he that he's developed a cure. Plus I think the whole zombie thing is a lot more personal for him at his point because of Love. Clearing his name is one of the last thing on his mind.

I didn't mean physical power. Now that the captain is realizing there are more zombies around—hey! there's even one connected to his office!—I wonder how long he and other zombies will allow Blaine to continue his dominance. 

I think Ravi has approached women in the past, but obviously nothing has lasted. 

I wasn't talking about his whole life. I was talking about right now. I have a feeling he hasn't even bothered to date after he got stuck in the morgue and he sure hasn't on the show up until now. I'm talking about why he's single right now.

Meanwhile somehow Ravi has failed to show any interest in Liv but immediately falls for Peyton.

First, people have different tastes in women.  Second, Liv works for Ravi, in the Medical Examiner's office no less, which means that they already spend a lot of time together cutting up dead bodies: not exactly conducive to romance.  Third: Peyton doesn't have the complexion of a corpse.  And fourth, Ravi hasn't watched Peyton consume human brains!  That's not a "she has too much garlic breath" kind of turnoff, it's a "she consumes human tissue like a cannibal" kind of turnoff.

• Love 8

First, people have different tastes in women.  Second, Liv works for Ravi, in the Medical Examiner's office no less, which means that they already spend a lot of time together cutting up dead bodies: not exactly conducive to romance.  Third: Peyton doesn't have the complexion of a corpse.  And fourth, Ravi hasn't watched Peyton consume human brains!  That's not a "she has too much garlic breath" kind of turnoff, it's a "she consumes human tissue like a cannibal" kind of turnoff.

Fifth: Ravi could be a speciesist.

• Love 2

So disappointed Lowell gets his brains from Sark!Zombie. :(

I thought Liv's makeup looked lovely this eppy. Although I agree with others about the wig, it looked so fake...

Hey, they've made Peyton interesting by association! (Ravi) I like this development :)

It's weird, Major sounds interesting and compelling, but he's just... not. 

I thought the episode was ok but I find Liv kind of annoying/overbearing sometimes.  I also think she's a terrible friend to everyone and everyone felt the brunt of that in this episode beginning and ending with Major.

I feel badly for Major in every episode.  He arguably lost the love of his life at the beginning of the series and has never found out the reason why.  She doesn't want him dating other people but its more than ok for her to date someone else.  I wish there was more anger from him but I feel like he is a still waters run deep kind of guy which may be why he seems boring to other viewers.  

It don't think well of Liv when she blew off his call or when she blew off his zombie concerns at the end of the episode.  If he was your best friend, be his friend when he clearly needs it the most.  

I'm glad that Ravi put her in her place in this episode.  I couldn't tell if that was Liv or the radio host most of the time.  Usually they mention it throughout the episode when she is being affected by the brain she ate.

I don't like Lowell and that's mostly because his relationship with Liv is pretty shallow.  He's also clearly a liar.  I think it would be weird if Liv is the only one who got visions from the brains she eats so he must know that innocent people are being killed so that he can eat.  

Agreed.  I’m sick of hearing posters bitch about how Major bores them.  It seems to be mainly women who are whining about his character.  I guess their definition of boring must be a guy who is a handsome, muscular, clean cut, compassionate, romantic, educated, and employed.  I’m sure most would agree that Major has the aforementioned traits, yet posters still call him boring.  You’d think any respectable woman would want a man with Major’s characteristics.  Hell, he landed your girl Liv didn’t he?  The only reason they split up was because she died—not because he bored her. 

Based on posts I have read, it seems that if a man is to be considered “non-boring”, he has to be a narcissist, a liar, a criminal, a drug dealer, a kidnapper, or a murderer.  These are all evil traits, yet female posters lust for miscreants like Blaine, Carson McCombs (Ryan Hansen aka Dick Casablancas), and Lowell (we’re learning he isn’t the sweet guy he’s pretending to be).   

These days some women have a sick taste in men.  But hey! Good fiction is based on reality.  Rob Thomas nailed this phenomenon in Veronica Mars and has done it again in Izombie.

• Love 2

Let's refrain from insulting other posters. Thanks. 

I also don't know where you're getting that from, anyway. You talk as if everyone here wants Liv to be with Blaine, when I haven't seen anyone shipping those two. Ravi also appears to be most people's favorite male character, and he's none of the things you listed.

And Carson McComb? What forum have you been reading, because I don't remember anyone "lusting after" him on this one. The most I saw was some "hey cool, it's Dick!" type stuff, and that's because Ryan Hansen himself is a fun guy, not because any of his characters are swoon-worthy.

• Love 6
(edited)

I think the show's done a good job developing Major from literally being lily white (He's seemingly well off financially! He's smart! He was all conference in football in the Pac 12! He's a social worker! He's a generous boyfriend!) into a much more interesting personality.  Ultimately it all still comes from his desire to do good, but he's making problematic (but I think mostly realistic [as much as you can given the premise involves zombies, anyway]) decisions from that place.  Maybe he's less Duncan and more Meg Manning.

Which means I think they'll manage to do something similar with Peyton.  And if she's involved in the action with more characters than just Liv they'll have more chances to do so.

Edited by enlightenedbum
  • Love 3
(edited)
Agreed.  I’m sick of hearing posters bitch about how Major bores them.  It seems to be mainly women who are whining about his character.  I guess their definition of boring must be a guy who is a handsome, muscular, clean cut, compassionate, romantic, educated, and employed.

No,my definition of boring is a guy who simply doesn't have enough personality, and I really think you don't know enough about me or people who share my opinion to post any generalizations.

You’d think any respectable woman would want a man with Major’s characteristics.

I don't care about what any "respectable" (funny term...) woman wants IRL. I want interesting TV. Major doesn't offer interesting TV. He may be a dreamboat, but his storyline doesn't sparkle. It's a known fact that the worst thing a story/character can be is boring. Major simply  doesn't get any strong response from me. Thus, he's boring. He feels like an afterthought. A character who exists for Liv to get over.

I've written this already somewhere, but I don't watch TV for healthy, functional relationships and wholesome characters. I watch it for interesting relationships/characters. And Major simply isn't interesting.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 4

To be fair I don't think Major has been given the same opportunities to shine as some of the other characters.  I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with the actor because if Major and Lowell's actors were reversed I think I would still dislike Lowell.  I feel like Liv's relationship with Lowell makes her seem like a shallow person but that's just me, ymmv.  I can only imagine how it looks to Peyton, Major, Mom, and Evan knowing that she dumped her fiance for no real reason and is suddenly dating some musician she just met.

I'm happy that she can experience a physical relationship with someone but I wish it was meaningful.  And maybe I don't understand the whole secrecy of it all.  I think her family and fiance would have understood if she explained what happened to her.  She's not killing anyone to eat and she's basically the same person.  I think that was her knee jerk response but I don't think it was necessarily the right one.

I think I feel like Major got a raw deal and maybe I just like rooting for the underdog.  I too hope that Peyton is given more to do, she's still kind of on the outskirts of the story.

• Love 2

I think the show's done a good job developing Major from literally being lily white (He's seemingly well off financially! He's smart! He was all conference in football in the Pac 12! He's a social worker! He's a generous boyfriend!) into a much more interesting personality.  Ultimately it all still comes from his desire to do good, but he's making problematic (but I think mostly realistic [as much as you can given the premise involves zombies, anyway]) decisions from that place.  Maybe he's less Duncan and more Meg Manning.

Which means I think they'll manage to do something similar with Peyton.  And if she's involved in the action with more characters than just Liv they'll have more chances to do so.

Thank you.  I forgot to mention that Major was a great football player in college.  That status alone usually attracts women in droves. 

When you described Major as “good”, it got me thinking.  I think that label is what REALLY turns some women off.  They are just calling him “boring” because they would look bad if they trashed a great guy…for being a great guy. 

True, lots of posters here talk about how much they love Ravi, but that seems to be in a platonic sense.  He’s funny and entertaining, so he is not labeled the “B” word.  However, some would friend zone such men in a New York Minute.  In fact, you can already see some people bitching about Ravi getting involved with a physically attractive woman like Peyton. 

When you described Major as “good”, it got me thinking.  I think that label is what REALLY turns some women off.  They are just calling him “boring” because they would look bad if they trashed a great guy…for being a great guy.

I really feel like you're reaching. It's TV. Great or not great doesn't matter! What matters is exciting/unexciting. Major is the definition of unexciting. Hell, Duncan was more exciting, and I hated him.

True, lots of posters here talk about how much they love Ravi, but that seems to be in a platonic sense.

I'd take Ravi as a love interest over Major if we had to choose. At least he has a personality. And no, "nice guy" isn't a personality.

I feel like Liv's relationship with Lowell makes her seem like a shallow person

I think Liv/Lowell feels more like a part of Liv's character development rather than a proper romance, and that might make it seem shallow for some people. I just feel like this is exactly the point of this arc. To let Liv move on from her previous expectations of love based on her romance with Major. It's simply a part of her re-discovering life after becoming a zombie.

• Love 4

It seems to be mainly women who are whining about his character.  I guess their definition of boring must be a guy who is a handsome, muscular, clean cut, compassionate, romantic, educated, and employed.  I’m sure most would agree that Major has the aforementioned traits, yet posters still call him boring.  You’d think any respectable woman would want a man with Major’s characteristics....

Based on posts I have read, it seems that if a man is to be considered “non-boring”, he has to be a narcissist, a liar, a criminal, a drug dealer, a kidnapper, or a murderer.  These are all evil traits, yet female posters lust for miscreants like Blaine, Carson McCombs (Ryan Hansen aka Dick Casablancas), and Lowell 

I don't actually know that all the people posting about Major being boring are actually women - perhaps you're better informed - but assuming they are, I think they'd probably agree that they speak for themselves and not for all women, all female posters, all female posters in this thread, or even all female posters who don't find Major attractive who post to this thread. 

What a number of them have said is that Major is a bit of a Marty Stu, and needs to be written more compellingly to show how awesome he is rather than tell it. I think that's an opinion you don't have to have a dysfunctional relationship with the opposite sex to hold. Those are good.

• Love 2

The solution to the mystery in this episode seemed pretty obvious. Other than that, I enjoyed it. It was another ensemble and plot-building exercise and a new series always needs that. 

My husband called Blaine "Zombie Spike" and so far I agree. I am kind of enjoying the character but also not sure how far they want to take him as the villain of the show. As for some of the other men...Clive is starting to be entertaining, Major is showing a darker side ( and I'm glad he's not completely clueless...I think the actor IS taking him step by step a bit beyond a Dudley Do-Right stereotype. I'm not invested in who he or Liz end up with..it's too soon in the story for that), and I really like Ravi. Maybe its the South Indian in me but I think he's good-looking and hey, that British accent :) Lowell could go either way for me as a character to root for, I think a lot will depend on what they do with him in the next episode. Too soon to start really pairing people up permanently. 

I am enjoying this show a lot more than I thought, considering how much I dislike zombie films & shows. 

To be fair I don't think Major has been given the same opportunities to shine as some of the other characters.  I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with the actor because if Major and Lowell's actors were reversed I think I would still dislike Lowell.  I feel like Liv's relationship with Lowell makes her seem like a shallow person but that's just me, ymmv.  I can only imagine how it looks to Peyton, Major, Mom, and Evan knowing that she dumped her fiance for no real reason and is suddenly dating some musician she just met.

I'm happy that she can experience a physical relationship with someone but I wish it was meaningful.  And maybe I don't understand the whole secrecy of it all.  I think her family and fiance would have understood if she explained what happened to her.  She's not killing anyone to eat and she's basically the same person.  I think that was her knee jerk response but I don't think it was necessarily the right one.

I think I feel like Major got a raw deal and maybe I just like rooting for the underdog.  I too hope that Peyton is given more to do, she's still kind of on the outskirts of the story.

Aha.  Sequence is a big deal in our perceptions of characters.  Major is going down the wrong road.  He started as a great man (boooooring).  But recently, he’s had two fights, he got fired, he broke into a car, he went to jail, and purchased illegal firearms.  What’s funny is that if he was committing all of these acts at the BEGINNING of this season, you wouldn’t have so many posters calling him boring.  In fact, they’d probably go on about how haaaaawwwt he is. 

I’ll admit I’m being a little prejudiced when it comes to Lowell.  Maybe he is a decent man after all and the writers are just trying to psych us out by having Blaine go to his apartment building.  Maybe Blaine is going to another customer’s apartment that lives in the same building. 

You make a good point when you say Liv should have told Major about what happened to her.  He at least deserved that instead of Liv just appearing to dump him for no reason.  No wonder he flipped out on her in episode two when she tried crawling back.  However, if she had told him the truth from the get go, that wouldn’t make for good drama.

Where?

Research this message board and the one at imdb.com. 

(edited)

...I am enjoying this show a lot more than I thought, considering how much I dislike zombie films & shows...

Me too, and one of my daughters as well.

When Major opened up the car trunk full of guns, were we supposed to conclude that he was buying a gun for protection, or a whole frickin' arsenal?

Edited by shapeshifter

Finally got to see this. 

The victim of the week was an a-hole wasn't she. I expected better from you Deputy Jo. Lol (she's popping up everywhere, she's playing an AI robot on the 100 as well) I don't think Ravi can get too mad at Liv was the brain she ate that was making her act the way she was. Although I still think she would've warned him about Peyton. She was right, Petyon didn't have any "moment" with him. She barely remembered him. 

I still love Liv's evil laugh when Ravi said that the rat she's holding could cause the Apocalypse. 

For me it's not that Major's a good guy, it's the actor that bland IMO. He's not bringing any personalty the the character. I don't like Peyton that much but at least she has a personality when she's on screen. The actor playing Major is just there. His storyline should be interesting and I should feel sorry for him, but I don't. Maybe if a better actor was playing him, I would. I definitely don't want Liv hooking up with Blaine, EVER. I don't care if the actors have smoking hot chemistry, he's an awful person and no one should want to date him. 

Which brings me why doesn't somebody just shoot Blaine? Like the Police Chief, he doesn't need Blaine to get him brains, he can go talk to Liv or just steal brains from the morgue himself. Blaine is not the only that can kill people either, why pay him when you go get them yourself? They don't really need him. 

I like Lowell, but I know he's just the temp boyfriend or the boyfriend that makes Liv feel again. Not some long term end game love. He's necessary to move her story along. 

They better not turn Ravi into a zombie, we have enough as it is. 

• Love 2

Major used to bore me, but honestly now i think he's quite compelling. I loved when he was clearly giving lip service to Liv to get her out of the house after she told him that he was hanging on to the case because he missed Jerome. Then buying stolen weapons. I think his character trajectory is the murkiest and possibly most intriguing of all the characters.

For me it's not that Major's a good guy, it's the actor that bland IMO. He's not bringing any personalty the the character.

I wouldn't be so harsh, but I think I agree. The actor is the bigger problem with Major. Particularly since the actors he usually shares screentime with have much charm and charisma on screen.

I can only imagine how it looks to Peyton, Major, Mom, and Evan knowing that she dumped her fiance for no real reason and is suddenly dating some musician she just met.

Except she didn't dump him for "no real reason." Even if they don't know Liv's a zombie, she was still attacked and left for dead. They think she's undergoing some kind of PTSD.

Also is Lowell a famous musician? How did Peyton know that he was a musician when Liv said his name? 

Liv didn't stop Major from dating, he was still dating the girl after Liv saw him. He ruined his chances when he started ignoring her, getting in fights and obsessing over the Candyman. 

• Love 2

I think it would be weird if Liv is the only one who got visions from the brains she eats so he must know that innocent people are being killed so that he can eat.

Liv typically only gets visions when something from the victim's life triggers it. Since she hangs out at the crime scene and goes with Clive to interview suspects/family/friends and often sees the victim's home as well, she's much more likely to hit a trigger for the visions than if she was just eating brains with no connection to their owners. It's not like she gets tons of visions even with her proximity to these triggers anyway. I could see that other zombies would be much less likely to suffer from visions at all and even if they did, the visions are usually pretty brief and hazy. Liv has background to make the connection between her visions and the dead person, random zombie eating brains would not have that frame of reference.

• Love 5

So you're indicting posters here, in a rather unfriendly way, for what was posted somewhere else?

Not seeking those nice guy points, I guess.

The point I made about people complaining about LIve and Peyton's relationship were based on posts from another forum.  So what?  They are discussing the SAME show.

I stand by my points about people repeatedly calling Major boring on THIS forum.  Do you deny that's happening here? 

I would never seek "nice guy" points considering how nice guys are so despised by most women these days.  See the posts on this forum trashing Major.  You might say this is just a TV show, but as I said earlier, good fiction is based on reality and the show's writer Rob Thomas understands this dynamic well. 

(edited)

The point I made about people complaining about LIve and Peyton's relationship were based on posts from another forum.  So what?  They are discussing the SAME show.

I would never seek "nice guy" points considering how nice guys are so despised by most women these days.

You said it was also brought up on this forum, which it is not.

Very few women despise actual nice guys. However, we do despise "nice guys". 

ETA: If the writers really are 

pandering to some women's vile desires

I say that's a welcome change, since a good 85% of TV currently made is based on pandering to men's vile desires.

Some men's, that is.

Not all men's.

Edited by CinnamonCat
  • Love 9
I definitely don't want Liv hooking up with Blaine, EVER. I don't care if the actors have smoking hot chemistry, he's an awful person and no one should want to date him. 

I concur.  In fact, that would be a deal breaker for me.  I understand the writers pandering to some women's vile desires in exchange for ratings, but I would quit watching the show if Liv falls for that murderous psycopath Blaine. 

Again, no one on this forum wants Liv to get together with Blaine. You are insulting women here based on something that some women supposedly said on another forum. Stop doing that.

If you talk here about what people are saying here, we can all discuss and debate these topics together.

If you talk here about what people are saying on a forum that none of us read, we have to take your word for it that those people are saying what you claim they're saying, and those people have no way of defending themselves if you misinterpret them or make blanket statements. But mostly, we just don't care what people on another forum are saying about this show. If we did, we'd be posting there.

• Love 13
(edited)

"That has to be the worst wig I have ever seen, to the point where I don't understand how the other characters don't say something about her hair. Nobody could walk around with hair that looked like that without everyone who saw them commenting on it."

I guess you haven't watched The Blacklist!

No I haven't, but I find it hard to believe there could actually be anything worse that Liv's.

Anything worse?  How about pretty much every wig in every flashback/forward/sideways that was on Lost.  Especially Jack's.  Maybe ABC and WB share a wig department.

ETA - first quote should have been in a quote box, quoted from a post up-thread.

Edited by chaifan
(edited)

I was so proud of Ravi for thinking of chain gloves, and then the links were loose enough to allow a rat bite.  Drat.  And I'm sorry the rat that tried to escape got eaten anyway.  Ravi was drawing blood from the rat, so I don't think he's started on a vaccine/antidote yet.  He made a comment about introns in DNA potentially activated, so hopefully there are not enough genes in common between humans and rats to let the zombieism to be transferred.  I did love Liv's reaction to the zombrat.  I hope they call it Dr. Oppenheimer now.

I agree the mystery of the weak was basic, but I enjoyed the rest of the episode.  I like Lowell but I could see it going either way.  If he is knowingly buying murder victim brains off Blaine, he's on the wrong side.  He referenced visions in this episode, and I'm pretty sure Blaine mentioned them in his first conversation with Liv.

Major really is spiraling.  I still think he's hampered by his ridiculous name, but I like that he wasn't persuaded that he was wrong about the brain.  His decision making is getting worse and worse.  I'm not surprised his job suffered because he is supposed to be setting a positive example for at risk kids, and breaking into a car and getting into fights are the opposite.  I'm starting to think he's going to be Blaine's leverage instead of Liv's brother, or maybe along with.  I did like the fight club joke.

Ravi working the anagrams in the kid's magazine was fun.  It was a bit sad that his moment was so one sided, but I did like that he called Liv out for her criticism.  I hope he isn't a zombie by the time the date rolls around.

ETA: Did not recognize Erica Cerra, but good to see her.

Edited by MisterGlass
  • Love 2

I was so proud of Ravi for thinking of chain gloves, and then the links were loose enough to allow a rat bite.  Drat. 

I was just getting ready to ask how the hell the rat bit him through chainmail gloves. I suppose the weave might have been open enough for a tooth to slip through, but I thought it was hinky. And please, no zombie Ravi!

• Love 1

I was just getting ready to ask how the hell the rat bit him through chainmail gloves. I suppose the weave might have been open enough for a tooth to slip through, but I thought it was hinky. And please, no zombie Ravi!

I could be mistaken but it looked like the rat went into zombie rage mode before it bit Ravi. That's probably how the rat bit thru the chain.
  • Love 2
(edited)

I stand by my points about people repeatedly calling Major boring on THIS forum. Do you deny that's happening here?

So what if they do? People are entitled to their opinion. If you don't think Major's boring, fine. Tell us why you think Major's not boring instead of attacking women in general.

In fact I would point out that several posters here have posted that they find Major's storyline and character interesting.

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 6

In fact I would point out that several posters here have posted that they find find Major's storyline and character interesting.

Being a woman who finds Major adorable and not boring in the least, I approve that statement.

I'm not saying that Major didn't start off a bit meh, but now Major is stepping out and putting himself outside of his usual comfort zone to find justice for his kids. I use the term "his kids" because you don't start spiraling out-of-control for strangers or folks who are just a job. 

Major has relied on his privilege and social standing ( as a white male in the US who played college-level football), but has a good heart and a strong sense of justice.  The pat answers aren't enough. He has lost faith in the system(s). I would not have guessed in the pilot that Major would be buying guns from a car trunk. In fact ,I honestly thought we'd see Major less and less.  Major is compelling to me because his guilt and fear and anger are chasing him into some darker places. Robert Buckley is selling me on how it's wigging Major out too. Of course, as with anything, MMV.

I wonder when Clive is going to say something to Liv about spitting out stuff about eye witnesses. He rolled with Liv's story to the intern/assistant, but Clive/ Malcolm Goodwin's face had a great " oh, do we?" response. It was brief, but Mr. Goodwin has Clive present in every scene.

• Love 5
(edited)

It seems I (and maybe some other posters) have struck a nerve by calling Major "boring". First of all, this is an opinion. It's not an attack on a real person - it's my evaluation of the character's writing and the actor's acting. I'm not a fan, yes, but we are all entitled to our assessments. 

Second, I don't find him boring because he's nice and functional (well, to an extent, considering his downward spiral which is not a bad idea, just hampered by me not giving a damn about the character in the first place). There are quite a few TV characters which can be considered nice (like, for instance, Michael on Jane the Virgin - totally a better love interest than Rafael) that I find interesting and prefer them to others. I just need more than a broad stereotype like "perfect boyfriend" and "helps others in need". Where are his flaws? Where is the chemistry with Liv, if he's a love interest? Where are the interesting dynamics with other characters? (I expected them to do something with Ravi/Major, but nope). Things like that are necessary for me to enjoy a character. 

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 6

[Lowell] referenced visions in this episode, and I'm pretty sure Blaine mentioned them in his first conversation with Liv.

When Liv gasped "Sam" whilst they were making out, Lowell asked if she was having a vision. I'm not sure about your second reference, but in "Brother, Can You Spare a Brain?" Liv told Blaine she wanted to meet him because she had a vision of him as a zombie chasing a guy. So the jury's still out re: anyone but Liv having visions.

• Love 1

Something has to trigger the visions, if they aren't around or see anything the dead person saw they won't have any visions of that person. 

I just don't know why Blaine is going around killing people, drawing attention to them. He should just change a mortician and use them as the supplier. I get he wants to be rich, but this isn't like making and dealing drugs, dead bodies piling up is a lot more noticeable. If he keeps going at this pace even the police captain isn't going to be able to keep covering everything up. I don't get what he's doing and it doesn't seem like the creators have it planned out that well either. I will wait and see but as of now it just looks like evil and stupid and easy to solve by just killing Blaine. Also like making drugs, he's not necessary to procure brains. 

• Love 3

I think the show really needs to explain Blaine's motivations (and hopefully hint at his backstory). I really would prefer to get a few episodes without a murder of the week formula, considering we're nearing the end of the season.

• Love 4
(edited)
He at least deserved that instead of Liv just appearing to dump him for no reason.

I don't blame Liv for not telling Major she'd turned into a zombie. She had to process it before being ready to share with others. I do think that now he deserves to know, but I also get that it's not going to be easy. Liv has no idea how he'll react. 

I think the show really needs to explain Blaine's motivations

Wasn't he a drug dealer before he got zombified? I think he's expanding on that now that he's stronger (physically) and has a more captive audience. I don't disagree that it would be nice to have more information about Blaine, but his empire-building isn't coming out of nowhere. Like some other posters, though, I'd like to start seeing some pushback from other zombies.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1
Wasn't he a drug dealer before he got zombified? I think he's expanding on that now that he's stronger (physically) and has a more captive audience. I don't disagree that it would be nice to have more information about Blaine, but his empire-building isn't coming out of nowhere. Like some other posters, though, I'd like to start seeing some pushback from other zombies.

Yeah, I understand all of it, but he's bound to have some sort of plan. He doesn't have to be so dumb that he doesn't realize his "empire" is one step away from crumbling.

• Love 1

I get that he's a drug dealer, but dealing drugs isn't the same as leaving brainless bodies all over the place or making a bunch of zombies so he can have a client list. The more people he kills and more people he turns are going to start drawing attention to them. Then there is also his zombies can just gang up and kill him. They don't need him, he's not making drugs, the brains are all ready and waiting inside people's skulls.

He's not at all needed to get them. They can just kill people themselves, especially the police captain who can just cover up the murders on his own or get them from the morgue like Liv. 

• Love 1

I get that he's a drug dealer, but dealing drugs isn't the same as leaving brainless bodies all over the place or making a bunch of zombies so he can have a client list. The more people he kills and more people he turns are going to start drawing attention to them. Then there is also his zombies can just gang up and kill him. They don't need him, he's not making drugs, the brains are all ready and waiting inside people's skulls.

He's not at all needed to get them. They can just kill people themselves, especially the police captain who can just cover up the murders on his own or get them from the morgue like Liv. 

The fact that Liv could hook up the police captain with brains is what makes me think Blaine doesn't actually have a plan for Liv-he was bluffing to keep the captain from trying to reach out to Liv separately. If the captain is under Blaine's thumb and he thinks Liv is too, then he won't try to team up with Liv for fear of reparations from Blaine.

Also, that's an easy way to eliminate the captain, who could be a potential ally to Liv. He goes to her, she starts hooking him up with brains, Blaine finds out, end of the captain. Blaine shows how powerful his empire is to Liv AND he eliminates a potential weak spot in his organization.