Type keyword(s) to search

Celebrity Jeopardy!

Athena
  • Start Topic

According to the Jeopardy! site it's been five years since they've done a celebrity edition. I still have Stephen King's appearance on VHS somewhere in my house.

I'm...curious to see how Aaron Rodgers does.

(Sorry, I don't have any good suggestions for a thread subtitle, heh)

I still have Stephen King's appearance on VHS somewhere in my house.

Same here! SK is my favorite author, and I also love Duchovny, who was playing in that game as well, so that was a seriously exciting episode for me. I haven't watched it in forever, but I know the FJ was Breakfast at Tiffany's, so therefore it favored SK a bit, I suppose. Great game, in spite of Lynn Redgrave. 

• Love 1

So they are apparently keeping the lineup of contestants secret?  (Except that it somehow leaked that Aaron Rogers is on with Kevin O’Leary from Shark Tank and former astronaut Mark Kelly.)  Shows like Dancing With the Stars widely publicize their celebrities.

I, too, will be interested to see how Rogers does.  You have to be smart to play quarterback in the NFL, but being smart doesn't mean you'll be good at Jeopardy necessarily.  There are some overlaps in desirable skills.  The best Jeopardy players have short reaction times and can make decisions fast, like a good quarterback.  But the amount of sheer knowledge of broad subjects is something NFL players may not necessarily have.

My theory is that the best age for Jeopardy contestants is the early 30s, where you still have youthful reaction times but have accumulated enough knowledge.  The peak age for quarterbacks is generally thought to be the early 30s, also.  But, of course, we see many good Jeopardy players past age 50, so the analogy breaks down there.

On the other hand, I see no reason to think actors would make good game show contestants.

I wish Andy Richter could come back. He was on the one where they did a celebrity version once a month then the winners and those with top scores came back for a playoff or something like that. Andy was on when Conan had the Tonight Show and when the playoff came around Conan was off the show and they were on tour before the TBS show started. He did really well and had the highest score if I'm remembering correctly. Andy wasn't able to return for the playoff.

Edited by HelenBaby

I hope this celebrity tournament is similar to the last one or two, where all the contestants had several brain cells to rub together and the clues thus bore a resemblance to a regular game, rather than going back to the long prior history, where the clues were written at about a sixth-grade level - and the contestants still couldn't come up with half of them.

I love "Suck it, Trebek" as a title.

As much as I hope it's a competitive game, it really was kind of cringingly hilarious to watch Blitzer flame out so intensely.

I know this CJ's contestants have been announced, but what dream contestants would you like to see?

• Love 1

I love "Suck it, Trebek" as a title.

As much as I hope it's a competitive game, it really was kind of cringingly hilarious to watch Blitzer flame out so intensely.

I know this CJ's contestants have been announced, but what dream contestants would you like to see?

I'd like a rock-n-roll matchup with Bruce Springsteen, Bono and Keith Richards, who I suspect may not be as brain dead as he appears.

• Love 2

They announced a few contestants:

Aaron Rogers - NFL quarterback and MVP

Keving O'Leary - he's on the TV show Shark Tank

Zachary Quinto - he plays a Vulcan in the movies, so he must be smart

Ginger Zee - meteorologist on Good Morning America - TV meteorologists being a common face of science to the public

• Love 1

I've barely heard of most of them, and I really don't like Mo Rocca, but Penn Jillette should be interesting.

So far, my all-time favorite Celebrity Jeopardy contestant is Cheech Marin.  Possibly because he surprised me with how well he did -- I don't thihk I expected him to have many brain cells left. 

• Love 2
I know those two, Aaron Rodgers and Penn Jillette. I have no clue who the others are.

My picks to do well would be Penn Jillette, Mark Kelly, and Zachary Quinto.  

Mark Kelly has to have an edge -- good reflexes, a wealth of knowledge, and can perform under pressure, he's an astronaut.

Anyone remembers what a mess that CNN Quiz show was back in February ?  Hopefully the Celebrity Tournament is better than that.

Kevin O'Leary can leave the Jeopardy stage ASAP.

So far, my all-time favorite Celebrity Jeopardy contestant is Cheech Marin.

I really enjoyed that tournament, especially the finals with Marin, Jane Curtin, and winner Michael McKean.

• Love 2

So far, my all-time favorite Celebrity Jeopardy contestant is Cheech Marin.  Possibly because he surprised me with how well he did -- I don't thihk I expected him to have many brain cells left.

I liked Cheech Marin as a contestant too - or in pretty much anything.  I think it's his former partner, Tommy Chong, who's more likely to be missing a whole lot of brain cells.

I am familiar with Penn Jillette and have always liked him - I guess there's not much point in having Teller on the show - he'd just stand there and say nothing. 

Kevin O'Leary seems to be as popular south of the border as he is up here in Canada (where he's from) - and yet he keeps getting gigs.

NHO the others, or maybe only their name but nothing about them.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2

I know it's superficial, but Mo Rocca's tongue annoys me.  It's not quite a speech impediment, but it's damn close.  And Penn just annoys me on general principle - and I have no idea why.

I liked the CJ when Jerry Orbach won.  I had a crush on him from 1963 til he died.

• Love 3

I know it's superficial, but Mo Rocca's tongue annoys me.  It's not quite a speech impediment, but it's damn close.  And Penn just annoys me on general principle - and I have no idea why.

I liked the CJ when Jerry Orbach won.  I had a crush on him from 1963 til he died.

I've never heard of Mo Rocca, but now I'll make sure to avoid him (her? it?) like the plague.

Are we twins? Penn and Teller have always annoyed and bored me to tears. I don't know why either, but I've just never liked them.

I loved Jerry Orbach. In fact, I'm getting ready to watch a few hours of vintage Law & Order. Can't get enough of Lenny Briscoe.

I enjoyed Kareem Abdul-Jabbar when he was on CJ a couple of years ago.

• Love 3

Mo (he's a he) was a correspondent on The Daily Show a very long time ago and is a frequent panelist on NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. He also hosts a show on the Cooking Channel I can't recall the name of and I think I've seen him on CBS's Sunday morning show. I've never noticed a speech impediment or his tongue.

• Love 1

Mo's current Cooking Channel show is "My Grandmother's Ravioli". He did another show named "Food(ography)". I think he's very entertaining on Wait, Wait. He also judged on "Iron Chef" several times. I think he's a riot.

• Love 1

Mo Rocca is someone I want to like because of so much of what he says, but can't because he annoys the hell out of me when he says it.

Penn Jillette I agree with on some things, but he uses misogynistic language I will not abide, so I hope he goes down in flames.

Aaron Rodgers plays for the Packers, so - same.

So far, I'll be rooting for Mark Kelly.

• Love 4

Does anyone remember when Ed Begley Jr. was a contestant many years ago? It was back when the game Trivial Pursuit was really popular and he was well known for playing it on sets where he worked. Well, he came on the show and tanked big time. He was in the hole when they came to final Jeopardy and the producers made his negative total, made it positive and let him play since it was for charity. It was almost as bad as when Blitzer famously flamed out. Good times!

• Love 1

Mo Rocca is pretty quck and knowledgable, I think he'll do OK. He can be a bit precious but I love that the people on Grandmother's Ravioli seem to dig him so much. 

I too am curious to see how Aaron Rodgers does...is he really smart, smart for a football player, or dumb jock?

Mo (he's a he) was a correspondent on The Daily Show a very long time ago and is a frequent panelist on NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. He also hosts a show on the Cooking Channel I can't recall the name of and I think I've seen him on CBS's Sunday morning show. I've never noticed a speech impediment or his tongue.

He's an acknowledged lisper (I have one that creeps in occasionally, too, despite speech therapy as a little kid).  He did a feature on it for NPR a while back:  http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=16266297

I was sure (I was hoping) that CNN would realize what a dope Wolf Blitzer is after his spectacularly embarrassing performance on CJ and show him the door, but it's become obvious that brains aren't a prerequisite for an on-air job there.  Loved Cheech and Michael McKean.

• Love 1

I always found Mo incredibly unfunny on VH-1's "I Love the..." shows so I'm not looking forward to him.

Aaron Rodgers went to Cal for college so he must have picked up some knowledge. I actually adore Aaron, he's pretty funny and personable so I will be interested to see how he does. One of the things he likes to do on Sundays is photobomb his teammates when they are doing interviews on the sideline.

(edited)

Heh, well, the Janitor always outsmarted JD. All 3 did very well. What's the fun in that - no mocking these 3 :-) Though they missed some easy ones. Easy FJ - I'm surprised Vince missed it.

I tune out Alex but I don't think he said why his voice was bad - sounds like a bad cold.

Edited by M. Darcy
(edited)

I know it's Celebrity Jeopardy so they relax the rules on some answers, but letting Debra Messing answer that DD in the DJ round with just 'Princess Grace' should not have been accepted.  Grace Kelly wasn't a princess until AFTER she married Prince Rainier.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 8
(edited)

Well, crap! I've never heard of that Neil guy never having watched either Scrubs or The Middle.

WTF! Vince, how the hell could you miss that? That was an incredibly easy game, almost on the level of the Kids Tournament. I was disappointed that about a third of the clues weren't revealed. Too many TS and deer in the headlights looks after ringing in.

I agree that Princess Grace shouldn't have been accepted.

Geez...

Edited by CarpeDiem54
(edited)

Things like accepting Princess Grace for Grace Kelly and not penalizing Neil for failing to phrase in the form of a question (I didn't hear a "What is" before his snake answer) were par for the course in the celebrity tournaments of old, but I wish they'd stuck to recent history and governed this like a regular game.  (Not to mention gone with more challenging clues.)

I haven't watched any of Vince Gilligan's shows since he was a writer on The X-Files, and haven't paid attention to any press about him since then, so to me he's frozen in time from XF-era interviews and I did a double take at him looking different.  Same great voice, though.

Good voices all around this game, really. 

I didn't get home until just as the interviews started, so I missed the first half of round one.  From the portion of the game I saw, Indonesia was my big stunner as a TS -- from the clue and category, they knew the answer started with I, was made up of a shit ton of islands, and straddles the equator. 

The Tehran embassy was almost as surprising.

Omelet(te) was a bit surprising, too, but I liked Neil's reaction.  I wasn't familiar with him, but he was enjoyable to watch.  I was rooting for both Debra and Vince, but can't complain about his win.  (And can't believe Vince didn't get FJ.)

I just wish it hadn't been such an easy set of clues. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5
(edited)
I just checked my recording and Neil did say "what is a snake" but the "what is" was quiet.

Ah, okay.  I didn't hear it, and Alex said something like, "Yes, what is a snake?" so between those two things I thought Neil hadn't said it and Alex was filling it in for him (like saying, "Yes, Grace Kelly" when Debra gave her Princess Grace answer).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1