Type keyword(s) to search

Celebrity Jeopardy!

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I still cannot believe he said IBM for the Wozniak DD and that that was a DD in the first place.

I know. He obviously doesn't keep up with current events since Woz was on DWTS and also The Big Bang Theory, plus has been on interview shows from time to time. It was such a NB (no-brainer!) but then again, I guess it wasn't.

As for Aaron playing in Green Bay and not in Milwaukee where Harley Davidson is a major company, that's a NB too since Milwaukee doesn't have a football team and the GB Packers are the only pro FB team in the state. But HD is a major company with lots of world-wide publicity so for someone to actually live in Wisconsin and not know it ... for shame. (For the record, I do not live in Wisconsin nor do I have any interest in motorcycles but I sure know HD.)

When Aaron gets really old, he will remember HD since every old retired man buys a Corvette and a Harley. Trust me. They do. 

I did think some questions were more difficult in game 2 as opposed to game 1, but that view only reflects my own knowledge and what I don't know!

Edited by saber5055
Why didn't they leave the bit about 'workplace-based comic' out, it's too easy this way." And they still all blanked!

Because they don't actually "work" for a living...anyone who sits in a cube all day totally gets Dilbert

My money's on Mo tonight. All those CBS Sunday Morning shows he's done should have made him acquire some knowledge by osmosis...although I do rather like Wendi Mclendon-Covey

• Love 1

I didn't get Gregory Peck either, but I think because it was a younger picture than I know him.  If it would have been Atticus Finch, I would have gotten it is a second.  I cannot believe a man who spends as much time in Wisconsin as Aaron Rogers didn't think of Harley Davidson.  I was impressed with how efficient he was though.  I think without Aaron moving so quickly, they would have only gone through half the board each round.

I still can't believe the astronaut didn't know the Dawn spacecraft and Ceres!

I did appreciate Aaron's moving the game along.  Mr. Wonderful in the middle was way too slow.

Okay, so I follow @whoisalexjacob. Here's what he tweeted about yesterday's game. I think it's spot on.

"Seems unlikely that an NFL player would go on #J unless he knew his shit. Meanwhile, Mr. Wonderful seems arrogant enough to go on regardless."

• Love 6

I think there is no correlation between living (or working) in Wisconsin, or even owning a Harley, and knowing what that FJ picture was supposed to be.

• Love 3

I still can't believe the astronaut didn't know the Dawn spacecraft and Ceres!

I did appreciate Aaron's moving the game along.  Mr. Wonderful in the middle was way too slow.

I know. I was thinking of Elton John's Rocket Man when he sings, "All the science, I don't understand."

I really thought Mark would do better. I've never seen Shark Tank, so I knew nothing about Mr. Wonderful. Well, not I know he's annoying on Jeopardy and not very good at it.

A good friend of mine lives in Green Bay and is a huge Packers fan. He said the sentiment up there today was they were happy Aaron won but disappointed he missed the Harley Davidson clue.

• Love 2

I could not figure out  last night's FJ, but I'm guessing they had a longer time looking at a larger picture to figure out what they were supposed to be seeing. 

Thanks everyone! I am feeling brilliantly clever that I immediately said "Harley and Davidson".

I'm sure that won't last long, however, so I'm enjoying it for the moment.

• Love 2

Thanks everyone! I am feeling brilliantly clever that I immediately said "Harley and Davidson".

I'm sure that won't last long, however, so I'm enjoying it for the moment.

If you're like me , you'll feel smart for 3 more shows.

• Love 3
If I remember correctly, Kareem Abdul Jabbar did fairly well when he was a contestant.

All I remember about him was that there was an answer where the correct question was "Who is Kareem Abdul Jabbar?" and he didn't get it right.

No spoilers about today's show, but I have to say that Mo Rocca drove me absolutely insane with his neurotic tics and stammering. It's like he studied at The School Of Woody Allen. Drove me nuts.

• Love 4
(edited)

When the category C_NN was shown, I knew "cinnamon" would be used. The Goldbergs category had no surprises since Whoopie and Rube Goldberg were also answers.

Alex, was that crack about taking orders from a woman really necessary?

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 2
(edited)

Twitchy people make me uncomfortable.

Dare I say they make you twitchy?

The fabulous Wendi up against two Harvard newsmen. To quote Trebek: "HELL-low."

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

And yet they didn't know the quote from Midsummer Night's Dream.  Mo's constant motion was highly annoying (I'm not a fan of his anyway), as was Wendi's rocking.  Wendi also seemed a little pissed that she couldn't ring in.

And as much as I don't like Mo Rocca, I have to admit, he did well, but I'm still glad the other guy beat him.

• Love 2
(edited)

Saber hahaha I actually started to write "twitch" but changed my mind.

And holy moly it was so much WORSE than what I was prepared for. Good balls my husband was ready to tell me to stop watching because I was complaining almost the whole time.

John was annoying too with all of his unnecessary words every time he picked a category. Wendi also wasn't as much fun as I was anticipating.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2

Where to start? Stupid Alex with his lame sexist comment, the enragingly simple questions and absolutely everything about waste of human flesh Mo Rocca. This is the the first time I've resented getting all the questions right. It was like an SNL parody. I liked Wendi more than I expected so of course she was crushed. I'm so disgusted I felt compelled to delurk and vent.

• Love 3

I remember that Twitchy Mo Clown now. He's the guy, that when he comes on Sunday Morning, I go get more coffee or pee so I don't have to listen to him. Never heard tell of the other two, thank God. That Wendy was more itchy than Alex the Contestant the way she kept scratching her neck.

• Love 2

Well, that was a waste of 30 minutes. Boring categories and not particularly likeable contestants.  (I like Wendi, but she didn't have a shot.)  After Aaron Rodgers (hot, likeable and did well) couldn't we pull out one of the Boyle brothers from the NHL or  Craig Brelow (Red Sox pitcher with a degree in biochem from Yale) or, well, someone entertaining, somewhat smart, and likeable?

• Love 2

I spent the whole episode wondering where I recognized Wendi from, and Bridesmaids finally came to me after FJ.  Then I looked her up on IMDb and realized she'd been in Modern Family, too, and I never once put together that "Pam" was the woman from Bridesmaids.

I was rooting for her because of her charity, and because Alex was such a sexist prig during her interview.

They all wrote their names obnoxiously.

So many Kids Tournament-level clues.  But, sadly, pointing to Lisbon on a map is something that would happen in a regular game these days.

I cannot believe the "course of true love" quote was a TS. 

A journalist pronouncing Iran "Eye-ran" is pathetic, but given the state of American journalism - and CNN in particular - today, I should not be surprised.

• Love 6

A journalist pronouncing Iran "Eye-ran" is pathetic...

Shh. I'm trying to block out that happened. The country should not be pronounced as the world's shortest sentence.

• Love 7

I spent the whole episode wondering where I recognized Wendi from, and Bridesmaids finally came to me after FJ.  Then I looked her up on IMDb and realized she'd been in Modern Family, too, and I never once put together that "Pam" was the woman from Bridesmaids.

She was only in one, maybe two, eps of Modern Family that I remember, playing a lesbian home decorator. I first met her via Reno 911, she had a long run there.

But, sadly, pointing to Lisbon on a map is something that would happen in a regular game these days.

Oh, man, how pitifully BAD was that? The clue might as well have started with "This five-letter, starts-with-L capital of Portugal ..."

I wish Wendi would have had some prior buzzer practice. She got buzzed out pretty much the entire game.

Mo doesn't bother me because I can't get any CBS stations so never see him. I think that's a good thing, based on comments here!

• Love 2
They all wrote their names obnoxiously.

Wendi dotted the I in her name with a tiny circle.  Which the girls back in middle school used to do, but which is over-the-top cutesy for an adult.  All three contestants mugged for the camera during introductions, which I could have done without.  Other than that, they didn't bother me, but in general player behavior doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother many others around here.

For Celebrity Jeopardy on the next go round, there should be a category called "Bewitched" Characters Whose Names End In "A." Maybe Mr. Wonderful could get those right.

Every time I watch Celebrity Jeopardy, I feel like my brain cells are dying.

• Love 2
(edited)

Wendi was explaining her other show (not sure of the name, but it's not The Goldbergs). A celebrity is in a public space, like a Costco or such, and Wendi's in another location speaking to them through a hidden earpiece. They have to say and do whatever she tells them. Hi-jinks ensue. Alex replied (paraphrasing) "Well, that will be the first time a woman tells me what to do." It was an A+ douchebag thing to say. There's was even a bit of groaning from the audience. I think she was pissed/embarrassed and it threw her a bit. The buzzer non-performance and playing against two decent competitors sealed her fate. 

I also felt sorry for her hair.

Edited by suedehead
  • Love 1

Wendi was explaining her other show (not sure of the name, but it's not The Goldbergs). A celebrity is in a public space, like a Costco or such, and she in another location speaking to them through a hidden earpiece. They have to say and do whatever she tells them. Hi-jinks ensue. Alex replied (paraphrasing) "Well, that will be the first time a woman tells me what to do." It was an A+ douchebag thing to say. There's was even a bit of groaning from the audience. I think she was pissed/embarrassed and it threw her a bit. The buzzer non-performance and playing against two decent competitors sealed her fate. 

I also felt sorry for her hair.

Woah, what a jerk!

• Love 1

I agree - he said it *wouldn't* be the first time.  It's still a dumb comment. And it sounds like a really bad premise for a TV show, too.  Letterman used to do that with Rupert, the guy who owns the deli next door.  Dave would tell him dumb stuff to say & Rupert nearly got beaten up several times.

• Love 3

I am already apprehensive for tonight's show because I don't know any of the three (I think that lady is a CBS news journalist?) and their mugging in their little intro piece last night set my teeth on edge.

• Love 1
(edited)

Thanks guys, I guess I misheard. I still think Alex is a turd.  

I saw part of a segment of the show with Leah Remini messing with a sample lady and a few customers at a big box store I thought was Costco. It was ok...cute, silly and unoffensive in a Candid Camera way. Gramdma's will think it's a hoot.

Edited by suedehead

Thanks guys, I guess I misheard. I still think Alex is a turd.

I also heard "that wouldn't be ..." but I'm in total agreement with your second sentence, Suede.

Wendi's current show is "Repeat After Me" produced by Ellen DeGeneres. Ellen often did that bit on her show, send some star into a shop or have some person come into the green room to bring lunch or whatever, when have the star say and do stupid things while a hidden camera records it. I hated that segment, so I'll never watch Wendi's show. Making people look stupid isn't in my wheelhouse of what's entertaining.

A shout out to AntiBeeSpray. I keep seeing your name as AuntBeeSpray, a reflection of me watching too many Andy Griffith reruns. I also get a laugh from JuneMeatCleaver. Yeah, that's another of my favorite rerun shows.

• Love 5

Just from seeing the segment on Ellen, Dennis Quaid was HILARIOUS with the thing in his ear, and then no one else matched him, IMO. I can't imagine it gets better as a full show.

• Love 1

I also heard "that wouldn't be ..." but I'm in total agreement with your second sentence, Suede.

Wendi's current show is "Repeat After Me" produced by Ellen DeGeneres. Ellen often did that bit on her show, send some star into a shop or have some person come into the green room to bring lunch or whatever, when have the star say and do stupid things while a hidden camera records it. I hated that segment, so I'll never watch Wendi's show. Making people look stupid isn't in my wheelhouse of what's entertaining.

A shout out to AntiBeeSpray. I keep seeing your name as AuntBeeSpray, a reflection of me watching too many Andy Griffith reruns. I also get a laugh from JuneMeatCleaver. Yeah, that's another of my favorite rerun shows.

Lol XD. Nice.

Never heard of that show before.

Not sure if I'll be watching anymore of the celeb episodes. His attitude is rather off putting.

• Love 1

I saw a part of a segment of the show with Leah Remini messing with a sample lady and a few customers at a big box store I thought was Costco. It was ok...cute, silly and unoffensive in a Candid Camera way. Gramdma's will think it's a hoot.

Oh, yeah, sounds like tons of fun - if you've never had to live through working a crappy job like that and take lip from all sorts of subhumans who don't have a celebrity microphone prompting them.  Let Wendi and Ellen (both of whom I like) hand out chucks of hot dogs in a Costco for a week and then do their segment.  I'll bet they'd have their puppet just politely say "thank you, miss" and go find a more worthy subject to harass, like a venture capitalist.

Sorry to go off topic.  I'll be the only one here who likes Mo to seal my fate.

• Love 3
(edited)

Oh, yeah, sounds like tons of fun - if you've never had to live through working a crappy job like that and take lip from all sorts of subhumans who don't have a celebrity microphone prompting them.  Let Wendi and Ellen (both of whom I like) hand out chucks of hot dogs in a Costco for a week and then do their segment.  I'll bet they'd have their puppet just politely say "thank you, miss" and go find a more worthy subject to harass, like a venture capitalist.

I've worked those crappy jobs and would gladly welcome a celebrity goofing around with me. The best I ever got was Diana Degarmo (sp? likeIcare) bumping her ample behind against me at the Wally World where we both lived (Snellville, GA, suburb of Atlanta). I was working there during a layoff and she was making a "hometown appearance" post AI.   

It didn't seem mean spirited to the employees or staff, just fun. They were confused, but laughing. Not a show I'll watch, but like I said, it had a Candid Camera feel, i.e. innocent fun.

Edited by suedehead
  • Love 1

Not sure if I'll be watching anymore of the celeb episodes. His attitude is rather off putting.

If you mean Trebek's attitude, then you should skip watching Jeopardy! altogether. He's even more condescending to "regular" people who are smart.

• Love 2

Okay, that was painful.  PAIN-FULLLLLLL.

I expected Josh Gad to be smarter and more obnoxious.  Happy he wasn't obnoxious.  With her little-girl voice and delivery, I wanted to have a discussion with Bellamy about being the smartest person in the room and affecting the non-threatening persona of a teenybopper.

Didn't recognize Penn Jillette in the teaser for tomorrow.  When did he lose so much weight?

• Love 5

Stupid Alex with his lame sexist comment, . . . Alex was such a sexist prig . . . . I still think Alex is a turd

Wow, I am obviously less evolved than others here.  I am the first to admit that I often fail to see nuances, probably because of age/insensitivity/general cluelessness, but I saw nothing wrong with that remark.  It's obviously true - he (like most people) has been told what to do by mother/older female relative/teacher etc. 

That remark was far less objectionable to me than assumptions, for example, that women don't know anything about sports. 

• Love 3

If you mean Trebek's attitude, then you should skip watching Jeopardy! altogether. He's even more condescending to "regular" people who are smart.

Fair point. Guess I've just ignored it over the years. *shrug*

Grew up watching it for the trivia tbh.

Wow, at first I just thought Bellamy Young was smart, but then she shifted into phrasing every answer into a question, like Alex said, doubting herself and that got annoying.  So was her comment/sound on every answer she didn't ring in on or after she got the answer wrong done just to psyche the other contestants...plus when she didn't know an answer she then looked or pointed at the other contestants like "you take it."  Either she was f-ing annoying or she knows how to play the game and psyche others out.

• Love 4

Silliest move: Josh moving away from the "Five Senses" $1000 clue when there was only one sense yet to be mentioned.

Most surprising TS's: OM (have they never done yoga?) and Judas Iscariot.