Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, millennium said:

Does anybody here dip their pizza in Hidden Valley Ranch creamy salad dressing (as the commercial suggests)?  Or any salad dressing?   It seems kind of ... unappetizing to me.   Pizza costs a fortune now (average $20-30 in my area for a large depending on toppings), so I'm just wondering why would anyone want to smother the taste of the pizza with salad dressing.

I don't but my wife & grandson love to dip their pizza in ranch. My disgusting habit (according to them) is having pineapple on mine.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, millennium said:

Does anybody here dip their pizza in Hidden Valley Ranch creamy salad dressing (as the commercial suggests)?

If I have any "naked" crust, sometimes.  But not any of my pizza with toppings on it, no.  This is L.A., though; you can easily order ranch pizzas (where the dressing is the sauce) here.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, millennium said:

Does anybody here dip their pizza in Hidden Valley Ranch creamy salad dressing (as the commercial suggests)?  Or any salad dressing?   

I do, but only buffalo chicken pizza in blue cheese dressing and as @Bastet said, only the naked crust (which might have a hint of sauce on it, but no cheese or chicken).

• Love 2
1 hour ago, susannah said:

It may have been reality tv but he was also showcasing his bakery.. I'd imagine that having cakes that didn't make it to destination wouldn't be that good for business. I googled this and it seems like transporting assembled is the choice of many bakers, and others don't.

I imagine he had company vans delivering his cakes as well.  But a lot of professionals do as much assembly as possibly at the venue to avoid disasters.  It depends on the type of cake.

21 minutes ago, millennium said:

Does anybody here dip their pizza in Hidden Valley Ranch creamy salad dressing (as the commercial suggests)?  Or any salad dressing?   It seems kind of ... unappetizing to me.   Pizza costs a fortune now (average $20-30 in my area for a large depending on toppings), so I'm just wondering why would anyone want to smother the taste of the pizza with salad dressing.

I don't dip my pizza into anything.  It comes with sauce and toppings.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I imagine he had company vans delivering his cakes as well.  But a lot of professionals do as much assembly as possibly at the venue to avoid disasters.  It depends on the type of cake.

I don't dip my pizza into anything.  It comes with sauce and toppings.

Same here. Plus I find ranch dressing gross. YMMV

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, millennium said:

My daughters (now late-20s) somehow picked up that habit in middle school or high school.  But just the crusts, as far as I know.  It beats throwing away a plate full of crusts and diving into a new piece (at least from a don't-waste-food perspective). 

• Love 4

I've had more than enough Olympics.   

There are only certain events that interest me and I'm tired of it being on TV all day and night.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 6

I can't comment on what teenagers do, because I don't know any that I eat with, but I have a friend in her thirties who probably would probably love that gallon of ranch that one customer gave Jake from State Farm, and I witnessed my classmate dipping his pizza in the '90s, and he may still be doing it. It's not some weird thing unique to kids.

• Love 4

The ranch and pizza thing is somewhat generational, somewhat regional, and very individual, and there are plenty who find it gross, but it's definitely common enough at this point - that's why it has been written about in food publications and endless online opinion pieces for years - that the commercial is not an odd marketing strategy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

My daughters (now late-20s) somehow picked up that habit in middle school or high school.  But just the crusts, as far as I know.  It beats throwing away a plate full of crusts and diving into a new piece (at least from a don't-waste-food perspective). 

I eat my pizza crusts. I don't understand throwing them away.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

The ranch and pizza thing is somewhat generational, somewhat regional, and very individual, and there are plenty who find it gross, but it's definitely common enough at this point - that's why it has been written about in food publications and endless online opinion pieces for years - that the commercial is not an odd marketing strategy.

I see that now.  Thank you to everyone who helped to shed light on this very curious custom and the Hidden Valley commercial.

On a personal note, the idea of smothering the umami of pizza beneath an agglutination of buttermilk and mayonnaise just makes me sad.

2 hours ago, susannah said:

I eat my pizza crusts. I don't understand throwing them away.

Neither does my dog.   Around here, they are known as "pizza bones."

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, millennium said:

Around here, they are known as "pizza bones."

Here, too.  I eat my pizza bones, unless I burn them when I reheat a slice.  Yes, I use the oven to reheat pizza -- the microwave ruins the bones.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Mmm, Canadian bacon and pineapple.

In my own humble opinion, putting pineapple on pizza is a crime against nature! 😃 My favorite is Canadian bacon, or ham, and uncooked tomato.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

I like pineapple on garden veggie pizzas too. Of course pepperoni is the topping I don't want in the same room if I'm eating a pizza, so I realize I'm an extreme outlier on the subject.

My husband loves green pepper, black olive and pineapple pizza, with sliced, uncooked tomatoes on top. I personally prefer plain cheese.

image.png.90d7490251eeda34b890bfc02981d440.png 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Gharlane said:

Not necessarily; some sushi doesn't contain seafood.

I looked up the difference for my own curiosity.  Sushi is just the way it's prepared.  Learned something new!

Webster:  Sushi is cold rice dressed with vinegar, formed into any of various shapes, and garnished especially with bits of raw seafood or vegetables

• Useful 3
On 2/16/2022 at 6:55 AM, susannah said:

In my own humble opinion, putting pineapple on pizza is a crime against nature! 😃

I don't care either way, but the problem with pineapple is that a little bit goes a long way and, like the other weird things you can put on a pizza, I get tired of it by the time I finish eating it (if I am lucky). That is one reason I eat at Uncle Maddio's. Their individual pizzas are just the right size for things like ham and pineapple or BBQ pork pizza.

On 2/16/2022 at 9:52 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

I know, as a born and bred New Yorker, that this is sacrilege.  But still . . . don't we all like ham topped with pineapple? 

No we do not. I don't like hot pineapple, and I don't like pineapple mixed with savory foods, so I'm not a fan of it on pizza. I also didn't grow up eating ham with pineapple pinned to it, though.

Depending on my mood, I'll pick off the pineapple and eat it separately, or just eat it on a Hawaiian pizza, but it would never be my pizza of choice.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, janie jones said:

No we do not. I don't like hot pineapple, and I don't like pineapple mixed with savory foods, so I'm not a fan of it on pizza. I also didn't grow up eating ham with pineapple pinned to it, though.

Depending on my mood, I'll pick off the pineapple and eat it separately, or just eat it on a Hawaiian pizza, but it would never be my pizza of choice.

What's your favorite pizza restaurant? I used to LOVE Round Table but they have gone away from anywhere near me, maybe gone altogether.

26 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Not sure but how I wish RAID and other bug sprays actually zapped the critters and made their tiny carcasses literally disappear from the face of the Earth like their commercials instead of just leaving them behind for homeowners to have to clean up and dump. 

My neighbor and I share a porch light. She swears the light bulb she put in it is also a bug zapper light.  I don't believe it - there are no carcasses below it. I'd expect to see some dead bugs if it really were zapping them.

• Love 2

My friend had a bug zapper on her patio-the smaller bugs were instantly cremated if they flew into it and the larger ones were usually pretty much destroyed with only pieces left. It made such a strange noise when it would zap the bugs-like Zap-POW! Least the poor things didn't suffer.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Last summer a wasp dive-bombed me on the back deck, and I found out that while those handheld zapper racquets don't have enough juice to instantly kill a large insect like a wasp, they definitely don't like the feeling of being stung themselves. The bug in question zipped away down the alley at top speed and didn't bother me any more.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Re: Dining at the Captain's Table on cruises/The Love Boat...

I always thought it was stupid that Stubing had his staff at his table. The Captain on cruise ships is mostly a figurehead, a PR person. The folks that pay big bucks to go on a particular cruise want to feel appreciated and special - they want to dine with the Captain. If I had paid a gazillion bucks for a cabin iwth a balcony, etc., then get invited to dine at the Captain's table and have to sit between the Captain's daughter and Gopher, I'd be pissed. Gopher should have his own table to woo the passengers into returning for another cruise.

When my mom & went on our 3-week cruise through the Panama Canal, there was a fellow passenger, a lady, who was there to meet up with her granddaughter. Her son-in-law was the assistant Captain of the ship and she told us that the Captain's job is to swan around the decks, seducing the pax into re-booking. Her SIL did all the work.  I thought she might be exaggerating, but it seemed as though she was correct.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Saw a mention up thread about before times. I do that too, the other day, I was trying to remember how long ago something happened, I thought for a minute and said, oh it happened before so it's been almost 3 years, I could remember the month, just not the year. But, we had before times, we're still during, will we ever again have after?

Re: Medicare Advantage Plans, I love mine, it's a PPO. I have Medicare and Medicaid and the Advantage Plan covers those and adds more. Last year I was hospitalized twice, non covid issues, I didn't pay a penny. My ambulance rides were covered by a payment we make monthly with our water/trash/sewer bill, less than $5/month and since my sister went to the hospital at least twice last year and I went twice, that's quite a savings. This year I added the extra coverage to my insurance, I get $150/month for healthy foods and over the counter meds, that's quite a help financially, I get 18 round trips/year to medical appts. I've used it once, it was great. I tried to use it again this week, but the transportation service screwed up the date in my reservation, however, I called my insurance contact and she stayed with me all the way to straighten out the mess and to reschedule my dentist appt and the ride to that appt. She explained to the receptionist at the dentist office and to the transportation people what the problems were, I was pretty upset because I really needed to go to the dentist, waiting a week does not make me happy. So now I know that next time I have to arrange a ride to verify the date and time with the transportation people 3 times before ending the call. I'm still a little irritated. 

So, one of the reasons when you call the 800 number to find out about the advantage plans, that they want your zip code is because coverage varies by state and plans can vary within a state by city/county. You don't want to talk New York coverage if you live in New Mexico. 

Re: phone number mix-ups, I'm reminded of Hyacinth, No! This is not the Chinese take-away, this is a private residence with a white trim line phone (or something like that, it's been a couple of years)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

When my mom & went on our 3-week cruise through the Panama Canal, there was a fellow passenger, a lady, who was there to meet up with her granddaughter. Her son-in-law was the assistant Captain of the ship and she told us that the Captain's job is to swan around the decks, seducing the pax into re-booking. Her SIL did all the work.  I thought she might be exaggerating, but it seemed as though she was correct.

Assuming this was the line of work I was interested in, I guess I'd rather be an assistant captain than a captain.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Saw a mention up thread about before times. I do that too, the other day, I was trying to remember how long ago something happened, I thought for a minute and said, oh it happened before so it's been almost 3 years, I could remember the month, just not the year. But, we had before times, we're still during, will we ever again have after?

Re: Medicare Advantage Plans, I love mine, it's a PPO. I have Medicare and Medicaid and the Advantage Plan covers those and adds more. Last year I was hospitalized twice, non covid issues, I didn't pay a penny. My ambulance rides were covered by a payment we make monthly with our water/trash/sewer bill, less than $5/month and since my sister went to the hospital at least twice last year and I went twice, that's quite a savings. This year I added the extra coverage to my insurance, I get $150/month for healthy foods and over the counter meds, that's quite a help financially, I get 18 round trips/year to medical appts. I've used it once, it was great. I tried to use it again this week, but the transportation service screwed up the date in my reservation, however, I called my insurance contact and she stayed with me all the way to straighten out the mess and to reschedule my dentist appt and the ride to that appt. She explained to the receptionist at the dentist office and to the transportation people what the problems were, I was pretty upset because I really needed to go to the dentist, waiting a week does not make me happy. So now I know that next time I have to arrange a ride to verify the date and time with the transportation people 3 times before ending the call. I'm still a little irritated. 

So, one of the reasons when you call the 800 number to find out about the advantage plans, that they want your zip code is because coverage varies by state and plans can vary within a state by city/county. You don't want to talk New York coverage if you live in New Mexico. 

Re: phone number mix-ups, I'm reminded of Hyacinth, No! This is not the Chinese take-away, this is a private residence with a white trim line phone (or something like that, it's been a couple of years)

"No, you cannot have a number 24, nor a double portion of 37. This isn't the Chinese takeaway. This is a private slimline white telephone with no connection whatsoever to any business or trade. Especially not one of foreign extraction!"

• LOL 8

Thank you Hyacinth, I haven't watched in several years. The show and my favorite, As Time Goes By, used to run on the local PBS every Sunday night, but I couldn't stay up late enough to watch them often. But then, I retired and PBS changed their schedule and dropped those 2 shows.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Thank you Hyacinth, I haven't watched in several years. The show and my favorite, As Time Goes By, used to run on the local PBS every Sunday night, but I couldn't stay up late enough to watch them often. But then, I retired and PBS changed their schedule and dropped those 2 shows.

Both of those shows are on BritBox if you do any streaming service.  I know it is harder to watch the shows you love on a fixed income after retirement. I started watching "Waiting for God" again and I love Diana. 

I watched All Creatures Great and Small on PBS and enjoyed it. Especially the Christmas episode. I'm always excited for Call the Midwife.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, friendperidot said:

We still get it on our local PBS station every (mostly) Saturday night at 7:00 and 7:30.

• Love 1

I've considered getting Britbox or Acorn, I think Acorn is the one with the Agatha Raisin stories, but for right now, I have Disney Plus, when I finish watching what I want on there, I will probably turn it off and turn something else on. Watched the Spielberg, West Side Story, last week and absolutely loved it. I don't usually care for remakes, but this was outstanding! The dialog has been rewritten and it makes so much better sense for today's movie goers, the original was a little clunky in the dialog at times. I loved how some of the songs were moved around in the order and they made good sense for the plot. I particularly enjoyed America and I Feel Pretty.

I loved Waiting for God, haven't seen that one in a zillion years, yes, Diana was great, I loved her sarcasm. I appreciate good sarcasm. I will think about adding Britbox for a while and then maybe Acorn. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, friendperidot said:

I will think about adding Britbox for a while and then maybe Acorn. Thanks for the recommendation.

Britbox has a lot of "gritty" cop stuff. You're right - Agatha Raisin is on Acorn. There's a lot of good stuff on Acorn because it also includes stuff from Canada (Murdoch Mysteries), Australia & New Zealand.  I love "800 Words" - a simple family drama in New Zealand. The title comes from the main character's job - he writes a weekly column for an Australian newspaper, but after his wife dies, he packs up the family to NZ while keeping his writing gig.  Also on Acorn, "Hamish Macbeth" - based on the books by the same woman who created Agatha Raisin.  I think you'll like Acorn better than Britbox.  (You definitely need closed captioning with Hamish Macbeth. Those highland Scots are impossible to understand by aging ears.)

I usually keep one until I've finished all I want to see, cancel it & sign up for the other, watch it til I'm done, then I move on to Netflix. By then, Acorn's got new stuff, so the rotation begins again. this time, I signed up for the year of Britbox & a few months later, re-signed to Acorn, so I've got both right now. (It ends up being cheaper if you buy the annual subscription.)  All I've got left on Acorn to watch is the new season of Murdoch, and they've just started airing that, dribbling out one episode per week.  My, how spoiled we've gotten by having our streaming dump all at once.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

All I've got left on Acorn to watch is the new season of Murdoch, and they've just started airing that, dribbling out one episode per week.  My, how spoiled we've gotten by having our streaming dump all at once.

I watch all the Murdochs on CBC, Midsomer Murders, Father Brown, All Creatures Great and Small and Vera on PBS. They also repeat Murdoch and Midsomer on Ovation.

• Love 1
(edited)

If you have Acorn, I recommend Brokenwood Mysteries, Pie in the Sky,  and George Gently if you like mysteries.

I can't find the Australian "A Place to Call Home" which I enjoyed.

Edited by nokat