Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Just read an article that says that Dollar Hot Dog Night in Philadelphia turned into a night of a LOT of hot dogs being thrown at each other.

I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked.

I went to school about an hour north of Philadelphia, and some of my best friends are fans of the Philadelphia sports teams. I remember having a conversation with one of them many years ago, and somehow the conversation ended up on the Flyers trading for Eric Lindros who refused to play for Quebec after they drafted him.

With a smile on his face, my friend recalled the first time the Flyers and Lindros played in Quebec, "They all threw pacifiers on the ice... It was awesome!"

He then followed that up with, "If I'm ever in charge of a team, I'm going to have free empty bottle night."

So yeah, shocking that cheap hot dog night ended up the way it did.

• LOL 8
7 hours ago, mojoween said:

The umps in Cleveland need to go back to remedial ump school.

I wasn't around this afternoon, so I'm watching the game now. When the announcement of the overturned call was made and said, "Cleveland retains its challenge" I'm sure the neighbors heard me yelling, "Of course they retain their challenge; THEY NEVER USED IT!" 😠 

• Applause 2
9 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Yankee (Dodger, Red Sux,et al) fans whining about injustice is so cute. 😃

What happened with the umps during Wednesday's game was bad for baseball as a whole. It's a bad precedent to have set and allowed to stand.

• Like 4

Watched the game and both Tito and another coach motioned to the umps.  It’s chaos between innings so not their fault no one on the Yankees bench noticed.  Considering the outfielder didn’t catch the ball I’m not going to feel bad that New York didn’t get to count a double play they didn’t make.

Edited by Crs97
  • Like 1

This is the biggest issue I have with all the clock stuff- it rests on the ability of the umps to do their job correctly and fairly. They have a lot of discretionary power with it.

Balls and strikes are a lot more clear cut and they can't even manage that very well.

In watching the re-air of the Yankees game, when the ump was hit by the throw from the outfield (very scary.  He’s still hospitalized!) Michael Kay said the “the head trainer for the Indians” was checking on him.

Regarding the challenge, Tito had 15 seconds.  He didn’t challenge within that time, full stop.  The umps were wrong, regardless what they said to Aaron Boone.

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Watched the game and both Tito and another coach motioned to the umps.  It’s chaos between innings so not their fault no one on the Yankees bench noticed.  Considering the outfielder didn’t catch the ball I’m not going to feel bad that New York didn’t get to count a double play they didn’t make.

Nope. Here's Terry Francona's post-game press conference. He, like Aaron Boone, was watching Kwan to see if he'd tagged up at 3rd. He specifically says that by the time it got to the point (15 secs.) he hadn't challenged.  In Boone's presser, he says he specifically dud NOT challenge the timing on Kwan because the DP call on the field went in the Yankees direction. This is all on the umpires. The Guardians did not initiate the challenge.

• Like 1

That is really odd since the camera shows both of them raising their hands, and the announcers said they were clearly signaling for a review.  I believe Tito, of course, but their motions are odd if they weren’t trying to get the umps’ attention.

He mentions that they first saw the catch on the stadium's big screen, but that was after the new 15 sec. limit. 

The problem is this new 15 sec. limit. It's the absolute worst of all the new rules. I wish they'd go back to the way it was over the past few seasons. If MLB wants to set a limit, make it 45-60 seconds; at least enough time for the video guy in the clubhouse to look at the clip. Fifteen seconds is insane. 

• Like 5

Well Twins are doing well after the first half of the 1st inning, 9-0. I think 4 home runs. I've probably jinxed them.now but it's unusual for Twins to do this well against the Yanks.

• Applause 1

The Twins triumphed, 11-2.  I like the article in the Strib tonight.

The Twins' numbers at Yankee Stadium are so lopsided, they've long since plunged into absurdity. So when confronted with comedy like their 2-16 record in this ballpark since 2017, or their 38-98 futility in the past two decades — not to mention their 13 consecutive postseason losses — what's a long-suffering visitor to do?

Fight farce with folly.

The article mentioned it was the biggest, loudest inning the Twins have had in NY in all 62 seasons, and the largest victory in 32 years.

Yes, I also think about the jinx.  We'll probably lose the next two games, scoring 0-2 runs.  Now that I've said it aloud, maybe it won't happen?

Pitch clock controversy - this article converted me pro-pitch clock immediately:

https://pebblehunting.substack.com/p/we-all-must-make-things-in-order

de74d1e3-4edb-4637-92de-893655f9e220_400

"Okay, sickos, you actually asked for this:

That’s not a screengrab, folks. It’s a 9.9-second GIF with nary a flinch, maybe the least active 9.9 seconds in sports history. Miguel Cabrera made $160 in that GIF, and the only movement around him is a brief rustle in the dugout and about two inches of lean by umpire Ben May. Before this GIF, the baserunner Jorge Polanco actually snuck out to go to a party and left a uniform stuffed with pillows and a tape recorder of himself snoring. Those 9.9 seconds of pre-pitch-clock baseball were, appropriately enough, sponsored by a wall advertisement for Miller Lite, the original boring beer.

I bet you can already guess what the next frame of that video would have been if I’d let it roll, the exciting movement that reanimated those human statues: Zimmermann stepped off the mound, to start the sequence over."

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

So far, I'm OK with the pitch clock. What I don't like is the limitation of throws over to 1st base to two with a runner on. Perhaps we can live with it for the regular season, but I'd like to see the limitation raised a bit during the playoffs and possibly the pitch clock duration increased by 5 seconds or so, with runners on in October. I don't want to see playoff games won or lost because of a pitch clock violation. 

• Like 6
On 4/11/2023 at 8:07 PM, cleo said:

I don't like the Rays but it is impressive. I think I can safely say that anyone thinking they will finally face a good team when they come to Toronto this weekend is mistaken.

We have a good lineup but our pitching sucks.

Oops!  Jays win easily....

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Unlocks some memories for me . . .  like how Jackie's number was retried at Shea Stadium, and -- IIRC -- that was the first time a number was retired there that was planned ahead of schedule. Casey Stengel's #37 was retired after her broke his hip, Gil Hodges (#14) died before the 1972 season, and Tom Seaver (#41) tried to make a comeback that wound up ending ahead of schedule.

Also, April 15, 2010, was the last time I went to see the Cubs at Wrigley (prior to the inaugural C2E2 comic convention), and I stayed at another TWoP poster's place for dinner, where I got to watch Survivor. That was the episode of Heroes vs. Villains where dumbass JT gave his hidden immunity idol to Russell.

• Mind Blown 1

RE: Jackie Robinson Day

Watching Twins @Yankees now and I like that this year, Jackie's #42 on all the players' jerseys is in Dodger Blue. I think--and please correct me if I'm wrong--this is the first season MLB is doing that. In previous seasons, #42 on the jerseys was the same color as the standard team uniform. This is a nice upgrade. (I can't recall if I got to watch Jackie Robinson Day last season, so if they did it last year, I didn't see it.)

• Like 3

I was watching Mets/A’s yesterday, and I saw a sign that they’ll be celebrating their title from 1973 tomorrow. It seems early in the season for commemorative ceremonies like that, but I’m thinking it’s because the Mets are in town.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I saw this on Twitter and thought it might make for some interesting discussions here.

To me, the back end of the 2023 Yankees' bullpen is shaky so there's only one choice, Mariano Rivera.

Screenshot_20230416_163351_DuckDuckGo.jpg

If I had access to this power I'd be really tempted to bring back some HOF  hitter from, like, the 1920s just to see what would happen when they had to face modern pitchers who are all throwing 100 mph with movement

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Jane Tuesday said:

I'm going to go with Chris Carpenter. We need starting pitching, especially if we get to the playoffs. 

Rethinking this and realizing the crazy recency bias I showed here. 

Bring back peak Bob Gibson! 

• Like 7
17 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I saw this on Twitter and thought it might make for some interesting discussions here.

To me, the back end of the 2023 Yankees' bullpen is shaky so there's only one choice, Mariano Rivera.

I think I'm going with Lou Gehrig with his lifetime batting average of .340 and OPS of 1.080. Pretty good upgrade at first base for the Yankees.

• Love 1

I'm torn on this one. Given all the stories about him that my father has told over the years, and that I only got to see him in his last season, I'd love to say Tony Oliva -- I know my dad would love to watch him one more time. Also Lyman Bostock, since he never got to HAVE a prime. In the end, though, I'd probably have to pick Walter Johnson, just so I could say I saw him pitch.

• Like 5

In his quest to ruin the game, Manfred is testing some new rules in the Atlantic league.

One of them- if the pitcher exits early so does the DH. WTF. I'm not even sure how that would work. Also so much for trying to be conscious of pitcher health.

Can't stress enough how much I hate this guy.

Edited by cleo
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • Fire 2

Astros are sponsored by Oxy. Is that not a drug? Does nobody vet this stuff lol? Giant patches and all over the field. I mean maybe it's oxy clean but that is not what comes to mind.

Would've pegged it for a Florida team tbh.

Edited by cleo
  • LOL 4
6 minutes ago, cleo said:

Astros are sponsored by Oxy. Is that not a drug? Does nobody vet this stuff lol? Giant patches and all over the field. I mean maybe it's oxy clean but that is not what comes to mind.

Would've pegged it for a Florida team tbh.

So, you made me google it - it's Occidental Petroleum.  Which is also really bad.  But...Texas... 

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
13 hours ago, ProudMary said:

The 2022 MVP robs the 2021 MVP of a long home run. Beautiful catch by Judge. 

I could watch this for the rest of my life and not tire of it.  His sheepish smile was adorable. Yes, Aaron, you *are* that amazing.

• Love 3

Great for him. Meanwhile, Max is probably going to miss at least one start, and I haven’t heard anything about Verlander.

Seriously, I’m looking online, I see an unfamiliar name as pitcher. I wonder if Syndergaard is already out of the game. No, he’s still in there, and Max left after three-plus innings. I figured he got hurt. No, he got tossed on some BS, and everyone is gonna watch him closer. 🙄

• Like 2

The YES booth was wishing happy birthday to Donny Baseball and I thought about how his career and Paulie’s overlapped, and I was wondering if outside your own team, are there any other teams that you just love?

Mine would be the 86 Mets, obvs, and the 1990 Reds.  Eric Davis and Barry Larkin were my baseball boyfriends when I was a senior.

• Like 1
On 4/16/2023 at 4:43 PM, ProudMary said:

Mickey Mantle...I saw him play at the original Yankee Stadium.  Fast.  Cannon for an arm.  Monstrous power hitter.  Too bad that injuries hindered his later years.   

Edited by grommit2
  • Like 3

Ok so this is shady as hell.  The ump who tossed Scherzer also previously ejected two other pitchers for “sticky hands” and caused them to get 10-day suspensions.

He is the *only* ump who has bounced pitchers for this violation.  Sounds like someone is too big for his britches.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, mojoween said:

Ok so this is shady as hell.  The ump who tossed Scherzer also previously ejected two other pitchers for “sticky hands” and caused them to get 10-day suspensions.

He is the *only* ump who has bounced pitchers for this violation.  Sounds like someone is too big for his britches.

That or he's the only one doing his job properly. Or both.

• Like 6

There is no objective standard for how much rosin is too much. That seems problematic.

I keep wondering how big gambling is now and how long they can keep allowing umps to make these subjective calls.

Or maybe the gambling companies don't care, but like I wouldn't be betting on games Cuzzi is umpiring. Or Angel Hernandez. And so on.

Edited by cleo
  • Like 2
17 hours ago, mojoween said:

The YES booth was wishing happy birthday to Donny Baseball and I thought about how his career and Paulie’s overlapped, and I was wondering if outside your own team, are there any other teams that you just love?

Mine would be the 86 Mets, obvs, and the 1990 Reds.  Eric Davis and Barry Larkin were my baseball boyfriends when I was a senior.

Not teams per se, but there were players I liked, like Mike Schmidt and George Brett.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

I don’t know if anyone is watching Cubbies vs. Dodgers, but losing a perfect game because your pitcher was run over by your catcher is heartbreaking.

That would have been a tough throw to first even without the catcher steamrolling Smyly. 

• Like 3
17 hours ago, mojoween said:

The Las Vegas Athletics sounds dumb.

Is there some reason that MLB won’t allow them to change the name?  Las Vegas Slots?  Cactus?  Shrimp Cocktails?  Gangsters?  Gamblers?  Haboobs?  

• Wink 1
  • LOL 2