Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

I love baseball season (duh!) because when there's nothing on TV I want to watch, there's usually a game, what with the 2 local teams/channels, ESPN and MLB Network.  So why, oh why, is it always Those Damn Yankees on the MLB Network???  

Why!!!!!?

Hate watchers. Sort of like why Duke is always on in college basketball season. No one I know likes either team, but we'll tune in to watch them lose. 😁

• LOL 2
On 5/12/2023 at 1:50 AM, Mean Machine said:

Rays could play a game under five hundred the rest of the way and still finish with 90 wins.

The 2022 Yankees started 64-28 and managed not to win 100 games. Baseball is a funny game. 

Don Denkinger passed away and this is going to be tough for Cards fans, but they seriously blame *him* for what happened in the 85 Series?

After the blown call the Royals had a single, a bunt, a passed ball, an intentional walk (I miss those so big) and a two-run single.

They still needed all three outs.  AFTER the bad call.

• Like 4
22 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I love baseball season (duh!) because when there's nothing on TV I want to watch, there's usually a game, what with the 2 local teams/channels, ESPN and MLB Network.  So why, oh why, is it always Those Damn Yankees on the MLB Network???  

Why!!!!!?

That's what I wonder also.  Also why do we get the NY coverage when they aren't the home team.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, mojoween said:

Don Denkinger passed away and this is going to be tough for Cards fans, but they seriously blame *him* for what happened in the 85 Series?

After the blown call the Royals had a single, a bunt, a passed ball, an intentional walk (I miss those so big) and a two-run single.

They still needed all three outs.  AFTER the bad call.

Pretty sure we're over it. Too busy spiraling about our poor start. 😆 

Honestly, though, his death was mentioned in the Cards subreddit and it was generally acknowledged that call didn't matter. Good guy who made a bad call. That's baseball! 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Thanks to the ESPN ticker, I found out that the only team that has been worse than the Mets since mid-April has been the A's. And I don't think they're trying to win on their way out of Oakland. The Mets are one game under .500, it's still early in the season, but I'm thinking the urgency might overtake the team before the ASG.

Heard the Mets and Phillies will be playing London next year. I've never seen those games. How messed up are they? Do they use cricket or soccer/football stadiums?

• Like 1
(edited)

When the Yankees and Red Sox played in London in 2019, they converted a soccer pitch. I’m assuming they’ll do the same next time.

ETA:  From the London Series Wikipedia article:

Locating a venue with the correct dimensions required for a baseball field was difficult, especially as the majority of stadiums in the London region are primarily designed for soccer. MLB officials had evaluated multiple options (including cricket fields such as The Oval), before finalizing London Stadium as the site.[8] The facility was originally constructed for the 2012 Summer Olympics; in late-2015, it was reported that MLB officials had measured the stadium's dimensions and considered it potentially suitable for baseball, and had negotiated the possibility of holding games there.[3][6]

MLB developed a plan to adapt London Stadium for the games to make it resemble an MLB ballpark, via installation of a new baseball field as an overlay on top of the stadium's existing running track and pitch, with a seating configuration to emulate the more "intimate" layout and fan experiences of MLB ballparks. Materials to construct the playing surface include approximately 142,000 square feet (13,200 m2) of FieldTurf, and clay for the pitcher's mound and home plate area sourced from Pennsylvania.[14] As the facility's locker rooms are smaller and suited towards soccer, larger, MLB-style clubhouses were built within the stadium.[3] As done at the Toronto Blue Jays' Rogers Centre, dimensions from home plate were posted in both feet and meters: 330 feet (100.6 m) to the foul polesand 385 feet (117.4 m) to center field, with a 16-foot (4.9 m) fence.[14] The dimensions were described as being potentially hitter-friendly.[3][15] The two points in left center and right center where the temporary fences join the wall in center field area are slightly closer than center, marked as 382 feet (116.4 m). As the roof overhangs the home plate area, there is a ground rule that balls hitting the roof are considered dead.[16]

Edited by smittykins
  • Useful 1

This is funny, ruined by the in-game interview that took the announcers focus away from the action on the field.  Also, Rich Hill and Miguel Cabrera once faced off in 2005. 

• LOL 2
(edited)

Maybe someone can explain to me baseball fans fascination with WAR.

You know what I say WAR is good for... well absolutely nothing 😅

Beyond basic stats and on base percentage stuff like that to me is a nerds wet dream that they can use to act all smarter and smug to other people 

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 6
  • Applause 2
(edited)

I will join the anti-WAR brigade!

Why, if a game is on Peacock, does it have to start at 11 in the morning?

Watching Peacock on the PS4 has a crapass picture, and there is a delay when comparing to Peacock on an iPad.  This is STUPID.

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 4

I have Peacock and I have Prime Video, so the only games I don't get are the AppleTV games. Despite the fact that those are the games with the absolute worst announcers, it still ticks me off that those games are unavailable to me. As an out-of-market Yankees' fan, I pay MLB directly for a one-team MLB.tv package that claims to give me access to ALL the games, but doesn't.

I live in the Atlanta Braves market, so I do understand that the home Yankees' broadcast is unavailable to me on those few occasions when the Yankees play the Braves. That blackout makes sense to me.

On the other hand, Peacock, Apple and Prime Video have signed contracts with MLB to broadcast games that I've already paid MLB for. Why should I have to also pay them? It infuriates me. 😡

• Like 2
  • Applause 3

As I watch the Mets rack up come-from-behind wins, I remind myself that this is a franchise where the bottom can drop out at any given moment. I also tell myself to enjoy the ride while it lasts.

• Like 4

Both the Yankees and Reds managers were tossed at different points of the game yesterday and in interviews after, they both said they were asking for explanations and the umps wouldn’t give them one.  Um, MLB?  You need to get these umps under control.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, ProudMary said:

As an out-of-market Yankees' fan, I pay MLB directly for a one-team MLB.tv package that claims to give me access to ALL the games, but doesn't.

They need to be careful with their advertising. This is the way it reads on MLB.tv:

Stream EVERY out-of-market MLB game LIVE or on demand. New and included for 2023: stream 7,000+ Minor League games. Learn more.

They could probably get away with the big capital letters word EVERY and the disclaimer underneath states Blackout and other restrictions apply; scroll down for complete details, when the blackouts were for local broadcasts and broadly available things like ESPN Sunday Night baseball. 

But when they start in with more exclusive games on Apple TV and Peacock, which are not widely available in a way that you can assume an MLB.tv customer is still likely to see the games, it's no longer EVERY game, is it?

By the way, I don't see Amazon on the list of games subject to blackout or other restrictions. 

• Applause 2
On 5/13/2023 at 6:56 PM, mojoween said:

Probably half of Cards fans I’ve met,  *still bring it up, usually prefaced with the phrase “Of course I’m over it, but..”

Surprisingly, some of these are people born after that World Series.

22 hours ago, voiceover said:

Probably half of Cards fans I’ve met,  *still bring it up, usually prefaced with the phrase “Of course I’m over it, but..”

Surprisingly, some of these are people born after that World Series.

What about ‘87, when the Metrodome beat them 4-3?

Thought about the Mets/Cubs series: what’s the point of playing in Wrigley if there’s not a day game in there?

• Like 4

Apple TV+ (the fourth way I have had to watch the Yankees in a week, streaming can go suck a duck) has analytics at the bottom of the screen during every at bat and now I’m going to burn my phone.

The City Connect uniforms are awful and the Os deserved to lose tonight just for wearing them.  So there!

I hope this isn't a weekend thing because I don't want to have to look at them in person on Sunday.

• Like 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, ebk57 said:

The City Connect uniforms are awful and the Os deserved to lose tonight just for wearing them.  So there!

I hope this isn't a weekend thing because I don't want to have to look at them in person on Sunday.

They are more of a Friday home game thing, from what I've seen of the Nationals wearing them.

Or they are Fri/Sat at home.

Edited by jennifer6973
  • Like 1

Paul O’Neill told us that Fernando Tatis Sr. once hit two grand slams in one inning off the same pitcher.  Now obvs that is amazing, but the pitcher was Chan Ho Park.  And to my old ass, I feel like Park was still pitching like, yesterday.

• Like 3

Watched bits of Mets/Rockies last night. Are all teams going to get City Connect uniforms? I thought the Mets went down 6-0 because they were distracted by the Rockies' weird green mountain unis.

• LOL 2

It's a beautiful day at the ballpark!

Especially since it looks like they're not wearing those uniforms today. At least not the black pants, which look like pjs. Hopefully the game will be better 

• Like 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Watched bits of Mets/Rockies last night. Are all teams going to get City Connect uniforms? I thought the Mets went down 6-0 because they were distracted by the Rockies' weird green mountain unis.

I think so, but I don't know the schedule for when all of them come out.   I think all teams that were supposed to get them this year have gotten them, the last team to get them this year is Pittsburgh and that isn't until June 27th.

From reading on Google, I think the rest of the City Connects will be unveiled next year.

Edited by jennifer6973
Add more info
(edited)
5 hours ago, mojoween said:

Paul O’Neill told us that Fernando Tatis Sr. once hit two grand slams in one inning off the same pitcher.  Now obvs that is amazing, but the pitcher was Chan Ho Park.  And to my old ass, I feel like Park was still pitching like, yesterday.

And IIRC, Park pitched  briefly for the Yankees.

Today’s trivia question was ridiculously easy: “These 4 future Hall of Famers played in the 1998 World Series”(Tony Gwynn, Trevor Hoffman, Mo, and Jeter).

Edited by smittykins
  • Like 1
On 5/28/2023 at 3:09 PM, smittykins said:

Today’s trivia question was ridiculously easy: “These 4 future Hall of Famers played in the 1998 World Series”(Tony Gwynn, Trevor Hoffman, Mo, and Jeter).

I was at Game 2 of that World Series. After the season the Yankees had that year, that game felt like it was a victory lap even thought it was only the second game. I have never had more confidence in any team I root for in any sport, than I did at that point in that team. 

Just thinking about it makes me dislike the current version.

• Like 2

Heads up for Mets fans: they will be inducting four people into their Hall of Fame before today's 4 p.m. game. In case you forgot, they are broadcasters Howie Rose and Gary Cohen, pitcher Al Leiter, and third baseman/occasional shortshop Howard Johnson. Pregame ceremonies should air on SNY.

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Heads up for Mets fans: they will be inducting four people into their Hall of Fame before today's 4 p.m. game. In case you forgot, they are broadcasters Howie Rose and Gary Cohen, pitcher Al Leiter, and third baseman/occasional shortshop Howard Johnson. Pregame ceremonies should air on SNY.

Hopefully the game starts on time, especially if they AL talk any amount of time.

7 minutes ago, mojoween said:

If your dangerous building hurt my foot, you should have to pay my salary while I am on the IL.

Didn't he, like, break the stadium? I think maybe the Dodgers may want to send him a bill for repairs... 😁

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2
9 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Didn't he, like, break the stadium? I think maybe the Dodgers may want to send him a bill for repairs... 😁

Hahahahaha!  Ok fine, call it even.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 3