Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Mic’d up players is already eesh, but to have the catcher do it?  When the booth doesn’t want to talk to him and distract him when someone is batting?  Is a complete waste of time.

Also ESPN can lay off the GoPro cameras on the ump’s vest any minute now, thanks.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
18 hours ago, Fukui San said:

You were talking about the City Connect uniforms a while back. The Red Sox ones make them look like IKEA employees. 
image.png.64e0350c3c2917f965d47b6361eb2b35.png

Why is there no red? Or are they Ukraine supporters?

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

The Red Sox City Connect is an homage to the Boston Marathon colors.

Thanks for the info! That is very sweet. I just wish there was a little pair of red stockings somewhere or a red outline on the letters or something.

But I'm not a Bostonian, so clearly I'm not the target audience. They are generally much better than most of the other ones I've seen. 

I'm dreading the Cardinals CC jerseys. Thankfully we don't get them until 2024... this season is already bad enough! 🤣 

Good thing I'm detached from the Mets these days. Otherwise, I'd feel lower than a sports fan in southern Florida. Or the guys that bought tickets to the Rangers/Mets games, looking to flip them when deGrom would take the mound for Texas.

Do the Mets get paid extra to blow leads? Or not cashing in on opportunities?

• Sad 2

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/37850365/some-27759-fans-flock-oakland-coliseum-reverse-boycott

On the same day the Nevada Senate voted to approve $380 million in public money for a Las Vegas ballpark for the Athletics, fans in Oakland held their long-planned "Reverse Boycott" intended to fill the Oakland Coliseum and prove their worth to owner John Fisher and Major League Baseball. The timing felt cruel in a cosmic sort of way.

It turned out to be a party without a celebration.

In the south parking lot, fans lined up three hours before the game to grab one of the 7,000 green "SELL" T-shirts provided by $39,000 in community donations and produced by Oaklandish, a local clothing company. There was a taco truck and a DJ and tables set up for fans to make their own anti-Fisher signs.

The game drew 27,759, the largest home crowd of the season and more than triple the team's home average of 8,555.

This was seen in the crowd:

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
(edited)

So Robbie wants to limit what teams spend on analytics. Guessing some people are big mad at the Rays. And just the usual owners and Manfred being tools.

Is there any other sport where they want to penalize teams for trying to win?

The Jays suck so bad, however, I don't care as much. I'm just waiting for the season to end and to see if the GM gets fired.

It's early blah blah. I've been hearing that for years now.

There's a reason I don't follow the Leafs, and I'm getting there with baseball too.

ETA I feel bad for the fans in Oakland.

Edited by cleo
  • Like 2
35 minutes ago, cleo said:

Is there any other sport where they want to penalize teams for trying to win?

All the time, really, and usually for the same reason. The game had gotten boring whilst teams searched for an edge.

Hockey legislated out the Neutral Zone trap when the Devils used it too effectively to make many games very low scoring.

Football legislated out tough defense in dozens of ways with an emphasis on defensive backs' holding and interference to encourage an offensive boom.

The NBA legislated out the handchecking and tough defense that made 2000's basketball a slog.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)

That seems comparable with the changes they made in the field, which I'm ok with. But trying to limit teams.from spending on analytics seems ridiculous to me. Let's make the game dumber! Okay.

And I guess I disagree the game is boring  

But I admit I am very anti Manfred and anti owner, I disagree with a lot of their decisions.

Anyway bw that and the Jays sucking I'm becoming less and less engaged, although I'm sure they don't care about a 40 something Canadian. I dont think I'm their target demo.

Edited by cleo
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Hockey legislated out the Neutral Zone trap when the Devils used it too effectively to make many games very low scoring.

The neutral zone trap was the sports equivalent of somebody getting in the left lane of the interstate and driving 65 MPH for 100 miles. THANK GOD they killed it. 

But trying to limit teams from spending on analytics seems ridiculous to me.

From this quote from Manfred:

"Once everybody's doing it, that little margin that maybe you're getting … I am sure that whatever that margin was at one point in time—whatever it is today—it sure as heck is not worth the damage that was done to the game over a period of time," 

It would seem that he believes that no particular team is getting any advantages over another these days, and that it's been bad for the game to the point where it's time to reign it in.

Mixed night. Chase Utley popped up again on It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia playing himself. Is it stupid for me to still be mad that he got no consequences for injuring Ruben Tejada in 2015? At least the Mets won to split the Subway Series. Of course, they're still way back behind the Crackers. Thanks to an ESPN graphic, I learned none of the teams with the highest payrolls were in first place in their respective divisions. That doesn't make me feel better by much, but it's nice because misery loves company.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Manfred has been such an unbelievable disappointment. I had high hopes when we finally got rid of the absolute disaster that was Bud Selig, but Manfred is equally as bad, just in different ways.

• Like 5
(edited)

Wait was I talking about baseball?  Never mind, I’m moving on to some other sport.  Maybe there is a fishing tournament on public access television I can watch.

Also Justin Turner is why I am glad the Steinbrenners are still in power with their draconian rules.

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 2

I've been meaning to ask this for a while . . . who else misses tickets? I like the idea of having a tangible remnant of being at the game aside from programs and other souvenirs. Nowadays, there's the Ballpark app . . . and I'm guessing it makes things go faster, but where's the fun in not getting a freshly ripped ticket back?

Mets are down 2-0 in the first inning. Yep, that tracks.

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I've been meaning to ask this for a while . . . who else misses tickets? I like the idea of having a tangible remnant of being at the game aside from programs and other souvenirs. Nowadays, there's the Ballpark app . . . and I'm guessing it makes things go faster, but where's the fun in not getting a freshly ripped ticket back?

In general I'm ok with digital it's convenient but I would have liked a paper ticket for the World Series game I was at as a momento.

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

9 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

In general I'm ok with digital it's convenient but I would have liked a paper ticket for the World Series game I was at as a momento.

Seeing as how I have almost every ticket stub from every game and every play (and a lot of concerts) that I've ever attended, it was really hard for me at first to not have them anymore.  However, I've come to the realization that I don't need them, so I'm good with digital.  My only quibble is that it's sorta a pain in the ass to share when there are other people with you that need the ticket for some reason.  Fortunately, my Sunday game party is almost always the same and we know where we're sitting.

And in the case of a ticket I do want to save (I still do this for plays because I like to attach them to my Playbills), I'll take a screenshot and print it.  

Should I ever need a World Series ticket (if only...), I'd go the screenshot route. 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

As a Met fan, I feel your pain...

At least the Mets won once this weekend. But you gotta wonder if they’ll be sellers next month instead of buyers.

• Like 1
(edited)

This Cards/Nats game is insane.  They won't call or delay it because the Cards are due to hop on a plane to London.

Nootbaar was just up, literally wiping rain off the bill of his helmet seconds before each pitch.  I'm not sure I've ever seen a game continue in this kind of rain.

eta: I don't even care if we win.  I just want to get out of here without somebody getting injured.  Damn.

Edited by Jane Tuesday
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Jane Tuesday said:

I don't even care if we win.  I just want to get out of here without somebody getting injured.  Damn.

Absolutely. That's the big thing I always worry about in a situation like that. Some days you have to wonder what the hell MLB is thinking.

• Like 3

Victor Wembanyama could swim back to France from New York City before this Yankees game ends.

German still pitching in the third inning is a hostage video from Aaron Boone begging to be fired.

• Like 3