Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I don't think it was a question that his ankle wasn't healed, it was that SF and the Mets were hesitant to guarantee a 12/13 year deal given the condition of his ankle. The Twins guaranteed less money and fewer years, this has cost Correa tens of millions of dollars.

• Like 7

Yeah my understanding is there is some concern about what they did to fix it- like whatever pins or metal bits or contraption they put into his ankle at the time to fix it- there is some concern that it is degrading or will degrade or something like that.

And if so it seems like it is not an easy fix again.

I think I got that from the Athletic podcast.

• Like 3

A lot of conflicted Pirates fans today. On one hand, we suspect that the signing of Cutch was a cynical move by our cheapskate owner to put more fannies in the seats.

On the other hand, he is so beloved by the fanbase (married a local, still owns a house in the area, named his kid Steel) that nobody is mad about it.

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, xaxat said:

A lot of conflicted Pirates fans today. On one hand, we suspect that the signing of Cutch was a cynical move by our cheapskate owner to put more fannies in the seats.

On the other hand, he is so beloved by the fanbase (married a local, still owns a house in the area, named his kid Steel) that nobody is mad about it.

I get that. He's was always one of those players that I wished was on the Phillies and was so excited when we signed him. Maybe he'll have a Pujuls type season being back in his old uniform. I definitely think he's a good guy to have in the clubhouse.

• Like 4
56 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

What happened? Usually, when ( see a post like that from you, the Yankees did something big.

No that was just me misinterpreting something I was reading in a book about Jackie Robinson, heh.  The Yankees were incidental to the story this time!

The thing that struck me is the mention of 300 baseball teams, (with no distinction between the minors and majors). With a population less than half of what we have now, That's a lot of live ball!

(Which makes sense, since you couldn't catch a game on TV.)

Edited by xaxat
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, xaxat said:

(Which makes sense, since you couldn't catch a game on TV.)

Or much of anything else, for that matter.  A long season with games every day is a lot more appealing when you don't have a TV, computer, smartphone, etc.

• Like 2

I don't get emotional about most players, but Raimel Tapia signing with the Red Sox is breaking my heart a bit. I just love the guy.

NOT ONLY did he hit an amazing inside the park grand slam in Boston, wherein Jarren Duran a) let the ball drop and b) didn't even bother to fucking run or try to get it once it landed

He also just seems like a super sweet guy. His family has a 'farm' in the Dominican, and I use quotes bc it seems like the cows are basically pets lol. They raise animals bc they love them, and they don't kill them. They only sell them if they need the money. There are pictures of him practicing his swing in a field with a bunch of cows around him. Just super cute. 

Seriously though, if you haven't seen the inside the park grand slam, it is amazing. Jarren Duran, centre field, lets the ball drop and then just fucking stands there. Meanwhile Verdugo all the way from left is busting his ass trying to reach it. While Durran just watches. 

That was such a bonkers game. Man I really miss baseball. 

Anyway, gonna break my heart watching him suit up for Boston all year. 

• Like 3

Can you help?  What are the requirements for just getting on the eligibility list? 
For example, do all players who retired 5 years ago get on the list?  Or is there a selection committee that puts the names on the list?😇

Edited by grommit2
54 minutes ago, grommit2 said:

What are the requirements for just getting on the eligibility list? 

From BBWAA Election Rules | Baseball Hall of Fame

Candidates to be eligible must meet the following requirements:

A. A baseball player must have been active as a player in the Major Leagues at some time during a period beginning fifteen (15) years before and ending five (5) years prior to election.

B. Player must have played in each of ten (10) Major League championship seasons, some part of which must have been within the period described in 3(A).

C. Player shall have ceased to be an active player in the Major Leagues at least five (5) calendar years preceding the election but may be otherwise connected with baseball.

D. In case of the death of an active player or a player who has been retired for less than five (5) full years, a candidate who is otherwise eligible shall be eligible in the next regular election held at least six (6) months after the date of death or after the end of the five (5) year period, whichever occurs first.

E. Any player on Baseball's ineligible list shall not be an eligible candidate.

In plain language, anyone who has played at least 10 seasons and has been retired at least 5 seasons is eligible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Of that list, maaaaaayyyyyybe Torii Hunter feels like a Hall of Famer.  (I mean, I know A-Rod ain’t getting enough votes)

The rest for sure would make the Hall of Really Very Good.

Rolen, Helton, and Wagner will probably be voted in, although probably not this year.

The newcomer with the strongest case is Carlos Beltran, but his role in the Astros cheating scandal will probably torpedo his chances.

• Like 1

Well, I own a Scott Rolen jersey, so I won't even pretend to be impartial. :D

One of my favorite Rolen moments... Game 7, 2004 NLCS. He homers off Clemens and the Cards head to the World Series. (We won't talk about what happens then.)

• Like 3

Aaron Judge was on Jimmy Fallon last night and Jimmy introduced him as “The Captain of the New York Yankees” and I totally got chills.  It was the first time I heard it said out loud.  This game, man.

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Aaron Judge was on Jimmy Fallon last night and Jimmy introduced him as “The Captain of the New York Yankees” and I totally got chills.  It was the first time I heard it said out loud.  This game, man.

Off to You Tube to find THAT clip! 🙂

• Like 1

John Adams, Cleveland’s #1 baseball fan who brought his bass drum to just about every home game for 48 years, passed away.  The Guardians announced it on their Facebook page.  He had been sick for awhile, and they were able to honor him during the season with a plaque at his seat.  RIP, John.

• Sad 10
41 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

John Adams, Cleveland’s #1 baseball fan who brought his bass drum to just about every home game for 48 years, passed away.  The Guardians announced it on their Facebook page.  He had been sick for awhile, and they were able to honor him during the season with a plaque at his seat.  RIP, John.

Talk about a guy who loved baseball.  The ultimate fan.  John sat through some really bad baseball over the years.  Not too many fans get their obituary on the MLB website.

John was a terrific guy and a big music fan, too. He was president of the Cleveland Blues Society for a number of years.

https://www.mlb.com/news/drummer-guardians-fan-john-adams-dies-at-71

• Like 1
  • Love 5

This loss hurts me.  I knew Mr. Adam's was sick, and hadn't appeared since 2019.

He was also inducted into the Cleveland Baseball HoF as a non-uniformed team member, even tho he was never paid by the organization. 

Edited by roamyn
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 5
  • Useful 1

I have no idea what the eventul outcome of this wll be, but it doesn't sound good.

Sinclair Broadcast’s Diamond Sports reportedly considering bankruptcy reorganization

A struggling subsidiary of Hunt Valley-based Sinclair Broadcast Group that owns regional sports networks is reportedly moving toward a bankruptcy reorganization.

Diamond Sports Group, the nation’s largest owner of cable TV sports channels that showcase more than half of all MLB, NHL and NBA teams, is considering restructuring $8.6 billion debt through a Chapter 11 bankruptcy, according to a Bloomberg report.

Edited by xaxat
  • Useful 1

Does anyone know are they doing those garbage Facebook/YT/Apple/anyone who gives us money fuck the fans games this year?

Bc Sportsnet just announced they are airing all Jays games and I'm not sure I buy it.

On 1/31/2023 at 11:42 PM, xaxat said:

I have no idea what the eventul outcome of this wll be, but it doesn't sound good.

The long term outcome of what is causing Sinclair's problems (people dropping cable and satellite video bundles), is that MLB teams need to come up with a new way to collect the broadcast rights fees. 

When Sinclair (lets use Bally Sports Detroit as the example) has to renew its deal with the Tigers to broadcast the games, it has to do the math for how much it's worth. If they paid $50M per year last time, but now they have 25% fewer subscribers and dropping 8% per year. They can only raise the price they charge per subscriber by so much.

The Tigers aren't about to say, "Oh, so we'll take less money from now on", and Sinclair isn't about to say, "Oh, we like being in bankruptcy court, so we'll pay you more than we can make back."

The Tigers are the content owners, and people do want to watch the Tigers (for some reason), so it's up to them to figure out how to get paid. 

On 2/9/2023 at 11:09 AM, Moose135 said:

This should probably go somewhere else, but the Mets have a Super Bowl ad this year, and have dropped a copy on YouTube. Funny stuff!

This is a nationwide ad? Cute stuff, even if bringing in a new acquisition feels like tempting fate. Of course, you know Steve Cohen probably ponied up the fee himself.

• Like 1

Buried in an article about Sinclair -

STARTING EXTRA INNINGS WITH RUNNER ON SECOND

The rule was adopted as a pandemic measure for the 2020 season and appears likely to stay.

“The clubs discussed the permanence of that rule. It’s got to go back to the on-field committee,” Manfred said. “Clubs have gotten used to the extra-innings rule. I think it’s generally well-liked by players. I don’t bet on anything, but if you were going to make a bet, it think it’s a pretty good bet it’s going to continue.”

I hates it I haaaaaaaates it.  Who are these players? Did they say this under duress?

• Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 3
  • LOL 1
8 hours ago, mojoween said:

STARTING EXTRA INNINGS WITH RUNNER ON SECOND

The rule was adopted as a pandemic measure for the 2020 season and appears likely to stay.

Are they talking about the 2023 season?  Shouldn’t that be decided already?

I don’t hate the rule, but the current implementation is wrong.  It should be used after a few “regular” extra innings - maybe only used after the 14th.  At that point they have played a game and a half, so to prevent injury I can justify it.  I wonder what percentage of extra-inning games go past 14?  My guess would be not many.

I could also get behind 7-inning doubleheaders only if they are the old fashioned kind, not a split doubleheader.  Two games for the price of one.  And a limited number per season - or only to be used as a make-up game.

• Like 3