Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

44 minutes ago, mojoween said:

So the Mets swapped youngish DeGrom for old-ass Verlander.  Wut.

They got the current Cy Young winner on a two-year (option on year 3) deal, rather than a guy who hasn't pitched a full season in three years on a 5+ year deal. deGrom is going to be 35 next season, not really young for a power pitcher with a sketchy injury history. I hated seeing him leave, but I really didn't like the Mets giving him a long contract like he got from Texas.

• Like 3

Woohoo! I would have been happy with the Phillies signing any of the four big shortstops  available but really wanted turner or bogarts so I am thrilled

3 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Trea Turner signing with the Phillies - big addition to an already strong Phillies lineup

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

My sympathies. Hope the Nats are better next year. 

I hope so too.

The only glee factor I have about it, is he can gloat by showing off the ring he has to Bryce, who has none and hopefully never will.

My girls are devastated since they are Dodgers fans, and have already seen two of their favorite shortstops leave (Seager the first one). I don’t know if Trea is worth that much money but good for him, and good luck with the Phillies.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

Wow...the Mets now have BOTH Verlander and Sherzer. 
Hmm...I thought there was a cap on how much a team could spend.
Oh...I know...they will not put players on the field. 
They will only have the two pitchers strike out every batter.
Ah...problem solved.  Gee...I'm so smart!

• LOL 4
6 hours ago, grommit2 said:

I think there is a ceiling, and teams spending above that get fined . . . but for a guy as loaded as Steve Cohen, that’s not a deterrent.

30 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Notification I just got:

”Giants sign OF…”

Me:  Oh shit!

”Mitch Haniger…”

Me:  Whew!

*Waits for heart to descend from throat*

I think the Giants are still short an outfielder. And they have the cash. 

Sorry, I just want the Yankees to know how it feels. They always bulky their way to get what they want. 

10 hours ago, grommit2 said:

Nope. Baseball is (I think) the only team sport where there is no salary cap. The "cap" is whatever the owners are willing to spend. 

Edit to add... there's  sort of a ceiling and teams spending above that pay a "luxury tax," but teams like the Dodgers, Mets and Yankees just laugh and pull out their checkbooks. 

Edited by Colleenna
Additional information
  • Love 1

Makes sense since those teams bring in a lot of revenue for the owners. The Dodgers have a 56,000 seat stadium that is at least 2/3 full most of the season, and they signed a 7 billion dollar  TV contract recently. They are definitely a profitable team.

Edited by twoods
35 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

The predictable end to the saga.

I think Yankee fans will end up regretting this contract, but not Yankee ownership. The revenue from merchandising, etc. will make it worth it financially to them.

In the end, as long as Judge can put up 5 or 6 good years our of the 9, the Yankees fans will get another plaque to put up in the outfield, the #99 on the wall with the rest of the guys, and we'll be okay with it. Giving Judge whatever he wanted was the right thing  to do for reasons greater than he's going to help the team win games for the next nine years.

It would be nice if the team could figure out how to build a lineup that doesn't suck around Aaron Judge at some point. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

It would be nice if the team could figure out how to build a lineup that doesn't suck around Aaron Judge at some point. 

That ship sailed earlier this week when Hal re-signed Brian Cashman for four more years of "we made the playoffs" mediocrity. I was less ticked off by the re-signing of Boone. It doesn't matter who the Manager is if the GM only wants a puppet to run the team. 

I'm glad Judge will be staying in the Bronx. I think it's important for his teammates. 

• Applause 3
9 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I hope he has a C on his uni next year as well.  As long as he doesn’t turn into Jacoby Ellsbury, we’re golden.

I think it's a lock he's the next Yankee captain.

I like that it's a long tradition to not automatically have a captain. I use the same idea in my house. We've always had a lot of pets. You have to be truly special to be named "Best Pet in the House."

We've had only two in the last 21 years. Current dog is on the right path, but he's got some issues he's got to clean up.

• LOL 3

Why is Delaware so interested in Pete Browning, a guy from Kentucky who last played in the 1890s?  Alaska's George Brett fascination is odd, but at least he's a HOF player from the late 20th century.

Edited by cambridgeguy
  • Like 1
On 12/7/2022 at 3:16 PM, ProudMary said:

That ship sailed earlier this week when Hal re-signed Brian Cashman for four more years of "we made the playoffs" mediocrity. I was less ticked off by the re-signing of Boone. It doesn't matter who the Manager is if the GM only wants a puppet to run the team. 

I'm glad Judge will be staying in the Bronx. I think it's important for his teammates. 

I'm not a Yankee fan but yeah even I'm kind of glad in a way he stayed with the Yankees.  

It would just seem really really lame to me if he took more money to play in a less competitive market.  

Edited by BlueSkies
6 hours ago, xaxat said:

I am highly suspicious  of that list. Barry Bonds, a Black man who hasn't played in decades is the most search player in Wyoming?

Or you know, Albert Pujols was close to breaking Barry Bonds record for something while he was playing the Colorado Rockies and Rockies fans in Wyoming looked up Bonds when it was mentioned during the game(s). 

12 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

MN Twins are crying this morning about Carlos Correa. 

Also according to that tweet, Pujols was the most looked up player in Minnesota, but why? He's not even American League.

Because of his announced retirement, and his sprint to over 700 career HRs down the stretch.

• Love 2

Figures the Giants would overpay for someone since they lost out on the Judge sweepstakes and had all that cash to burn. Too bad it was for a cheater. Another player who got zero consequences for his actions and now gets rewarded with a ridiculous contract. Dodgers fans are going to have fun booing him for the next 13 years.

Edited by twoods
  • Applause 6
4 minutes ago, twoods said:

Figures the Giants would overpay for someone since they lost out on the Judge sweepstakes and had all that cash to burn. Too bad it was for a cheater. Another player who got zero consequences for his actions and now gets rewarded with a ridiculous contract. Dodgers fans are going to have fun booing him for the next 13 years.

Yeah, the Dodgers intentionally passed on him based on his history. They knew it wouldn't go over well with the fans. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Yeah, the Dodgers intentionally passed on him based on his history. They knew it wouldn't go over well with the fans. 

The Dodgers signed Trevor Bauer and didn't care as long as he could win games.  If they had signed him and he played well all of those Dodger fans would have cheered - hey, everyone makes a mistake, it's all in the past, etc.

• Like 1
  • Love 1