Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

31 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

The Dodgers signed Trevor Bauer and didn't care as long as he could win games.  If they had signed him and he played well all of those Dodger fans would have cheered - hey, everyone makes a mistake, it's all in the past, etc.

Maybe they learned from their mistake? 

1 hour ago, cambridgeguy said:

The Dodgers signed Trevor Bauer and didn't care as long as he could win games.  If they had signed him and he played well all of those Dodger fans would have cheered - hey, everyone makes a mistake, it's all in the past, etc.

Uh, no, not all of us would have, and I think the reasons for why Correa and Bauer are loathsome aren't particularly analogous anyway.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Is this Devers last year before free agency? I figured they want to let him walk. Would then have a year with Turner (23-24) before transitioning to someone else......? 

I don't know, I don't follow the team that closely but I have been wondering about Devers. 

ETA actually if this is his last year and they don't want to sign him, they could even trade him this year. Then use Turner as a fill in. 

Edited by cleo

This is starting to reflect poorly on Boras imo. After the Giants thing went south- ok who could've predicted it.

But for him to not make sure all questions were answered by the Mets with the physical before proceeding, was really dumb. I know it's usually a formality and these deals are usually announced before they're done but I would have been more cautious with the media the second time around before making announcements about how there was zero health issue and acting like it was a fait accompli.

• Like 3

Will Boras cave if the Mets try to restructure? I don't see how he has any choice, no team will sign Correa to a long-term deal if the Mets balk.

ETA: 

This is starting to reflect poorly on Boras imo.

How? The owners already despise him, his rep can't go any lower.

Edited by AimingforYoko
  • Like 3

I'm sure his rep could go lower lol.  Among owners and players.

ETA but really I was referring to his competence. Love him or hate him, he usually gets good deals for his players. Regardless of how it turns out, this has been bungled twice now publicly. 

Edited by cleo
  • Like 1

His rep will go down if he isn't able to get his clients the best contract possible.  If he can do that then who cares if the owners have his face on their dartboards. 

If this does fall apart I could see Boras going for a shorter deal but with a higher AAV to save face.

A question for you...
Major League baseball has NO salary cap.
So, a team can sign players for stratospheric salaries.
But, there is a tax they must pay each year they exceed some max limit.
So, the question: Does this favor the uber-rich teams (Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox) who are often willing to pay whatever it takes to get a player?
And does this put the "small market" teams at a severe disadvantage?

1 hour ago, grommit2 said:

A question for you...
Major League baseball has NO salary cap.
So, a team can sign players for stratospheric salaries.
But, there is a tax they must pay each year they exceed some max limit.
So, the question: Does this favor the uber-rich teams (Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox) who are often willing to pay whatever it takes to get a player?
And does this put the "small market" teams at a severe disadvantage?

Absolutely, which is why fans of those small market (or just cheaper) teams whine and complain whenever a team like the Yanks swoops in and buys that expensive FA.  However, the luxury tax threshold is actually pretty high - it was 230 million in 2022.  Needless to say, many teams were quite content to stay well under that number.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, cleo said:

I don't have an issue with how much teams choose to spend. I just don't think it's any guarantee of success.

But it sure helps.

My big issue isn't with the payroll spending at the top end, it's payrolls at the bottom. I've read that local and national TV contracts will net each team a minimum of $60 million this season. That's before naming rights, revenue sharing, ticket revenue etc.

Spotrac is projecting a total payroll of $58 million for the Pirates. I'm not saying they should sign someone to a Carlos Correa sized contract, but if you haven't managed to find talent worth more than Jason Kendall, who the team signed almost a quarter of a century ago, then something is deeply wrong.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

Agreed. Not to mention the streaming and sponsorship deals now that have just started and will only grow. Although I'm not sure how the pot is split with those deals- the special/awful Apple games. I dont think it's a lot of money yet- but I could be wrong, I can't recall - but it's going to grow.

7 hours ago, xaxat said:

But it sure helps.

My big issue isn't with the payroll spending at the top end, it's payrolls at the bottom. I've read that local and national TV contracts will net each team a minimum of $60 million this season. That's before naming rights, revenue sharing, ticket revenue etc.

Spotrac is projecting a total payroll of $58 million for the Pirates. I'm not saying they should sign someone to a Carlos Correa sized contract, but if you haven't managed to find talent worth more than Jason Kendall, who the team signed almost a quarter of a century ago, then something is deeply wrong.

^^^This.

I've said this before but there NEEDS to be a salary FLOOR initiated. There are some small market teams that try, but most of the owners that receive the luxury tax revenue from the big spending teams pocket the revenue instead of putting it back into the team. 

• Like 12

I just read an article that a number of MLB umpires are retiring this year. I jumped for joy when I saw Nauert on the list.....

Only to come crashing back to Earth when I saw that Angel Hernandez is NOT on the list. Dammit. 

• LOL 3
On 1/8/2023 at 8:26 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

White Sox closer Liam Hendriks has been diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma. Hoping for a full recovery and return to baseball. ❤️

Liam is just one of my all time favourites.  He was wonderful for the Jays and I have always wanted him back.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay