Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, theatremouse said:

The latter isn't amazing because he has similar stats from basically every year he's played. 

Although he did get the W yesterday.

Yeah, he got some run support yesterday. Not much, but when you throw shutout ball, you don't need that much. 

A Rod talking about Red Sox manager Alex Cora "When he was away last year suspended by the league for participating the in the biggest scandal since the steroid era . . . FTFY

Fox used a computer graphic featuring King Kong climbing the Empire State Building to illustrate how the Yankees' quest to get their 28th title had stalled out in the past decade.

They do realize how that movie ends, don't they?

• LOL 6
1 hour ago, bosawks said:

Today’s Phillies game had something for everyone.

Thank god because it took up ALL of my Sunday….

I was following on my phone because I was at a birthday party and was confused why there was a delay because it was beautiful and then saw the netting fell

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
On 6/5/2021 at 5:34 PM, cleo said:

Is there a logical reason fans boo Altuve and not Correa or Bregman? Or mostly Altuve? It's really a noticeable difference 

I would guess because Altuve cheated his way to the MVP in 2017.

I’ve never much made the clarion call for robot umpires but I have changed my mind.  Did an absolutely outrageous third strike call cause the Yankees to blow the lead in the innings before?  Of course not.  Did it take away any possible chance for Todd Frazier to drive in one runner from the loaded bases?  Fuck yes it did.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

I’ve never much made the clarion call for robot umpires but I have changed my mind.  Did an absolutely outrageous third strike call cause the Yankees to blow the lead in the innings before?  Of course not.  Did it take away any possible chance for Todd Frazier to drive in one runner from the loaded bases?  Fuck yes it did.

If it had been an outrageous ball-four call that drove in a run from the loaded bases for the Yankees, would you still feel the same way?

Edited by Moose135
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Moose135 said:

If it had been an outrageous ball-four call that drove in a run from the loaded bases for the Yankees, would you still feel the same way?

I would have been ecstatic with the win, but I think I would have been still put out by the terrible call (that ump was terrible all night).

• Love 4

I live in Syracuse but report to an office in Orlando, and one of my teammates is the sister of the AL Player of the Week, and I feel like this means that basically he and I are best friends.

• LOL 11
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, mojoween said:

I would have been ecstatic with the win, but I think I would have been still put out by the terrible call (that ump was terrible all night).

Was it Angel Hernandez again????

• Love 2

I heard an interview with ex Pirate Neil Walker who said last year, when there were no crowds, there were times when he could hear the tackiness of the ball as it came out of the pitcher's grip.

Yuck.

I love Aaron Judge showing out when Ryan Ruocco is calling a game because Ryan gets SO excited and it makes it so much fun to listen to.

Speaking of the Pirates, I saw a meme today that said something like there is nothing sadder than the Pirates relationship with first base and it made me laugh and then go AWW.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Speaking of the Pirates, I saw a meme today that said something like there is nothing sadder than the Pirates relationship with first base and it made me laugh and then go AWW.

Thanks for the laugh; I needed it!!! 🤣😂🤣😂

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Allergic reactions. it will get better as we head into summer.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Is anyone else irritated by seeing corporate logos on the pitching mounds? It was bad enough when they were advertising on the foul poles. At least the cameras aren't on the foul poles 95% of the time. I think it's really tacky.

• Love 8
(edited)
On 6/7/2021 at 12:27 PM, mojoween said:

I get FEROCIOUSLY angry at Umpires making terrible strike calls even when the call goes my team's way.  I've been pro robot umpires since somebody first whispered the idea.  It's insane to depend on subjective opinions when it comes to objective fact.  We can all see the actual strike zone on the television. Oh, I get so damn riled up!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Is anyone else irritated by seeing corporate logos on the pitching mounds? It was bad enough when they were advertising on the foul poles. At least the cameras aren't on the foul poles 95% of the time. I think it's really tacky.

Half the time, I can’t even tell what the ad is supposed to be for.

• Love 4

Have.....have the current Padres broadcast team never covered a game at Citi Field before? They're chatting some nonsense about "must be a giveaway; they couldn't have all coordinated their shirts; but a giveaway in just that section?" and sounding genuinely puzzled. The 7 line army have been out in that section all wearing orange Mets shirts for years. I mean, I get these two dudes work for the Padres and not the Mets, but being at a Mets home game and not noticing them is like not noticing the fountains at Kauffman Stadium. Like, come on dudes, that's always there.

• Love 8

From Deadspin: Bartolo Colon, 48, pitches complete game in the Mexican League.

On 6/12/2021 at 6:12 PM, theatremouse said:

Have.....have the current Padres broadcast team never covered a game at Citi Field before? They're chatting some nonsense about "must be a giveaway; they couldn't have all coordinated their shirts; but a giveaway in just that section?" and sounding genuinely puzzled. The 7 line army have been out in that section all wearing orange Mets shirts for years. I mean, I get these two dudes work for the Padres and not the Mets, but being at a Mets home game and not noticing them is like not noticing the fountains at Kauffman Stadium. Like, come on dudes, that's always there.

. . . maybe? Figure that if those are the same guys as in 2019, it would have been two years for them to forget about the 7 Line.

I haven't been paying attention to the Yankees' tailspin. Is it really that bad? I've been more focused on the Mets, a team where even the best moments can be cruelly undone . . . . sometimes within minutes.

Oh my goodness.
I am shocked...shocked I say, that professional baseball pitchers have stooped so low that they are using sticky stuff on the baseball.  How can that be?  These are all good, clean, honest athletes participating in America's Pastime.  Oh...this just can't be!   😜😜

• LOL 6

I honestly don't care about it. MLB allowed it for a long time. The fact that Manfred is now making rules about something that will pit pitchers against hitters just before the CBA is not lost on me.

I mean maybe MLB should have done something about this issue- but the way they're handling it is terrible and possibly deliberately terrible. 

• Love 8

I think that the difference now, with sticky stuff like Spider Tack, and historical stuff like sunscreen, rosin, nail files etc. is that the new stuff is a magnitude better than anything the game has seen before. This is what Trevor Bauer said.

“It could be a huge advantage. Just look at the numbers of fastball spin rates. Two years ago, there was an article talking about Scherzer and his elite fastball spin rate. It had a table of, if you spin the ball 2,000–2,200 rpm, if you spin it 2,200–2,400 RPM, etc; Look at the hard-contact percentages. Look at the swing-and-miss percentages. Look at the averages and stuff like that. That’s just on fastballs. The affects on curveballs and sliders have been documented as well. That research is out there. Basically, if you keep the same spin axis and increase the RPM on the ball, the ball moves more. And hitters hit the league-average pitch — what they’re used to seeing night-in and night-out. So, if you have something that’s multiple standard deviations away from league-average movement or league-average spin rate, it’s a lot harder to hit, because the hitter can’t track the ball the last 15–20 feet. It moves too fast. So, they’re swinging basically blind the last 15–20 feet. So, it moves you off the barrel. It moves you above the barrel, below the barrel. It’s just harder to hit, which has a massive affect on pitcher’s season numbers and then financial compensation down the road.”

It's the equivalent of hitters having an aluminum bat indistinguishable from wood.

(edited)

(watching Cubs/Mets on SNY)

”Man, deGrom is rocking tonight. Three perfect innings, eight strikeouts, and he drove in another run. Everyone’s chanting ’MVP! MVP!’ You gotta treasure these moments.”

(deGrom leaves the game)

”There we go. Like Murphy’s Law got caught in traffic and just got to the stadium now.”

ETA: Cubs are on the board with a homer. Better get the fingers ready, because the dike will be leaking harder. Also, WTF is up with the pitcher’s mustache?!? 

Edited by Lantern7

@ebk57 My only consolation with the Jays dumpster fire is at least your guys have been getting some wins. 

I haven't been watching but it's the right time of season for the Jays to melt down. Usually by May I switch to the Dodgers but having a hard time stomaching Bauer. Will watch the San Diego series maybe.

• Love 1
(edited)

This cracked me up. I know that Galvis played in Toronto after the played for the Phillies but did he play with Vladdy Jr. If so it's even funnier.

Edited by shoregirl
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, cleo said:

@ebk57 My only consolation with the Jays dumpster fire is at least your guys have been getting some wins. 

I haven't been watching but it's the right time of season for the Jays to melt down. Usually by May I switch to the Dodgers but having a hard time stomaching Bauer. Will watch the San Diego series maybe.

Never post before the game is over...  😄

I'm consoling myself by thinking that if we'd won today there would be no way we'd win tomorrow when I'm there.  So now... we still won't win, but a girl can dream... 

• Love 3

Lol @ebk57 I know I'm sorry. I was like- I jinxed it for her! Hope you have a nice day tomorrow anyway. I might watch.

@shoregirl I can't remember if Galvis played with Vladdy or not. I like Galvis. It was an accident- Manoah has no control and has had near misses in exactly that spot in every game. But he shouldn't have started walking in.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, shoregirl said:

This cracked me up. I know that Galvis played in Toronto after the played for the Phillies but did he play with Vladdy Jr. If so it's even funnier.

This is hilarious thank you for posting.

After consulting Wikipedia, it looks like Freddy and Vladdy played together from April to August 2019.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, cleo said:

Lol @ebk57 I know I'm sorry. I was like- I jinxed it for her! Hope you have a nice day tomorrow anyway. I might watch.

@shoregirl I can't remember if Galvis played with Vladdy or not. I like Galvis. It was an accident- Manoah has no control and has had near misses in exactly that spot in every game. But he shouldn't have started walking in.

I can't believe Galvis only played for the Jays for a few months?????? I consider myself such a fan of his!  Loved him when he was on our team.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I can't believe Galvis only played for the Jays for a few months?????? I consider myself such a fan of his!  Loved him when he was on our team.

I liked Freddy when he was with Phillies too. He ultimately replaced Jimmy Rollins (after he was traded to the Dodgers) which could not have been easy. 

MLB has been airing the Phillies/Giants series exclusively on Peacock with a combined broadcast team. Jon Miller and Mike Krukow from the Giants and Jimmy Rollins and John Kruk from the Phillies. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, shoregirl said:

I liked Freddy when he was with Phillies too. He ultimately replaced Jimmy Rollins (after he was traded to the Dodgers) which could not have been easy. 

I remember the one game  when Ichiro pitched for the Marlins, the look on Freddy’s face when Ichiro dropped the curve on him was priceless!

• LOL 1

Yeah baseball games is about the only time I see my father. We're not very close so it was the one thing we both enjoyed.

I thought maybe Sept but now 2022 is my guess bc Shapiro has basically said it takes a long runway to get Rogers Centre ready and I just don't see it happening this yr.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Which pitcher's feat is more amazing: DeGrom's .50 ERA (5 more scoreless today) or Ohtani's 23HRs?

DeGrom was on the mound today and Mets' announcer Gary Cohen noted that Ohtani had two hits while DeGrom had 11 as a pitcher.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Which pitcher's feat is more amazing: DeGrom's .50 ERA (5 more scoreless today) or Ohtani's 23HRs?

deGrom has given up 4 earned runs this season. As a batter, he has driven in 6 runs...

(edited)

I think Ohtani is clearly leading the most impressive pitcher category, because with those HRs he also has a 2.7 ERA and plays right or left field when he’s not pitching. I honestly don’t know how he does it and am afraid he’s going to get fatigued, especially now that he’s doing the HR derby.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

OMG I hate the ESPN announcers. If you don't want to talk about the game pls STFU. I can stand it until the 5th inning and then I start to lose my mind.

Whew had to get that off my chest. 

• Love 5