Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I felt unfinished after hearing Greeny’s tease of the top five catchers, so I watched the replay of Wednesday’s show to find out.  If anyone is interested, here it is.

5.  Roy Campanella

4.  Pudge Rodriguez

3.  Johnny Bench

2.  Yogi Berra

1.  Josh Gibson

Also I just found out today that Yogi Berra was not a first ballot Hall of Famer so either voters back then were CRAZY or voters now are too lenient.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

The medical journal STAT published this article on the Yankees outbreak.

5 pressing questions about the New York Yankees’ breakthrough Covid-19 infections

Eight members of the New York Yankees organization who were fully vaccinated against Covid-19 tested positive for the coronavirus this week. And that news has led to a lot of people saying, wait, what?

Below, STAT outlines what we know about the cases and some of the factors that might have contributed to the cluster.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 5/12/2021 at 9:17 PM, cleo said:

Has any team reached that vaccination threshold MLB set, the one where they could relax protocols?

The Indians have. Last night was the first game where they all went maskless.

On 5/13/2021 at 7:41 PM, Fukui San said:

I guess French Kissing Night at The Stadium wasn't the best idea.

No, I don't think the Kiss Cam will be back anytime soon (fine with me)!! 😂

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Ring chasing. If it works out not a bad way to end an HOF career.

Yeah, but didn't he already win the WS with the Cardinals? (Not that there's anything wrong with wanting to go for another.)

I suspect his choices were get playing time on a crappy team with a big hole at first or ride the bench with a contender. 

Besides, you can never have too many rings.

bill+russell+rings.jpg?savepath=bill%2Br

• Love 7

The Orioles have apparently sold many tickets to Yankees fans, as Luke Voit has been serenaded with both “Luuuuuuuuuuke” and one amusing fan last night called out “use the Force Luke!” when he stepped into the batters box.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The Orioles have apparently sold many tickets to Yankees fans, as Luke Voit has been serenaded with both “Luuuuuuuuuuke” and one amusing fan last night called out “use the Force Luke!” when he stepped into the batters box.

You sound somewhat surprised by this.  Have you never heard that Camden Yards is Yankee Stadium (or Fenway, depending...) South?  This is why the first game I'm going to this season is Memorial Day - all of the weekends this month are either Yankees or Saux games and...no thanks. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, smittykins said:

Is it just me, or is anyone else’s  MLB At Bat notifications showing up ahead of the action on the screen?

Mine almost always does this if I'm watching through my TV with the big cablebox/dvr, but if I'm watching on one of the TVs with a mini-box, it does not. Except I guess it's really that TV is always 2-3 seconds delayed on the former device vs the latter.

• Love 1

“Hey, the Mets scored another run. Lemme rewind and see how they did itOH FUCK! RIGHT IN HIS FACE!!”

I’m sure a few people watching on ESPN were always curious about watching a guy bleed on the batter’s box.

• Love 2

Poor Pillar, really sucks. I was reading some of his stats- not too bad the last couple yrs. I didn't think he had much left in the tank after he left the Jays.

It is scary when you see it live- I saw Josh Donaldson take one in the face. 

• Love 3
(edited)

The Tigers Spencer Turnbull has a no-hitter through 8 and the announcers are actually talking about it, and not in a roundabout way.  Straight out “Turnbull has a no hitter”, not the subtle “the only base runners have gotten there by walks” kind of stuff.  I guess they don’t believe in the old “don’t talk about it” curse.  I am rather surprised.

eta: He got the no-hitter, so I guess there is no curse.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

It didn't really sit right that one day after Pillar gets drilled in the face TLR was like, yeah go ahead hit my boy.

Apparently he thinks breaking rules like don't drink and drive is a-ok though.

• Love 5

I hope those Sox players break every damn unwritten rule and make LaRussa's head explode.

The Mariners got no hit for the second time in the month of May last night. The team batting average is now .199. 

• Love 5

I could understand LaRussa if it was an inside-the-park homerun, figuring the possibility of injury by running full tilt.  But under the circumstances, what was he supposed to do - try to swing & miss?  Isn’t there an unwritten rule about that?  There should be, IMO.

• Love 5
(edited)
13 hours ago, mojoween said:

Yesterday - Ho-hum, another no-hitter

Today - the no-hitter is the greatest feat in all of baseball

Maybe the Mets can get one. Given all the injuries, the pitcher that would do it is probably deep in the minors right now. It's a pity Tim Tebow bailed out when he did . . . the Mets' njured list is overflowing right now.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
(edited)

Why do the Astros keep dropping down halfway down the second base line and try to slide to about a quarter of the way to the base, instead of trying to break up double plays?  I've seen it in last night's game and today's.

Edited by RedElf
  • LOL 1
8 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Maybe the Mets can get one.

They just need to play the Mariners, although maybe it doesn't really count when you do it when your opponent's team batting average is under .200

• Love 1

CC Sabathia went off on La Russa.

"Tony La Russa is out of touch with the game, cuz," Sabathia said. "He should not be managing one of the best teams in the American League period. The fact that Tim Anderson, basically the captain of their team, had to go on Instagram and step up for his teammate like, 'Yeah, the game wasn't over.'" 

And that's the mildest part of his criticism.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

I don’t remember who MadBum pitched against, but of the six “official” no-hitters it’s only three teams (Rangers, Mariners and I think Cleveland).

The Orioles also.  John Means had one.

Unless you mean the three teams that got no hit.  Then ignore.

3 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

The Orioles also.  John Means had one.

Unless you mean the three teams that got no hit.  Then ignore.

Oops!  Yeah, I left out the word against.

• Love 1
(edited)

Baseball is a sickness.  I watched the game this afternoon on the app.  After work, I started to clean up some shows on the DVR.  When S.W.A.T ended, the TV was on YES.

And now here I sit, watching the replay of the game I already watched four hours ago.

Edited by mojoween
  • LOL 10
(edited)
On 5/19/2021 at 11:33 PM, RedElf said:

Why do the Astros keep dropping down halfway down the second base line and try to slide to about a quarter of the way to the base, instead of trying to break up double plays?  I've seen it in last night's game and today's.

That's the rule!  At least they do *that* by the book.

15 hours ago, mojoween said:

Baseball is a sickness.  I watched the game this afternoon on the app.  After work, I started to clean up some shows on the DVR.  When S.W.A.T ended, the TV was on YES.

And now here I sit, watching the replay of the game I already watched four hours ago.

There's a really cool feature here (on cable in Canada) called "Jays in 30".  Or "Raptors in 30".  You get the picture.  They condense every game down to 30 minutes and play it every 30 minutes starting at around midnight.  If I can't watch the full 3 hours or I need to watch it really late, or the next day, I'll watch that instead.  And of course, I have so many complaints about the editing.  It's so freaking arbitrary and annoying.  I want to see how every single Blue Jay gets on base.  Sometimes they'll start an inning partway through and there will be 3 players on base and I'll be like ???????? but they'll show the opposing team striking out (to highlight our pitching, I guess).  But hey, hard to complain.  I have no idea how they have the money and the people to edit this.  

So that was a long way of saying sometimes if it's a really good game I'll watch both.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, RedElf said:

You can't break up double plays?

I don't know what the exact rule is, but after Chase Utley I've definitely noticed that players take the new rule very literally and stop about halfway down the baseline and drop to the ground when they know a double play is happening.  It looks hilarious, but it's also a lot safer, so I prefer it.

• Love 1