Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

In his years with the Indians, Trevor had "Twitter wars" with several players on other teams. Maybe it's just because I'm female, but I don't understand the trash talk and such. Too bad MLB (really sports in general) isn't doing more to combat sexism, but that's a whole different post for another day.

• Love 2
(edited)

I do think Bauer and Syndergaard (?) don't like each other. The thing is Bauer is an all around asshole. It was on display, publicly, for a long time. 

So given Bauer, Cosby, Porter I just need to move on to something light.

Remember I criticized ESPN announcers? I take it all back. Because the Jays game tonight is exclusively YouTube and I only lasted ten minutes. I prefer YT to FB but JFC hire some decent announcers MLB you have BILLIONS. These guys are not going to attract the young fan you're so desperate to reach.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 5
(edited)

The Indians just cannot catch a break - unless it is a potential physical one. Jose Ramirez managed to foul a pitch off his own face!! He was taken out of the game as a precaution. Catcher Roberto Perez fouled a ball off his throwing hand in his rehab assignment and was also taken out for precautionary reasons. Good grief. 😳

Edited by catlover79

Holy shit the Trevor Bauer story gets even wilder.

The pair first met on Instagram and, after messaging back and forth, on April 21 the woman said she drove from San Diego to Los Angeles to meet Bauer. After conversing, they had sex which she described in the report as initially consensual, which involved Bauer asking the woman if she had ever been choked. She responded yes, “meaning that his putting his hands around my neck and applying light pressure.” She alleges Bauer then began putting his fingers down her throat in an aggressive manner to which she asked him to stop. “He stopped, but then without asking me or telling me in advance, he wrapped my hair around my neck and choked me,” the report states. “I lost consciousness.”

The woman says she did not know how long she was unconscious.

“I woke up face down on the bed, disoriented. I began realizing that he was having sex with me in my anus, which I never communicated that I wanted, nor did I consent,” the woman said in her official declaration attached to the requested order.

12 hours ago, cleo said:

Because the Jays game tonight is exclusively YouTube and I only lasted ten minutes.

Back in April there was a YT exclusive game for the Nats.

I was not a fan, and I hoped that they wouldn't do it again. Boy was I wrong!

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The Yankees game has been postponed for today, which means they can now sit around AND THINK ABOUT WHAT THEY DID.

Seven runs in the ninth. You have my sympathies. But now I’m hoping it pours down in Atlanta, so deGrom can pitch at home against the Bombers.

Hey, the Yankees did shell Ohtani out of the game in the first inning. Silver lining? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Hey, the Yankees did shell Ohtani out of the game in the first inning. Silver lining? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I mean, I was not at all displeased about that part.

But that push notification when I woke up…WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Funny how the Mets gave up twenty runs last night, and the Yankee's collapse was bigger news. This is what I got on the back cover this morning. Obviously, this wasn't the final edition.

E5LgUnSWEAAryEK?format=jpg&name=900x900

So, natch, the Braves get three runs off deGrom tonight. The good news is that he was stellar the rest of the night, his ERA only ballooned to 0.95, and the Mets managed to rally. But the Cobb County Crackers walked it off in the ninth.

As much as I don't want to see a few Yankees fans going on ledges, I still want the Mets to kick Bomber butt this weekend.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 3

WTF hasn't MLB put Bauer on leave while 'investigating the allegations? Isn't that the normal process? Even if they don't want to interfere in the criminal matter, can't they still go through the process of putting him on leave while the investigation  is ongoing based on the DV Policy? 

Did they issue a statement? I mean what in the ever living fuck.

I'm not saying they have to act like he's guilty but aren't they supposed to respond to this shit and go through a process? 

Completely ridiculous. I'm pretty sure action was taken faster than  this when it was Osuna. 

Ozuna- can't recall- did they ignore that too.

Honestly people criticize football and hockey, I think the baseball boy's club and culture  is much worse tbh. And that's saying something.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, cleo said:

WTF hasn't MLB put Bauer on leave while 'investigating the allegations? Isn't that the normal process? Even if they don't want to interfere in the criminal matter, can't they still go through the process of putting him on leave while the investigation  is ongoing based on the DV Policy? 

Did they issue a statement? I mean what in the ever living fuck.

I'm not saying they have to act like he's guilty but aren't they supposed to respond to this shit and go through a process? 

Completely ridiculous. I'm pretty sure action was taken faster than  this when it was Osuna. 

Ozuna- can't recall- did they ignore that too.

Honestly people criticize football and hockey, I think the baseball boy's club and culture  is much worse tbh. And that's saying something.

Sam Fels of Deadspin agrees with you on this. Needless to say, I’m glad the Mets passed on that asshole.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Sunday could be ugly. I hope the Dodgers and MLB realize that fans do not have to adhere to the principal of "innocent until proven guilty."

Sure, he might get a lot of verbal abuse from the Nationals fans but the real question is, if this game was at Dodger Stadium what would the response be?

• Love 2
19 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Obviously, this has not been a good week for Josh Naylor, but he did get a bit of good news. His younger brother, Bo Naylor, will be representing the Indians at the All Star Futures Game.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cleveland.com/tribe/2021/06/catcher-bo-naylor-will-represent-cleveland-indians-at-all-star-futures-game.html%3foutputType=amp

Here is a picture of the brothers at a spring training press conference:

20210629_204029.png

Damn Josh looks really cute in this pic!

3 hours ago, cleo said:

Surely seems like he's getting special treatment that other players in the same boat didn't get!

• Love 2
(edited)

Well at least they finally acted.

Will never forget Rosenthal writing about how Bauer was a great clubhouse guy when he was in free agency. I didn't know who he was talking about 

Edited by cleo
  • Love 2

This Trevor Bauer stuff is why I've often rolled my eyes when people in the media would say, "Why can't you be like this guy, or be like that guy?" while ripping on a controversial star.  It's annoying to me because the guy that the media suggests you try to idol and adore may not be the nicest person out there.

Personally, I idol family members (living and no longer living) before any celebrity or athlete.  There are the stars that truly are good people but beyond that, no one knows the stars

• Love 3

The Marlins' Pablo Lopez was kicked out of the game after the first pitch for hitting Ronald Acuna Jr. It's the fifth time a Marlins pitcher has hit Acuna.  When Mattingly came out to argue, he was kicked out, too.

(edited)

I like the O’s but damn is Ohtani ridiculous. He singlehandedly won the game for the Angels. This is definitely a once in a lifetime player, and it sucks he’s on a team that doesn’t get much press because he would definitely get more fanfare if he was a Yankee, Dodger or Red Sox. It’s a shame the Angels have the two best players in baseball and will likely miss the playoffs again. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, RedElf said:

The Marlins' Pablo Lopez was kicked out of the game after the first pitch for hitting Ronald Acuna Jr. It's the fifth time a Marlins pitcher has hit Acuna.  When Mattingly came out to argue, he was kicked out, too.

That was not intentional. The ejections were bullshit. 

(edited)
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Surprise doubleheaders also being seven innings is stupid.

If the Yanks are going to shit the bed I want a full 18 innings, dammit.

I was going to ask about that. Is this a day/night doubleheader? Play the game, empty the stadium, then play again?That’s not good. I know ESPN had the original game tonight. Wouldn’t it be simpler to find an off day for both teams?

Also: I think the Mets are statistically 2.5 games better than the Yankees. I just find that funny. Would the Mets sink if they had to play in the AL East?

ETA for @mojoween . . . if you got YES, I think they’re playing Dave Righetti’s no-hitter from 38 years ago.

Edited by Lantern7
4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I was going to ask about that. Is this a day/night doubleheader? Play the game, empty the stadium, then play again?That’s not good. I know ESPN had the original game tonight. Wouldn’t it be simpler to find an off day for both teams?

The Mets have played 79 games so far. The rest of their division is a mix of 82-84. It seems reasonable to me to not add any more TBD makeups at this point, given how far behind they are due to previous weather and/or COVID postponements.

• Love 1
(edited)

Adam Frazier is the second Pittsburgh Pirate to be named the starting 2nd baseman at the ASG. The other is HOFer Bill Mazeroski. The Pirate scout who signed Frazier out of college? Danny Mazeroski, Bill's son.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 7
(edited)

Looking online . . . the Mets have just the one representative for next Tuesday, and deGrom probably won’t pitch. Hey, maybe Alonso will defend his Derby title! 

One All-Star. Even if the Mets are leading a division defined by disorder, I’d think there would have at least one more guy going to Denver. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 3
(edited)

WaPo article on the effect of the "sticky stuff" crackdown.

(I think it's funny how "sticky stuff" is now basically a technical term.)

Intellectual property rights probably prevented it, but I really think that there was a missed opportunity when the league's catchers wore their red, white and blue chest protectors on the Fourth.

Ez7EMlyVkAMPfpl.jpg

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2
(edited)

It's 9:45 p.m. Brewers/Mets was supposed to start at 7:05 It's been raining for hours at Citi Field. Postpone the fucking game already!

Yeah, I know the Brewers won't come back to town after tomorrow-

[Went off for a snack, game got postponed]

About time. I don't even care if this means deGrom's schedule is bumped up where he can pitch in the ASG. Two-and-a-half hours waiting on weather that isn't going to get better is just dumb, even if it's easier than cramming a makeup game into both teams' schedules down the line.

ETA: Day/Night doubleheader tomorrow. And yeah, I’m wondering if deGrom would be allowed to pitch in next week’s game. Minimum, just let him battle Ohtani. That’s what the fans want to see, right?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2