Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I wish baseball players would show us their bodies after they get plunked.  I imagine Gio Urshela’s shin is going to look like he has a second knee tomorrow.

Also how does your shin bone not break when directly hit by a 90 mile per hour pitch?

• Love 1

I don't like those checks and don't envy the umpires for having to do it. I get why this is going on, but I don't like how MLB is going about it. It feels like they want to be hall monitors all of a sudden after enabling questionable behavior for YEARS.

• Love 12

I don't mind the checks themselves. But what really annoyed me was the fact that Girardi apparently bullied/cajoled the umps into checking Scherzer when they apparently had no reason to outside of his bitching. In the middle of a freakin' inning. 

That just set the grounds for gamesmanship. 

• Love 5

Does anyone have any idea why Paul O’Neill is still broadcasting from his basement in Florida?  I’ve wondered if it might be because he’s not vaccinated, but of course I have no actual information on that.  I’m just curious.

(edited)

Ohtani is just crazy.  Have there ever been players like him in MLB before?

Totally unrelated, but whenever I see Trey Mancini, I see Jake Johnson from "New Girl". 

Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 11.18.26 PM.png

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

I think with starters it's twice randomly, with relievers I think it is after every inning but I'm not 100% sure.

I hate the narrative around it. It's so oversimplified. Pitchers bad!

Interestingly batters have 7 to 8 approved substances they can use to enhance their grip of the bat.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

All love and prayers to Josh Naylor of the Cleveland Indians, who was brutally injured in a collision while trying to catch a pop fly. He was eventually carted off the field. I am not even going to post the video, it is that horrific. People are already comparing this injury to Joe Theismann's in the NFL. Josh has become one of my favorites in the brief time he has been in Cleveland. God bless and heal him.

1 minute ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Thanks.  I hate when those videos get posted over and over again.  Poor guy.

I know. It was bad enough watching it in real time. Poor Ernie Clement, playing at 2B and only in his 7th MLB game. He was clearly distraught and shaken. 

(edited)
31 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

I know. It was bad enough watching it in real time. Poor Ernie Clement, playing at 2B and only in his 7th MLB game. He was clearly distraught and shaken. 

So glad you warned me.  I just watched the Jays' game on a delay and they paused broadcasting the game to play the damn video!  Josh Naylor is Canadian.  I had to press my fast forward button.

I am definitely following all the right people on Twitter because nobody has posted video, just nice words, thoughts, prayers etc.

In better news,

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

Max Kranick made his MLB pitching debut for the Pirates today. He went five perfect innings on only 50 pitches. Then there was a rain delay that ended his day.

I know he had a long way to go, but it still kind of sucks he didn't get to determine his own fate.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, catlover79 said:

I was listening on the radio in the car when it happened and the announcers were clearly shocked and dismayed by what they saw.  They just kept saying it was obviously a serious leg injury and Naylor looked to be in severe pain.  They didn't add any graphic details, but it was enough to make me careful to steer clear of any video of the play.  I'm glad I didn't see it; I still remember seeing Joe Theismann break his leg all those years ago and it still makes me queasy.

Still waiting for the Indians to update his status this morning, although he is obviously out for the rest of the season if not longer and I'd expect needs some major surgical repair on the ankle.

(edited)

I figured out why I just do not give two rips about Shohei Ohtani and why every breathless tweet telling me how wonderful he is makes me roll my eyes so hard I can see the future *and* the past.

Baseball won’t like this, but I am a Yankees fan.  Full stop.  Do I pay attention to things around the league?  Of course.  But Ohtani isn’t helping the Yankees do jack so I don’t care about him as much as the league wants me to.

Also to hell with his homers in the first inning.

On a related/unrelated note thank you YES for not actually showing that poor pitcher who I am assuming has heat stroke puking on the field, but your camera didn’t really do the best job of not showing the actual puke pile on the field.  Also I think DJ Lamahieu has a weak stomach.

Edited by mojoween
(edited)
22 minutes ago, xaxat said:

It’s a given that he’ll bat against deGrom at the All-Star Game, right? If the game doesn’t coincide with deGrom’s schedule? Fuck it . . . put him on the mound to start, Ohtani bats lead-off for the American League, and deGrom hits deShowers afterward. Now . . . Ohtani pitching to Jacob? That would be pushing it.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Just curious, do you feel similarly about Mike Trout? I realize he's on the IL right now so not exactly getting press, but I mean it in a more general sense than a "today" sense.

I really really do.  “Second coming of Mickey Mantle” my ass.

I read about the pitcher getting sick. I wonder how far we are from games being cancelled due to heat. Not this year maybe, but I feel like it's a matter of time.

The only thing I wonder about Trout and Ohtani is how they feel being with a team that never seems to make the playoffs. And Trout signed on again as a free agent right? 

I saw an interview with him in the spring and he basically said the only thing that mattered to him was making the playoffs/world series. And I couldn't help but think he shouldn't have signed with the Angels if that was really what he wanted.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, cleo said:

I read about the pitcher getting sick. I wonder how far we are from games being cancelled due to heat. Not this year maybe, but I feel like it's a matter of time.

The only thing I wonder about Trout and Ohtani is how they feel being with a team that never seems to make the playoffs. And Trout signed on again as a free agent right? 

I saw an interview with him in the spring and he basically said the only thing that mattered to him was making the playoffs/world series. And I couldn't help but think he shouldn't have signed with the Angels if that was really what he wanted.

I believe it was a extension. The Angels didn't want him to test Free Agency and just offered him a shit load of money to sign a long term contract. 

• Love 3

Ah thanks. I didn't know the details. But he could have turned it down and chosen something else, although he seems happy there. But from a competitive standpoint the Angels never seem to get very far.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/28/2021 at 7:56 PM, mojoween said:

Baseball won’t like this, but I am a Yankees fan.  Full stop.  Do I pay attention to things around the league?  Of course.  But Ohtani isn’t helping the Yankees do jack so I don’t care about him as much as the league wants me to.

Now you know why most of the rest of the baseball world hates the Yankees.  They are shoved down our throats and we are told we should give a damn about them.  We don’t.  Unless our team is beating them.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • LOL 2
  • Love 14
3 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

Now you know why most of the rest of the baseball world hates the Yankees.  They are shoved down our throats and we told we should give a damn about them.

E X A C T L Y.

• Love 4

This Trevor Bauer story is wild:

"Mr. Bauer had a brief and wholly consensual sexual relationship initiated by Ms. Hill beginning in April 2021," Fetterolf said. "We have messages that show Ms. Hill repeatedly asking for 'rough' sexual encounters involving requests to be 'choked out' and slapped in the face. In both of their encounters, Ms. Hill drove from San Diego to Mr. Bauer's residence in Pasadena, Calif. where she went on to dictate what she wanted from him sexually and he did what was asked. Following each of her only two meetings with Mr. Bauer, Ms. Hill spent the night and left without incident, continuing to message Mr. Bauer with friendly and flirtatious banter. In the days following their second and final encounter, Ms. Hill shared photos of herself and indicated that she had sought medical care for a concussion. Mr. Bauer responded with concern and confusion, and Ms. Hill was neither angry nor accusatory.

"Mr. Bauer and Ms. Hill have not corresponded in over a month and have not seen each other in over six weeks. Her basis for filing a protection order is nonexistent, fraudulent, and deliberately omits key facts, information, and her own relevant communications. Any allegations that the pair's encounters were not 100% consensual are baseless, defamatory, and will be refuted to the fullest extent of the law."

The internet may be tricking me, but the DH tonight for the Angels will allegedly be Shohei Ohtani…who is the starting pitcher.  Gonna have to watch the game on mute, friends.

Also that feels like Joe Maddon is playing a dangerous game.  Just because Shohei wants to, doesn’t necessarily mean he should.

• Love 2

The thing with Bauer was just a matter of time. I mean a matter of time before something big and public blew up.

I truly couldn't understand why LA took the risk and signed him because there were lots of not great things all over his twitter feed, including he and his agent getting into a beef with at least one random woman and encouraging his fans to target her. 

I was so glad the Jays stayed away from him.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, catlover79 said:

From what we've all seen of his temper on the field and on social media, I totally believe him capable of something like this. He just comes across as someone who hates women.

He seems to pretty much hate everyone. 

• Love 7