Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

(edited)

deGrom isn’t going to the ASG. Huge disappointment, but I respect his decision. He’s gotta spend time with family and contemplate on how to get that ERA back under 1.00.

My big issue is that the Mets now have no representation on the NL bench. I was madder that time when Dusty Baker made Armando Benetiez the Mets’ lone rep in ‘03, but I’d still want somebody there. Polar Bear in the Derby doesn’t count.

I heard the Dodgers are pulling Bauer merch and canceling a bobblehead promotion. Probably for the best.

Stupid question: does anyone know which players have scored the most runs in extra innings? And is that a widely-accepted term for them? I heard “ghost runners,”which does work for me.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I heard the Dodgers are pulling Bauer mercy and canceling a bobblehead promotion. Probably for the best.

Man, imagine if they actually kept plans for a Trevor Bauer Bobblehead Night on the schedule...

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Carey said:

Man, imagine if they actually kept plans for a Trevor Bauer Bobblehead Night on the schedule...

Disco Night Part 2?  I mean, the thought of chucking or taking a whack at a Bauer bobble head is not a displeasing thought.

• Love 4

That's probably contractually required. I don't know the ins and outs of the union agreements, but I have a hazy memory if he's suspended while MLB is "investigating" if he violated their DV policy, it's paid leave. Once they decide he's guilty and suspend him for that, that's when the unpaid kicks in. Or something like that.

• Love 4

Ya know, if I were an announcer, every time Nick Castellanos comes to bat I would start talking about the most serious topic I could think of.  Just to see what happens.

• Love 2

Yeah they have to pay him per the CBA. That's also why the union won't object when the leave is extended much as Passan wants to turn it into a big drama.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Yeah, it's par for the course in most every business. I just heard on the news over my car radio that a local fire chief was just put on paid administrative leave per an investigation (not sexual in this case). I think it's a hedge in case someone is proved innocent.

• Love 1

Stewart angered by Dodgers' slow reaction to Bauer case

Three-time World Series champion Dave Stewart says he won't be attending the Los Angeles Dodgers' 40th anniversary celebration for their 1981 World Series team over what he believes was a mishandling of the Trevor Bauer case.

Stewart, a member of that championship-winning squad, told USA TODAY's Bob Nightengale that he was angered by the team's refusal to discipline Bauer, who is currently under investigation for an alleged sexual assault, until Major League Baseball stepped in an placed the pitcher on administrative leave.

“The organization isn’t what it was when we came through,’’ Stewart said. “The Dodgers organization that I grew up in under the O’Malley family would never stand for that. The Dodgers should have stepped up in that situation, and they didn’t. You’ve got to have character standards. I told them, 'I can’t show up for that.''

After news of the investigation broke on Wednesday, Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said on Thursday that Bauer would be making his scheduled Sunday start, saying that the team was waiting on the league to act on any form of discipline. On Friday, he was placed on a seven-day administrative leave by the league.

• Love 7
(edited)

That email response to him was something. I assume ownership had a big say in the overall response or lack thereof. They still didn't really issue a statement did they?

Don't teams issue a bland we believe there should be zero tolerance for VAW and we believe in the process and will support MLB's investigation until it is concluded.....blah blah blah. 

Again in retrospect I am so glad the Jays were immediately responsive to the situation with Osuna, even Gibbons gave a statement.

I guess LA ownership is looking at a pie in the face with that big contract. It's a shame there weren't like, signs, or anything.

Apparently some of the players have unfollowed Bauer on social media, one of them Kershaw. I assume they aren't allowed to speak out otherwise. 

Edited by cleo
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, cleo said:

Don't teams issue a bland we believe there should be zero tolerance for VAW and we believe in the process and will support MLB's investigation until it is concluded.....blah blah blah. 

That was what it seemed like the Dodgers were trying to do initially even though it ended up making them look like a bunch of weaklings. 

Plus the Dodgers know that (unfortunately) all of this moral outrage and indignation will fade soon enough.  They win the World Series and most fans won't give a damn about any of this while they're attending the victory parade.  For example, it's not nearly the same, of course, but I'm betting most Astros fans are content with their trashcan assisted WS win. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Baseball players, they're just like us (when Shohei Ohtani hits another one into the stratosphere):

This is proof that most Americans really don't care about baseball.  Ohtani should be the biggest sports story in the country right now, but I'm betting most people have never heard of him. 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

This is proof that most Americans really don't care about baseball.  Ohtani should be the biggest sports story in the country right now, but I'm betting most people have never heard of him. 

Maybe it's more about how the Angels aren't competitive, and he and Trout wind up becoming more "stories of interest" than actual threats?

• Love 3

Why do all those dummy managers think a guy should not throw more than 100 pitches in a game?  Gerit Cole tossed 129 last night and his arm didn't fall off.  I get tired of watching pitchers yanked after 5 only to have bullpen squander the lead.  Time to quit babying those starting pitchers.

• Love 2
(edited)

Went to see Black Widow. I think the Mets were up by two when I left. Nice job keeping that lead! Like they want to get the 3-seed. We’re back to five teams per league in the postseason, right?

ETA: Is anyone watching the Draft? Apparently, the Mets got one of those vaunted Vanderbilt pitchers.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

Watching American Ninja Warrior, flipping to the Derby. Just saw a commercial for the four-part 30 For 30 on the ‘86 Mets. Thirty-five years, man. It’s a wonder I don’t crumble into dust.

• Love 3
(edited)

Soto/Mancini for the final.

Just me.

I've got one half of it.

Of course if soto/Mancini happens, a lot of people with the name Angelos' will be having their heads explode.

Edited by jennifer6973
I like talking to myself I suppose.
  • Love 1
(edited)

Dang, I think the government would have to step in if Pete Alonso ever gets traded to the Rockies.

Once again: why does ESPN only mark off two hours for the Derby? Screws up DVRs for anyone who wants to watch that or the softball game.

Update: ALL HAIL THE POLAR BEAR!!!

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

He's not just an idiot: he's a bigoted idiot.

His rant was all projection.

Pete's secret weapon.

It really helps to have a "guy".
Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Kawaiiko said:

Still impressed that Soto beat Ohtani. 

I was only half watching early on, but what happened to Ohtani? From all the pre-derby hype, I expected he was going to hit 87 500-foot home runs, yet he doesn't even make it out of the first round.

• Love 1

His pitcher wasn't the greatest. Maybe he needed his coach to throw 90 mph pitches since he crushes those. I wonder if the high altitude affected him as well since he seemed gassed by the end. 

• Love 5

He'll exchange those rules and ban the shift instead. 

Shorter games = less commercial revenue, I assume that's why they want to roll it back? 

I'm so cynical lol. I don't know what the reasons are but I don't trust anything Manfred does to be for the good of the game.

• Love 5

I'm a little torn if only because...soo sooo sooooo many years and soo sooo soooo many blown saves.... I have to think part of the reason the Mets have managed to retain their hold on first in NL East this far this year is because of the multitide of 7 inning double-headers. Didn't give them the chance to fuck it up in the 9th on those handful of occasions. 

Of course, in a non-pandemic season there might be far fewer doubleheaders anyway since they'd likely only come out of weather cancellations and not illness cancellations. Still, they've grown on me for entirely selfish reasons.

Fuck the extra-inning runners though.

(edited)

Instead of deGrom, the National League will have Max Scherzer starting for them. You think anyone will give him shit about giving up a grand slam to a relief pitcher?

3 hours ago, cleo said:

He'll exchange those rules and ban the shift instead. 

I figured we’d just get the DH in both leagues. Quick question: how hard is it to hit towards the opposite field? That’s the second-best way to beat a shift, right after bunting. If a hitter does that three times in a game, Tony LaRussa pops out of the mirror and strangles them.

57 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I'm a little torn if only because...soo sooo sooooo many years and soo sooo soooo many blown saves.... I have to think part of the reason the Mets have managed to retain their hold on first in NL East this far this year is because of the multitide of 7 inning double-headers. Didn't give them the chance to fuck it up in the 9th on those handful of occasions.

Haven’t they split most of their doubleheaders? My idea: extend the season. No additional games, but maybe more off-days for potential makeup games.

Edited by Lantern7

Booing at the All-Star Game. Imagine what would’ve happened if any of the Astros decided to make the trip. Yankee fans would’ve made the trip just to hand out batteries to chuck at them.

I think Joe Buck botched pronouncing Taijuan Walker’s name.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, cleo said:

I'm so cynical lol. I don't know what the reasons are but I don't trust anything Manfred does to be for the good of the game.

Can we start with these terrible ASG uniforms?  The players need to be wearing their regular unis with the 44 on them.  Not this generic crap.

• Love 5
58 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Can we start with these terrible ASG uniforms?  The players need to be wearing their regular unis with the 44 on them.  Not this generic crap.

Yes!  They are seriously horrible.  Almost to the point that it's hard to watch. Blech. 

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Joe Buck botched pronouncing

You could have stopped there.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2