Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

It's an asterisk no hitter, simple as that. 

It is until 7 inning double header games are rightfully legitimized. I say rightfully, since MLB has decreed that we are going to have them going forward.

• Love 1

It’s a loud crowd for all seasons in Baltimore tonight.  We have a woo-er, a general word yeller and a guy imploring everyone else to SHUT UP.

Also it’s rude of the Orioles to send out Matt Harvey when the Yanks send out a young kid making his first start.

• LOL 6

I literally just read a stat that said Ivan Nova and Max Scherzer are the only pitchers who have given up at least one home run to Junior and Senior.  That’s a free trivia stat anyone can use!

• Love 4

I mean it's nice but he's one guy on a team of 9 that is playing under .500....

I'm happy for him mainly bc Toronto fans have basically attacked and bashed the guy for 2 straight years. Now they have turned their attention to attacking Bichette and Biggio.

8 minutes ago, cleo said:

I mean it's nice but he's one guy on a team of 9 that is playing under .500....

I'm happy for him mainly bc Toronto fans have basically attacked and bashed the guy for 2 straight years. Now they have turned their attention to attacking Bichette and Biggio.

Whaaaaaaa?  I've been part of Blue Jays Twitter for more than 10 years and I never see that stuff.  I guess I follow the right people.  

I remember I went to his first official game and my brother and I were screaming for him every time he came up to the plate.  I only ever see positivity about him and towards him.  I mean, he's a kid basically......  

I think the Blue Jays are playing great.  Doesn't our bullpen have the best ERA in the league or something?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

The Jays play well sometimes, and sometimes they don't, that's all I meant. I think they have a way to go, but that's just my opinion. 

As for the fans, I'm not going to dig out tweets or anything but there is a big segment of Toronto sports fans that are just awful imo. I mean every fanbase has them, I'm sure. So there were tons of people attacking Vlad the last two yrs for his weight, saying he was a bust, and on and on and on. Any Toronto franchise- the hatred Pascal Siakim gets is disgusting. 

But Bichette and Biggio- even sports media are saying they should be yanked from their positions bc they're not instant stars. I think it's too soon myself and tbh I was really surprised when some media/analysts starting piling on as well. 

• Love 1

I have seen people talk about the possibility of moving B & B from the infield yes.  I'm just glad I don't see that raging hate, that's just gross.  I tend to completely fall in love with players, so even if they have rough patches I still love them.  And even amazing players like Josh Donaldson may never grow on me.  I think I like the people more than their ability.  

I can think of three players in my favourite 10 of all time that would not be considered superstars by any means, LOL.  

B, B, and Vladdy are SO young and the season is young too.  I don't know.  The negativity feels so pointless to me.  They're really young exciting talent so I assume things will work out.  Vladdy is beyond clicking right now...... He was even 0-11 or 0 for 10 before this 3 home run night.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

Is Toronto's Biggio any relation to the Biggio who used to play in the 80s and 90s? I remember doing all-star ballots and I didn't know who any of the national league guys were, so I voted for the guy with the funniest name at each position. Anyhow, I voted for Biggio Sr many times.

• Love 1

Cavan Biggio, son of Craig

Vladdy Guerrero Jr., son of Vlad Sr.

Bo Bichette, son of Dante Bichette

Lourdes Gurriel Jr., son of Lourdes Gourriel and brother of Yuli Gurriel 

The Young Dynasty team. 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

I mean, arguably Tatis is the most interesting legacy player right now. I was watching a game on ESPN the other night and they showed a montage asking players who is the most exciting player right now and then went to clips of like 45 big name players all saying Tatis. 

• Love 1
On 4/22/2021 at 6:51 PM, mojoween said:

For those of you who have been to more games, and sometimes in less than full ballparks, how do you not strangle the guy who does not shut up?  There is a guy in Cleveland who is yelling nonsense during every at bat, that I can hear on the YES broadcast, and I don’t understand how the patrons around him haven’t smothered him yet. And it’s only the second inning.

On TV it just sounds awful.  But then when you go to the ballpark it's a totally different animal.  Most of the time I think I have an okay time.  There's no wooing or screaming guy around or near me.  But it all depends on where you sit.

In the SkyDome we'd sit in the mid 500s a lot behind the home plate.  Nobody's going to tear their lungs out screaming all the way up there.

I once had a ticket pack for the outfield 100s and the guys were a lot worse down there.  They'd drink and yell and run around a lot.

I remember I had a really weird time sitting in the 200s.  I was not a fan.  People would bring babies and shush everyone around them.  Hahhaha!   I was shushed once for having a mild conversation in the 500s.  Talking about friends and work and stuff.  Which is incredibly weird to me.  I'm thinking there's 50,000 people here...... 

Once you get to know the ballpark, you get to know your favourite areas and become loyal to them.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Back in the day at the Metrodome, my friend and I had a favorite section. It was this little piece that jagged into Centerfield (105? 107?) something like that) and we would be right behind Kirby Puckett. The Metrodome was awkward for watching baseball because the seats were aligned for watching football, so you never had a really straight-on view of the field. 

That's fun to hear about the sons of players who are now playing. Wasn't there a third generation Fielder playing, too, or am I thinking of a different player?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

In today’s edition of “What are They Saying at the Ballpark?” the Yanks were gifted a rather generous strike call and a gentleman in the crowd yelled to I presume the umpire “do you want some windex for that glass eye?” which is a little bit non-sensical, but made me laugh anyways.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Fun fact of the day: Through five starts, deGrom has given up 2 earned runs, and has driven in 2 runs batting.

Right. Before this last start, he actually had more RBI than ER. 😀

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Love 4

Speaking of second generation ballplayers, in Cleveland we have relief pitcher Cal Quantrill. @Ms Blue Jay should remember his dad, Paul (also a relief pitcher) very well.

Kudos to the writer of this article. Thank you!! Let's also get back to 9-inning doubleheaders and no one on base to start every extra inning while we're at it!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/mlb/2021/04/29/three-batter-rule-genesis-cabrera-amendment-safety-ejection

• Love 4

I like the runner on second in extras but 7 inning games is bullshit.

Someone above said something was an asterisk no hitter.....I feel like within 5 years it will just be an asterisk for the whole game, it will have changed so much.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, cleo said:

I like the runner on second in extras but 7 inning games is bullshit.

Someone above said something was an asterisk no hitter.....I feel like within 5 years it will just be an asterisk for the whole game, it will have changed so much.

I don't mind it either, because it's fair for both teams.  

• Love 1

Baseball and Hockey I wish they just let ties happen in regular season game. Baseball you can play to like 12 innings, but then if you are still tied, then count it as a tie.

Hockey just play one normal period of OT and then just let a tie happen.

Instead they both gimmick up the extra session and it cheapens everything.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Baseball and Hockey I wish they just let ties happen in regular season game. Baseball you can play to like 12 innings, but then if you are still tied, then count it as a tie.

No!!!!  If they stop it after 12, how would be get John Denver again for the 14th inning stretch???

I hate the guy on second.  So there. 

• Love 3

I am only in favor of 7 inning games if they are playing an actual back-to-back doubleheader.  Day/night doubleheaders should be the standard 9 innings.   

Runner on second should wait until at least the 12th inning.  (10th inning in doubleheader.)

• Love 1

I could see merit in adding a runner later on, like the 12th.

Just from my own pov, when something doesn't hit me as well thought out, or decisions are being made out of expediency, then you lose me. 

The home run derby just seems like it's going implode. 

And I'm not a 'this is how we've always done it so we're doing it this way' guy. Asking how to improve is commendable. 

• Love 1

Hmmm...let's see...the games take too long.
I wonder why.
Could it be, possibly, maybe...that the pitchers take TOO LONG between pitches?
Geez...they experimented wit the pitch clock all the way up to AAA level ball.
They saw that it worked.  Why not put it into play at the majors?
Is MLB afraid the pitchers would stage a strike.  
Oh..."a strike"...see how I did that.  Ha. 
I'm so clever. 🤪

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

There's plenty you can do to speed up the game while maintaining the 'game.' I wouldn't put a clock out there, but you can have the ump give a warning and a five count or something. 

I wouldn't want to a clock because it's fair that a pitcher may throw over to 1st to hold a runner. And you still want to give the coach or catcher some time to make signs. 

There's plenty you can do to keep it around 3 hours. Going 15 innings is exciting and I wouldn't want to change things just to make it end sooner. The problem is if the first 9 is like 6 hours long, then, yes, people are going to be tired. 

And really though, way too much commercial time between innings. I'm sure you've all been to games that have been on tv, and everyone is out there ready to go just waiting around. 

• Love 2

The A's Jesus Luzardo is out indefinitely after breaking the pinkie on his pitching hand.  And how did he do that?  By hitting a desk when he got mad while playing a video game.

• Love 1

The Yankees game was two hours and nineteen minutes today.  And it was great.  If it were five hours and nineteen minutes, I would still think it was great.

The new thing they are trying in A-ball is that the pitcher is only allowed to throw over to first twice, and I think that’s bunk. And I know MLB needs ratings, and it was very lucky the Dodgers/Red Sox 18 inning game was on a Friday so a lot of people could stay up and watch, but any rule messing with the integrity of the game is a bad idea, full stop.

• Love 5
(edited)

I should never watch the Mets. Ever. I tuned in to see them bust the game over against the Phillies  in the eighth. I took the garbage out, turned the game on to see the end . . .  and now I just watched Edwin Diaz give up a home run.

A grand slam home run.

A grand slam home run in the bottom of the ninth.

A walkoff grand slam home run in the bottom of the ninth.

A walkoff grand slam home run in the bottom of the ninth in Philadelphia.

With two out.

Fuck me for caring even a little.

ETA about the distance from the mound . . .  fuck it, make the pitchers throw from behind second base.

Edited by Lantern7
  • LOL 2
8 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

You didn’t turn it off after he hit the HR, did you?

*checking ESPN*

Damn. Holy shit.

In my defense . . . the Mets.

. . . .and I thought the bases were loaded because I was thinking, "Right watch Diaz blow the damn lead." And he ended the game while I wasn't watching, so my stupid assumption wasn't that invalid.

*sigh* Honestly, when you hear a broadcaster yell "SANTA MARIA!"? The game is usually over.

• LOL 5