Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

12 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Wouldn't the ball be declared dead once it hit the batter, even if it was on a bounce?

The ball hit the catcher then caromed off and hit the batter, so it's not considered a Hit By Pitch. It's only a dead ball on a HBP.

On 7/27/2020 at 5:02 PM, Crs97 said:

I love Tito, but I noticed he wore a mask that did not cover his nose.  This is basically common sense, people.  I enjoyed watching the Tribe yesterday, but they should not be playing if their manager can’t figure out the most basic requirement.

He's STILL doing that!! He and most of the team are at least partially vaccinated, so don't know why he even bothers wearing a mask at all anymore.

As far as I can tell practically everyone is wearing their mask under their nose. I notice it particularly with all the various coaches in the dugout.

So Manfred's latest experiment in the Atlantic League is whenever a team pulls the starting pitcher, they also lose the DH. Seriously WTF is wrong with this guy?

Also moving the pitcher's mound back. This is less rage inducing but all I can think is it would result in more injuries and pitchers already seem to be injured more often than not 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, cleo said:

Seriously WTF is wrong with this guy?

He said "You thought Selig was an idiot? Here, hold my beer..."

I heard the talk about moving the mound back, and yes, that's going to result in more injuries. I hadn't heard about the DH thing. I don't think baseball should have the DH at all, but if you insist on using it, don't play stupid games like that.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 4

The DH thing I read this morning in a blog by Craig Calcaterra. He's usually reliable but I haven't seen it reported by others yet. I can't link he emails it out. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Moving back? I can see the height, but that's ridiculous. 

Doctoratomic:
Moving it back a foot or so?
Wouldn't that make the breaking pitches (curve, slider, screwball) even more effective?

They want the pitches to be less effective so the game is more 'exciting'. They should just ban pitchers with an ERA under 5. That would be exciting! Or fuck it, just change it to tee ball! Then they could save some salary too.

Ya I'm grouchy lol.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

I love Jackie Robinson. Wrote a report on him in fourth grade. Read several books about him to do it. And it was before the internet was generally available to fourth-graders. 

But: something feels squicky to me when, during a mid-inning break, they bring on former players who may also be hall of famers, if not at least major big deal players of the time, but just significantly less famous to current audiences, and then basically grill them on-air about Jackie and only Jackie. Like their only worth at present is what they remember of Jackie. It's weird and feels very wrong to me. It's a tone thing.

• Love 2

I'm still trying to figure out why Adam Eaton wasn't ejected here. Whether the call was right or wrong, he still put his hands on the opposing players. If he had done that to the umpire, it would have been a different story!!!

3 hours ago, xaxat said:

Directed at fans in general, not @xaxat or @mojoween in particular . . .  IT’S FUCKING APRIL! And rolling in the Yanks’ misery peaked during the Steinbrenner years. There’s still five months of ball to be played. Over in Queens, the Mets will have to gird themselves for so many doubleheaders . . . and playing two games in one day is probably still a bitch even if the innings are reduced.

Throwing baseballs on the field does make attending fans look like assholes, though.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

rolling in the Yanks’ misery peaked during the Steinbrenner years.

Oh no - you're wrong here.  It's a lifelong joy of mine and just because it's April doesn't mean I can't be joyous that it's happening.  I have to take my opportunities as they present themselves.  It most likely won't last long enough.

So there. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

And rolling in the Yanks’ misery peaked during the Steinbrenner years.

No, the Yankees will always suck, and I will always be happy when they do poorly, regardless of when it is. 

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Oh no - you're wrong here.  It's a lifelong joy of mine and just because it's April doesn't mean I can't be joyous that it's happening.  I have to take my opportunities as they present themselves.  It most likely won't last long enough.

So there. 

Seconded! 

It is April, things will change. But, as a Pirates fan, I get a lot of schadenfreude over the fact that the Pirates have a better record than the Yankees. Who have a payroll four times theirs.

Besides, I listen to WFAN and it makes the callers a lot spicier.

• Love 4

The schedule makers are ridiculous.  The A's and the Angels are playing the Twins early in the season, and already one of the Twins/As games is suspended due to covid protocol.  If the Twins continue to have problems, and they miss an Angels game, they may have to play a double header in Minnesota instead of in Anaheim, where the possible missed games are scheduled to be played.  The Blue Jays, playing in Tampa because of Canadian covid rules, have already had a home game rained out with Anaheim, they may wind up having to play a double header in Anaheim instead of in Tampa.  And the As don't even play Texas until June, meaning they still have 19 games to play in the last 2 1/2 months of the season.

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I am under the impression the currently suspended Twins games are in Anaheim. As in, they're quarantined and testing in Anaheim right now, not Oakland.

The Twins don't go back to Anaheim this season. The A's are the Twins' next opponent. Looks like there will be a doubleheader in Oakland this week, that's if the Twins can get their ish together.

Right, but the statement I was responding to said "if they miss an Angels game" and that they'd already missed one A's game. They've already missed two Angels games, and are currently slated to miss at least one A's game (tomorrow). 

3 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I am under the impression the currently suspended Twins games are in Anaheim. As in, they're quarantined and testing in Anaheim right now, not Oakland.

The Twins game on Tuesday with Oakland has been postponed.

15 hours ago, RedElf said:

The Twins game on Tuesday with Oakland has been postponed.

I follow the A's on IG, and they haven't announced anything regarding Tuesday as of this writing. They were quick to announce today's postponement.

I checked the Twins' website and from the time indicated for Tuesday's game, it appears that they have planned a double header.

Edited by emmawoodhouse

The Twins had all COVID tests today come back negative, so they will likely play on Tuesday in Oakland.

One of the players who tested positive was part of the team mass vaccination, so it's not like MLB is in the clear once teams clear the 85% vaccination threshold they are pushing for teams to have fewer restrictions placed on them.

On the one hand, that's just funny. On the other hand, the habit of MLB players to neglect even basic grooming as inconvenient or loss-inducing has always annoyed me. Comb your beards and stop spitting!

And off my lawn while you're at it!

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

Update:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cleveland.com/tribe/2021/04/adam-eaton-suspended-cesar-hernandez-and-jake-bauers-fined-for-indians-white-sox-altercation-last-week.html%3foutputType=amp

I still don't know why he wasn't ejected to begin with. I'm not sure why Cesar Hernandez and Jake Bauers were fined; all I saw of them in the footage was them standing between Adam Eaton and their genuinely perplexed teammate Andres Gimenez - trying to protect him. Did any of you see anything I didn't?

I have only been to one game in my life, and that was in full Yankee Stadium, where sound doesn’t carry as much.

For those of you who have been to more games, and sometimes in less than full ballparks, how do you not strangle the guy who does not shut up?  There is a guy in Cleveland who is yelling nonsense during every at bat, that I can hear on the YES broadcast, and I don’t understand how the patrons around him haven’t smothered him yet. And it’s only the second inning.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4
32 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I have only been to one game in my life, and that was in full Yankee Stadium, where sound doesn’t carry as much.

For those of you who have been to more games, and sometimes in less than full ballparks, how do you not strangle the guy who does not shut?  There is a guy in Cleveland who is yelling nonsense during every at bat, that I can hear on the YES broadcast, and I don’t understand how the patrons around him haven’t smothered him yet. And it’s only the second inning.

I usually just drink more.

Sometimes, if it's really bad, I'll alert an usher, but that's a crapshoot as to whether it will result in anything.  So, I just drink more.  Or move.  As you said, my ballpark is rarely full... 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

For those of you who have been to more games, and sometimes in less than full ballparks, how do you not strangle the guy who does not shut up? 

With great difficulty?

Seriously this is the reason I don't have season tickets. I can put up with morons for one game - and luckily they usually tend to arrive late and leave early - but if I go to too many, especially too close together, I am reminded that other people ruin it for me.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, mojoween said:

For those of you who have been to more games, and sometimes in less than full ballparks, how do you not strangle the guy who does not shut up?

You mean like the guy who holds "Charge!" waaaaaaaay longer than he needs to?

Edited by Kawaiiko
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, theatremouse said:

With great difficulty?

Seriously this is the reason I don't have season tickets. I can put up with morons for one game - and luckily they usually tend to arrive late and leave early - but if I go to too many, especially too close together, I am reminded that other people ruin it for me.

I had season tickets on the mezzanine in Cleveland back in the 90's when every game was a sellout.  There was a guy who had the seats next to us who, aside from being hygienically challenged, babbled his way through the game, calling out every play using baseball cliches.  He seemed like he might be a little slow intellectually, too, so we felt uncomfortable confronting him although those of us sitting around him would express relief if he didn't come to a game.

At the end of the season, when it was time to renew the seats, I specifically told the agent that, if that particular party still had the seats next to mine, I wasn't going to renew.  Fortunately for me, he didn't renew his seats.

To this day, my sisters and I can still make one another laugh by shouting 'Can of corn, can of corn!!!' 18 times in a row.

Edited by doodlebug
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, mojoween said:

For me, it's the woo-ers who woo totally disconnected from the flow of the game, they’re just wooing, and because of the tone/pitch it really pops relative to most crowd noise.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, cherrypj said:

For me, it's the woo-ers who woo totally disconnected from the flow of the game, they’re just wooing, and because of the tone/pitch it really pops relative to most crowd noise.

The woo-ers are the worst. They rank right next to golf's Baba Booeys. (Although that has pretty much died out, so maybe there is hope.)

On 4/22/2021 at 6:51 PM, mojoween said:

Noise-cancelling headphones are a godsend!!!

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, cherrypj said:

God I hate those people!🤬  In my mind they are all drunken frat boys who think they are really cool (or lit or phat or whatever the kids say these days.).  I almost turned off the Tigers game the other day, I think they were playing in Cleveland, because of all the woo-ers.

Not MLB, but...the Long Island Ducks, in the unaffiliated Atlantic League, would periodically during the season have a promotion where they gave away "quackers" - a plastic, duck-bill shaped device which you would blow into to make a loud quacking sound. They also sold them in the stadium store. I remember nights where some little kid sitting behind me would quack for 9 innings. More than a few times, I considered handing the parent $5 and smashing the damned thing.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Not MLB, but...the Long Island Ducks, in the unaffiliated Atlantic League, would periodically during the season have a promotion where they gave away "quackers" - a plastic, duck-bill shaped device which you would blow into to make a loud quacking sound. They also sold them in the stadium store. I remember nights where some little kid sitting behind me would quack for 9 innings. More than a few times, I considered handing the parent $5 and smashing the damned thing.

I am so sorry. What a nightmare!!!

• Love 1

I hate the Rays 'ballpark'. A ball hits the roof and it takes them half an hour to figure out where it hit, which matters bx some parts of the roof are designated fair and some foul.

Why wouldn't you have a camera aimed up so you could check? Instead of wandering around for 20 minutes going- I didn't see it, did you see it? 

• Love 7
58 minutes ago, cleo said:

Why wouldn't you have a camera aimed up so you could check? Instead of wandering around for 20 minutes going- I didn't see it, did you see it? 

Because that would make sense!!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, cleo said:

I hate the Rays 'ballpark'. A ball hits the roof and it takes them half an hour to figure out where it hit, which matters bx some parts of the roof are designated fair and some foul.

What a huge huge huge waste of time that was.  So laughable.  And they're trying to get young people to watch baseball?  I'm in my 30s and my attention span could not bear it.

• Love 2

Last night Shane (I have such a hard time not calling him Justin) Bieber threw 119 pitches and Gerritt Cole threw 111, and it’s so funny how today that’s a big deal, but ten or twenty years ago it would be like “that’s it?”

• Love 4

MadBum’s no-hitter is not a no-hitter because 30 years ago an eight-man committee changed the rules to decree no-hitters have to be thrown in nine innings - partially to toss out some official no-hitters that were in five or six innings due to shortened games for a number of reasons.

Well 30 years ago doubleheaders weren’t mandated to be seven innings so maybe it’s time to take a look at the rule book, no?

• Love 4