Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

38 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

If deGrom 3-peats it'll maybe balance things, but at present the season just feels icky for me.

I know that I’m not invested, but I don’t think that’ll happen. I don’t think he got the awards out of pity, but I can’t him going three straight.

Which team do I want winning? Once again, not invested, so this is all top-of-the-head.

Yankees: Oh, yeah, because what the world needs more than ever are Yankees fans bragging about a 28th title following a shortened season.

Rays: With Tom Brady running the Bucs and the Lightning winning the Stanley Cup, you think anyone in Tampa would even notice if the Rays won the Series? In a normal year, they wouldn’t have thrown a parade. They could have visited each and every fan in the city. That would’ve taken three hours, tops.

Astros: Just what MLB needs, right?

A’s: All I know us that they haven’t won in 31 years. Also, their stadium sucks. One of you guys is a fan, yes?

Braves: Cut to Mets fans making the gun-to-head gesture. They’re not talking about changing their nickname, their fans probably still do the Tomahawk Chop, and the one title they won in Atlanta came after a shortened season, AND they beat the Indians. If you look at it, did they really earn that title?

Marlins: Cut to Mets fans making the gun-in-mouth gesture. That would give a third title to the Mets’ two. You know what I said about the Rays? Visiting their fans in lieu of a parade would take sixty minutes.

Dodgers: Aren’t they due by now?

Padres: The only times they went to the WS, they took on the American League champs that had the best record in that decade (‘84 Tigers, ‘98 Yankees). Their football team left because the taxpayers didn’t want to shell out for a new stadium that the owner could have easily afforded. Oh, and the city is beautiful. Great weather most of the year.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

A’s: All I know us that they haven’t won in 31 years. Also, their stadium sucks. One of you guys is a fan, yes?

I'm not exactly a fan, but I want them to beat the Astros.

I didn't realize they hadn't won a WS since 1989 series. Was anyone watching back then? I remember having the TV on, waiting for the game to start, Al Michaels announcing. Then suddenly the screen starts shaking, then goes dark and you hear Al Michaels in the background saying "Are we on the air? Are we on the air?" That was quite an earthquake. I think that game was at Candlestick, don't remember for sure. 

The Bay Bridge collapsed, downtown Santa Cruz was leveled. I remember being in SC a year later and they had big tents up in place of the buildings the businesses used to be in.

1 hour ago, Harry24 said:

Because of the opener gambit?  Something else?

He didn’t even give Deivi a chance to be as bad as Happ was.  So dumb.

I remember watching the Series during the 89 quake.  It was so scary even all the way over here in the northeast.

• Love 1

I think this illustrates the ridiculousness of this season pretty well: before their last game, the Mets' announcers were talking about how the team's postseason hopes were still alive; it was a long shot, many things had to happen, but a win that day would give them a chance. When they lost (badly), it meant not only that they wouldn't make the playoffs, but that they'd finish tied for last place! How can a baseball team go into its final game of the year still having postseason hopes, then lose and finish last? Only in infamous 2020.

I very much remember watching when the '89 quake happened. I couldn't stand the A's of that era, with the roided-out Canseco and McGwire, and still don't much like them to this day. Only playing the nasty 'stros could make me root for them, which I am. Go, Oakland!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Of all the things the Astros have done, I realized this week that Yuli Gurriel continues to be the one I hold the most enmity for.

Why on earth would anyone have enmity for a racist piece of shit like Gurriel?[/sarcasm]

Yeah, he makes my blood boil, too.

• Love 6

I think the greatest missed opportunity during this season is that none of the Yankees just said "Fuck it. I'm keeping my coronavirus look."

The DH comes to the National League. Seven inning double headers. Runners on second to start extra innings. Neutral site playoffs etc. But god forbid a Yankee grow facial hair.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

I realized this week that Yuli Gurriel continues to be the one I hold the most enmity for.

I realized right now, I'd completely forgotten he existed until I read that sentence. In my head it feels like he was a player 50 years ago.

• Love 1

On October 8, 2010 on Facebook I posted this 

I don't have a horse in this race but I feel badly for Chapman, the Reds pitcher.  Such poor outfield play during that last sequence.

and it makes me laugh for so many reasons.

29 minutes ago, ClassicShowsFan said:

That's sad. The 93 team holds a special place in my heart. It's the first time the Phillies were good that I can remember , I was a infant in 80 and still to young to remember 83.  I was 12/13 during that season and I was allowed to stay up to watch the NLCS and World Series. ( the name Joe Carter still makes me twitchy 😂) . 

RIP Kim Batiste

Edited by shoregirl

I just watched the LA/SD game from yesterday. I can't believe Jansen is still blowing games for them. I mean I know they won but he's in the game for 5 mins and blows a multi run lead. Nothing has changed since 2017.

I'm glad Graterol is turning out to be a good pitcher bc it amuses me that Sox lost Betts and then passed on Graterol - a guy they wanted- bc of backlash over the Betts trade. 

18 minutes ago, cleo said:

I just watched the LA/SD game from yesterday. I can't believe Jansen is still blowing games for them. I mean I know they won but he's in the game for 5 mins and blows a multi run lead. Nothing has changed since 2017.

I'm glad Graterol is turning out to be a good pitcher bc it amuses me that Sox lost Betts and then passed on Graterol - a guy they wanted- bc of backlash over the Betts trade. 

Mercifully for the Dodgers, Jansen is unavailable tonight, per Dave Roberts.

• Love 2

Yeah, hubby who is the biggest Dodgers dan I know said that if the Dodgers keep going to Jansen they won’t win this year. His speed and placement has been off, and he’s always got his head down and looks spooked. Poor guy.

• Love 1

More Facebook memories which amuse only me, this one from 10/9/2013...

In their most important game in 21 years, the Pittsburgh Pirates are starting rookie Gerrit Cole.

If that does not sum up AJ Burnett's major league career, I don't know what will.

• LOL 1

@twoods  I didn't know your SO was a fan though now I put it together with your Lakers fandom, it all makes sense. 🙂

I've watched Dodgers a lot the last few years. I like them and when the Jays are non competitive I turn to LA. I don't know why, they just caught my eye a few years ago and I started following the team.

Glad they won last night but simultaneously sad for SD. I like the little guy and it would have been cool to see them advance. Or at least not get swept.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 4

Like seriously all I care about is the Rays beating the Astros. And Astros fans crowing bc the Yanks lost? At least they didn't cheat, you complete losers.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 9

Pulling for Tampa as well, but I root for the Rays even if the Astros hadn't cheated.  IMO, if Houston loses, I'd personally be happy at the expense of the league; wouldn't be laughing at the Astros.  That's just me

Seriously, do the Rays have fans? They've been playing in the same park since 1998, and they haven't gone over 2 million fans since that first season. On the other side, the Astros finished under .500. Is that a pet peeve for anyone else? I feel that any team that doesn't have a winning record -- in ANY sport -- shouldn't get into the postseason. Of course, there's always revenue in games that are played, even if they are brief and lopsided.

Weird . . . Cardinals are eliminated the day Lou Brock passes, Yankees follow suit on the day Whitey Ford expired. Could this be a "thing" this year?

[ETA: Bob Gibson. It was Bob Gibson. I apologize for that mistake.]

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

They showed a big group of people partying it up in condos overlooking Petco Park and there wasn’t a mask to be seen, and I hate every one of those people.

What do they have to party about? Their Padres got knocked off. Or were they fans of the competing teams? I'd say that were rooting for the Yankees, but real New Yorkers have common else about that shit.

Edited by Lantern7
17 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Seriously, do the Rays have fans? They've been playing in the same park since 1998, and they haven't gone over 2 million fans since that first season. On the other side, the Astros finished under .500. Is that a pet peeve for anyone else? I feel that any team that doesn't have a winning record -- in ANY sport -- shouldn't get into the postseason. Of course, there's always revenue in games that are played, even if they are brief and lopsided.

Weird . . . Cardinals are eliminated the day Lou Brock passes, Yankees follow suit on the day Whitey Ford expired. Could this be a "thing" this year?

What do they have to party about? Their Padres got knocked off. Or were they fans of the competing teams? I'd say that were rooting for the Yankees, but real New Yorkers have common else about that shit.

They were Yankee fans. They posted a bunch of Ks for Cole's strikeouts.

This shitshow of a season is just going to give us a World Series of the Astros and their awfulness and the Marlins and their ridiculousness in voting to play the Phillies knowingly having numerous COVID positives.

Yuck

• Love 3
2 hours ago, bosawks said:

This shitshow of a season is just going to give us a World Series of the Astros and their awfulness and the Marlins and their ridiculousness in voting to play the Phillies knowingly having numerous COVID positives.

Yuck

That would have been a nightmare but the Marlins are thankfully out. I heard one of the announcers talk about the adversity they went through and I felt like yelling . They put themselves through that with their carelessness . There were plenty of teams that I did not want to win and the Marlins were at the top of the list. They made me root for the Braves and I have disliked them before the Marlins were even a team. One upside of now fans was I didn't have to hear the godforsaken tomahawk chop .

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 3