Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

You GUYS.  Did he really pull out the “that’s not who I am” part of the apology playbook?

Fuck you it’s not!  YOU SAID IT.  You said it!  That’s EXACTLY who you are or you WOULDN’T HAVE SAID IT.

• Love 17

From the Mets or the Marlins?  If it’s the Mets maybe their series against the Yanks will be postponed and the Yanks can get some rest and heal up.

Never mind, got my answer.  Subway Series is postponed.  

Edited by mojoween
1 minute ago, mojoween said:

From the Mets or the Marlins?  If it’s the Mets maybe their series against the Yanks will be postponed and the Yanks can get some rest and heal up.

It's the Mets. I just heard it on my local news.

I’m so mad that he is a homophobe because I loved him on NFL Sundays.  Oh well, good riddance.

I am super curious what the beginning of the conversation was where he said what he said.  I cannot even imagine.

• Love 5

This part of his second statement...

I used a word that is both offensive and insulting. In the last 24 hours, I have read about its history; I had no idea it was so rooted in hate and violence and am particularly ashamed that I, someone who makes his living by the use of words, could be so careless and insensitive.

...is bullshit.  No one is that wholly ignorant.

• Love 15
45 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

He's lying through his fucking teeth. Unless he's trying to claim he is A) British and B) was talking about cigarettes, he's a lying liar who lies.

Thanks for confirming what he said. I was just guessing, but that word was my best guess. 

Dumbass.

• Love 2

I loved Brennaman saying "that's not who I am", like, five minutes after saying what he did. Did he undergo sensitivity training in that five minutes? At least put a little effort into your lies.

The whole Mets thing doesn't surprise me, I'm just surprised it didn't happen sooner. The team as a whole has been really lax about masks and social distancing. There's been very little of either in the dugout; players mingle the same as they always did and the only ones who mask-up are the coaches, who are in there the whole game. The players, who are constantly in and out, don't bother to put on a mask when they get off the field. There's also been some high-fiving after home runs. From what I've observed, it was only a matter of time until this happened. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, NUguy514 said:

This part of his second statement...

...is bullshit.  No one is that wholly ignorant.

I mean, come on. In 2020, you don't know that there's things you can't say? There's plenty of other words you can use. A *student* used to pull the 'see you next Tuesday' on me all the time. You might get yelled at, but you won't get fired for that. Or just say fuck. It's all purpose. 

• Love 2

A 56 year old man who has been around clubhouses nearly his entire life cannot try to convince me he didn’t know that word was improper.

I grew up in the eighties and I heard that word ALL THE TIME in the most derogatory fashion (like, how exactly does your shirt tag insinuate you are gay? But I digress) but then I grew up and learned.  Anyone who lived when Mathew Shephard died has NO EXCUSE.

• Love 11

I always wondered if Ryan Murphy fashioned Burt Hommel after someone he knew IRL, or someone he wished he knew.

My team is both on the IL for injuries and COVID, so my fandom is wide open this weekend and I’ll need to find someone to root for.  Maybe the O’s cuz I’m tired of people picking on them.

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I always wondered if Ryan Murphy fashioned Burt Hommel after someone he knew IRL, or someone he wished he knew.

My team is both on the IL for injuries and COVID, so my fandom is wide open this weekend and I’ll need to find someone to root for.  Maybe the O’s cuz I’m tired of people picking on them.

Tonight may not be the night to root for the Os...   I admit I just turned Rachel on because, well, because the game was painful. 

I"m trying to watch all the games because we don't know when it will all be over, but I just can't right now. 

• Love 3

Why does the commissioner hate baseball??

Bob (or maybe FP - they're both bad...) said during the first game today of the Nats doubleheader "if we were playing a 9 inning game..."  And I yelled - we're playing baseball, which is a 9 inning game!!!  Dammit!

And now, the Os/Saux are in free-baseball time...with a man on second.  Just because.  I supposed I should be happy we managed to come back to tie it up, but still... blech. 

• Love 3
On 8/21/2020 at 6:05 PM, mojoween said:

Cheer for the Twins! They're doing OK.

2 hours ago, xaxat said:

Yesterday was Jacob DeGrom's 177th start. He allowed one or zero runs in 83 of them. 

Where did you get that? I mean, it doesn’t seem realistic at all, but it would happen with deGrom.

Just now, Lantern7 said:

Where did you get that? I mean, it doesn’t seem realistic at all, but it would happen with deGrom.

I agree, it does seem incredible, but I'm pretty sure that was the stat Gary Cohen mentioned last night. And I don't remember the exact number, but he also said that the Mets had lost about 16 of those games. Not including last night.

1 minute ago, Moose135 said:

And the Mets have scored an average of 1.02 runs per game in those starts... 😉

After the Mets scored an early run to make it 1-0 Cohen actually said, "There's your run Jacob. Make it hold up." 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Wow! Tons of drama at Shea. Apparently Manfred tried to talk the Mets and Marlins into pulling a media stunt instead of actually canceling. The Mets GM Brodie Van Wagenen was taped and it was leaked. (There were only three people in the room.)

The Mets took the field as if to start the game. All of the players then stood on the sidelines and took off their caps off for 42 seconds and then left the field.

FU Manfred.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

That was amazing to watch in real time. They took the field like they were playing, the Marlins hitter went to the plate, then both teams stood in silence and walked off. MLB fans skew conservative and on twitter a whole bunch of nasty comments already. But the Mets and Marlins protested in such a peaceful, meaningful way.

• Love 12

This may be old news to most of you, but I somehow had missed the fact that Aaron Boone and his wife have four kids, two of whom were adopted from Haiti, two of whom are biological.  (This was mentioned in the media because he got very emotional yesterday talking about the issues underlying yesterday’s sports boycotts.)

Seeing men like Doc Rivers, Dom Smith and now Aaron Boone talk so emotionally has been so touching and I think does WONDERS in communicating to others how brutal racism is, and I’m so thankful they all have spoken out so honestly and with vulnerability.

• Love 10

Coronavirus wreaks havoc again, this time in the AL West:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/as-astros-game-postponed-after-positive-covid-19-test-on-oakland-151437651.html

A very good friend of my family's has a son-in-law who is a trainer for the A's. According to what he told her, the A who tested positive got it from a family member. That's all I've got.

Edited by catlover79