Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

18 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

If you're sequestered in the five star hotel, does it include use of the pool? 

I think it depends on the state's covid rules. I know that outdoor pools at Vegas hotels are open, indoor pools in New York are still closed.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, catlover79 said:

I can only speak for myself, but you could sequester me in a five-star hotel with unlimited room service, Netflix, internet and king-size bed and there would be no complaints from me!!

Hell, I would pay a few bucks* for that kind of quarantine, as long as I could bring my cats.  Peace, quiet and room service sound like heaven to me right now.

*no more than $25.  I don’t make MLB kind of money.

• Love 8

The Cards' pitchers haven't thrown competitively in almost three  (oops) two weeks. How are they going to be able to restart the season without everyone's arm blowing up?

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2

Any word on when they will play again? I haven't seen anything, but to be honest, I haven't been looking that hard.

eta: Looks like they will play the White Sox this weekend. For now.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1

I really think the Blue Jays take great young prospects, call them up, and then promptly fuck them up. I don't know how but they do it. It's beyond the coach. There is just something wrong with the org. I wish MLSE (owner of Leafs and Raptors) would buy them.

When a good prospect comes up I always feel like- well I look forward to this kid succeeding in 5 yrs with another team.

A LOT of the Yankees wear gaiters. And I read an article today that said gaiters are just as bad as if not worse than going maskless.  There is no winning here.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

I can see why players wear them, though. They're easy to keep track of during a game, especially if you're an infielder. Or order masks from whoever provides Didi his. He seems to be able to see over it, but it has to hamper a player looking down. Didi wears his all the time, so I hope it's not hindering him in the field.

10 hours ago, catlover79 said:

I guess Zach's never heard of President Lincoln's famous quote, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt". 😣😠

Yes, Zach needed to stop after the apology that I now assume was written by his agent.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Yes, Zach needed to stop after the apology that I now assume was written by his agent.  

Oh, I never believed for a second that he wrote the statement. Another stupid thing? Driving while looking into the camera and not on the road!!! 😠😠😠😠😠

https://deadspin.com/bozo-zach-plesac-lists-all-the-rules-he-broke-then-bla-1844720927?fbclid=IwAR1lKAQxZNEt_t6xKsy-eMJUlewrImSz_TwAzK0dnjXcTyQ80eUsCdULXho

• Love 2
21 hours ago, mojoween said:

A LOT of the Yankees wear gaiters. And I read an article today that said gaiters are just as bad as if not worse than going maskless.  There is no winning here.

I think it depends on the fabric, but yes, the gaiters they tested in the article I read (probably the same one) were the stretchy kind that runners use. And they had the interesting effect of breaking the particles into smaller particles allowing them to escape the mask more easily.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

Oh, I never believed for a second that he wrote the statement. Another stupid thing? Driving while looking into the camera and not on the road!!! 😠😠😠😠😠

https://deadspin.com/bozo-zach-plesac-lists-all-the-rules-he-broke-then-bla-1844720927?fbclid=IwAR1lKAQxZNEt_t6xKsy-eMJUlewrImSz_TwAzK0dnjXcTyQ80eUsCdULXho

Yeah, my first thought was, "Why the hell is he doing this while driving?  Oh, right, because he's an idiotic dipshit.  And a whiny one at that."

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

Yeah, my first thought was, "Why the hell is he doing this while driving?  Oh, right, because he's an idiotic dipshit.  And a whiny one at that."

Oh, and he's not wearing a seatbelt. What a shock!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:
23 hours ago, mojoween said:

I think it depends on the fabric, but yes, the gaiters they tested in the article I read (probably the same one) were the stretchy kind that runners use. And they had the interesting effect of breaking the particles into smaller particles allowing them to escape the mask more easily.

It isn't just the fabric, but how they are made.  I have a total of eight gaiters:  three of them (the first ones I bought) are thin stretchy fabric, the other five had a filter pocket installed and are of a thicker fabric.  With a filter installed, it is a three layer mask over my nose and mouth. 

• Useful 4
14 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

A's were trailing 6-0 to the Giants, then got a grand slam in the 9th inning to tie it and won it in the 9th.

Actually, they won it in the 10th. Yes, I was watching. 😁

• Love 1

Totally sucks that Cincy feel victim to Covid.  On a related note, with the talk of St. Louis not having played any games in quite a long time, it might get to a point where a team will go a week or two without playing any games through no fault of their own.  For instance, Pittsburgh was inactive earlier in the week due to Cardinals games being postponed.  Now they've lost a weekend due to the Reds.  The Buccos are awful, but man that has to suck when playoff positions are determined based off of % when a team might not play 60 games

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, Carey said:

Totally sucks that Cincy feel victim to Covid.  On a related note, with the talk of St. Louis not having played any games in quite a long time, it might get to a point where a team will go a week or two without playing any games through no fault of their own.  For instance, Pittsburgh was inactive earlier in the week due to Cardinals games being postponed.  Now they've lost a weekend due to the Reds.  The Buccos are awful, but man that has to suck when playoff positions are determined based off of % when a team might not play 60 games

It's already happened. The Phillies were shut down for a week because of the Marlins.

• Love 1

when playoff positions are determined based off of % when a team might not play 60 games

I really think that's bullshit. If all the teams don't play the same number of games the missing games need to be counted as Ls. Or the other teams' records need to be reproportioned to whatever the lowest number of games anyone played ends up being. Or it all gets called off before there even can BE playoffs because there keep being outbreaks on new teams.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Carey said:

Since the Cardinals and Marlins are the teams with players who went out and got infected, they should forfeit the games that cannot be rescheduled. They made the choice to be stupid and selfish, so they should suffer the consequences.

• Love 12

They totally should, catlover.  However, I probably wouldn't bet on it happening to the Cards.  That team is pretty much a blue-blood; they are a big deal with Baseball.  With the Marlins, it's a different story.  The league would actually have an argument, IMO.  St. Louis totally broke the rules after the fact, though they didn't try to go forward and infect other teams.  Miami knew they had it but didn't care.

It's already happened. The Phillies were shut down for a week because of the Marlins.

That's right.  It's amazing how they survived after that.  The thing with the Buccos was that they lost games due to the fact that two consecutive teams had a positive test.  Just happened to be back-to-back series with St. Louis Monday-Wednesday, and then Cincinnati.  

• Love 2

Welp.  That’s that, it’s been a good run.  I put in my order today for a walker and a case of Metamucil...

Luis Garcia has become the first player to be born in 2000 or later to hit a home run.

• LOL 9

Some details about the Indians' team meeting on Friday have come to light, with at least one player threatening to opt out if the two disgraced pitchers were immediately activated onto the active roster. Oh, to have been a fly on the wall at that meeting...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/mlb/news/zach-plesac-and-mike-clevinger-deserve-every-bit-of-their-teammates-anger/gj6t4e4gvykp1471st38e3w6x

• Love 5

I don't know if I'm tired and misinterpreting or what but are people seriously pissed Tatis hit a grand slam against the Rangers? Pitch better.

Are they supposed to stop playing their best bc the Rangers suck? 

I love the MLB- Let the kids play! Tatis is the face of this sport! - Tatis you asshole don't play so well.

I thought a new manager would maybe improve the Rangers attitude but I guess not.

• Love 6

I agree, but from what I read today, it was because it was a 3-0. It's still ridiculous. It always seems like the party bringing up 'unwritten rules' are the ones not playing so well. 

So he walks then. The next guy takes the first pitch out. What's the point? 

Of course, he'll probably be beaned the next time they play. Which - you putting the other team on base for free helps you win how? 

• Love 2

I assume the Rangers wanted to project "toughness", but is there anyone outside of their clubhouse that didn't think they were just being a bunch of whiners? 

I also didn't like the lame way Tatis' manager (barely) defended him

While Tatis said his manager congratulated him after his 11th homer, which put him one ahead of Trout, Tingler was quick to tell him he missed a take sign.

"He's young, a free spirit and focused and all those things,'' Tingler said. "That's the last thing that we'll ever take away. It's a learning opportunity, and that's it. He'll grow from it."

The correct answer is "He's a budding superstar. Any time he sees the right pitch he should mash the hell out of it."

• Love 9

I would concede you probably shouldn't be stealing or pulling hit and runs, but no one should be complaining about swinging the bat. I tend to think batters hack away too much and should work the count, but on a 3-0, if you see your one pitch, then take the swing. If the pitcher doesn't know that is your pitch, how is that on the batter? 

And what is he swings and grounds out? Is the pitcher going to complain? 

• Love 6
44 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The San Diego manager should be suspended by his general manager for throwing Tatis under the bus and making that poor kid apologize.

Yeah, what was that all about? Back up your players! He swung on a 3-0 pitch. He's not responsible for the pandemic, for crying out loud 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

The San Diego manager should be suspended by his general manager for throwing Tatis under the bus and making that poor kid apologize.

1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Yeah, what was that all about? Back up your players! He swung on a 3-0 pitch. He's not responsible for the pandemic, for crying out loud 

That was a terrible response from the San Diego manager. It looks even worse when you consider he just came to San Diego from the Rangers organization.  

This is a good response. 

• Love 6

Thom Brenneman’s voice makes me long for football, but if FOX relieves him from all sports I won’t be mad at it.

Open mic or not, why the hell would you even ever SAY that, even if you are thinking it for some ungodly reason?  And I apologize but I won’t use that word or link to a story with it in the headline, but I am sure if you type “thom” into your google-fu it will be the first result.

Edited by mojoween
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6