Type keyword(s) to search

S40.E17: Michael Keaton / Carly Rae Jepsen

• Start Topic

I really like these promos.  He seems game to me, and on a shallow note, Cecily is pretty hot in these.  I don't know if her hair was a bit different or something, but it was working for me.  Carry on.

• Love 2

That last skit sounds too clever for the current crop of SNL writers. I would love to see Keaton, playing himself or not, explain how *his* Batman is better than Christian Bale's Laryngitis Dark Knight to some comic book fans...until Kevin Conroy, the voice of the 90's Batman Animated series, appears and argues that HE is the best.

• Love 1

I'm thinking about starting a drinking game based on how accurate Tara's predictions are each week. If I thought of this last week, I would have been Waaay Buzzed.

I'll admit, when that "Race Together" spoof came up, I was pretty proud for having 60% nailed it!

• Love 1

The shallow part for me is that Michael Keaton is still very sexy. Crazy excited about the show this week.

I always thought MK was a cutie when he was younger, now he's in silver fox territory. I'm really looking forward to this (also, he'll always be my favorite Batman).

• Love 9

Cold Open: I doubt that Coach K would actually let one of his players take a biology test over playing in the championship.

Monologue: ENOUGH WITH THE SONGS SNL. Although it allowed Bobby and Taran to fanboy over Michael Keaton and led to the awesome bits with Batman and Beetlejuice. Singing aside, I'd do the same thing.

CNN: Here's a funny way to deal with horrible tragedies: Make fun of CNN and its awful reporting, but I thought it all worked. Hell, reenacting news stories with puppets and dance troupes would improve CNN drastically. Also, it's never a bad time to bash Don Lemon.

Prom King: This was great. And Kate McKinnon is always gold. This was one for you guys who still find Michael Keaton as a silver fox.

Call Your Grandparents: Twisting this into a sex phone ad was gold. Of course I loved the conversation between Grandma Leslie and Sexy Sasheer, and Kate/Michael Keaton dealing with the geese.

Mr. Wallace: This one got weird. That Labatt made a cereal was the least weird thing about this one.

Church of Neurotology: Looks like we got a knock on Scientology with cheesy 90s goodness. I guess they had tackle "Going Clear" somehow, and I really liked it. Lots of uncomfortable laughter during this one, "Switched to Scientology" seemed to have gotten the biggest reaction.

WU: Resident Young Person Pete Davidson gives spoiler-free review of Walking Dead. (aka we don't know that much about it, don't worry folks). I liked it. "Maybe you could stop smoking pot?" (Pete gives an aside that would make Jack Benny proud)

Heh, Norman Reedus showed up and there was barely any wild applause.

Jebediah Atkinson returning to bash TV was a breath of fresh air tonight. It was a contest of how smug he can look and how many times he can make Michael Che break.

Smart House: Michael Keaton taking a page from Christopher Walken and putting googly eyes on things, I see. Keaton and Cecily's cadence was really really weird. Everyone just seemed so weird in this, everyone talked in some strange cadence.

An Easter Message: This one was weird, but I love how Michael Keaton and Kate were both game for all of this. Of course I laughed through all of this one. It was so weird that it went all the way around to become hilarious.

This one was...weird? Not bad, though. Honestly, I don't know what to think of this one. Michael Keaton plays weird and creepy very very well, but I wouldn't expect less from Beetlejuice himself.

I bet some sketch got cut because WU ran long. That one went past 12:30, something had to go.

• Love 2

Oh, if only CNN used puppets and cats for their reports.  Their ratings would go up for sure.

And it's always good to see Jebidiah Atkinson.

The spoof Scientology I didn't think was bad.

However, I've been nursing an ear infection couple with neck and shoulder pain all day and night today, so I really didn't pay attention to this episode.

(edited)

I bet some sketch got cut because WU ran long. That one went past 12:30, something had to go.

Wasn't it a Good Neighbor short that we got maybe 20 seconds of and ended abruptly?   I swear that was Beck.   But the breaks in the last 10 minutes or so were very choppy.  I had the NBC chime for like 30-40 seconds.   (ETA:  The Guru-Grainger short or whatever that briefly was.)

I liked the show.  Michael Keaton was just fun.  I don't know why they had to have him play "granpa" or the resident old guy  in so many sketches, though.  We get that he's older than the cast.  So freaking what?

I could care less that the monologue was a song.  That was epic.  And for whatever it's worth, Keaton wasn't singing.

Jebidiah always makes me laugh  hysterically.  I can't help it.  "The best lines on The West Wing were the ones that went up Sorkin's nose."  Ha!  I don't doubt it.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 7

Cold Open: Y'all, I hate sports so much so I literally could not give one flippity flying fuck about this. Ok, maybe one: Bobby. He's the male Kate for me. Anytime he shows up onscreen, I just smile. But, ok...wasn't there a thing a few months ago at Duke where they found out that athletes were registered for classes that didn't even exist, and they were getting good grades so they could stay on whatever teams they were on? Was this some reference to that, maybe?

Monologue: Who do I need to curbstomp to get the musical monologues to stop? The idea (Taran and Bobby being super stoked about Michael Keaton being there, with the added bonus of chastising Jay for being too much of a dork) worked without the song. I loved the video clip where they photoshopped the Batman/Beetlejuice costumes onto Keaton.

CNN Newsroom: This had the potential to be in really poor taste, but I thought it worked. The performance art about Indiana reminded me of the theater sketch from the Cameron Diaz episode. I love when this show rips on pretentious artsy people, because everyone on the show has had some kind of interaction with them (hell, some of them probably were those people once upon a time) and it always rings really true.

Mike O'Brien: So, um, She's All That but creepy?

Call Your Grandparents: This might be the first time since she's been on the show that I actually found Sasheer funny.

Advertising: What in the hell was even happening? What did the (severely infected and gross gross gross, I hate when this show goes overboard with the blood) bellybutton ring have to do with anything? I feel like I would have liked this better if it had just stayed in its lane with the weird ad pitches and the employees catching on.

Neurotology: Did something happen in the Scientology community that I missed this week? If not, I feel like this could have been funnier if it had been more timely.

Weekend Update: Don't care about The Walking Dead, and didn't find Pete that funny. But I am always, ALWAYS, here for Jebidiah.

Smart House: This was so weird, it totally worked. Also, bless Kate. "We have to go, we left our baby in the tub."

An Easter Message from Michael Keaton and Portia: Didn't Edward Norton do this almost exact same sketch when he hosted? That aside, I loved Keaton naming the bunny after Glenn Close. And Kate trying to feed a chicken nugget to the chick. "She's got all the signs."

Weird episode, but not bad. What was with the audience "ooohhh"ing so much? I didn't think any of the jokes were that bad. They were especially put off about the sneaker factory one on Update. Am I just jaded to the point where nothing offensive fazes me anymore? Or did they find every single one of those people under a rock?

Wasn't Carly Rae Jepsen on Broadway? Her voice is reed thin.

• Love 3

Neurotology: Did something happen in the Scientology community that I missed this week? If not, I feel like this could have been funnier if it had been more timely.

It was a pretty on point  takeoff on the HBO documentary Going Clear that aired this week.  It was creepy as hell.  But I would reccomend watching it if you can.  It's rather fascinating.

• Love 7

It was a pretty on point  takeoff on the HBO documentary Going Clear that aired this week.  It was creepy as hell.  But I would reccomend watching it if you can.  It's rather fascinating.

I am totally here for creepy documentaries about cult/cult-adjacent organizations. I shall try to see it and reevaluate the sketch.

• Love 2
(edited)

Well, honestly, I really liked Carly Rae Jepsen's second song.

Didn't it sound like her interpretation of Prince or something?  For those interested, it's called "All That".

Huge fan of Michael Keaton, (the first Batman is incredible, I love the movie Multiplicity from the 1990s, he was also recently in Larry David's movie Clear History!) but I've been meh on the last few episodes, sorry guys.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I actually really liked this episode. Even the stuff that didn't work got a small chuckle out of me. Though I must ask -- was it just me or was the sound mixing really off? I could hear the crowd more than I could hear the cast at some points.

Cold Open: This was alright. I'm not closely following the NCAA tournament but it amused me enough. 

Monologue: Once again, I hate singing monologues but yet I still liked this. Just Taran and Bobby fanboying like crazy was great. Then Jay randomly thrown in and the big finale part was great too. Plus Keaton did do the Batman and Beetlejuice voices so that was great. Loved the photoshopped Batman and Beetlejuice stuff and then Taran and Bobby's roles in those random shorts. I have to say the makeup was pretty amazing and I kind of hope that Taran had a fake mustache on that went under his facepaint ala Cesar Romero. 

CNN Newsroom: I only wish CNN did re-enactments like that. I'd be watching it just for the sake of comedy. I did love the line "This is CNN you're either at an airport or suffered a small stroke" and the Hillary Clinton cat was pretty great too. CNN does love their plane crashes. Also loved the interpretive dance of what was going on in Indiana. 

Mike O'Brien Short: As someone who saw these kind of teen movies repeatedly when I was younger (I hated them but my friend was a huge fan of them which mean I was subjected to them constantly), this was amazing. Just the way everything unfolded was wonderful. I liked Vanessa as his wife and her always going to bed at 7:30pm and Kate's small role as the really nerdy girl that that Pete was originally pointing to was great. I loved her looking at the teacher and then saying "My next class is in this room" I love how Kate is able to do these small bit roles and really knock them out of the park. She really is a hell of a Glue Girl. 

Call Your Grandparents: This was glorious. Sasheer was really good in it as the sultry host. I loved when she called her grandmother (though I felt bad when she got all snippy at her grandmother)  and the reveal of the bad pants was great. And this idea was just great. I don't know who came up with it but it was really inspired.

Advertising Firm: I have no idea where the hell this was going but yet I still enjoyed the ride. I think the issue with it is that it had a bit too much going on. Like they combined two good ideas (boss doing inappropriate pitches or boss gets belly button piercing that hit a vessel and then increasingly bleeding out while keeping completely straightfaced). Still got some chuckles out of it though. 

Neurotology: They really got the feel of that late 80s/early 90s feel of some videos. I loved the Where Are They Now bits too. Liked that one guy switched to Scientology. And the song was pretty lovely too. Also the Hitler imagery was obviously intentional but still was well used. I can't wait to see if the Church of Scientology goes all batshit over this. 

Weekend Update: The jokes were actually really good. I loved the Lethal Weapon joke with Israel/US relations. Che and Jost still don't have the chemistry but the jokes are there and they're both delivering them well enough. Pete Davidson was pretty good. He's kind of middling with me. I do like the whole stoner vs zombie comparisons. Then Norman Reedus showing up was pretty grand too. And just when I thought Update couldn't get better, out comes Jebediah Atkinson. I may have said it before but there will come a day that Jebediah Atkinson will become tiring to me but not today. Still amazing and I think it all really hinges on Taran's performance. The hamminess is just on point and everything just works. My one minor complaint is that the I Love Lucy joke was a little too predictable for me at least with the green card bit. The Lost joke was brutally hilarious as was the Mad Men one. A great Update altogether. 

Smart House: Weird and kind of worked. Definitely the weakest of the night to me, though. I did like how their friends used "left their baby in a tub" as their excuse. I feel like this would've been better with more tweaking. 

An Easter Message: Yeah this was pretty much the same thing as the Halloween one from Edward Norton. I feel like Keaton talked to Norton about this sketch idea before he went through with it. The Norton one is still the best but my main reasoning for that was that it was faster paced than this one. That doesn't mean that this one wasn't good though. Kate as Portia was amazing especially her meeting a baby chick on the internet and then trying to feed it a McNugget. And Keaton's performance was pretty fun too. Once again, if this was a little quicker paced, this would've been so much better. I feel like they were told to slow it down a bit so they could meet a time limit. I did love that at the end it was Michael Keaton doing the Easter greetings. 

Anyways, I really liked this episode. I think it's probably my favorite of the season. It's between that one and the Martin Freeman episode. And Keaton was great as a host too. 

• Love 3

I'm no fan of musical monologues, but the second Taran mimed Catherine O'Hara, I f'in lost it.  He was so goddamned perfect.  And then Jebidiah Atkinson.  Dude was on fire this week.  The CNN Newsroom bit resonated with me because I actually was flipping through the channels and caught a really bad animation of the German flight (it made me think of the Tiger Woods reenactment and at first thought it was a joke piece).  Neurotology was okay because Going Clear came out last week on HBO, but that could have been evergreen, given how psycho Scientology is.  WU was pretty solid, but they need to rehearse more or get new people.  Both marble mouth their deliveries.

I did wonder about that ad agency skit.  Mad Men is starting it's final run Sunday, but that didn't feel like a MM spoof in any way.  That was the only connection to relevance that it had.  Then again, the "take the ugliest person to prom" thing is about 10 to 20 years past it's prime as well.

Neurotology was okay because Going Clear came out last week on HBO, but that could have been evergreen, given how psycho Scientology is.

I'm sorta thinking it was called "Neurotology" just in case the Scientology people show up and harass people.  

• Love 3
I'm no fan of musical monologues, but the second Taran mimed Catherine O'Hara, I f'in lost it.  He was so goddamned perfect.

A million times yes. I started to groan when it became a musical monologue, but ended up thinking it's one of the best I've ever seen. Bobby as OTHO? I died. I felt like it was a fully realized musical monologue with all the taped bits and not just people up there trying to kill time.

I still can't quite tell what I think of this one overall. There were some really good bits (CNN, the Easter message, Jebediah, the cult that isn't Scientology) but also some odd things that I didn't entirely hate yet can't put my finger on why they felt so...weird (the belly ring CEO, the eye scope, She's-All-That on crack). It seemed like a consistently strong showing by Jost & Che, so props for that. The nuclear agreement jokes were ON POINT.

Definitely eager to see what Taraji P. Henson brings. Hopefully the thunder as only Cookie and Shug could.

An Easter Message: Yeah this was pretty much the same thing as the Halloween one from Edward Norton. I feel like Keaton talked to Norton about this sketch idea before he went through with it.

Wasn't the original a Steve Buscemi Christmas one? Where he went through his ornaments and Kristen Wiig hung them in bizarre places? It's a funny sketch for actors who can go full creep.

I LOVED the Scientology parody. Colin Jost won it.

• Love 1

Wow, the "Neurotology" video may be the best filmed SNL non-Lonely Island production in years.

It was a thing of beauty! I don't think I'm exaggerating (much) when I say SNL managed to capture and then destroy 50-some years of Scieno propaganda in less than four minutes. Ten hours later and I am still giggling at those background images of Bobby as L Ron Hubbard. :)

• Love 1

Wow, the "Neurotology" video may be the best filmed SNL non-Lonely Island production in years.

I watched Going Clear on Thursday night and when this video started last night I started laughing and didn't stop. It was pitch perfect. 

• Love 2

Wasn't the original a Steve Buscemi Christmas one? Where he went through his ornaments and Kristen Wiig hung them in bizarre places? It's a funny sketch for actors who can go full creep.

I was made aware of that sketch afterwards. My bad. I think I may have missed that episode. Regardless, the sketch is great but I still thought Edward Norton's was a little faster paced which made it work a little better. Anytime an actor can go full creep is always great. Keaton nailed the creepy face better than the others. 

I think one of my favorite lines was "She has all the signs..." after seeing her try to feed a McNugget to a baby chick. 

• Love 2

Cold Open: Y'all, I hate sports so much so I literally could not give one flippity flying fuck about this. Ok, maybe one: Bobby. He's the male Kate for me. Anytime he shows up onscreen, I just smile. But, ok...wasn't there a thing a few months ago at Duke where they found out that athletes were registered for classes that didn't even exist, and they were getting good grades so they could stay on whatever teams they were on? Was this some reference to that, maybe?

I'm sorry you hate the sports so much.  I'm a Duke alum/massive basketball fan, so I have to clarify this.  Pretty sure you're talking about the UNC scandal a few miles down the road.  The UNC-Duke rivalry is the biggest in college basketball, so I could not allow this to stand.  Duke hasn't yet had a scandal on that level.

I enjoyed the episode.  Not as good as last week, but still decent.  Parts were a little lazy...the CNN sketch was well done, but there wasn't anything in there that hasn't been done by the Daily Show ad nauseum.  Also, I enjoyed the Scientology video as well, but it really was just a summation of everything that happened in that Going Clear documentary.  Scientology is it's own joke.  

I'm glad Michael Keaton is enjoying a career renaissance.  Having listened to his WTF episode, he's very smart, introspective, and self-aware, and when you think about the range of what he's managed to accomplish in his career, it's pretty impressive.

I hope I can get a new DVR from my cable company because I'm getting a lot of recording errors, and this recording had a lot of pixillation and dropped sound. The only thing I couldn't find online to watch was Jebediah. I love him, so I'm sorry I can't find the clip.

Anyway, generally I liked this ep. I thought the monologue was great, esp the filmed bit with the terrible CGI.

I've been away all week and haven't heard any news, so I didn't understand the Cold Open. Did a coach really keep a player out of a game because of a biology test?

I thought Cecily had some really strong performances. Maybe she's always strong -- heh, I just got that -- but I particularly liked her as the CNN anchor. I also thought she was really good in the Smart House sketch. I loved ALL the performances in that one. Very bizarre.

I also liked Keaton's performance in the Easter thing. And yet I don't think they used him enough. Maybe there wasn't enough variety in what he was asked to do.

• Love 1

I thought this was another great episode where I either smiled or chuckled throughout almost every single sketch and filmed shorts. WU is on another streak of some pretty good jokes and I feel like Colin has gotten more comfortable up there.

• Love 2
(edited)

Cold Open: I doubt that Coach K would actually let one of his players take a biology test over playing in the championship.

Was that not the whole point of the bit? That it would never happen in real life, yet theoretically shouldn't student athletes need to be in class at some point? I thought that was the gist. Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 1
(edited)

Nothing makes me smile more than a Bobby Monihan over-joyed face. Which means my love for the monologue got pushed over-the-top the second he had that rediculously large smile on his face when Michael Keaton said "I'm Batman" and "It's showtime!"

I know Mike O'Brien sketches usually fall into a "love it or hate it" camp (much like the Good Neighbor sketches), but I could not stop laughing at the Prom King short. He just nailed all the beats of those late-90s teen movies (all of which I loved). I freaking died when he took Michael Keaton's glasses off, then put them back on saying something like "Sorry, I thought that would do something different". The switch back to the writers room was good for him; he was kind of a non-entity in live sketches, but his pre-taped stuff is hilarious to me.

Jebidiah going after TV was my favorite part of the night. I loved his bit about how the most sympathetic character in Mad Men is the cigarettes. Colin in the Neurotology sketch was a close second for me; something about him was just cracking me up. His Easter joke in WU made me laugh out loud as well.

ETA: I almost forgot - those freaking googly eyes on the tube in the Smart House sketch made me laugh so hard that I had to rewind, because I missed the next few lines of the sketch.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 1

I hope I can get a new DVR from my cable company because I'm getting a lot of recording errors, and this recording had a lot of pixillation and dropped sound. The only thing I couldn't find online to watch was Jebediah. I love him, so I'm sorry I can't find the clip.

Anyway, generally I liked this ep. I thought the monologue was

You can dig it out on YouTube, which I'm ineptly having trouble linking to on my tablet.

It should definitely be on Hulu, and I know for sure that its on the SNL app (since I watched it quite a few times on the app)

Though I must ask -- was it just me or was the sound mixing really off? I could hear the crowd more than I could hear the cast at some points.

Ok, yeah, I thought it was just my TV, but I guess I can blame it on the brain trusts in the SNL sound department again. I've just been getting into Mad Men (I know, I'm 8 years late to the party and it's ending soon) and that show is so quiet, I've had the TV turned up almost all the way. So then last night when I was watching this and could barely understand some of the dialogue (and turning up the volume didn't help; it was just as unintelligible, only louder), I just chalked it up to a shitty TV. Guess not?

I'm sorry you hate the sports so much.  I'm a Duke alum/massive basketball fan, so I have to clarify this.  Pretty sure you're talking about the UNC scandal a few miles down the road.  The UNC-Duke rivalry is the biggest in college basketball, so I could not allow this to stand.  Duke hasn't yet had a scandal on that level.

Ah, ok, that was it. I mean, they're both in North Carolina and their colors are almost the same, so they might as well be the same school to me.

Still think it was weird how much the audience gasped last night. Especially at the nuclear bomb and Mad Men jokes. Like, yes, we bombed Japan twice in WWII, that's covered in pretty much any high school-level American history class. And how did "If I wanted to know what life was like in the 1960s, I'd move to Indiana" warrant so much pearl-clutching? So odd.

I loved his bit about how the most sympathetic character in Mad Men is the cigarettes.

Then the line about Indiana was just perfect.  I couldn't believe he said, "I've been around awhile.  It's never been that great of a state."  OUCH.  Way to twist the knife in.  I couldn't tell if that was an ad lib.  It probably wasn't, but it felt like it.

I don't think the audience got the Franz  Ferdinand joke until it was explained.

Just curious, has Pete darkened his hair?  It looked much darker to me this week.

Not trying to be insensitive, but did it look like to anyone else that Sasheer's left forearm had scars that maybe spelled something in the "Call Your Grandma" skit?

Looked like keloid scarring. Not uncommon in African American skin. I don't think it was intentional or spelled anything. Just probably an injury that keloided rather than smoothly heal.

Still think it was weird how much the audience gasped last night. Especially at the nuclear bomb and Mad Men jokes. Like, yes, we bombed Japan twice in WWII, that's covered in pretty much any high school-level American history class. And how did "If I wanted to know what life was like in the 1960s, I'd move to Indiana" warrant so much pearl-clutching? So odd.

With Jebediah's bit, the audience is just playing up their shock to get a reaction from him. That's how it seems to me.

• Love 2

That was a fun episode. Not sure what Michael Keaton was like his first two times hosting, but he seemed to be up for anything, not what I expected.

Loved Carly Rae's second song. That was very cool. Also not what I expected from Miss "Call Me Maybe".

I hadn't been big on Jebediah's last skit, but man this one hit for me, he had his chemistry back with crowd, which is about 40% of what makes him great. And his jokes landed well. At this stage I'm happy with the individual jobs Colin and Michael are doing, hey probably have some work to do to figure out the chemistry aspect of the dual host Update, but they're both delivering their jokes well and playing well off the guests.

A lot of fun stuff this week "I majored in Volcanoes"

(edited)

One thing that I don't understand is that I keep seeing people say that Taran looked exactly like Cesar Romero's Joker.  Huh??   It was Jack Nicholson's Joker from the Batman Movie that starred Michael Keaton.   He looked exactly like him just like Bobby nailed Devito as The Penguin.  I just don't get where people are getting that it was a copy of Cesar Romero, who had a completely different look and style-- less sinister and more clowny. Basically Romero was all about the laugh. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1
I'm sorry you hate the sports so much.  I'm a Duke alum/massive basketball fan, so I have to clarify this.  Pretty sure you're talking about the UNC scandal a few miles down the road.  The UNC-Duke rivalry is the biggest in college basketball, so I could not allow this to stand.  Duke hasn't yet had a scandal on that level.

This is where I thought that opening failed. Because they didn't go off on UNC, which is in the midst of perhaps the most underreported, shameful academic AND athletic scandal in decades.

I don't like any of the WU characters these days and FF past all of them (Kate's Russian woman is OK). Just keep the topical humor coming.

Speaking of, because i knew nothing about "Getting Clear," that not-scientology skit came out of left field and had me wondering WTH? It seemed like a huge undertaking to take a shot at a religion that felt like it should have come 20 years ago.

Loved, loved the Easter skit. Almost felt like MK was adlibbing a few times. The hollow chocolate bunny delivery had me rolling. Too bad he flubbed the line right before it.

I know Mike O'Brien sketches usually fall into a "love it or hate it" camp (much like the Good Neighbor sketches), but I could not stop laughing at the Prom King short. He just nailed all the beats of those late-90s teen movies (all of which I loved). I freaking died when he took Michael Keaton's glasses off, then put them back on saying something like "Sorry, I thought that would do something different". The switch back to the writers room was good for him; he was kind of a non-entity in live sketches, but his pre-taped stuff is hilarious to me.

The bit that really got me was when Keaton was in the teacher's lounge and he heard them talking about Mike's character was taking a "loser" out on a bet and Keaton runs off crying!