Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E16: Red Meat

Nice discussion on abortion.   Although really Diane "it's legal" that's all you can come up with.   Really not used to shows where the Republican is given the nuanced side of the argument.   Also did not like Diane being so socially inept with the "call girl."  She is usually not that dumb.   But hey, this whole ep was "let's character assassinate Diane."

So Alicia thinks Prady is the better guy but still continues the run.   And then has the balls to ask the guy to be HER deputy.   While she falls back in love with Peter, after flirting with Finn.  And leading on her campaign manager.   Man, she is all about the power isn't she.   It's why she looked the other way for years with Peter's stunts.   As long as she as the SA's wife and all the perks that went with that (which only exist in TGWLand btw), she didn't care what else happened.   and he uses his power once again on her behalf, and boom she is all hot for her marriage.   Gah those two deserve each other.

• Love 13

Love the Diane stuff..hated Alicia for winning..and then being okay with losing plus it bothers me that both Alicia and Fin were fine with "single shooting" game after the shooting at the courthouse...

About the only thing I like is Eli's daughter staying on to help Alicia...

• Love 9

So Peter taketh away and Peter giveth . . . was that his plan all along?

Had to laugh when Alicia brought up Ramona. She sounded just like Michael Scott: "Jan, you cheated on me! And after I specifically asked you not to!"

• Love 9

At least the campaign is over!  I was confident Alicia was going to win as soon as Bishop mentioned that Kalinda needed to be the go-between for him.  Hello story arc leading to Kalinda's exit.

I also thought that Peter's fix was going to be getting his crew busy stuffing ballots like in his election.  That would have been a fascinating twist to see developed.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1

When they needed more voters I expected a "dead voters in Chicago" joke.

Since the writers knew something about The West Wing, they should know that it is bad luck *not* to write a concession speech. Glad Alicia knew to write one.

• Love 1

I really liked Diane's sections of the episode, two people debating in good spirits, a bonding session that was disguised as a sparring match. That was a hint of what we used to get in this show - less telling, more showing, and relying on great actors to pull it off. Diane was layered: she liked shooting, which made her feel guilty but her husband backed off, and the others (mostly Republican one percenters) discreetly gave her space and didn't cause "drama". Nice touch, shows what you can do with nuanced likeable characters. Compare that to the Elsbeth nonsense we were given earlier this season, the difference is jarring.

Some of the  other parts of the episode were serviceable, only because they were beginning to tie up loose, undesirable, ends. Alicia's triangle has been nixed. Bishop is off to become a good guy in the Marvel Universe. Alicia is leaving the firm, right at the time Diane is landing a huge client. There was even a hint of how much better Kalinda's story with Bishop could've been: being mistaken for Mrs Bishop (and a step mom) can cause all sorts of problems, possibly with comedic mileage thrown into the mix; before he announced his retirement, I thought he was about to fund Kalinda's retirement and ask her to raise his kid; hell, if the Kings wanted they could've shown us Kalinda interacting with Bishop's henchmen, does she outrank them? So much they could've shown besides Kalinda trembling with fear in the kitchen.

Still, despite the marginal improvement I won't commit to next season, even though seeing Geneva as a regular character could possibly be fun. 

Edited by Boundary
  • Love 9

Its shameful how much I love Lemond Bishop.  I know I shouldn't.  He's a ruthless drug kingpin who had his ex-wife murdered during a custody battle among other disgusting acts.  But the guy is just so devilishly handsome and he scares me (in a fun way).  I am looking forward to a better storyline with him and Kalinda than the one we've seen the last couple of weeks.  Geneva can be a pain in the ass, I wonder what she's got up her sleeve for Kalinda.  And what happened to Lana?

I couldn't care less about this campaign stuff or the SA's office.  The show needs to get back to fundamentals.  Cases of the week, and a little bit of B storylines.  Now its like there is so much going on without there really being anything going on. 

I too didn't care for Finn giving Alicia that Halo game.  The first thing I thought about was the courtroom shooting.  

• Love 9

I loved them playing Halo...except who plays a game from waaaaay long ago and has the console to run that ancient thing?? Although I was playing Halo3 yesterday so I have no room to talk. The video game didn't remind me of the shooting...it's just a video game.

Lots of Diane was great! I love Bishop but this version the storyline has gone on for too long. Let's get to some action...watching Kalinda chauffeur is boring.

Oh Deer.

• Love 5

Lemond needs to move to Switzerland so he can open a bank account with his ill-gotten gazillions, and his son can go to a posh boarding school. He knows he doesn't have a secure future in Chicago, and he can't be so naive as to think that Alicia will go easy on him just because he gave her money (that she never asked for). 

So it does snow in Chicago! Thank God the roads were plowed. And thank God the snow melted by nighttime.

I love that Finn spent the whole day playing Halo.  

• Love 2

Now they can call the show what it really is, The Smug Wife.  

I don't know why I'm watching.  It's not like I want to see Kalinda killed anyway (I'm not spoilered; I have no idea what's happening.)

Poor Niles.

• Love 8

Questions that perplex me:  Where were the kids?  Grace, at least, would have been at home generally, and surely on election night.  Why was the campaign manager working out of Alicia's home instead of the office where there was staff and equipment? 

That is a lovely apartment building; but what the hell kind of security/admission system is there?  Is there just a swinging unlocked screen door at the entrance?  No visitors are ever announced, and they just show up at the actual apartment door after apparently being able to walk onto the elevator..  Even if there is not a doorman (okay, less common in Chicago), a building like that would have an intercom system that would buzz people in, so Alicia would not be opening the door to surprises.  This has bugged me for years.

How the heck did Carey/David know the guest list of who was at the private lodge in Wyoming?  It's one thing for Diane to be feeding them information, but how did they get the guest list?  She clearly did not know who "R.D." was.  And you'd think her husband would have given her some basic bios of the other hunters.  Hmmn, have a mani/pedi/massage/facial or shoot Bambi?  What to do? 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 5

I really liked Diane's sections of the episode, two people debating in good spirits, a bonding session that was disguised as a sparring match. That was a hint of what we used to get in this show - less telling, more showing, and relying on great actors to pull it off.

Yes!! Nothing like reminding us of what made the show a must watch (while attempting to chloroform us with more drawn-out, idiotic campaign/election garbage). I heart Diane so much and she really can pull this show out of the ditch when given the opportunity.

So Alicia thinks Prady is the better guy but still continues the run.   And then has the balls to ask the guy to be HER deputy.

That was a bit painful to watch, especially when I thought we were just getting a shot of Prady stuck in (Peter's) traffic jam, realizing the heinous nature of these two and that he couldn't compete with their corruption. Prady for Governor! is the only election I'm interested in seeing on TGW again. Oh, and I guess the purported slip up that Julianna made at some awards show about how Peter would have a hard time working with Alicia turned out to be a true spoil. Well, "Alicia" does tend to spoil things...

So much they could've shown besides Kalinda trembling with fear in the kitchen.

I was somewhat jolted by the ridiculousness of this new, docile, excommunicated Kalinda who didn't even get to make a call to Alicia this week. Instead we got the Kings' meta-ing the situation to death having Lemond get off of the phone with Alicia to inform Kalinda she would now be a go between. Did I have a 5-year fever dream in which this character never had a contract, never ate shit from anyone (except Alicia), and, above all, knew her worth and was an assertive, intelligent woman?

In "love" news, I spent part of the weekend watching Steven Pasquale's chemistry with Linda Cardellini in Bloodline, so this was, um, unconvincing to say the least.

I like Marissa, but if they want her around more often, they need to stop her writing her as though she's a joke writer for an award show or something. Her dialogue can be painfully try-hard. I did like the donut scene though, and I had my first "yay Alicia!" moment in a long time when she chose the donut I wanted! But it didn't last too long as there was some nonsense about Alicia letting go and indulging in sugar, 'cause I've got zero patience with people who drink small bowls of wine every night and claim to have a low-sugar or no-sweets diet.

Grace is officially without parents now; guess she'll have to keep raising herself. Poor kid though, no Zach around, and two narcissistic messes for guardians. She'll be the one who ends up on the street with a unibrow if something doesn't change!

Where did Jackie disappear to anyway? Is she Lemond's overnight nanny now?

• Love 12

I was so certain Alicia was being set up to lose. Dayum!

I just knew Diane was going to enjoy her first kill. Even though she seemed surprised, I wasn't.

Oliver Platt (R.D.) wasn't ever going to be a one-off. Way to be obvious, Show.

• Love 3

Its shameful how much I love Lemond Bishop.

That's the way I feel about Peter. He's like a French silk pie - I know he's incredibly bad for me, but he's so damn smooth and delicious that I simply can't resist him. 

Oliver Platt (R.D.) wasn't ever going to be a one-off. Way to be obvious, Show.

It wasn't obvious to me, but I'm excited he's sticking around. I would much rather see him as their major recurring client than ChumHum guy or fake Zuckerberg. I used to enjoy Colin Sweeney, but he has worn out his welcome.

Yes!! Nothing like reminding us of what made the show a must watch (while attempting to chloroform us with more drawn-out, idiotic campaign/election garbage). I heart Diane so much and she really can pull this show out of the ditch when given the opportunity.

Dianne's parts of the show were the best. CB is amazing, and I love that this episode really gave her a chance to shine. I thought it was going in a really stupid and predictable direction - sure, all conservative men have equally conservative wives who sit around and bash the President instead of talking about their kids/jobs/lives - but they really turned it around with Platt's character. He and CB had a really fun chemistry, and I loved that they showed that people can have opposing political viewpoints and still like and respect each other.

Also, yay! No more triangle! With Finn or Johnny!

Sadly, for all that was great about this episode, I have zero desire to watch St. Alicia be the state's attorney, and this season may be it for me unless something happens to move her out of that position.

• Love 7

That was more Diane than we've had in a long time and I like it!

If we're going to debate abortion on TV and make women look like wanton sluts instead of sentient beings able to decide what happens to them, can we just not talk about it.   

What sexist asshole conservative wrote Oliver Platt's monologue about 5 month old fetuses? Diane is more than capable of debating this topic sensibly so why not give her the opportunity? Obviously because TPTB wanted to make a bullshit point. Law &Order lost me when they "tackled" abortion and I think TGW just lost me as well.  TGW has been going downhill since they started this SA campaign storyline so since she actually won I'm gone.

Thanks Good Wife..for a peek into Fox News world, typically I only see this when arguments as they are being decimated on TDS.

• Love 7

Are the writers of this show aware that Kathryn Joosten, who played Mrs Landingham on The West Wing (as well as many other great character roles on many TV shows) passed away from cancer 3 years ago?  I found all the references to "get the woman who played the dead secretary on West Wing" incredibly jarring and disrespectful in light of that. 

• Love 22

JM is a producer, right? I don't know how I even thought think that Alicia wouldn't win with JM being a producer. Did the show really take a turn for the worse when JM started to have ultimate input into what happens to Alicia? I have to wonder about that actual timeline.

When Alicia said it to Finn, I KNEW the losing was a misdirect. The fact is, she didn't even really want to do it! For that statement alone, she should not win or should have dropped out. I hate where the show is going/has gone. Next week's preview looked exactly like LG of days gone by. The whole start our own firm was an utter waste of time as nothing has changed at all. It is classic LG all over again. Loved all the Diane stuff though. 

• Love 3

Yes, how about some statistics on how many 5 months and beyond abortions take place that aren't medically necessary (don't want to start debating abortion here.  I'm simply pointing out something Diane might have said other than an open mouthed stare).  

I know the call girl was for humour and maybe I've seen too many unrealistic "girlfriend experience" hookers on TV, but shouldn't that "professional" have been more professional?  I did, however, like the division of the group along gender lines as it pointed out the typical " boys club" behaviour of this elite group.

As for the election - thank god it's over, but does this mean we'll be seeing less of the firm and more of her office, or just an unrealistic amount of SA-LFA interaction considering they seem to be mostly corporate / civil  law these days?

• Love 4

Shouldn't Kalinda have warned Bishop that she's definitely not in good terms with Alicia anymore? I mean., I'm sure Bishop wants Kalinda because he thinks they're still friends. Kalinda should have told him that wasn't such a good idea, that someone else might be better for the job, since they had some "personal" falling and they are barely on speaking terms now. Hell, she should have flat out said she slept with Alicia's husband, and she hates her guts now, I'm sure Bishop would have immediately abandoned that plan to use her.

• Love 2

Bishop wouldn't care. The show's consistently most dangerous character is not going to say, "OK, coolsies. I'll go to jail and Dylan will be a virtual orphan! Don't want  to make thinkgs awkward for you at the office." He's basically keeping the lights on at FLA and he knows it. He put a lot of money into the campaign. He won't give a damn that two people on his payroll are having a little spat. Besides, Alicia doesn't hate Kalinda's guts. People are extrapolating that from the behind the scenes gossip but onscreen we've seen that they are colleagues who get along.

I don't think Alicia should have dropped out (that would have been the stupidest thing ever) and I do think she wanted to win. There were many oportunities for her to throw the election (most recently in this episode when Peter tried to sabotage her) and she took none of them. And she was thrilled when she won.

I agree that the best part of the episode was Diane. I think it emphasises how much more interesting the law firm stuff is than the SA's office. With the law firm, you can write about all sorts of cases and legal issues but with the SA, you're limited to criminal stuff. Plus you lose all the drama of retaining clients, power jockeying, needing money. That cuts your storylines way, way, down. And I don't want a repeat of the season-long pissing match when Carey and Alicia left in season 4.

Liked the Halo stuff. Between this and Frank Underwood, politicians unwinding with first person shooter games

• Love 5
He and CB had a really fun chemistry, and I loved that they showed that people can have opposing political viewpoints and still like and respect each other.

Which is why Diane was as essential as Will was to Lockhart/Gardner. She's a very smart grownup who can deal with people who aren't like her in a way that doesn't condescend/bend over backwards. SO glad the plot machinations have left her in charge of FAL, because it would seem we're going with a 2-plot show from now on: Alicia as the State's Attorney & the CotW at FAL. Which is fine with me. Maybe Julianna wants more time off and to come in and shoot her scenes with a separate cast.

I was really hoping Alicia would lose...and all signs seemed to point to it. But this says to me that they are hinting the endgame will be for Alicia & Peter to get back together in some way because she's discovered she's like him, and they two of them belong together (collateral damage all around them).

And, frankly, I'm OK with this. The making of a politician (Chicago-style) is a realistic character arc for The Good Wife, and if the two of them head off into the national spotlight at the end of next season, I'll buy it.

• Love 4

When Carey was at the SA's office, the show was able to split between the SA and L/G and it worked. They had plenty of overlap, they were able to tell lots of stories and expand the world, no one seemed shortchanged. There's no reason that couldn't happen again. We saw this season with the knockoff Jill Abramson plot, and Elspeth and Josh Perotta, how you can combine the government with a civil case.

I don't really want to see more of the SA's office, though. The only current SA employee we've seen in any detail is Geneva Pine, right? I remember in season 2, when we saw more of that office, the characters weren't that interesting.

• Love 2

And, frankly, I'm OK with this. The making of a politician (Chicago-style) is a realistic character arc for The Good Wife, and if the two of them head off into the national spotlight at the end of next season, I'll buy it.

I agree. I've said it before, if the Florricks embrace the idea that they're a tamer version of the Underwoods (from House of Cards) I'd be on board. Alicia refusing to get off her high horse has been irritating me for like forever. And the idea that she is so clueless that her advisers have to teach her basic stuff (for the audience's benefit, but still) when she's been watching Peter up close for these years ... 

• Love 3

Thank God that election is over. It was still more interesting than Carey's arrest, and at least it changes the direction of the show vs the Carey line.

Alicia had to win. But that was the dullest moment of winning in the history of fake TV elections. Getting the results on the news made her campaign people look like amateurs to me--their intel was saying she lost. If it was close, doubtful the results were called by TV news the minute the polls closed (not to mention batches of votes are always mysteriously held up for hours after the polls close). I really expected the CBS News team to retract their declaration of the winner for at least a little while just to add some drama.

JM was really rocking that tight red dress at the end.

Adore Eli's daughter.

Sorry Prady, you lost even though you were the better candidate. Now you, Finn, campaign manager and apparently Bishop are moving on? Just shoot Kalinda already too, Show.

I thought it was somewhat sexist that Diane didn't want to spend time with the other women and I said to DH when she was "forced" into the spa, watch, she'll find one of these women has a ton of business to give her. Then the call girl storyline had to develop. Really disappointed me. Bet Kurt never gets invited back after his wife put the hard sell on the first guy at an inappropriate moment. But superglad RD Platt will be on the show some.

• Love 4

Wow - I really hated this episode. Even though I loved the thought of lots of Diane, having her not argue the abortion rights issues logically and based on a woman being a human being with rights to do what they wish with their own bodies was beyond deplorable. And Alicia winning?? Just yuck. Think I'm done with this show.

• Love 2

Yes, how about some statistics on how many 5 months and beyond abortions take place that aren't medically necessary (don't want to start debating abortion here.  I'm simply pointing out something Diane might have said other than an open mouthed stare).  

I know the call girl was for humour and maybe I've seen too many unrealistic "girlfriend experience" hookers on TV, but shouldn't that "professional" have been more professional? 

I was thinking she also should have been more sexy or pretty or something.    

And ditto the abortion talk.  

This show is kind of all over the place lately.  I guess Josh Charles picked the right time to bail.

This show sure does have Republicans pegged.  We take hunting holidays together in order to gloat about 6 month old election results.  The little wimmins like to go to the spa and talk about Obama's unemployment numbers.  AND we like to purposefully bring up hot-trigger social issues like abortion with someone we know disagrees with us.  Yep, that's us. 

And an hour of Alicia playing Halo.  

I think I can't stand to watch another minute of this show, ever. 

• Love 8

Bishop wouldn't care. The show's consistently most dangerous character is not going to say, "OK, coolsies. I'll go to jail and Dylan will be a virtual orphan! Don't want  to make thinkgs awkward for you at the office." He's basically keeping the lights on at FLA and he knows it.

Bishop was dropped as a client when Alicia decided to run for SA. All that mess earlier in the season with Cary was about things that allegedly happened back when Bishop still was a client. He secretly funneled money into Alicia's PAC, but he has nothing to do with keeping FLA going anymore.

I wasn't surprised Alicia won the SA's race. Love interest Finn is already in place over at the SA office, so I expect we'll be "treated" to a triangle next season with Finn and Peter.

Prady's comment about Alicia's plans for the SA office being based on pessimism while he's an optimist really says a lot about how much Alicia has devolved from S1-S2 Alicia. That character was a bit naive, but an idealist. She's dropped the naivete but gone straight past the "realist" point to cynicism.

• Love 2

Love interest Finn is already in place over at the SA office, so I expect we'll be "treated" to a triangle next season with Finn and Peter.

Finn's in private practice now, right? His client was the CotW last week (the guy in the wheelchair/plastic gun). He left after he dropped out of the SA race, didn't he? So if he's sticking around (hard to know with Downton), he'll have to be a guy they work with as an associate or co-representation. (Unless Alicia brings him back to work for the SA, which I rather doubt she would/or he would take the job).

• Love 3

It is obvious that Diane goes for salon treatments. Her hair, nails, overall, she looks great.  I remember specifically one show where she was supposed to go for a massage and something happened and she had to come in on a Saturday, or something like that.  Maybe the issue with Bishop when it was all hands on deck? Anyway, it wasn't that she wouldn't enjoy a "spa" day, it was more about the fact that she wanted to network with the power men. Plus, I figure, that she thought that she wouldn't be able to conduct business with the women either. 

• Love 6

Mrs Landingham died, on screen and the actress who played her. All the getting Mrs Landingham comments were awful and made the characters look stupid. Either the writers knew and that wasn't funny or they didn't know and were just dumb.

I wish Alicia would have lost.

So Alica goes after Peter last week, attacks him. Then the campaign manager actually says this week "why is he doing this?" when Peter tries to screw them over? LOL What idiots, I wonder what caused Peter to lash back, hmmm. The fact they have to ask and say that out loud?  

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 7

Bishop was dropped as a client when Alicia decided to run for SA. All that mess earlier in the season with Cary was about things that allegedly happened back when Bishop still was a client. He secretly funneled money into Alicia's PAC, but he has nothing to do with keeping FLA going anymore.

I wasn't surprised Alicia won the SA's race. Love interest Finn is already in place over at the SA office, so I expect we'll be "treated" to a triangle next season with Finn and Peter.

Prady's comment about Alicia's plans for the SA office being based on pessimism while he's an optimist really says a lot about how much Alicia has devolved from S1-S2 Alicia. That character was a bit naive, but an idealist. She's dropped the naivete but gone straight past the "realist" point to cynicism.

I know that Alicia dropped Bishop as a client. The fact remains that he was the sole big client when the firm was starting up, and he dumped a boatload of money into Alicia's PAC. She's beholden to him, he knows it, and he expects to get his money's worth. (Another reason I'm not looking forward to Alicia as SA, since Bishop machinations and Carey's legal problems are not the most interesting parts of the show, and I don't see how the remainder of the season isn't devoted to those two things, even just to set up Archie Panjabi and Mike Colter leaving).

I thought Prady sounded really naive whenever he talked about his optimism. He's a TV host, he's never worked in the system, and Alicia has. What makes him this sincerity is enough? We've seen consistently that Peter is a brilliant political operative (the way he got the NSA off Alicia's back last year remains my favourite thing he ever did). He's slimy, but he gets done what he wants done. We've seen that consistently. A sincere, wide-eyed, belief in your own morality makes you Charles Abernathy and NO ONE respects Charles Abernathy, and he sucks as a judge.

Also, anyone else think it was weird for the show to remind us about Ramona? After Alicia blasts Peter for the latest affair, how does the audience stay on her side when she want to have something with Finn or Johnny? It's one thing if they agree to an open marriage, but another if they don't. Although I think the show is clearing the deck. Finn has someone else and Johnny doesn't want to get involved. So no romantic stuff for Alicia? Does she try to make it work again? What are they doing there? The show really boxed itself into a corner. They've made it so Alicia doesn't have a real marriage, but can't date casually the way a person in her situation would. She has to be involved with the love of her life or the audience won't like her. And you can't have that kind of relationship with two guys you've just met. I think it would have made more sense for Alicia to make a big show of understanding Peter slept with Ramona, so now she gets a sidepiece of her own and no one can say anything.

• Love 1

I thought that Alicia getting elected to SA was pretty much a given when they first introduced this storyline (at the end of last season?). The show seems to have a specific arc/end game for the character. Any doubts were erased over the past couple of episodes when the show made Prady such an unrealistically good guy. The whole "let's not bash each other during the campaign" was just silly. Also not playing along with the donor from a couple of weeks ago.  Prady was too idealistic and one-dimensional.  Really a poorly written character. When the show touched upon campaign issues, there wasn't much difference between Alicia and Prady except Prady wouldn't play dirty at all and was therefore somehow "better" than Alicia.  But otherwise, nothing to show that Prady would be a better SA. The theme on this show has always been playing nice 100% of the time doesn't get the job done. Nothing is black and white; there are always shades of grey.  Even Diane had to betray Will in an interview last season when she was going for the judgeship.  

All that said, I like David Hyde Pierce a lot and will miss seeing him on the show. Like for many of the other storylines on this show, the acting elevates the not-so-great writing.  I mean, the Peter and Diane characters were not particularly well-written initially and were meant to be somewhat one-dimensional foils to Alicia, but the actors do a stellar job of bringing these characters to another level.  That's why I love the guest stars on this show.  The writing is inconsistent but the acting is almost always excellent.  

As for the election - thank god it's over, but does this mean we'll be seeing less of the firm and more of her office, or just an unrealistic amount of SA-LFA interaction considering they seem to be mostly corporate / civil  law these days?

I think the show varies its focus on criminal vs. civil based on what characters and relationships they want to develop. Lately, it's been more corporate/civil (except for the Cary trial) because there was no real adversary in the SA's office.  And last season, they really wanted to focus on the Lockhart/Gardner vs. Florrick/Agos stuff. But in prior seasons, there were more criminal cases when Cary and Peter were in the SA's office.  And when they had Peter go after Will with the bribery case.

I agree that the best part of the episode was Diane. I think it emphasises how much more interesting the law firm stuff is than the SA's office. With the law firm, you can write about all sorts of cases and legal issues but with the SA, you're limited to criminal stuff. Plus you lose all the drama of retaining clients, power jockeying, needing money. That cuts your storylines way, way, down. And I don't want a repeat of the season-long pissing match when Carey and Alicia left in season 4.

I also enjoyed the Diane storyline, but it didn't have much to do with the law firm. It was more about politics and networking. 

The show has always balanced a couple of different storylines at any given time. I don't see why that couldn't continue just because Alicia is in the SA's office.  The show has always had a strong element of politics anyway and was never just about the courtroom.  

Edited by Noreaster
  • Love 1

If I was Alicia, I'd be trying to figure out a way to get rid of Geneva as soon as possible even if the optics look bad. Her actions and behavior as an ASA have been, at the very least, questionable and at worst malicious.  Is there any doubt that she had it in for Cary after he was advanced in the SA's office ahead of her.  She had to know that the case against him was a crock but seemed a bit too zealous in prosecuting it. The SA's office seems to be populated with lawyers who use their power to wage personal vendettas (remember Wendy Scott-Carr) right up to the departing SA James Castro.  If she's smart, Alicia will put an end to this practice and try to run a clean shop.

Edited by cali1981
  • Love 6

Diane is more than capable of debating this topic sensibly

Just to be fair, I don't think anyone, (me anyway), is capable of debating any topic while standing ankle deep in snow with more coming down by the minute. 

Speaking of storms, I wonder if one would brew up on the local scene after Peter's obvious ploy to block traffic at a critical place and time.  Of course, if you wait until 7:55pm to go to the polls, you probably deserved it.

• Love 2

Also, anyone else think it was weird for the show to remind us about Ramona? After Alicia blasts Peter for the latest affair, how does the audience stay on her side when she want to have something with Finn or Johnny? It's one thing if they agree to an open marriage, but another if they don't. Although I think the show is clearing the deck. Finn has someone else and Johnny doesn't want to get involved. So no romantic stuff for Alicia? Does she try to make it work again? What are they doing there? The show really boxed itself into a corner. They've made it so Alicia doesn't have a real marriage, but can't date casually the way a person in her situation would. She has to be involved with the love of her life or the audience won't like her. And you can't have that kind of relationship with two guys you've just met. I think it would have made more sense for Alicia to make a big show of understanding Peter slept with Ramona, so now she gets a sidepiece of her own and no one can say anything.

I think bringing up the Ramona thing was very consistent with the Alicia character. She doesn't let things go ever. (Which is also inline with Alicia never becoming friends with Kalinda again.) In that stream-of-consciousness episode from a couple of weeks ago, I think they touched on this exact topic. Alicia still being mad at Peter yet dreaming of flings with the other men in her life.  It's somewhat hypocritical yet I think also quite human.

• Love 3

I think bringing up the Ramona thing was very consistent with the Alicia character. She doesn't let things go ever. (Which is also inline with Alicia never becoming friends with Kalinda again.) In that stream-of-consciousness episode from a couple of weeks ago, I think they touched on this exact topic. Alicia still being mad at Peter yet dreaming of flings with the other men in her life.  It's somewhat hypocritical yet I think also quite human.

Oh I know, like in the previous episode where it was revealed that Alicia is still mad at Zach for not coming clean about the abortion even though his girlfriend's parents knew and were there and still didn't tell her or Peter about it. It was about two kids doing something stupid then made the hard choice and then tried to move on with their lives. Peter understood that but yet Alicia is still: "How dare he not tell me!" She doesn't get over things at all. 

Edited by readster
  • Love 2

That's why I love the guest stars on this show.  The writing is inconsistent but the acting is almost always excellent.

That's what saved it during its inconsistent times for me...reminds of how Third Watch (also shot in NYC/populated with New York actors) was pretty awful writing-wise, but had some really good acting in it.

• Love 1

Oh I know, like in the previous episode where it was revealed that Alicia is still mad at Zach for not coming clean about the abortion even though his girlfriend's parents knew and were there and still didn't tell her or Peter about it. It was about two kids doing something stupid then made the hard choice and then tried to move on with their lives. Peter understood that but yet Alicia is still: "How dare he not tell me!" She doesn't get over things at all. 

Yep, agreed.  That's why I thought that episode was so great.  It really exposed how hypocritical and irrational the Alicia character can be.  And Alicia was realizing and coming to terms with that. I still have to give that episode a rewatch at some point.  

• Love 2

I liked most of this episode, but had a difficult time getting past whatever the heck that was that Diane had on her head when she was in the blind. She looked insane when she showed up.

I liked most of this episode, but had a difficult time getting past whatever the heck that was that Diane had on her head when she was in the blind. She looked insane when she showed up.

• Love 1

Love the Diane stuff..hated Alicia for winning..and then being okay with losing plus it bothers me that both Alicia and Fin were fine with "single shooting" game after the shooting at the courthouse...

About the only thing I like is Eli's daughter staying on to help Alicia...

THIS! my brother was bound and held at gunpoint (pointed at his head) for 15 mins during a robbery at a store he managed. He didn't leave his room for a year he was so traumatized. Even though my brother was not hurt the thought of him almost losing his life affected me like no other. I couldn't even look at fake blood on Halloween decorations. Stopped reading thrillers, any media where guns were involved was off my radar for years! This happened about ten years ago and it still makes my stomach hurt when I see triggers. I know everyone heals differently but witnessing a murder and barely surviving for your life? The love of your life is shot dead? A year later and you are playing video games? RIGHT.
  • Love 6

People handle trauma differently folks and with different levels of efficacy. I haven't watched the episode yet but from what I've read it was Halo they were playing which is pretty abstracted in it's violence in that it's more flash and less substance and I'm pretty sure they were shooting aliens. Now if they were playing GTA V or something there might have been something to ~gasp~ about but really.

• Love 5