Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E23: BeeSweet Lemonade, BrandYourself, iCPooch, The Home T

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

A 14-year old entrepreneur from Spokane, WA, offers her product which gives pet owners a way to videochat with their animals; a New York-based entrepreneur has a hometown t-shirt that has over $1 million in sales; another New Yorker with proprietary software to manage your online and social reputation; and Barbara Corcoran gathers some of her most successful entrepreneurs for a ski getaway.

That whole T-shirt segment was very strange; it seems like a lot would've come out in the due diligence part, if it had gotten to that stage. Certainly the sharks seemed suspicious.

Admitting I'm not a pet person, I don't see the appeal of the Skype chat for pets. Can dogs even see faces on tablets? I'm surprised none of the sharks asked about that.

Another teacher in my department has one of the Georgia "Home" tees. I've been coveting it all year, but she got it as a gift and didn't know where to order. And now that I know how to get one for myself...? It's a great design, but not at all worth thirty bucks. Plus, as most of the Sharks said, it's just a design that will go out of style sooner or later, and the guy doesn't seem to have any valid ideas for diversification beyond that. One wildly popular t-shirt idea won't go very far a year or two from now.

Makaila (gotta love all the ways parents spell that name) was absolutely adorable, and that's a great business idea - especially for a kid her age. The cynic in me whispered that Daymond's offer was because they hated to send her home empty-handed. I really hope it pays off for all three of them!

Admitting I'm not a pet person, I don't see the appeal of the Skype chat for pets. Can dogs even see faces on tablets? I'm surprised none of the sharks asked about that.

YES they can. I have always loved critters in general but I currently have a dog who is the most TV/computer watching dog I've ever seen. He knows commercials, pictures, and would love Skype chat with his 'buddies' who have moved away. (and yes I thought it was weird too, before I knew him)

Still waiting for tonight's Shark Tank to air here, but I just had to comment on the doggie portion before even seeing it.

• Love 3

My dog would love to Skype, too.  She really liked that segment, or at least the cute doggie demonstrator.  I thought the young woman was terrific, and I would have invested in her.  I didn't understand Mark's objection, that it works in conjunction with a tablet - I don't carry mine around with me, so it could be used.  Or, just buy an inexpensive one. 

I didn't understand the T-shirt business - can't you already buy a T-shirt showing a particular state?  It may not have the word "home" on it, but is that really necessary?

Nothing against the little girl and her father, but wasn't it obvious that the real people running that company were the parents? 

• Love 2

I wondered how easy it was for the dog to push the whole thing over, rip it apart to get the treats and break the tablet.  But that's just me.  I mean, I have a really good dog who has a decent amount of self-restraint (and basically doesn't care if I leave her home alone as long as there is a Kong and some peanut butter involved), but there are tons of idiots out there who would end up leaving a puppy home alone with ICPooch, thinking this was a panacea.  The shattered tablet could be a real recipe for disaster.

• Love 7

I didn't get the T-shirt business, either. To each his own, I thought they were ugly as sin and didn't even qualify as having been "designed". Slap a silhouette of a state or country on a shirt, add the word "home", and people pay $30 for that -- and others from the same location get a thrill when you walk down the street wearing it? Does not compute for me. Find an image of your home state, go to Zazzle.com or a similar site and create and order whatever color and style you want. 

Yes, dogs will recognize images on screen. Many of them watch TV, as do cats. (We had a cat who would watch TV curled in my mother's lap -- but if a nature show came on, he'd jump down to curl up and watch a foot away from the screen like a little kid. Then he'd get up and look for the animals behind the TV. But I digress...) Another problem with that product was it looked you'd have to buy special treats to fit the "one at a time" dispenser. Who knows what they'd cost or if your dog would like them? The young woman was indeed terrific; I assumed she was a really young-looking 20-something, not a 14 year old.

• Love 4

I liked one of the sharks pointing out that Kevin is a jerk to both adults and kids.

I must be a cynic, too. I thought that little girl was so cute that Daymond offered her a deal -- with a contingency -- so that he wouldnt have to break her heart.

I was glad the icPooch inventor had some good answers to their questions (why they had to prompt the dog to go over to the screen).

• Love 3

Finally aired here, woo hoo!

The little girl with the lemonade was so cute. I thought she was really brave talking to the sharks, and was glad she got a deal. Hopefully he comes through on it. She seems wise beyond her years.

The tech guy with the social media thing... I feel like he had a good idea, but way too greedy. Then again if he wants to pay me $100k/year to go read Facebook posts, sign me up!

IC Pooch how cute!  My dog went nutso when this was on, so I couldn't hear half of it, but he liked it.  I'm also the crazy person who bought a DVD to play for my dog called "While You're Away" and my dog tore the TV stand to shreds watching it while I was "away," so maybe I'm not one to judge products for critters, but I do agree that a dog might destroy the thing. As someone who can't even afford a tablet for myself, I can't imagine buying one for my dog just so he could use this product.  I liked the girl and was proud of her for talking to the sharks though. Hopefully she continues to think of ideas and bring them forward to investors.

Not a fan of the T-shirt guy at all. I thought it was cool he looked into the Sharks' backgrounds enough to bring them really personalized t-shirts, but $30 for a tee?  No thanks. I can get a $10 pack of 5 nice t-shirts and iron a state/logo on to it easily for less money than ONE of this guy's shirts. Plus then he was kind of a jerk to the sharks. I think they had fun messing with him though.

• Love 3

Wearing on my old-lady glasses here, but you wouldn't need to hide from others stupid stuff you put on the internet if you didn't put stupid stuff on the internet.

Seriously. This is a business? How do they go about closing the barn door, anyway? It also strikes me that employers who won't hire someone because of a drunken spring break photo are pretty short-sighted. Is it a job that requires a security clearance or government background check? If not, then shut up.

• Love 4

Seriously. This is a business? How do they go about closing the barn door, anyway? It also strikes me that employers who won't hire someone because of a drunken spring break photo are pretty short-sighted. Is it a job that requires a security clearance or government background check? If not, then shut up.

It's not uncommon.  I've known some employers that as part of the application process demand social media passwords in order to see what's out there.  A number of my classmates use either parts of their names (I use my middle name which what I use among my friends, my first name is what I use professionally) or aliases to avoid having hospitals being able to Google us easily.

I must be a cynic, too. I thought that little girl was so cute that Daymond offered her a deal -- with a contingency -- so that he wouldnt have to break her heart.

Line starts behind me.  Also, while that little girl wasn't the worst offender the show has ever had, but I would have been interested to see if her father could have drunk a glass of water while she was talking.  He was in PR, she's his hook.

I honestly don't know which I have less tolerance for "But We're Moms!" or Cute Kids As Mouthpieces for Their Parents.

Lori:  I'm known to say...

Me:  Shut up!

I thought the Home-T guy was a little off, but I have to admit I liked the shirts.  I didn't $30 like them though.

• Love 5

How come nobody used the word "royalty" during the T-shirt segment? He had nice income already coming in and a royalty would fix their objections with little complication. Were I him I'd have countered "$250k for 12% with an 8% royalty until the money is paid back."  That doesn't give away too much but protects the sharks against their fear of a short-lived product.  It's weird that we used to hear that all the time and now that it would work, no one would bring it up.

Similarly, I'm surprised Robert didn't do something more creative with the SEO guy. A few weeks ago we saw him make a venture debt offer to avoid a "down round", right? Well this was the same situation. We don't know what order they were filmed in, but that's how you solve the problem.

The pooch pitch was cute and well-presented, but not only is it a weak idea I've personally seen at least 3 other versions of it and I don't even have a dog. The space is more than full.

Edited by Amarsir

I absolutely loved that Kevin asked the I See Doggy girl what would happen if the dog whizzed on the tablet!  And then I remembered my own dog, who would chew on furniture when a pup, and whoopos, there goes an expensive tablet or two.  But, then again, a 14 year old doesn't have to worry about PAYING for the Most Expensive Chew Toy in the Universe!

The doggy app was familiar; IIRC someone was on the Canadian Dragon's Den with a similar product. (They didn't get a deal IIRC, but they didn't present as smoothly as this crew). Seems to be the latest 'big thing' for pet owners, and I think they had a lot of similar comments that the Sharks had too. 

The Search Engine cleaner would probably have been better asking for 1 million for 5 or 7%, and tried to negotiate upward. For me, my job is stable so I don't really look into that sort of thing as much. (Plus I don't post things I don't want to be seen; my FB profile is as locked down as I can make it. :) )

The Tshirt guy, that idea is a bit strange. I think Shark Tank may kill his brand; he might get a Shark Tank bump, but once it fades, everyone and their dog will be able to copy it if they want. Any tshirt shop could do it, since you can't really lock down the shape of states and countries. Passing on Damon's offer was a mistake; at least with Damon's support, the bump would be huge, enough to go find something else later on. 

Plus, I'm thinking he got Kevin's wrong; checking Kevin's wiki, Massachusetts isn't anywhere in his history; Quebec or Ontario would be better picks for him. It shows he didn't really research the Sharks enough IMO. Robert's Croatian background has been in the show a lot, but Kevin's Canadian background has been much more subtle. I think that's why Lori asked what was on his shirt; she realized he had the wrong shirt basically. 

Finally, the Lemonade girl was a great pitcher and did a great presentation for her product. But I feel like something is missing. The name mentions Bees, so I would expect it would be honey sweetened or something, but there was nothing in the pitch we saw about it. She said something about helping Bees at the start of her pitch, but there weren't any more details and the Sharks didn't dig into it. I get the feeling that may have been in the cutting room floor.

• Love 1

I wondered how easy it was for the dog to push the whole thing over, rip it apart to get the treats and break the tablet. 

For my dog, that would be his afternoon entertainment.  The heck with chatting with with mom or dad - give me something I can destroy! He can stay very busy when we're not home, trust me!

Edited by mwell345
  • Love 2

Not sure who I thought was cuter: Yoyo the Spokesdog for ICPooch, or Mikaila the Lemonade Tycoon. I'd have easily taken either or both home and fed them and enjoyed the rampant cuteness.

I didn't think Daymond was giving Mikaila a pity deal. She could end up a terrific protégée for him, young, focused and creative. He may well be investing not only in the lemonade (which I've decided I must try) but in future ideas.

Saw nothing original or attractive in the t-shirts - they looked generic to me - and I agree that the social media 'repairer' had a good product but a) overvalued it and b) was unprepared to deal with the fact that other companies were already there with similar programs and lots more money, especially for advertising.

Barbara's "All Star Retreat" was the least interesting 'where are they now?' follow up I've seen so far.

Barbara's "All Star Retreat" was the least interesting 'where are they now?' follow up I've seen so far.

That's actually her second one of those.  Her first was to the Hamptons.

• Love 1

Finally, the Lemonade girl was a great pitcher and did a great presentation for her product. But I feel like something is missing. The name mentions Bees, so I would expect it would be honey sweetened or something, but there was nothing in the pitch we saw about it. She said something about helping Bees at the start of her pitch, but there weren't any more details and the Sharks didn't dig into it. I get the feeling that may have been in the cutting room floor.

Yeah I was wondering about that too, particularly when Lori (I think?) said she was allergic to something in the lemonade so she couldn't taste it. I know just about every food on the planet probably has at least a handful of people allergic to it, but I've never heard of a lemon allergy. Honey seems like a more likely culprit.

Oh about the t-shirts, forgot to mention I happened to run across a rack of t-shirts in a Rite Aid earlier today. They were "home town" t-shirts and had my town's name printed on them. There were also some for the state of California including some with a picture of the state. They were on a small display that also had a bunch of various souvenirs. I imagine it's probably been there a long time and I just never noticed it before because I'm not generally in the market for postcards, shot glasses, or t-shirts with my town's name on them. It's not a major town, just a community within a larger county (so we're not talking San Francisco, LA, that kind of thing - I like where I live but it's far from a touristy destination).  They also had some with the names of the local middle schools and high schools on them.  The shirts were a nice heavy cotton and $12. If they've got them for my little area, I'm betting they've got them for all the small communities.

• Love 1

The dog tablet doohickey in their demo was using an iPad but it wasn't clear to me if it was explicitly an iPad compatible doohickey, or if it were intended to work with other tablets. I can't remember if they discussed it. (I admit I was bored this episode and not paying super close attention.) Did the stand have any sort of connector on it? Or was it just a stand? Would it work with devices of different sizes? If it could really work with any tablet at all, then yeah, there are tons of cheapo androids out there some people might not mind leaving home with their dog to possibly get destroyed. If it's explicitly intended to fit/work with a full size iPad only, the market is down to people willing to basically buy their dogs an iPad, which might have range somewhat outside the incredibly wealthy, because some people spend idiotic amounts of money on their pets for stuff that's really about appeasing the human...but even so...that's another small pool of people. Something that niche I think generally needs to be super expensive all around so you can just flat out go for those people willing to spend big bucks to try to make a profit off said small pool of people. Giant margins are necessary.

T-Shirt dude made me feel weird because I get why he felt it was insane to have a valuation of less than his current 12 month sales, but it's also insane to think he'll be able to keep it up or grow. Like, dude, you're in league with the snuggie, make a killing while you can and get out, and come up with your next equally trendy idea thing that'll balloon and bust shortly thereafter. I couldn't tell if he genuinely didn't understand that (and therefore is an idiot) or if he was just trying to play an angle he thought would appear slightly more sympathetic after his appearance.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 1

The dog tablet doohickey in their demo was using an iPad but it wasn't clear to me if it was explicitly an iPad compatible doohickey, or if it were intended to work with other tablets. I can't remember if they discussed it. (I admit I was bored this episode and not paying super close attention.) Did the stand have any sort of connector on it?

It looked like it had some kind of dongle on it that would allow you to connect any kind of tablet (I'm pretty much Apple only, but I assume most everything else uses a microUSB), and there's an ICPooch app on Google Play.  I'm assuming the connector is only technically there to allow you to give a treat, since a tablet battery should (in theory at least) last at least 10 hours, and if you're so into your dog that you need to be constantly videochatting with him/her more than your battery will stand, you've got bigger problem.

• Love 2

I wouldn't buy an iPad for my dog, no, but I've upgraded twice since they came out and that old iPad 1 is collecting dust now. But my dog was the kind that had to smell something to be interested.

I had a 50 lb foster puppy with terrible separation anxiety - she basically could not be left alone as she'd try to break a window to get out of the house to find her people, or break her teeth off trying to bust out of a crate. On the advice of a trainer I bought her a remote treat dispenser to try to teach her that good things happen when I walk out the door.

She very quickly learned how to beat the treats of the dispenser with her big strong puppy paws, and destroying a tablet in the process wouldn't have bothered her one bit.

• Love 3

I've seen "home." stickers/magnets on cars around here (NC/SC) with the same typeface, so I assume they were from the same guy, and he said he was originally from NC. I wonder why he didn't mention/show the magnets or the sales. Has anyone else seen them?

• Love 1

I've seen "home." stickers/magnets on cars around here (NC/SC) with the same typeface, so I assume they were from the same guy, and he said he was originally from NC. I wonder why he didn't mention/show the magnets or the sales. Has anyone else seen them?

He had a whole bunch of other products besides the shirts that was on the display area. He said the non shirt sales were 10% of his business.

Yeah I was wondering about that too, particularly when Lori (I think?) said she was allergic to something in the lemonade so she couldn't taste it. I know just about every food on the planet probably has at least a handful of people allergic to it, but I've never heard of a lemon allergy. Honey seems like a more likely culprit.

Allergic reactions to lemons can occur. But it is more commonly an allergic reaction to citrus which is in lemons and other fruits

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17378262 is a medical research paper about  lemon soap causing anaphylaxis in a person. 

Edited by nobodyyoucare
  • Love 2

The T-shirt guy lost me when he said he wore a T-shirt from a state that wasn't even his home. I totally agree with Daymond -- he was there for the free exposure and advertising (as a marketing/PR guy), not a deal. And his sales did seem like a bubble that was going to burst at some point.

Sometimes I wonder if Kevin intentionally sabotages the deals by constantly bringing up the valuation from the offer. You'd think sometimes in the heat of the moment, the entrepreneurs would get caught up in the moment and accept a deal -- and there's Kevin to bring them back to reality. Maybe he's just looking out for his fellow sharks' money.

I just don't believe anyone who is offering only 5% and won't budge much from that seriously wants a deal. Thanks to Daymond, I'll be side-eying all 5% pitches from now on.

My dog would love to Skype, too.  She really liked that segment, or at least the cute doggie demonstrator.  I thought the young woman was terrific, and I would have invested in her.  I didn't understand Mark's objection, that it works in conjunction with a tablet - I don't carry mine around with me, so it could be used.  Or, just buy an inexpensive one. 

I didn't understand the T-shirt business - can't you already buy a T-shirt showing a particular state?  It may not have the word "home" on it, but is that really necessary?

Nothing against the little girl and her father, but wasn't it obvious that the real people running that company were the parents? 

I've had unused tablets laying around for ten years, I think.  And the iPad I do use could easily be stuck in a stand when I leave for 12 hour days (if I did that).  But I don't think my dogs would get comfort from my voice and a cookie.  They want their alpha home, not a chat and a treat.  I agree with Daymond (or was it Lori?) that it's for the people to feel better about leaving their dogs alone all day, not the dogs.  

Is there a reason you can't just stand up your iPad on anything with Skype running and talk to your dog, without giving treats?  I know people who've talked to their dog over the old style answering machines.  

Wearing on my old-lady glasses here, but you wouldn't need to hide from others stupid stuff you put on the internet if you didn't put stupid stuff on the internet.

I agree.  Who pays $5000/year to hide their stupid pics?  Who was their big competitor anyway?  

I wanted someone to ask t-shirt dude what a Colorado or Wyoming or other rectangle state t-shirt looked like.  A rectangle with "home" in the middle?  

My teen has an English assignment to invent a product that is a combo of two existing products, that doesn't already exist, that could, and write a paper about it and submit it in a contest.  I spouted off about ten ideas off the top of my head.  Heh. 

I looked it up. This guy (https://www.etsy.com/shop/HomeStateApparel?ref=s2-header-shopname) says he's the original "home." t-shirt guy (and magnet guy--I knew I didn't make up or dream seeing them), and he's from NC. I hope he gets a boost from the show. His stuff looks better, is cheaper, and doesn't say "the home. t" under the state, which bugged me on the show.

I'm tempted to buy from the guy on etsy but I have a tattoo of the state of NC. That's not a joke. I'm an at-least-eighth-generation North Carolinian. I like calling North Carolina home! Pun.

• Love 3

I thought the doggy TV idea was pretty poor. First, you have to assume your dog is anxious the ENTIRE time you're gone, not just the 1-2 minutes immediately after you leave. Then, that they will respond/want to hear from you throughout the day. Third, that they won't tear that I-pad and device apart trying to get more treats.

When the owners first came out, I thought they were a typical married couple until she said she was 14!!! The guy loved the product so much he quit his full-time job to run it! I don't blame the girl for coming up with a weak product; she'll grow and learn. The guy, though.....I hope his wife is a very understanding lady once she realizes what he's given up for this girl's "dream" product.

Lori wasn't allergic to the lemonade. She just knew from watching The Wizard of Oz that if she touched the liquid in the glass, she'd melt.

• Love 1

I think the doggy TV people have ignored a huge niche market for that product: veterinarians. When I board my dog at the vet's place, I worry that he'll be lonely or not getting enough attention. They could mount those iPads at each cage and I could talk to my dog when I am out of town. It could also be a big bonus for people who pet sit, to advertise that while you're away and someone's looking after Fido and Fluffy, you can talk to them.

• Love 3

When I've had to board my cats, I have been known to call the vet's office and ask how my cats are doing. I'm sure the vet's office thinks I'm completely nuts. If I had the means, I wouldn't be above installing cameras in my home to watch my cats sleep during the day. And invite the neighborhood cats over to play poker and get high on the 'nip.

• Love 5

I don't know if dogs are like kids but when ever I dropped my kids off at school or daycare and they were anxious it made it worse to keep going back in and checking on them. I don't know if dogs would get anxious again when your broadcast ended or not.

The 14 year old who presented this was so self-possessed and poised. Wish I had more of that!!

• Love 1

According to the BrandYourself website:

The first step to improve your results – and suppress unwanted results – is to create lots of search-engine-friendly websites and profiles about you.

So it's not that they remove or hide anything, they just try to make sure the stuff that comes up at the top of the search results is all feel good positive stuff. I think a lot of employers get plenty of applicants have no idea how to actually pick out good people, so they look for stupid but easy ways to screen out candidates and cut down the numbers. 

I don't know if dogs are like kids but when ever I dropped my kids off at school or daycare and they were anxious it made it worse to keep going back in and checking on them. I don't know if dogs would get anxious again when your broadcast ended or not. 

I know that if I let my dog listen to my sons or my best friend on the phone, she starts looking around the house, wondering where the person is and it makes her stressed.  My take?  Let sleeping dogs lie :-)

• Love 1

I looked it up. This guy (https://www.etsy.com/shop/HomeStateApparel?ref=s2-header-shopname) says he's the original "home." t-shirt guy (and magnet guy--I knew I didn't make up or dream seeing them), and he's from NC. I hope he gets a boost from the show. His stuff looks better, is cheaper, and doesn't say "the home. t" under the state, which bugged me on the show.

Thanks for the link! Wow, those are nearly identical to the ones on the show. I suppose that t-shirt designs can't be copyrighted, but if they could, the original guy would clearly have a case. If I ever do order a tee, I'd definitely go with the Etsy sellers over the guy on Shark Tank.

Oh, and I think the #1 online profile management company is Reputation.com. I listen to podcasts instead of the radio, but I'm pretty sure I've heard their ads sponsoring some of the podcasts I follow.

• Love 1

basiltherat, I think you answered your own question: their target market is folks with champagne tastes and a beer budget. They don't want Poochie to be lonesome but they can't afford a doggy nanny or doggy daycare, so they go with the future landfill item. 

I think the doggy TV people have ignored a huge niche market for that product: veterinarians. When I board my dog at the vet's place, I worry that he'll be lonely or not getting enough attention. They could mount those iPads at each cage and I could talk to my dog when I am out of town. It could also be a big bonus for people who pet sit, to advertise that while you're away and someone's looking after Fido and Fluffy, you can talk to them.

That's a really good point!  One of the higher end dog boarding places around here has webcams set up in all of their play areas so you can watch your dog throughout the day if you want to.They're in the group play type areas, not individual cages, but I'm willing to bet people would pay more to be able to watch their own dog in his/her area, and probably love the option of "chatting" with them. Our pet sitter is pretty high tech as well - she has a blog and puts up pictures throughout the day as she makes her rounds of pet sits and walks. I doubt she could afford to get a bunch of these herself, but I can see her recommending them, and if her clients bought one I can see her scheduling time during her visits where she and the pet would chat with the owner. I still think having the treats in there is a bad idea and inviting disaster, but I can see how some might like the chat function.

• Love 1

To be fair though, with every single person practically a papparazzi now and social media just a few clicks away, stupid stuff about yourself getting uploaded to the internet doesn't have to be necessarily just coming from you. You have to avoid stupid friends, avoid possible stupid situations, etc. (which sometimes can be out of your control, etc.). Basically, just be a perfect person and stay home.

I'm glad the T-shirt guy didn't take that deal from Daymond. I usually like Daymond but I didn't like it that he offered a deal to the guy because he would want to work with the guy, but just so he could prove his point. I wouldn't want a partner like that either. On that note, he should have maybe try to counter at 15%. But yeah, I agree with Mark that he shouldn't have had to take those deals because he had a fair enough valuation that can be justified by his sales. There's risk involved, but the sharks were putting too much premium on the risk, IMO. 

I doubt she could afford to get a bunch of these herself, but I can see her recommending them, and if her clients bought one

A pet sitter could be doing this without their iPad, by taking her own wherever she goes and using FaceTime to let the owners see their pet when she's there. Same with the vets. Nobody needs this product when you can do it yourself with your own tablet or computer. I knew a guy 15 years ago who set up a webcam in his home so he could watch his dogs when he was at work. A bunch of us had the link and we had a ball watching these dogs play or sleep all day.

In other words, the idea is great but you don't need to buy this product. Unless you want a really expensive way to give your dog treats whlle you are away.

• Love 1