Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E11: We Built This Glee Club

Tara Ariano

It might also have to do with the prestige of the actor in question.  No one wants to be the one to deny Emma Watson (and her fans) her next movie role - rules can be broken there*.  No-name working actors are a different story.

*Not to say that Brown (I think?) was bending its rule for EW, but it wouldn't be surprising if they more quickly facilitated whatever paperwork she needed to take a smaller course load or leave of absence.

I don't understand why it has to be 1 or the other for Rachel, can't she just do a part time schedule at NYADA and still work on the show? People work and attend school at the same time.

People do but Rachel has already tried to do that and failed.  Given that I can see her wanting to focus on one or the other at least for a year or so.  

Aside from my earlier gripe about Sue poisoning people, I have to say that I actually enjoyed this one. I loved seeing Jesse again and thought his duet with Rachel was great, I liked all of the competition performances and for once I thought ND deserved the win (okay, actually for the second time; I loved Don't Rain on My Parade back in season one), and I am glad that Rachel decided on her own to go back to school and didn't let anyone pressure her (although I also enjoyed Jesse telling her that her mistake was quitting Funny Girl, because that's so true).

I'm looking forward to our finale liveblog thread next week!

• Love 1

The awfulness of Chandelier is why i didn't want them to win. Still i knew they would.  As for past victories I think ND deserved it for S1 sectionals and S3 nationals.  

ETA: While I agree about laughing at some of the Samchel fans, it still bugs me all of the destruction their whatever left in its wake.  As a Finn fan, i will never not be taken back by that whole high school memory wall fiasco,  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 3
Did Sam and Rachel break up off screen? Were they ever even officially together? They haven't had even a hint of romantic interaction in the last couple of episode and this week Rachel's calling him a friend and kissing another guy, so guess that flamed out fast. It's actually kind of hilarious that it was just dropped after all that build up. Only on Glee.

I'm on the bus with the other posters laughing at Samchel fans hopping with joy over no Mercedes and now how Samchel limply petered out in the most pathetic way possible.   

Talk about erectile dysfunction of the legendary Samchel chemistry.

• Love 1

For what it's worth, I don't think the show ever really tried to sell Samchel as some great love affair. But yeah some of the fans certainly did, which I never understood.

I liked this episode for the reasons mentioned already. Not gonna lie, the deadpan line about Kesha being famous for 5 mins before fading away got me pretty hard haha.

• Love 1
For what it's worth, I don't think the show ever really tried to sell Samchel as some great love affair. But yeah some of the fans certainly did, which I never understood.

Not when Sam & Rachel were interacting but Mercedes being their number 1 cheerleader and Sam's prominence, coupled with Finn's limited presence, in Rachel's high school memories seemed like a hard push.  Sam/Rachel acting like this was a temporary thing,  while the writing went to great lengths to downplay their previous relationships, was a very strange and frustrating dichotomy.

Edited by camussie
  • Love 2

I agree, I don't think the show wrote Samchel as this epic serious love. From the start, they made it clear that this relationship was about Rachel moving on and casually enjoying dating again. Nothing about the relationship seems serious to me, which surprised me because I thought they would take Rachel going back into dating more seriously.

I think the fans saw it as more because of the amount of duets, Rachel being the lead and Mercedes cheer-leading. 

The Mercedes cheerleading is what's most irritating for me in this whole Samchel ball of nothing. Mess. 

Yeah, this is the only thing I hated in the Samchel mess. Otherwise, I didn't care because the set-up and build-up to them getting together was stupid and not interesting to me. So I became indifferent to them, but I hate the part Mercedes played in this mess.

The Mercedes cheerleading is what's most irritating for me in this whole Samchel ball of nothing. Mess. 

PREACH you can tell the writers knew they had already screwed the pooch. I say this because of the beautiful build up they gave Sam and Mercedes in season 5 and going as far as to let them have serious discussions about a future together, ILYs, Mercedes saying how it would burn her to see him with other girls, and the cherry on top with Rachel saying they were "soulmates". Jump to S6 and Rachel has feelings (I say her because Sam was still saying he loved Mercedes, was hypnotized to think he loved Rachel (story line just dropped) and we only got Rachel's POV IMO. So its just my opinion that the only way they thought anyone would even stop saying WTF was to let Mercedes be the head cheerleader for them getting together. But to me it only made it more awkward because they were pushing too hard to make her okay with it. Sort of saying to the audience "hey look guys Mercedes is okay with it so you should be too", unfortunately most of the audience wanted no part of that pairing.

So yeah they knew they screwed up but their arrogance and limited writing abilities led them to pushing forward with this mess of a story line. They could have easily given her a fellow teacher or a guy from the Lima Bean for the whatever this turned out to be any way.

I think Sam and Rachel was just another FU to the fans because they rejected it in S5 and to me most fans except those who are fanatical about Sam and will take him with anyone but Mercedes would have rooted for him probably getting with Sue or Becky (even though she got a man) if Sam with Mercedes was the other option.

They screamed about "Respect Sam Evans" when he was with Mercedes the one girl in my opinion who treated him the best. But when he became a non-talking, non-thinking, no story line of his own prop for Rachel not one of them muttered to "Respect Sam Evans" then. I'll be waiting for the finale if Sam and Mercedes do end together to completely lose their delusional minds and cry about how Sam and Rachel were a love story meant to withstand ALL the tests of time. I can't with some of these Glee fans and especially some forums who let them spout so much hate and vitriol toward a character just because she probably didn't fit what they considered to be good enough for Sam (well that is what they will say but I have my own reasons and I'll leave it at that).

Edited by Ann Mack

So New Directions does three numbers at Sectionals and not ONE of the Warblers gets a solo or even a featured part? I'm pretty sure they would've screamed bloody murder before allowing that to happen.

• Love 2

Blaine starts next semester and since Glee time is around November 2014 I would assume that means he is starting January 2015.  Rachel as well since she is returning to NY the same time they are.  

On another note this was Joaquin's (the cinematographer's) directing debut.  I thought he did a good job especially in that last trophy scene.   

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1

Thanks, I wonder if that means that Kurt, Blane and Rachel head back to New York after sectionals and that in the Nationals flash forward next episode that they are there supporting ND as opposed to still being their directors.

Will clearly said he coaches were heading back to NY shortly so yes it seems we get a short flash forward to nationals where they are there as supporters not coaches and then the 5 year flash forward

It might also have to do with the prestige of the actor in question.  No one wants to be the one to deny Emma Watson (and her fans) her next movie role - rules can be broken there*.  No-name working actors are a different story.

*Not to say that Brown (I think?) was bending its rule for EW, but it wouldn't be surprising if they more quickly facilitated whatever paperwork she needed to take a smaller course load or leave of absence.

I don't think it does.  Laura Benanti and Melissa Errico were complete unknowns when they were cast in their first big shows, and both were supported by their schools in their decisions. (Errico graduated from Yale, and Benanti never returned to Tisch).

Melissa Errico has talked openly about how Yale let her do "Yale by Mail" when she was cast in the National Tour of Les Miz before her freshman year of college:

Regardless, Melissa decided she could do it but then had to call her parents and ask if she could put off going to Yale! They said yes and she wound up doing her first-year courses via correspondence, or as she called it, "Yale by Mail." She wound up spending so long on the road that she missed a whole year of school.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/onstage-backstage-i-hit-ews-bullseye-corbin-bleu-is-jesus-melissa-errico-do-192595/P2

And Playbill just did an article on the whole situation with Tisch when Laura Benanti was cast as an understudy in "The Sound of Music" right before she was supposed to start her freshman year:

She remembered, "The dean was like, 'Listen, go see if you like it because you may not like it! And, if you don't then you can come back for something else, and if you do like it, and you're good at it, and you get to be on Broadway, then you just saved your parents $40,000 a year.' Every time I would be like, 'Okay, I'm going to go back to school,' I would get another job, so I figured, 'Let me just ride this wave until it's dry, and then I'll go back to school.'"

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/skipping-school-for-the-biggest-journey-of-her-life-laura-benanti-on-the-sound-of-music-343568

A lot of performing arts schools don't really let you enroll in school and do a professional job because you'll never be in class.  They just have you defer or withdraw.  You can usually go back if you want to.  That's the point of the school anyway, prepare so that you can get that professional job.

I liked Kurt and Jesse providing their thoughts much more than Sam cause they actually have something valid in the discussion to contribute.  Rachel was way more willing to hear Jesse and Kurt out, which made a lot of sense cause they actually understand the situation or can relate to it.  Sam's just not in the right position to be giving any advice on the subject.  He didn't even get into a school, doesn't want to be a performer, and has no real understanding of the implications.  His rationale boiled down to here are a few random people that finished college first but without any actual reasoning.  It's just well these guys did it so you should to.   That's not really a good reason to do something.

• Love 3

I really liked this episode. The Sue thing on first watch did make me angry, but I loved Wil's little revenge. Enjoyed every song, even ones I was at first hear kind of iffy about. Much prefer Noah and ND 's version of Take me to Church over the original.

Loved that Blaine was restricted in his screentime and lines, and that Kurt got a good scene with Rachel and was used more than usual.

Jesse!!! My St. Berry otp made me so very happy (although editing their duet was a shame. I've been playing that song multiple times each day and love the full version. I' m going to end up buying this season's DVD just because this one episode gave me more joy than seasons 3 thru 5 combined.

The trophy room scene made me cry both times (yes, I've watched tonight's episode twice already :-D

Oh, I loved the egg comment! Nice little dig at the fans that can't let Jesse's one mistake go,

Edited by Casual Viewing
  • Love 3

The only good thing about this episode was the same as the only good things about the entire season--when it went totally over the top Cartoonish and we could forget, for a few moments, about the stupid badly written melodrama.

So stuff like Sue practically having Superpowers, and able to warp reality, to pull off elaborate plans to commit anti-Glee club evil?  Great. Sectionals being totally ridiculous, as it usually is?  Fine.  

The rest?  Total garbage.  As per usual in the past few years, but in particular this season.

Edited by Kromm

Don't know about the US but in the UK it can be considered assault.

In the UK what is it considered when an able bodied woman pushes a paraplegic out of his wheelchair, "apologizes" and smirks about it? Or when a young woman purposefully goes out of her way to make another young woman go through an eating disorder? Or a young man cheating on his girlfriend while still trying to get her to sleep with him, exposing her to goodness knows what? Are we really going to go the dozens in a battle of "your faves are problematic" or accept that every character makes mistakes? I hope we do the latter.

• Love 7

I actually watch most of this.

The Hummelberry talk was sweet.

The Rachel/Jesse duet didn't look like Rachel and Jesse but Lea and Jonathan. Was still great though. Was Jesse always that hot?

Apparently I don't mind Otis when he's not murder classics or singing about skinny bitches. He still needs to stand very very still when he sing.

Kitty continues to rock. Madison and Jane are awesome.

The gender balance in the New Directions makes them look creepy. That little kid creeps me out too.

Also they should done the acrobatics at competitions when they actually had someone who was good at them.

Rachel made a mature decision on her own. Am I watching Glee?!

Wasn't moved by the flashbacks at all. Nice to see a smiling Tina though.

In the UK what is it considered when an able bodied woman pushes a paraplegic out of his wheelchair, "apologizes" and smirks about it? Or when a young woman purposefully goes out of her way to make another young woman go through an eating disorder? Or a young man cheating on his girlfriend while still trying to get her to sleep with him, exposing her to goodness knows what? Are we really going to go the dozens in a battle of "your faves are problematic" or accept that every character makes mistakes? I hope we do the latter.

I wasn't saying it was right or wrong just that's why people might still have a problem with it.

Pushing a paraplegic out of his chair is self defence when he starts the assault though.

On watching the episode for a second time (and it's been ages since I've done that and it didn't feel like punishment), I caught the line right before Rachel's talk with Sam that Kurt was the one who had selected ND's set list. And looking back on the performances, it's obvious that his personal stamp was all over it. Take Me To Church reflected Kurt's distrust of organized religion and his humanist perspective. Then you had Chandelier which was about not just his struggles, but the struggles of everyone who'd been in New Directions over the years. Then we finished off with Come Sail Away, which reflected coming to a place of peace, happiness and security. When I first saw the songs listed, I thought that there was a lack of connection between the songs to make a cohesive set list. But then seeing them performed, I could see the connection and it worked.

And this was the first competition set in years when I wasn't hitting the mute button so... achievement!

Rachel's storyline, for all that it was the central thread of the season was the weak link. But what we got in this episode was Rachel finally starting to grow up. She spoke with more honesty about what seemed to motivate a lot of her decisions (that if she turned an opportunity down, that would close the door on future opportunities) and then making what was, to me, a very brave choice. The easy thing would have been to take the Broadway role and just slip back into her old patterns of being the "star", but she resisted that. For the first time in what seems like forever, Rachel didn't fall prey to flattery and showed some real wisdom in her choice. To turn down the immediate gratification for the slower path. She finally started to grow up.

As much as I was enjoying watching ND perform, I was loving watching the faces of Rachel and Kurt watching them. The pride that they'd gotten the kids this far and just being moved by the performances. Kurt was right about there being a special joy in being inspired by others, whether it's a teacher who can help shape you or just another performer really doing something special. As artists, they need to be open to that instead of just focusing on their own successes.

This season, it felt like after Homecoming, the show lost its way and we got bogged down in a lot of nonsense (*coughSamchelcough*) that wasted a lot of time and went nowhere. How unfair is it that the show finally gets its footing right before the end?

• Love 4

Jesse St. James!!!! Normally I am against multiple exclamation marks but Jesse St. James deserves them! I was so happy to see him (as opposed to mopey Patrick on Looking). He looked happy, he sounded great, he always has good chemistry with Rachel, and he gave her some much needed truth (leaving Funny Girl was a huge mistake). I wish he had shown up earlier in the season. Maybe then we wouldn't have had to deal with all that Sam/Rachel garbage.

I was cracking up at the pep talk before the competition when we got to see NNND and their four coaches. Good lord, with that many advisors they could practically have private lessons for every member.

Seeing all the other trophy flashbacks made me realize how invested I was in ND winning in the earlier seasons and how I didn't really care if they won this competition. 

Once again, the camera work was terrible during Sue and Will's discussion at the end of the episode. Who the hell decided that long conversations require camera on Will, zoom in slightly, zoom out slightly, camera on Sue, zoom in slightly, zoom out slightly, repeat ad nauseum?

The whole thing with Spencer's ankle was just stupid. They had more than enough members to compete so they didn't need him as they would have in past years. I understand him wanting to participate but they really didn't need to concoct ridiculous ways to incorporate him like sitting on a chandelier.

As for him and Roderick being hidden in the back row, that's not uncommon. My show choir was kind of like NNND in that we did not have 20+ members who were all amazing singers and dancers. We had some people who could sing really well but not dance very well. We also had some guys who could barely do either (but we just needed more guys). People who weren't as coordinated mostly got hidden in the back. One year due to budget cuts, we had to combine two choir classes into one so the show choir and the classical choir (meaning the choir that wore suits and long dresses and just stood on the risers to sing without any dancing at all) were in the same period. To make things simple, both choirs learned each other's songs. Sometimes we had some of the people from the classical choir who wanted to perform with us but they couldn't dance to save their lives so they stood in little groups on the side or sat on stools in small groups. They didn't dance at all. And it also provided some strong singing while the show choir danced (if you have ever been to a show choir competition, you know that if the singers are too far upstsage or doing a lot of turns, the volume of the singing comes and goes and some judges will deduct points for that). But my point is that there were solutions for dealing with Spencer's ankle (as well as him and Roderick not dancing well).

I couldn't have cared less about Sectionals and who won, and haven't since the originals won Nationals, but seeing Jesse again brought me so much happiness, and later, seeing clips of Finn brought me so much devastation. This show had so much spark and life to it, and it's sad to see that it's all faded away.

• Love 2

Jesse St. James......He makes everything better.  That voice and NOT just his singing one.   Even when he holds basic convsersations...............My god how could Rachel resist.   The man could get me to do anything he wanted.   When he told Rachel if she didn't have a place in NY she could always stay with him.  Sigh.

He's just always seemed to GET her, even when he didn't like what she was doing.   

Really liked there song.   And if possible I think Jesse came off as even MORE flirtatious with Rachel than ever before.  I wasn't expecting that.   But I have my endgame and for the first time in a long time Glee has made me truly happy.

• Love 8

The Will and Sue stuff was pure tedium (though I did like him getting some revenge on her). Other than that, this was a great episode.

The show really should have Rachel end with Jesse. The chemistry with her and Sam is non existent by comparison and I do think Jesse is her equal as well.

The Sectionals stuff was good. Liked Vocal Adrenaline's We Built This City and Hey Mickey.

Roderkick and Spencer going to Kitty for dancing advice was smart.

New Directions taking on Take Me To Church, Chandelier and Come Sail Away. Guess they really did deserve that final win.

Can't believe it's the final two episodes next week but I'll miss this show, even if it's right for it to end, 8/10

Kurt's and Rachel's pride and Kurt's speech about how they inspired those kids was nice but felt very unearned and therefore way too self congratulatory. He and Rachel never seemed all that connected to those kids. Rachel finding the strength to give NY another try through coaching would have been a good story. It just isn't one they told

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1

Ryan Murphy should be getting down on his knees thanking the gods that JGroff has enough love for Lea that he was willing to come back to this hot mess.  However, since Ryan is perpetually clueless, I'm more than happy to do so on his behalf. 

I was expecting them to toss Jesse  in as a hail mary at the end of the episode, so I was thrilled to get him less than 5 minutes in.  I'm not really sure what was going on during "Listen to Your Heart" because I was too busy trying to pick up the panties that had immediately dropped when Jesse started to sing.  

In all truth though St.Berry has been my OTP forever, mainly because Jesse truly gets who Rachel is, who she could be and what she needs to do to nurture her talent.  Will's quote from Ballad "I know it isn't always easy for you Rachel, and I know there are things about yourself you'd like to change. But you should know that there's some boy out there who's going to like you for everything you are. Including those parts of you that even you don't like. Those are gonna be the things he likes the most."  That is totally Jesse.  So thank you Jon & Lea for making this happen!

Edited by buffy11bnl
  • Love 12

Don't know about the US but in the UK it can be considered assault.

For once, I didn't mind the meta comment about never letting the egg thing go. It was one moment as part of a larger plot like four years ago. Sue did way worse in this episode alone. Get over it.

• Love 5

Ryan Murphy should be getting down on his knees thanking the gods that JGroff has enough love for Lea that he was willing to come back to this hot mess.  However, since Ryan is perpetually clueless, I'm more than happy to do so on his behalf.  I was expecting them to toss him in as a hail mary at the end of the episode, so I was thrilled to get him less than 5 minutes in.  I'm not really sure what was going on during "Listen to Your Heart" because I was too busy trying to pick up the panties that had immediately dropped when Jesse started to sing.   In all truth though St.Berry has been my OTP forever, mainly because Jesse truly gets who Rachel is, who she could be and what she needs to do to nurture her talent.  Will's quote from Ballad "I know it isn't always easy for you Rachel, and I know there are things about yourself you'd like to change. But you should know that there's some boy out there who's going to like you for everything you are. Including those parts of you that even you don't like. Those are gonna be the things he likes the most."  That is totally Jesse.  So thank you Jon & Lea for making this happen!

Yes to everything in your post! But for some reason, I read the bolded part of your post as "Ryan is perpetually clothesless" so I had a moment where I pictured him sitting at his desk naked while coming up with stupid ideas like Rachel/Sam.

Jesse was encouraging, supportive, flirty, and understanding all in two short scenes so whatever happens in the finale I am going to imagine Jesse and Rachel shacking up together in New York singing duets while making breakfast, serenading each other while they do laundry, dancing around while making the bed, etc.

• Love 6

Jesse was encouraging, supportive, flirty, and understanding all in two short scenes so whatever happens in the finale I am going to imagine Jesse and Rachel shacking up together in New York singing duets while making breakfast, serenading each other while they do laundry, dancing around while making the bed, etc.

Headcanon accepted!

For once, I didn't mind the meta comment about never letting the egg thing go. It was one moment as part of a larger plot like four years ago. Sue did way worse in this episode alone. Get over it.

I wasn't complaining about it! I couldn't care less my post was about why others might care.

ETA: I didn't even notice the egg comment in the episode.

Edited by jaytee1812

I shouldn't be surprised that Sam/Rachel didn't even get any kind of break-up or ending. Remember when Glee pushed Sam/Brittany for an entire season, only to have her break up with him via text message, and then never speak of or even acknowledge Sam ever again? Or when Glee pushed the noobs to the front in season 4, only to drop them and never look back halfway through season 5? Or when Sue had a kid? Glee is awesome at stringing something out for multiple episodes and then dropping it like it's hot. That is a skill set 99% of shows on television don't have.

• Love 4

I shouldn't be surprised that Sam/Rachel didn't even get any kind of break-up or ending. Remember when Glee pushed Sam/Brittany for an entire season, only to have her break up with him via text message, and then never speak of or even acknowledge Sam ever again?.

Apart from Mercedes last season, Sam never gets a break up scene. Quinn, Brittany and Santana, all those break ups are off screen, as is his post season 3 break up with Mercedes.

I mean I don't miss those, but it's a bit odd.

Adam doesn't know where Glee's going and he doesn't know why, but shut up, you're crying!

http://previously.tv/glee/listen-to-your-heart-when-hes-calling-for-you/"> Read the story

The Groff does indeed make everything better. Good review! I was a little more accepting than you of some of the parts but I agree totes on the parts you liked and which scenes my "allergies" acted up in. There was a current of joy running throughout this episode.

Lea & Jon need to do an album and DVD concert together. They are magic!

Eta, I hate auto fill! How do I get my tablet to stop replacing Groff with Geoff!!!

Edited by Casual Viewing

Lea & Jon need to do an album and DVD concert together. They are magic!

Perhaps better yet, Jon as a devilish Nicky Arnstein.

"Listen To Your heart" was a leap forward for Rachel and Jesse in maturity, mutual understanding, and pure fun. There was also psychological equality and then some, as the times they have indeed a-changed. When the duet ends, Rachel looks over at Brad, scrunches her lower lip and nods her head sharply, as if to say, "He's not bad for someone who isn't me." Jesse will one day thank his lucky stars Rachel rejected his pleas and chose NYADA, as no stage in the world would have been big enough to contain them as co-stars without destroying any chance for a romantic relationship.

• Love 3

Guys, I actually watched this episode all the way through. without fast forwarding. Anything. Do you know how long it has been since that happened? I honestly can't remember. And I didn't hate it or want to through my TV out the window. Again, been a long time since that happened. 

If I didn't know anything about this season and just tuned in for this episode, I would have had no idea that Rachel and Sam were suppose to be in any kind of relationship. Honestly. There was nothing about their scene (and it was really the only interaction they had this episode) that would have led me to believe they were more than friends. So that was time well spent this season.

Has J.Groff always been so hot? I've always found him attractive and his performance of Bohemian Rhapsody is probably one of my all time favorite Glee performances, but I just don't remember him being so hot. Whatever it is I'm into it.

I enjoyed Donna, I think her name was being a judge again. That was a funny call back.

And yeah the scene with the trophies as the call backs to winning them, yup, it got me.

• Love 3

I can't give much thought over the whole NYADA vs. Broadway Show storyline, just because I can't even fathom the idea that a school would block a student from taking on such an endeavour. Is that what happens in real life? Given how so few people end being working actors, why prevent a person from such an opportunity?

In real life, no.

But the point I think the writers were attempting to make is that Rachel needs to have focus and committ to one thing without constantly looking towards the next. Considering this is as close as we'll ever get to Rachel having some self awareness and actually having to work for her goal--not to mention the Mt. Everest sized piles of WTF just with Sue's character alone--this one doesn't even faze me. Plus, it's a moot point now anyway.

I shouldn't be surprised that Sam/Rachel didn't even get any kind of break-up or ending. Remember when Glee pushed Sam/Brittany for an entire season, only to have her break up with him via text message, and then never speak of or even acknowledge Sam ever again? Or when Glee pushed the noobs to the front in season 4, only to drop them and never look back halfway through season 5? Or when Sue had a kid? Glee is awesome at stringing something out for multiple episodes and then dropping it like it's hot. That is a skill set 99% of shows on television don't have.

All of those things needed to be dropped off a cliff of some sort anyway. I don't mourn their sudden passing.

Meanwhile, GROFFLES! That makes a lot of things better or at least watchable.

• Love 1