Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Erika Shupe! She's done almost a complete 180. Wears pants, sends her kids to public school, and other stuff that you would never have expected from her when she was blogging.

I forgot about her. She was nuts, too. 

Re: Carlin the moron. I was reading earlier about the death from influenza of a four-year-old from an antivax family, complete with dumbass mother. I really think that something like that, except probably an infant, will happen to a Bates or Duggar or their offshoots. I'm surprised it hasn't already, except for the slim chance that they're not really as stupid as they appear on social media. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Well, it's clean and organized because they just set it up, let's see how it looks in a couple of weeks.  I grew up in a large family and we had 4 sisters sharing one big bedroom but it never was as cluttered and jammed with stuff as that bedroom.

If I had to sleep in there, I'd be having panic attacks from claustrophobia.  I think Jill limits their portions so she can keep the little girls small enough for toddler beds for as long as possible.  I couldn't imagine how much worse that room would be if all the beds were full sized.  They're going to need to get a couple of the NotNuries married off pronto.

I predict that it’ll stay clean and as uncluttered as possible since there are numerous R-slaves to take care of the chores.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

I get they can pick up those second hand dressers for dirt cheap, but it would be much more space efficient to just get a few large dressers, have a few kids clothes in each. You can't tell me those kids have that many clothes in that many sizes anyway. Then the kids might actually be able to walk around the furniture. It looks like the princess bed is completely trapped in and Sofia has to climb across the toy box to get in. And seriously, why are the outlets all like 3 feet off the ground? I've never seen such a thing. Sure, most homes have higher ones in the kitchen or the bathroom, but this place has them all about 3-4 feet high.  

About the outlets... Maybe they’re up high because David’s enormous gut prevented him from being able bend over/get down in order to put them lower.

• LOL 15
  • Love 1

Word.Isn't Layla somewhat of a preemie? I think Carlin was induced early due to her clotting disorder.

I would have taken the baby straight home and said no visitors for at least a month!

15 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

They really aren't. The Bates are a shinier version of Duggars but that's it. Gil and Kelly are every bit as horrible as JB and Michelle. They used buddy systems and forced their daughters to do everything. See Callie sobbing at Michael's wedding because Michael was leaving, and Judson sobbing at Tori's wedding because Tori was leaving. They are both as lazy and don't do anything. They constantly borrowed money from Lawson for groceries which I doubt they ever paid back. They constantly scrub their website and blog trying to erase things they've said and done that put them in a bad light. They supported Pearls until they started getting noticed and that disappeared. They put up pictures showing Confederate generals including the grand wizar of the KKK on their blog. When people asked about them Kelly claimed it was their "Patriot room" people continued to point out all the Patriots were Confederates and sometime after that they were taken down. They "look" like they loosed rules on clothes and other things. But one that's just "looks" after all they didn't take down the Confederate generals because they saw the light but because people kept commenting on them and it made them look bad. Same with the infamous "grooms" cake, at Erin's wedding Gothard was there and they had a second cake for him his birthday. It had his name on it. But after Gothard was out Kelly tried to claim it was a grooms cake. Even though the picture she put up still had the Happy Birthday Gothard on there. The Bates still do chaperons they were even training new ones when Josie was courting Kelton.  While Zach did kiss Whitey before marriage he still ended up confessing to his parents that they kissed. Then told his siblings what he did and how it was mistake, and he hoped they learned from his mistake. Although I do wonder whether he was forced to do that or chose on his own and later regret it. Out of all the Bates he's been the only one who's made comments that sounds like he disagrees with his parents. From Winnie the Pooh to question his parents about what they were doing on their dates in the episode when Gil and Kelly are training new chaperons. Gil knew Gothard was sexually harassing girls and covered it up until Gothard became a liability and help throw him out.

I don't remember Trace maybe someone can remind me. Nathan on the other hand has shown to be an asshole. When he went to ask Ashley to court he made a lot jokes about her being a Northern. He went off on Tori when she was trying out hair styles for her wedding about hair and how putting her hair up would be the worse decision she could ever make and she's regret it. I wish I was kidding and it went on for several minutes. When Michael was getting married and went to try on dresses he went along with Lawson and another brother (maybe Trace I don't remember) to be rude to Michael about the dresses she tried on and shared his views on being brutal honest to women that if he thinks they look terrible and he will tell them. So despite being a complete jerk to Michael he saw it as being "truthful". Shut up Nathan. Even self-obsorb Lawson tried to tell him that's probably not a good idea. He's really been a jerk more and more since his courtship ended. 

Thx for that!

• Love 3

I will post about the Bates later. The exciting news of the week goes to..... 

the Mallys! 

Sarah Mally, age 40/41, who wrote Before You Meet Prince Charming is engaged. He proposed last week. She has been seeing this guy for a while. I'm surprised they actually dated/courted for a while before taking this step. Probably a June/July bride.

Sarah's younger sister Grace Mally got married in November. Grace is 31/32. 

The Mally sisters were living at home, but seem to travel, hang with friends. Both women are involved with the family ministry and their guys seem to be age-appropriate men with similar interests.

I wish them much happiness!

• Useful 8
  • Love 8

WTF did JillR do to that room? If she's trying to seperate the room for some privacy for the girls, I'll give her some credit, but really, just divide the room in half.

It looks like a map would be needed to navigate that mess.

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, Heathen said:

Re: Carlin the moron. I was reading earlier about the death from influenza of a four-year-old from an antivax family, complete with dumbass mother. I really think that something like that, except probably an infant, will happen to a Bates or Duggar or their offshoots. I'm surprised it hasn't already, except for the slim chance that they're not really as stupid as they appear on social media. 

I saw that article this morning and it was horrifying. That poor child!  Her GoFundMe page should be shut down and she should be charged with murder!

Those cabinets looked better before Jill destroyed them. Those bedrooms make my skin crawl with all the clutter. With Nurie getting married and leaving the nest, it should be time for number 14..

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Madtown said:

I saw that article this morning and it was horrifying. That poor child!  Her GoFundMe page should be shut down and she should be charged with murder!

Those cabinets looked better before Jill destroyed them. Those bedrooms make my skin crawl with all the clutter. With Nurie getting married and leaving the nest, it should be time for number 14..

I have no doubt that Jill would just love to march down the aisle as Nurie's Matron of Honor big pregnant.  I think that perhaps she is no longer as fertile as she used to be and I am sure it is killing her.

11 hours ago, sondraK said:

Word.Isn't Layla somewhat of a preemie? I think Carlin was induced early due to her clotting disorder.

I would have taken the baby straight home and said no visitors for at least a month!

Thx for that!

Yes, Carlin was induced more than a month early.  Even more reason that she needs to keep that poor child away from crowds, including her family.  In flu season, every new mom discharged from the hospitals where I work is given written instructions warning against exposing the baby to large crowds for at least the first few months.  I doubt that Carlin or any of her siblings got a flu shot; so the poor baby is going to be susceptible to all kinds of things just by virtue of being handled by all of them.

1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

I have no doubt that Jill would just love to march down the aisle as Nurie's Matron of Honor big pregnant.  I think that perhaps she is no longer as fertile as she used to be and I am sure it is killing her.

Yes, Carlin was induced more than a month early.  Even more reason that she needs to keep that poor child away from crowds, including her family.  In flu season, every new mom discharged from the hospitals where I work is given written instructions warning against exposing the baby to large crowds for at least the first few months.  I doubt that Carlin or any of her siblings got a flu shot; so the poor baby is going to be susceptible to all kinds of things just by virtue of being handled by all of them.

If she's nursing, and I'm not sure the Bates do, she will make antibodies to the germs they are exposed to and pass them to the baby through her milk. That is some protection.

4 minutes ago, Annabel11 said:

If she's nursing, and I'm not sure the Bates do, she will make antibodies to the germs they are exposed to and pass them to the baby through her milk. That is some protection.

And, of course, were she not an anti-vaxxer, she would've been given a flu vaccine during her pregnancy and the antibodies would've passed to the baby during her pregnancy and protected her from the flu for the first 6 months of her life, breastfed or not.  Also, if Carlin does get exposed to the flu, the baby is probably going to be exposed at the same time and Carlin won't have antibodies in her breast milk in time to protect her child.

Do we know for a fact that the Bates and Duggars are anti-vaxxers?  I do remember Josie getting her shots.  

As far as I know, the only ones who have confirmed that they do not vaccinate are Kendra Duggar's parents, the Caldwells.

Even if Carlin did get a flu shot it was still a stupid idea to bring the baby over to her parents' and let her get pawed by everyone.  

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 6

I thought Carlin was due mid-Feb? If so, she was only around 2 weeks early. Aside from the jaundice, it didn’t appear as though she had any health concerns. Don’t get me wrong - I wouldn’t bring my less than a week old child around a crowd of people, but I think it’s easy to forget that it’s their family. They see it as normal and don’t even think about the size. She’s a first time mom and wants to show her baby off. 

Edited by sugarplum
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, sugarplum said:

I thought Carlin was due mid-Feb? If so, she was only around 2 weeks early. Aside from the jaundice, it didn’t appear as though she had any health concerns. Don’t get me wrong - I wouldn’t bring my less than a week old child around a crowd of people, but I think it’s easy to forget that it’s their family. They see it as normal and don’t even think about the size. She’s a first time mom and wants to show her baby off. 

I don't know the exact timeline, I just remember that she said she was induced early and the baby was under 6 lbs which is pretty small for a full term infant. 

I read somewhere she was 37 weeks, but the articles implied she was about 2 to 3 weeks early.  The Bates women tend to have smaller babies so 6 pounds would be about right for a couple weeks early.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, ginger90 said:

8 pictures in the first, 6 in the second:

Sorry, but when you're running a cult and there's bunk beds involved, all I can think of are purple shrouds and black Nikes.

At least the Heaven's Gate people had tidier rooms.

9 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

That wouldn't be the worst idea.  Plenty of those girls are old enough to climb to the top.  It also wouldn't be the worst idea if she got some of those plastic bins on wheels meant to slide under the bed and got rid of a couple of dressers.

Anyone else notice in the pictures of the room with the bunk beds surrounded by dressers, you can see the wonderful closet that ChubbyHubby constructed off in the corner?  Take a look, is it my imagination or are the walls of that closet bowed or not?  They don't appear to be squared with the wall to which they are adjacent.  I expect the whole thing will come crashing down while the girls are sleeping some night.

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Well, at least there are plenty of windows in case of a fire.  It's just too much furniture.  Exactly how many girls are crammed into this room?

The 8 oldest girls share the room.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I don't know the exact timeline, I just remember that she said she was induced early and the baby was under 6 lbs which is pretty small for a full term infant. 

She was 37 weeks. The Bates girls grow 'em small.

8 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I’m surprised the Rods didn’t die in a house fire (yet). That “house” screams fire hazard.

There seems to be one smoke detector on the ceiling. I'm sure it was already there, but who knows if it works. 

I would not want to be trapped in a metal sided building with all that flammable stuff blocking the ways out. Jill's decorating looks like her makeup and hair--messy and 30 years out of date. At least we know where some of her stuffed animals are being stored. 

3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Anyone else notice in the pictures of the room with the bunk beds surrounded by dressers, you can see the wonderful closet that ChubbyHubby constructed off in the corner?  Take a look, is it my imagination or are the walls of that closet bowed or not?  They don't appear to be squared with the wall to which they are adjacent.  I expect the whole thing will come crashing down while the girls are sleeping some night.

It definitely does not look right in any of the photos. The Paris thing over the door is a monument to despair. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, lianau said:

Wanted to come back to the girl's room and Sofia's princess bed . Where is she going to sleep when she outgrows that crib/toddler bed ?

Presumably Nurie will be gone, and all the girls can shift around, with Janessa inheriting the princess bed.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

She's wearing more makeup than I ever have for Halloween, let alone normal life. I guess the Rodriguii are lucky they don't have the Duggar acne problem (it doesn't look like they do, anyway). 

• Love 6