Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

24 minutes ago, queenanne said:

Seems to me you've done a good nutshell job of describing the fine distinction and difference that has long been evading us:  that of the Dillard and Seewald families of origin, vs. the Duggars, Maxwells, et al. 

Churchie knows how to call em, that's for sure! Our Churchie is an acclaimed "Fundamentologist" for sure. I'm actually wondering if sociologists aren't completely captivated by the collective mishegas of the Duggar, Rodriguii, and Maxwell clans and are studying their ways.  Certainly, they'd find gold in this thar forum alone, mostly from the posts of Churchie, Queenanne, Becca, and Marigold on Growing Up Fundy, and the pure gold blistering snark of our girl, Aja, who calls out the absurdity of it all.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Control freaks can't afford outside contact for their controlees. I went to public school and still was deprived of human contact as much as my family could possibly manage. The old standby approach is to make you so leery of speaking to other people that you don't have contact with others even when you do, you know, have contact. Jill seems to do that part by instilling fear of and disdain for others. In my case, they did it by convincing me that I was far below a pile of fresh crap on the list of desirable things and that nobody in the world would want to do anything but vomit if I spoke to them or approached them in any way.

It's all about the isolation, and it's kind of amazing to me that even the biggest idiots -- and all those in denial about their control freakism, as I expect the Rod parents are -- instantly grasp this fact. The fact that those kids are kept on the road all the time is obviously a part of this. And it's an especially horrible part, I think, because it greatly limits the chances that a kid will ever feel comfortable or brave enough about another person or situation to let down their guard a little to reach out at all or begin to notice that devil-mommy may have been wrong.

Awwwww, Churchie!   You're breaking my heart...so sorry you had to grow up like that.  I always look forward to your posts....they come from a real place of knowing. I went to a private Fundy school that seemed at first nondenominational but as the years wore on, it became more and more extreme and my parents decided enough was enough and pulled us all out and put us in public school so we'd have a proper education.

• Love 6
(edited)
31 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Churchie knows how to call em, that's for sure! Our Churchie is an acclaimed "Fundamentologist" for sure. I'm actually wondering if sociologists aren't completely captivated by the collective mishegas of the Duggar, Rodriguii, and Maxwell clans and are studying their ways.  Certainly, they'd find gold in this thar forum alone, mostly from the posts of Churchie, Queenanne, Becca, and Marigold on Growing Up Fundy, and the pure gold blistering snark of our girl, Aja, who calls out the absurdity of it all.

Thanks. I actually didn't grow up fundie, though. I grew up with insane nasty people.....And the reason I'm so drawn to the whole fundie thing is because of the tremendous similarities I've noticed between this brand of "Christian" and insane nasty people!  ;  )

And I, too, wonder whether there aren't a bunch of sociologists studying the heck out of the Duggar and other of these clans. And, if not, why the heck not?

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

It is a wonder how these folks don't all have debilitating anxiety disorders.

They probably do...how could they not...but they're not allowed to go to a proper doctor or counselor to get them real help.  They will just be told that they are sinful or weak for being that way and to pray it away.

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=the+sociology+of+fundamental+christians&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwju3fD32tnMAhWE8j4KHR2RBCgQgQMIGjAA

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Thanks. I actually didn't grow up fundie, though. I grew up with insane nasty people.....And the reason I'm so drawn to the whole fundie thing is because of the tremendous similarities I've noticed between this brand of "Christian" and insane nasty people!  ;  )

And I, too, wonder whether there aren't a bunch of sociologists studying the heck out of the Duggar and other of these clans. And, if not, why the heck not?

Unfortunately, I mainly see these cult/fringe-religion groups' issues addressed in true crime books. And, sadly, there are a lot of those.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

My dear Henri, Catholic schools were only mentioned because they have long given free or almost free educations to large families.  It stands to reason that many Christian schools that are Fundy or Fundy lite may also follow a similar example by extending choices to religious families who couldn't afford to go but would like to. Private school is NOT cheap. Heavens to Murgatroid, I would never suggest the Duggars or Rodriguii consider a Catholic school....which is a shame since they generally offer an excellent education and would welcome anyone wanting a good education for their kids.

Oh, I hope I didn't offend you in some way.  I think I misread the original post, and Catholic schools jumped out at me.  I now see it was used an an example for private school.  Sorry if I did offend, not meant at all. 

I had no idea private schools were so out of reach (and that I'm so out of touch with that reality).  No kids in my household.  I live in an area where we have relatively high property taxes and excellent public schools.  My high school had a planetarium, FFS.  I don't begrudge my high taxes at all, educating the next generation is an obligation to the current one. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Henri205 said:

Oh, I hope I didn't offend you in some way.  I think I misread the original post, and Catholic schools jumped out at me.  I now see it was used an an example for private school.  Sorry if I did offend, not meant at all. 

Not at all...I said my dear Henri with affection and respect...i hope I didn't offend you either. Your posts often nake me chuckle... You moniker makes me think of Henri, The Existential Cat.

• Love 2
(edited)
16 minutes ago, louannems said:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://mcdonaldhomesteadhappenings.blogspot.com/&ved=0ahUKEwiC_92Ql9rMAhUK6mMKHZXaAjsQFggdMAE&usg=AFQjCNFweBNwgg6M5SLsfXXVUBJoRGn7Pg&sig2=UhqBvafSQofmCUPxjyn13w

I found myself a new fundie family to study and snark on!  The McDonald family really, truely wear homemade prairie dresses, calico prints, too!!!  Oh, and female headscarfs!!!!!!!

Eeeee-I, eeeeee-I, uh-oh!

They don't seem as snark worthy....they look clean and tidy and well fed and so do their pets! They seem to have decent money as well....their pets are a Bichon Frise and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.  And they let their kids go to the beach. They might just be living their life as they see fit and not wanting to interfere with the rights of others...what a concept.

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Henri205 said:

I had no idea private schools were so out of reach (and that I'm so out of touch with that reality).  No kids in my household.  I live in an area where we have relatively high property taxes and excellent public schools.  My high school had a planetarium, FFS.  I don't begrudge my high taxes at all, educating the next generation is an obligation to the current one. 

Seriously?! A planetarium?!

33 minutes ago, louannems said:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://mcdonaldhomesteadhappenings.blogspot.com/&ved=0ahUKEwiC_92Ql9rMAhUK6mMKHZXaAjsQFggdMAE&usg=AFQjCNFweBNwgg6M5SLsfXXVUBJoRGn7Pg&sig2=UhqBvafSQofmCUPxjyn13w

I found myself a new fundie family to study and snark on!  The McDonald family really, truely wear homemade prairie dresses, calico prints, too!!!  Oh, and female headscarfs!!!!!!!

wow WHY DID I CLICK ON THAT? Are they Amish or just out of touch?

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, louannems said:

Well, the post-pubescent girls wear headscarves.

Not that I'm not above no one wearing headscarves, but it's clearly a submission issue as it merely covers the top of the head rather than hiding all the hair as "alarmingly sexy secondary sex characteristic we have to pretend we don't have", so I'm over it 1000%.

@Arwen Evenstar, I tried to quote you for your kind words but I have to settle for a "like".  Multi-quote just now crazily and irritatingly responded by placing my multiple quotes as ghost text overlaying the top of the page, instead of tucking themselves tamely into the box, lol.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, louannems said:

They don't seem too terrible, even though they mention "blessing" every other word. At least two of the books in their book list at right are by Catholics (Practice of the Presence of God, and The Imitation of Christ), so they can't be super fundie.

• Love 1

Mennonite, maybe?  Or something similar, I'm guessing.  Some of the Menno's not too far from Amish don't wear skirts and blouses, which seems to be a trend with the McDonald family.  The covering thing makes me think some sort of Amish offshoot (like Mennonite).  I'm willing to bet they aren't independently dressing like this, they almost have to be part of a larger congregation.  When families surround themselves with other like-minded people, it doesn't seem so weird to the kids to stand out like that in public.  

This is total snark, but that commercial just flashed across my brain - the one where "we're settlers" and they live in a normal neighborhood wearing prairie dresses, etc.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

Mennonite, maybe?  Or something similar, I'm guessing.  Some of the Menno's not too far from Amish don't wear skirts and blouses, which seems to be a trend with the McDonald family.  The covering thing makes me think some sort of Amish offshoot (like Mennonite).  I'm willing to bet they aren't independently dressing like this, they almost have to be part of a larger congregation.  When families surround themselves with other like-minded people, it doesn't seem so weird to the kids to stand out like that in public.  

This is total snark, but that commercial just flashed across my brain - the one where "we're settlers" and they live in a normal neighborhood wearing prairie dresses, etc.

Mmmmmmm gray water soup!

• Love 1
18 hours ago, MunichNark said:

On the off chance that Rock chick is reading here, I'll say this.

Get that fat slob of a husband on a fucking diet! Start feeding your underfed, malnourished, pasty looking children with nourishing food, stop making up your daughters so they look like tarts on a night out and ffs, move into the 21st century and dress less like a Rock chick wannabe.

That one particularly disgusts me mightily. How do those children know what school is like when they've never been to one?

Their website says they go to Maranatha Baptist Church, but I'm not sure if that church has a school associated with it...but if it's a large and prominent church in Fundieland, it would make sense they'd have a school as well. I don't think they would diss a school associated with their church, unless they just couldn't afford to send their kids to school there even with a deal.  It seems homeschooling is the only viable option, even though most parents likely haven't the time or temperament to properly teach a passel of kids for 12 to 15 years for each kid.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, louannems said:

I will never snark about Jill Dillard's gummy smile, ever again!zoo-6.jpg

Maxwell SAHD with her niece.

Yup, that's GUMMY! The poor lass is "orthodontically unfortunate".  Not her fault.  Maybe it doesn't bother her.

(edited)
12 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

10 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

I clicked. The men look pretty mainstream, but the women ... definitely in the Amish or Mennonite orbit. Don't know.

They're not Amish or Mennonite. In the conservative Christian homeschooling circles I used to move in, head coverings of that type for women and older girls were quite common. I think there's a part of them that really loves being "set apart from the world" and the stares and questions they get. But it's based on a verse where Paul talks about it being a shame for a woman's head to be uncovered, and that a woman shouldn't pray with her head uncovered. So, probably the same verse the Amish got the idea from, but they're definitely not Amish or Mennonite.

On a different note, I was having trouble sleeping last night and pulled up Jill R's "sermon" on bitterness on Youtube on my phone. It didn't take me long to fall asleep! But before I did, I did find the story about them leaving their old church interesting. Theological differences and people leaving churches in huffs about minute points were common in my church. There were people who angrily left over a dispute regarding whether or not the pastor had the right to hang a painting in the sanctuary. I'm not kidding. Another family left, furious, because the new pastor didn't take a hard line against all alcohol use. I would love to know what the Rodriguii got so offended over. Jill really did sound incredibly "holier than thou." That said, if the woman who died really did request that the R's sing at the funeral, and the rest of the family also wanted them to, then it was ridiculous for church leadership to stand in the way of that. I do NOT miss church politics. It gets just as crazy as the real world of politics.

Edited by becca3891
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, becca3891 said:

On a different note, I was having trouble sleeping last night and pulled up Jill R's "sermon" on bitterness on Youtube on my phone. It didn't take me long to fall asleep! But before I did, I did find the story about them leaving their old church interesting. Theological differences and people leaving churches in huffs about minute points were common in my church. There were people who angrily left over a dispute regarding whether or not the pastor had the right to hang a painting in the sanctuary. I'm not kidding. Another family left, furious, because the new pastor didn't take a hard line against all alcohol use. I would love to know what the Rodriguii got so offended over. Jill really did sound incredibly "holier than thou." That said, if the woman who died really did request that the R's sing at the funeral, and the rest of the family also wanted them to, then it was ridiculous for church leadership to stand in the way of that. I do NOT miss church politics. It gets just as crazy as the real world of politics.

For a group of people who often criticize other denominations for their legalism, the Fundies are very much about the pot calling the kettle black. I was curious about that an I got my answer when I opened the Houston yellow pages under churches and identified no less than 16 different types of Baptists. It doesn't surprise me so much hairsplitting goes on.  

While I was still at Fundy school, I'd hear tales on Monday at school about who walked out of Sunday sermon and the canned answer was so and so "got their toes stepped on"...as if that was the final word and not to be questioned.  I later realized that it was likely because the pastor was a narcisstic, divisive asshat, who was far too judgmental for most people's taste.

I once heard tell about a town in East Texas called Mixon that had 4 Baptist churches at the main intersection, and the prevailing question was "what kind of Babdist are you"?  There was a Southern Baptist, and Independent Baptist, a Free Will Baptist, and I don't remember what the 4th one was...maybe Missionary Baptist ...but just an example of many examples of the level of  Fundy infighting and legalistic hair splitting.

• Love 5
On 5/12/2016 at 8:42 AM, Churchhoney said:

Mass escape of more allegedly homeschooled but mainly just home-imprisoned kids. Not surprising that faux homeschooling greatly appeals to maniacal control freaks, but what a tragedy that it has to be up to kids to escape mostly on their own. Kudos to this group for managing to do it. Wish they could inspire the Rodrigui to this kind of action, although I wonder whether Jill and dummy don't keep them on the road so much partly to squash escape plans because the kids seldom know any neighbors or other locals where they happen to be, don't know where things are so wouldn't know where to run to, and so on.

https://homeschoolersanonymous.org/2016/05/10/oregon-refuge-children-hid-the-guns-before-running/

"Last Friday, as soon as their mother climbed in the shower, five Sharp children bolted down the driveway of their Auburn, Kan., home.

Before they left, according to testimony in a Wednesday hearing, they took the guns out of a cubbyhole in the house and stashed them at the end of the drive. Then they got a ride from a neighbor to the Shawnee County sheriff’s office in Topeka.

And on Wednesday — three months after making headlines when they performed for armed occupiers who had taken over a wildlife refuge in Oregon — the children were taken into state custody because of abuse allegations."

What a sad, twisted system it is when a group of abused children is forced to save themselves because the system cannot or simply does not break through its own red tape. Bless their hearts. And I hope that woman suffers some dire consequences, the likes of which give her a taste of her own medicine.

• Love 7

I watched the Rodriguii video on homeschooling.  So, here's what stood out.   First, if you actually listen to what she says the daily schedule is, these kids have about 3 hours a day of skewelling.  Second, during the skewell time, they have almost no interaction with Jill.  She is spending her time with the younger kids.  So the older children settle in with their workbooks and skewell themselves.  Third, the workbooks they show the older kids working on look very age-inappropriate.  Fourth, Jill claims she could make "good money" as a cosmetologist.  Um, no, she could not.  Not with the way she does her hair and makeup.  Her daughters look like they use spackling knives to layer on their makeup.  I've seen corpses with less base on.  Jill does her eyes so dark she could be an extra in a zombie show.  And their hair is fried.  So, no, Jill, you could not make "good money" as a cosmetologist.  You could, however, create a horror scene using makeup, a blow dryer and hair spray.   

• Love 15
On 5/14/2016 at 2:47 PM, Arwen Evenstar said:

Not at all...I said my dear Henri with affection and respect...i hope I didn't offend you either. Your posts often nake me chuckle... You moniker makes me think of Henri, The Existential Cat.

Hi.  I didn't think I offended you but I value the the posts you and others put up here so didn't want to take any chances at offending you.  :)   I've become obsessed with these Fundies, first the Duggars, then Jilly and Dave, now that nutty Anderson guy in Arizona.  He certainly has issues.  Thankfully I'm between contracts so have time to indulge my obsessions and read all about these crazies.  But I should be working in the yard. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Muffyn said:

I watched the Rodriguii video on homeschooling.  So, here's what stood out.   First, if you actually listen to what she says the daily schedule is, these kids have about 3 hours a day of skewelling.  Second, during the skewell time, they have almost no interaction with Jill.  She is spending her time with the younger kids.  So the older children settle in with their workbooks and skewell themselves.  Third, the workbooks they show the older kids working on look very age-inappropriate.  Fourth, Jill claims she could make "good money" as a cosmetologist.  Um, no, she could not.  Not with the way she does her hair and makeup.  Her daughters look like they use spackling knives to layer on their makeup.  I've seen corpses with less base on.  Jill does her eyes so dark she could be an extra in a zombie show.  And their hair is fried.  So, no, Jill, you could not make "good money" as a cosmetologist.  You could, however, create a horror scene using makeup, a blow dryer and hair spray.   

I hear Disney may be hiring at the Haunted Mansion.  Or the whole family could star as the Donner Party.  I'll let myself out now. 

• Love 6
(edited)
27 minutes ago, Henri205 said:

I hear Disney may be hiring at the Haunted Mansion.  Or the whole family could star as the Donner Party.  I'll let myself out now. 

To the Prayer Closet with ye! (Laughing).

I think most of the Rodriguii would just be too scrawny to have any good meat on them unless they offed the only one with much body fat-- Chimpy, but he'd probably be gamely, and greasy, and stringy...

Following Henri to the Prayer Closet...I should know the way by now....

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

To the Prayer Closet with ye! (Laughing).

I think most of the Rodriguii would just be too scrawny to have any good meat on them unless they offed the only one with much body fat-- Chimpy, but he'd probably be gamely, and greasy, and stringy...

Following Henri to the Prayer Closet...I should know the way by now....

See ya there.  Want a glass of Merlot?

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Good gracious, did the Maxhells hose NR Anna down in a shower of Pepto? She is definitely holding up the fundie frump standards, pretty much all by herself.

The pic was too large to upload, so I'll just drop their blog post here. 

http://blog.titus2.com/2016/05/11/zoo-day/

Which one? The preg-o?  They are all icons of Fundy misery fashion, but at least they look clean and well fed, unlike the train wreck known as Rodriguii.

9 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

DEFINITELY.  ?

Ahem........you meant to say like, totally, didn't you??

5 hours ago, Absolom said:

I've never seen Anna Marie look that bad before.  That was way too much Pepto pink. 

What's pepto pink? I'd call that Miss Piggy pink......

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Absolom said:

I've never seen Anna Marie look that bad before.  That was way too much Pepto pink. 

Now come on, isn't it all about the countenance? Yeah right, she's totally drowning in pepto pink....or Miss Piggy pink.

Either way, they should be concerned that this outfit indeed has distracted us from her countenance.

• Love 1
On 5/14/2016 at 8:20 AM, Churchhoney said:

I know some people who went to Liberty and who consider themselves conservative evangelicals rather than fundamentalists. The differences they point to are that they're not as isolationist as fundies or as legalistically judgmental when it comes to total inerrancy-to-the-letter and such. I expect there may be a fair number of Liberty grads who would put themselves in that category, actually.

This right here.  As far as a school that would be more comfortable for Duggers, et al, I would lean more toward something like Pensicola, although I'm not sure if their rules have changed.  At Liberty, we could date unchaperoned.  What a disturbing thought to take a 3rd wheel....

And to that, I want to add I didn't mean it as a defensive statement, I thought it was funny and was a bit bewildered by the comment.  Everyone I went to school with was more or less like me, very few were Fundy...at least that I knew of.  I'm trying to think if any of my friends were Baptists, I know I never was.

• Love 3

Looking at Anna Marie's outfit:  That's not Pepto-Bismol pink.  Nor is it Miss Piggy pink. That is Aggressively Female Pink.   Like "Afraid of any form of gender bending" pink.  Now I like pink, but I don't wear it head to toe, and certainly not the same shade of it.   

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Good gracious, did the Maxhells hose NR Anna down in a shower of Pepto? She is definitely holding up the fundie frump standards, pretty much all by herself.

The pic was too large to upload, so I'll just drop their blog post here. 

http://blog.titus2.com/2016/05/11/zoo-day/

She reminded me of a young kid. A 3 year old might say to herself, this flowered shirt is pink and oh, so are these plaid shorts, and oh, oh these socks have pink polka dots. 

• Love 2

Pantome's site showed that pink with a blue and used ombré tones to bring the 2 colors together.  Ombré might be too  exciting and certainly won't be found at the fabric store she buys her fabric to make those gunny sack outfits and frumpy floor length pinafores they all love so much.

• Love 2

Pink and blue ombre? Is Pantone stoned? 

I think the three sisters and maybe SIL Melanie are actually buying some store-bought clothes these days. Every now and again, there's a nice cardigan or something. But not NR Anna. She obviously sews all of her stuff, and it's 100% awful. She is Exhibit A on how to turn a perfectly pretty girl into the most unattractive thing possible. Her stuff isn't even flattering her countenance, since one spends all their time marveling at the frump that is her wardrobe. But I guess that keeps the men away which strokes asshole Christopher's Maxwellian male ego. 

• Love 3

The color of the year isn't ombre pink to blue!  That's just how Pantone is showing the two colors on the web page where they made the announcement, lol.  It's "rose quartz pink" and "serenity blue," two separate colors entirely.  And, might I say, each bad enough on its own to warrant questioning who is in charge of making the color of the year selection over there.  Anyway.

Another pink lover is our girl, Jill Rodrigues.  And you want to talk ombre?  In her "bitter" video, she is wearing THE HELL out of a pink ombre skirt, which she has tastefully matched with bright pink chandelier earrings, neck scarf, several pink bracelets, and one of her little daughter's pink plastic headbands.  She got the skirt when she went shopping with her sister, Amy, and she happily tells the audience that when David saw her new skirt, he said she reminded him of a fishing lure.  I think he meant this little guy ... trust me, he looks much cuter wearing pink ombre than Jill does.

ed313c3149dd15e3dc66726ae6c54e6e.jpg

• Love 8