Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

Someone made reference to David Waller & Halloween. Can someone enlighten us?

I'll be happy to.  It's one of my favorite David fairy tales.  From the DavidlovesPriscilla blog, dated Nov. 2, 2012 titled: Will you be a Daniel:

October 31st has for centuries been celebrated in many different ways. Growing up, there was encouragement by well meaning neighbors and friends to celebrate by dressing up in costumes of all sorts and parading the neighborhoods soliciting candy. My wise parents sought a fun alternative. Realizing that we would be standing alone by not participating they quickly thought of a role model in Scripture. Daniel chose to be different and not partake in what He felt would be wrong—the portion of the kings meat and wine. Thus, we instated Daniel Dinner. We have enjoyed going out and finding exotic fruits, vegetables, and all sorts unique things that we typically would not eat on a regular basis and doing our best to prepare them. With candles lit, and soft music playing we all typically sit down at the table and just before thanking the Lord for the food, we open our Bibles to the account of Daniel.

This year was super special as we introduced Priscilla to this Waller Family tradition. Adam and Valerie were also able to join us along with Derrick and Matthew. As we were preparing the dinner the door bell rang numerous times. We greeted each child and carefully instructed them “This is for you to eat [holding up candy] and this is not for you to eat J [holding up a Gospel tract]” The children would usually giggle and then run off to the next home. However, this year, I was shocked at how many of them really appreciated the tracts. We chose to use a little Bible tract. A few girls who must have been around eight years old stated, “Oh, I go to church, but not very often.” We were then able to share that it is really not about going to church, but about a relationship. One of the little girls looked up and asked, “Are you a preacher or something?” A few minutes later they came running back, “Hey, my mom and dad want one too. Can we have a few more of those Bibles?” As we reached for a few more inside the door the little children came right in after us and said, “Can I have one for my classmate as well?” Before I knew it she was counting out one for each of her twenty-five classmates. Then the other girl looked up and asked, “By the way, is it wrong to dress up like a demon?” We replied, “What do you think the Bible says?” The other girl quickly boasted, “Well I’m dressed up like a Greek goddess!” The other girl then replied, “I don’t think Jesus would like it very much when we dress like a demon.” What a blessing for us to be able to meet and share Christ’s love with many children last night.

Thanks! This gem also is on the 'Old Time Religion' thread. It disgusts me these women are taught to be professional victims/martyrs. The article mentions husbands even baiting their wives, hoping to catch the wife in an ungodly response. The solution? Women are to bear this abuse and return only love and acceptance. The men are held accountable for NOTHING, while the women are to green light disrespectful and abusive treatment so that THEY can be 'godly'. VOMIT!

Husbands baiting wives - or vice versa - that's sickening and has everything to do with control, zero to do with Christ's teachings.

• Love 6

We greeted each child and carefully instructed them “This is for you to eat [holding up candy] and this is not for you to eat J [holding up a Gospel tract]” The children would usually giggle and then run off to the next home. However, this year, I was shocked at how many of them really appreciated the tracts. We chose to use a little Bible tract. A few girls who must have been around eight years old stated, “Oh, I go to church, but not very often.” We were then able to share that it is really not about going to church, but about a relationship. One of the little girls looked up and asked, “Are you a preacher or something?” A few minutes later they came running back, “Hey, my mom and dad want one too. Can we have a few more of those Bibles?” As we reached for a few more inside the door the little children came right in after us and said, “Can I have one for my classmate as well?” Before I knew it she was counting out one for each of her twenty-five classmates. Then the other girl looked up and asked, “By the way, is it wrong to dress up like a demon?” We replied, “What do you think the Bible says?” The other girl quickly boasted, “Well I’m dressed up like a Greek goddess!” The other girl then replied, “I don’t think Jesus would like it very much when we dress like a demon.” What a blessing for us to be able to meet and share Christ’s love with many children last night.

Subject: FWD: FWD: FWD: RE: RE: RE: RE: re: RE: re: re: Miracle of Christ's love!1!read and pass along!!!111!

• Love 8

That Halloween story - personal choice if you celebrate or not, and how you celebrate, etc - but why is he always so condescending to every single person he encounters. That's not a way to win anyone over. Those kids were probably giggling at what a pompous dork he is, not at his 'wit'.

• Love 9

That Halloween story - personal choice if you celebrate or not, and how you celebrate, etc - but why is he always so condescending to every single person he encounters. That's not a way to win anyone over. Those kids were probably giggling at what a pompous dork he is, not at his 'wit'.

Well, this is exactly the kind of "based on a true story, kinda" tale that they're taught to tell as an inspiring lesson in the Gothard empire, I think. Note this line, for example: "We were then able to share that it is really not about going to church, but about a relationship."    It's essentially the Gothard-supplied title of the J-Girls' book. It's not a style of "teaching" they've made up but the mold into which they've all been poured, I think.

(I actually have had a kid come to the door dressed as a Greek goddess, as well as some dressed as ancient Romans or Greeks or whatever. So that part isn't necessarily a lie. Some kids read about those things in school or read comics or see movies on those themes and do want to dress up like that.)

Edited by Churchhoney

I agree - especially when movies like 300 or gladiator are out - or you live in a college town with a lot of history geeks - you get some creative costumes.

Funny how he had issue with the demon costume, but did he have any with the False God(ess), or was he over the point when he mentioned his costume.

The thing either these people is they can't just live and let live, or live by example, they have to ostentatiously and sanctimoniously declare their alternative, and why everyone else is misguided and sinful, but the Wallers are TAKING A STAND.

Why can't they just do like the Jehovah's Witness family in my neighborhood, and not turn on their porch light on Halloween. Nobody bothers them. Everybody respects their decision to not give out candy. The End.

• Love 7

Cadace is full of shit. She's another one who, like Michelle, feels guilty over teenage partying and sex (Candace admits it, Michelle has never confirmed premarital activities), then turned super religious after she had her teenage 'fun' and she wasn't getting acting jobs. All that Dancing with the Stars modesty talk - then she got really toned and half of her Fuller House costumes are very plunging, cleavage showing (she's not well endowed or they'd be worse), tight, short, etc. She's recently had interviews talking about she and the actress who plays Kimmy getting drunk during the holidays and really wanting to do Fuller House, etc. She's uber Christian when it fits her audience and her income. At least Kirk is consistent with his beliefs.

• Love 5

I'm creeped out by naming a fetus that young. But that's just me.

Knowing she has had several losses, I totally understand it.  No matter what happens, this baby is Kaci and Kaci is a member of their family.

I couldn't imagine having to have named my son after he died. (He was named at 20 weeks, and died at 28ish.) Already I regret he never got a real middle name, we just used my maiden name on his cremation papers. If the parents think of the child in terms of being a member of the family, the baby is one. Just because my son wasn't born alive doesn't me he wasn't my son. Although I logically knew it was correct, it broke my heart to have doctors call my son "the fetus". Every moment of his last month was living hell, and that only made it worse. (And don't think I'm a pro-lifer who believes life begins at conception. I'm as pro-choice as humanely possible. I think a child becomes a member of the family when that family decides it does, or upon birth.)  Since Erin and Chad do believe life begins at conception, their daughter has been alive for quite some time.

Our next baby, not even conceived, already has a name.  On the other side though, s/he won't get a nursery until we bring home a living child.

Edited by Skittl1321
  • Love 12

Are we getting some conflating Whitney and Erin here?  Whitney hasn't announced any miscarriages, but has announced the next one is a girl and they've named her.  Erin had three miscarriages and as far as I can find hasn't announced boy or girl or name. 

• Love 4

Gee NO  thanks to being Quiverfull for me. I'd rather stay a Catholic!

OK that was all kinds of funked up all in one blog explanation!! Debi Pearl sure is NUTS! So  all these poor women that think that having your own life will get you into hell? The lives they are living is a living hell. IDK makes no sense and I fear for all the girls that are forced to believe this bs.

Is she sure she’s got this right?  From the article:

Jesus said if you don’t forgive others for their sins, the Heavenly Father will not forgive yours. Sure Jesus allowed for divorce in the case of marital unfaithfulness, but he also noted that exception was granted “because of the hardness of their hearts.” In other words, in theory, Anna can divorce Josh – she has every right – BUT, in practicality, the only way she would/could is if she’s willing to admit to having a hard, unforgiving heart that’s too bitter to trust in God … and take her chances that Jesus will understand and not doom her to Hell for all eternity.

the way I always heard it was, it’s OK to divorce your spouse if you’ve given an honest try towards counseling, etc., and the spouse is still unbending – i.e., the spouse would be showing the hardened retrenched heart.  I can’t recall anyone saying a word about “if you, the wife, initiate a divorce, you will be the one with the hardened retrenched heart”, unless it’s the husband who wants to save the marriage and you’re ignoring them, and even then there’d be an exception if the husband had repeatedly engaged in said bad behaviors while averring he wouldn’t. I think it’s clear that when they write Jesus’ words as “their”, he/the transcriber was using a plural term to indicate that this is a scenario where either party could be at fault; not stating that both would be at fault...?

She was probably Elsa and he had no clue, then embellished his story.

Perhaps it was a Percy Jackson-heavy year amongst the preteen set?

• Love 1

Let's put that divorce scripture into context - in OT times, husbands could and did initiate divorce for any whim. They just had to say 'I divorce you' and she was back to her parents or out on the street. Jesus was asked what he thought about divorce in an attempt to bait him into blasphemy and then be arrested.

He said God hates divorce - the fact that two people show love and respect, and work things out, try to balance each other's needs, love each other, forgive each other, be faithful, etc, instead of just following the legal letter of the law and ditching marriages that didn't meet their selfish wants for the moment. Duggars and Co. May spout forgiveness, but they've created their own legalism and have bound themselves back into rules and no love.

Jesus did say unfaithfulness (and I add in with no signs of remorese or stopping the unfaithfulness) would allow a woman to initiate the divorce. That was the only grounds a woman had. Not beating, berating, abandoning, certainly no such thing as irreconcilable differences or 'we grew separate ways.'

Now as for Anna - she has every Biblical NT right and modern day legal right to divorce josh. If I were her, I'd have to problem saying 'yes, sir, I have hardened my heart against the man who repeatedly broke every vow and betrayed me physically, emotionally and spiritually. I want a divorce.' But that's me and not Anna.

• Love 4

Are we getting some conflating Whitney and Erin here?  Whitney hasn't announced any miscarriages, but has announced the next one is a girl and they've named her.  Erin had three miscarriages and as far as I can find hasn't announced boy or girl or name. 

Oh, I thought the blog said Erin was pregnant. It is Whitney.

Either way- I see no problem with naming, and telling people the name while the baby is in utero.

Erin IS pregnant, but not far enough along for a gender reveal yet. However, Carson's name was revealed when he was in utero, so I imagine we will hear from her in another  month or two (they just revealed a Summer birth date, but nothing more specific). 

Knowing she has had several losses, I totally understand it.  No matter what happens, this baby is Kaci and Kaci is a member of their family.

I'm not sure which sort of loss the first poster meant, but IIRC, Whitney's biological parents were killed in a car crash and after some time in foster care, she was adopted in her late teens. A huge, warm family like Zach's probably seemed very appealing to her, even if it meant having to become more "modest" to fit in with them.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 3

Whitney's bio parents are still alive. Whitney has opened up communications with them since her marriage. I am pretty sure that was her bio dad in the delivery room when Bradley was born, and her bio parents' house she visited during an episode. 

A prior poster was referencing Erin as the prospective mother of Kaci and having several (pregnancy) losses.  As stated it's too early for Erin to know the sex of the fetus.  However, Whitney has named her fetus.

Whitney's bio parents are still alive. Whitney has opened up communications with them since her marriage. I am pretty sure that was her bio dad in the delivery room when Bradley was born, and her bio parents' house she visited during an episode. 

Hmmm... I know I've read that about her, but in doing more searching I see it's just repeated info from...somewhere. I thought I had read it on Kelly's blog but she just mentioned Whitney being adopted (and actually responded to some comments challenging her on Gothard's views about on the subject). Sorry for any misinformation!

As for naming children in advance, I know parents who have done that, but kept it to themselves until the child arrived. They weren't worried anything bad might happen, but wanted to hedge their bets on the off chance that they changed their minds by the time the child was born, or didn't want to deal with naysayers trying to talk them out of it, months in advance (though this probably would have helped in the case of poor Spurgeon). Agree that Bradley Bates is one photogenic child—he's Prince George levels of adorable.

• Love 2

I'm still confused as to what Whitney's parental situation is.  I read the link to Kelly's blog, and she had one last name while her parents had another last name (and another 11 children).  I don't know if her bio parents are dead or not.  I thought they were, and the blog post doesn't say anything but that she was adopted into the large family with the dad as preacher and mom as hairdresser.  

• Love 1

I'm still confused as to what Whitney's parental situation is.  I read the link to Kelly's blog, and she had one last name while her parents had another last name (and another 11 children).  I don't know if her bio parents are dead or not.  I thought they were, and the blog post doesn't say anything but that she was adopted into the large family with the dad as preacher and mom as hairdresser.  

Me too. I'm actually in shock that her bio parents are still alive since I thought they passed away in an accident. Doesn't Whitney have a sister too? 

• Love 1

To their credit, Kelly was actively blogging back then, read the horrified comments, and Forrest hasn't been seen since. I guess ABeka history doesn't teach that part of his past. To then, he was likely a Confederate hero (because we know they proudly sneer AR Yankees to this day).

• Love 5

To their credit, Kelly was actively blogging back then, read the horrified comments, and Forrest hasn't been seen since. I guess ABeka history doesn't teach that part of his past. To then, he was likely a Confederate hero (because we know they proudly sneer AR Yankees to this day).

Personally I don't give them any credit.  They had the pictures proudly displayed - without knowing who they were and what they represented?  I don't believe that.  And weren't Gil and Kelly somewhat educated traditionally and would have been aware who they were portraying on their wall?  The pictures disappeared after people complained, is that because they wanted a show?    I don't give them credit.  

• Love 5

I totally blame ignorance. That type of Southerner learns a very whitewashed (pardon the pun) version of history. I can totally believe that Kelly got through college without knowing what Forrest was up to after the Civil War. I graduated college only having to take one lower-division History course. I happened to choose Post-Civil War US History, so I read about the Klan. I can see people like the Bateses staying willfully ignorant. Look at how Jessica Seewald pretty much denied this part of history to defend one of her idiotic screeds.

The less you know...

• Love 6

Personally I don't give them any credit.  They had the pictures proudly displayed - without knowing who they were and what they represented?  I don't believe that.  And weren't Gil and Kelly somewhat educated traditionally and would have been aware who they were portraying on their wall?  The pictures disappeared after people complained, is that because they wanted a show?    I don't give them credit.  

Well, you know, they were Gothardites for decades and yet, until a few weeks ago, they didn't know who he was and what he represented either. Har de har har har.

They're lying liars who lie. Fierce protectors of their tv-ready image, mainly.

• Love 9

I totally blame ignorance. That type of Southerner learns a very whitewashed (pardon the pun) version of history. I can totally believe that Kelly got through college without knowing what Forrest was up to after the Civil War. I graduated college only having to take one lower-division History course. I happened to choose Post-Civil War US History, so I read about the Klan. I can see people like the Bateses staying willfully ignorant. Look at how Jessica Seewald pretty much denied this part of history to defend one of her idiotic screeds.

The less you know...

I don't think they knew who they were because I don't believe they would have displayed them on TV if they did. They were on TLC then, and I think TLC knew.

• Love 2

In that instance, of course Gil and Kelly knew. I wonder how hard it's been to keep his spawn in the dark? I imagine Lawson talks to Brandon about... stuff. It's possible that kids from maybe Carlin down still don't know much other than that "Mr. Gothard" had to step down. Maybe they were told that he retired, because he's frikkin 1000 years old. Who knows?

Lawson? Lying through his teeth to save face.

• Love 4

I don't think they knew who they were because I don't believe they would have displayed them on TV if they did. They were on TLC then, and I think TLC knew.

Good point. I'm still not completely convinced, though, since I know some presumably intelligent confederacy lovers who don't seem to think there's anything wrong with it!

I also think that, if you're going to homeschool your kids -- i.e., teach history, among other things, through high school level -- it would say more about you as a responsible teacher if you looked up the whole stories of the people whose pictures you hang on the wall in a place of honor, if you didn't actually know!

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3

Oh yes, I don't believe for a second they were ignorant as to who these men were. Many southerners idolize Confederate "heroes," and say that it's all about heritage, states' rights, etc. It really bothers me. I wonder what people like Brandon and Chad think about it, as northerners.

I'm so torn about the Bateses. I want to believe the best, but I just saw that Gil (and Chad's dad) were named in the suit against Gothard as being on the IBLP board. What I'm unclear on is the timeline -- were they the ones who ignored dozens of complaints against Gothard?

• Love 2
(edited)

Even worse, that was filmed in the motorhome.

The mother looks like a truck stop hooker.

What was that godawful squealing sound? ? The plumbing?? The first daughter doing her hair was actually far prettier than any Duggar daughter except for Jana.

Those kids are all going to have some sort of lung cancer from all the aerosol particles.

Yuck.

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 8

And now for something completely different, Eyebrows McGee, aka Danielle Seewald, fancies herself a singer. Link is in the bio of this IG post. Is anyone willing to take one for the team? 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCW6XUzAJpP/?taken-by=ben_seewald

Not bad, but not unique either.  In fact, she sounds exactly like some female singer I can't place at the moment because of too many vocal profiles roaming around my head after 4 decades... sometimes it takes me an entire credits sequence to identify a singer.  Country-folk aficionados might be able to put their finger on it.

(edited)

I don't know how long Dr. Paine has been a board member, but even so, the abuses were apparently a badly kept open secret. There is no way either man joined the board ignorant of what happened.

I just saw Erin's statement where she said that Gil and Dr. Paine joined the board in 2014 and were not aware of all the covered up accusations. Actually, I may believe them, only because of how corrupt the whole thing was run. I don't think the board was telling anyone on the outside what was happening. Still, I'm not sure I believe them. Just maybe.

Editing to add: I was just checking to see if my comment on Jill Rodrigues's hair tutorial was removed, and it was. (I was watching the one where it's just her talking about makeup and looking good for your husband, and she said wives should keep trim for her husbands.) So I politely asked if she encourages husbands to stay trim for their wives. Bam -- deleted! I got a chuckle out of it as least and hope she's smart enough to understand my jab. ;)

Oh, and WOW. Check out this video and be prepared to howl with laughter. If you can't stomach the whole thing, it really starts to get hilarious at the 4:20 mark. I'm not making fun of the poor kids; it's not their fault, but rather their parents. It's a Christmas performance and truly makes the Duggars sound like world class musicians.

Edited by becca3891
  • Love 2

I just saw Erin's statement where she said that Gil and Dr. Paine joined the board in 2014 and were not aware of all the covered up accusations. Actually, I may believe them, only because of how corrupt the whole thing was run. I don't think the board was telling anyone on the outside what was happening. Still, I'm not sure I believe them. Just maybe.

One large strike against their story is the fact that there's quite a bit of commentary out there from rank-and-file Gothardites stating that pretty dead-on rumors of BG's proclivities were rife throughout the organization since at least the 80s.

This one, for example -- http://homeschoolersanonymous.org/2016/02/22/bill-gothards-abuse-is-not-a-surprise/

• Love 4

This archived copy of the IBLP.org board of directors page, from June 2013, lists Mr Gil Bates, Dr Stephen Paine and Mr Bill Gothard as board members. The board placed Bill Gothard on administrative leave in February 2014, so I don't see how Gil and Doc Paine could not know. Paine should be shitting bricks.

• Love 11

Wow, that video.  Jill R. has three children under the age of four!  And she sounds and talks just like Priscilla!  I feel so bad for those children.  The girls all speak in a high, squeaky gothard voice but they are practically whispering compared to their mother.  I guess she is the only one who is allowed to project her voice.  Those kids were so grateful that God "gave" them that nice house and now they are already back on the road for some reason. And those poor children certainly seemed well trained up by the Pearl method.  I hope God "finds" nice husbands for those girls.

• Love 6

The mother looks like a truck stop hooker.

What was that godawful squealing sound? ? The plumbing?? The first daughter doing her hair was actually far prettier than any Duggar daughter except for Jana.

Those kids are all going to have some sort of lung cancer from all the aerosol particles.

Yuck.

I think Jil R is more of a modern day Tammy Faye. Sure she is stuck in the early 90's but at least she doesn't look like a hag like Teri Maxwell.

• Love 2

Editing to add: I was just checking to see if my comment on Jill Rodrigues's hair tutorial was removed, and it was. (I was watching the one where it's just her talking about makeup and looking good for your husband, and she said wives should keep trim for her husbands.) So I politely asked if she encourages husbands to stay trim for their wives. Bam -- deleted! I got a chuckle out of it as least and hope she's smart enough to understand my jab. ;)

Oh, and WOW. Check out this video and be prepared to howl with laughter. If you can't stomach the whole thing, it really starts to get hilarious at the 4:20 mark. I'm not making fun of the poor kids; it's not their fault, but rather their parents. It's a Christmas performance and truly makes the Duggars sound like world class musicians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UndYh_JG7zc

OMFG, WHAT A SHITSHOW! Her kids look severely malnourished. I know I shouldn't laugh but OMFG. I've been sick with a cold and this video just made my day. Churches actually pay to hear them play music??!!

• Love 1