Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

Then after explaining ever so humbly how he was just a Christian on his way to a Bible Bee...

I wonder how many times the jolly black officer had heard THAT one before.

• Love 6

I wonder how many times the jolly black officer had heard THAT one before.

One for the books alright.  Police report reads: Pecan Grove owner called police to report two people trespassing on his property and stealing his pecans. Couple attempted to return to their vehicle but were apprehended. Couple explained they were just on their way to Bible Bee, picked a Bible Bee bag full of  pecans, without permission from Pecan Grove owner but didn't think he'd mind,  and when caught offered to reimburse Grove owner $100 for theft while apologizing for said theft and explaining they are Christians. Pecan Grove owner took pity on the crying woman and her pleading husband and decided not to press charges.

• Love 4

When they say they're 'going in the road' for ministry that usually means they are speaking at churches either for a set fee with an additional 'bonus' love offering, if just a love offering.

Let me tell you about those love offerings. They're usually cash and not reported - kind of like tips in the offering plate, that go directly to the guest speaker, singer, etc. With those speaking engagements come plugs for everything they sell. Those ministry opportunities are marketing trips. they do mention being affiliates for Amazon and other products as well.

Factor in that they don't have many expenses if they are homebound, sew their own clothes, grow a lot of their food, aren't part of any gyms, clubs, social groups, etc., but their own hair, don't wear makeup, don't have school expenses, don't purchase books, etc.

There probably is no retirement. Health insurance - not sure how that works now with national health care, and I don't want to start that debate, but a lot of these families rely on home remedies and the ER.

"Jolly black officer" makes me picture a black Santa wearing a police badge on his Santa costume.

YES and we know Santa is just satan spelled wrong Edited by RazzleberryPie
  • Love 2

So Anna Maxwell is working in the family business doing order fulfillment, her "career" of choice. How many orders do these people get? A book here & there? She acts like she works at Amazon processing orders.

I would love to question the Maxwells about their health plan & most importantly, their retirement plan.

Didn't you hear? For Christians, the pay isn't much, but their retirement plan is out of this world!

• Love 9

Here's the thing with the Maxwells - if you want to work out at home, fine. If you don't like the music, attire, etc gyms, that's fine, too. If you don't see value in college or tech training, ok. Just say that. Own it, ignore it, move on.

Don't pull out God's Holy Word and be all sanctimonious with scripture reference as to why you are correct and everyone else is an ignorant heathen who needs instructed and/or shunned for having a different opinion.

Even Jesus took some down time from ministry and liked a good party. It's ok to have an opinion without having to flip through the KJV to justify it.

I honestly don't think this family knows how to have a single thought without trying to justify it with scripture and then tell everyone else they are wrong. If I said I like blue better than I like red, they'd find some way to prove it with scripture - and most of the scripture would have nothing to do with my personal opinion.

• Love 11

Sneaking around watching people when they're sleeping, pulling little children on his lap, eating way too much....wait that's JOSH.

Oh man it's just all adding up right now - 'you better watch out you better not cry' 'he sees you when you're sleeping - and he knows when you're awake'. But he brought me toys! Damn it. I was fooled the whole time. Candy, cookies, toys - all bribery for pretending to be asleep and it was really nothing, nothing really.

• Love 3

One for the books alright. Police report reads: Pecan Grove owner called police to report two people trespassing on his property and stealing his pecans. Couple attempted to return to their vehicle but were apprehended. Couple explained they were just on their way to Bible Bee, picked a Bible Bee bag full of pecans, without permission from Pecan Grove owner but didn't think he'd mind, and when caught offered to reimburse Grove owner $100 for theft while apologizing for said theft and explaining they are Christians. Pecan Grove owner took pity on the crying woman and her pleading husband and decided not to press charges.

Please don't arrest me, I'm a Christian?? Then you REALLY have no excuse for not thinking someone would

mind stealing from them. Or maybe it's true that you all just parrot the Bible and don't really understand it. But apparently you think you are extra special.

I feel like screaming.

• Love 6

I can't copy the article on my phone, but She Knows is reporting that Erin Bates Paine is pregnant. I can't say I am happy after what she went through to have Carson. I hope they know what they're doing and that those heparin shots are covered by insurance.

I can't copy the article on my phone, but She Knows is reporting that Erin Bates Paine is pregnant. I can't say I am happy after what she went through to have Carson. I hope they know what they're doing and that those heparin shots are covered by insurance.

Yep.  Lawson just retweeted that article.  She is preggers.

I'm sick and apparently I want to torture myself do I'm watching the Bates show.

1. Why does Michaela freak the fuck out when her sister touches her boyfriend? I felt sorry for Bates girl the way that Michaela went after her. Hello dysfunction.

2. Brandon speaks with the patterns and verbiage as TFDW. It's skeevy.

Those lips looks like he's related to Rim Job.

3. Why do these gothardites keep referring to their virginity to. Christmas presents? Is there no other analogy their small minds can come up with?

• Love 9

Wow. I'm really hoping Erin and Chad want to give Carson a sibling and then close up shop. Otherwise she's a fool. If I'm not mistaken, she has to be on Heparin injections throughout her pregnancy, and those can have long term side effects.

FakeJosh, to answer your question about Michaela, she's a psycho when it comes to Brandon.

• Love 3

They don't look too happy about it, going by those rictus grins.

And WTF. Why would any sane person choose to go through another pregnancy so soon after their first very dangerous one. Why not wait a couple of years to let Erin's body recuperate?

I honestly don't understand their logic. If they are leaving the number of children they have up to God, why would using medicine to stop pregnancy from happening be evil, bad and wrong while using medicine to maintain a pregnancy which would otherwise self-terminate be ok? Wouldn't both be messing with God's wishes?

• Love 11

Right, leaving the number of children to god implies letting nature take it's course. Without aggressive intervention from science, Erin would not have carried any child to term. Her accepting heparin shots to artificially maintain a pregnacy, is no different than another woman choosing birth control to prevent pregnancy.

• Love 12

I honestly don't understand their logic. If they are leaving the number of children they have up to God, why would using medicine to stop pregnancy from happening be evil, bad and wrong while using medicine to maintain a pregnancy which would otherwise self-terminate be ok? Wouldn't both be messing with God's wishes?

Gothard... I mean God wants his army!!!

• Love 1

These people struggle to master doorknobs yet want to decide for other women how many children they should have and who can legally marry?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand.....there you have it...irrefutable proof that the Maxwells are all dumber than doorknobs!

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 5

Here's the thing with the Maxwells - if you want to work out at home, fine. If you don't like the music, attire, etc gyms, that's fine, too. If you don't see value in college or tech training, ok. Just say that. Own it, ignore it, move on.

Don't pull out God's Holy Word and be all sanctimonious with scripture reference as to why you are correct and everyone else is an ignorant heathen who needs instructed and/or shunned for having a different opinion.

Even Jesus took some down time from ministry and liked a good party. It's ok to have an opinion without having to flip through the KJV to justify it.

I honestly don't think this family knows how to have a single thought without trying to justify it with scripture and then tell everyone else they are wrong. If I said I like blue better than I like red, they'd find some way to prove it with scripture - and most of the scripture would have nothing to do with my personal opinion.

I opened the link,rather Pandora's Box....heres their biblical justification to be a stay at home wife and mother:

To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.” (Titus 2:5)

Makes that Proverbs 31 woman just seem like a brazen hussy!

10 [a]A wife of noble character who can find?

She is worth far more than rubies.

11 Her husband has full confidence in her

and lacks nothing of value.

12 She brings him good, not harm,

all the days of her life.

13 She selects wool and flax

and works with eager hands.

14 She is like the merchant ships,

bringing her food from afar.

15 She gets up while it is still night;

she provides food for her family

and portions for her female servants.

16 She considers a field and buys it;

out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.

17 She sets about her work vigorously;

her arms are strong for her tasks.

18 She sees that her trading is profitable,

and her lamp does not go out at night.

19 In her hand she holds the distaff

and grasps the spindle with her fingers.

20 She opens her arms to the poor

and extends her hands to the needy.

21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;

for all of them are clothed in scarlet.

22 She makes coverings for her bed;

she is clothed in fine linen and purple.

23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,

where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.

24 She makes linen garments and sells them,

and supplies the merchants with sashes.

25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;

she can laugh at the days to come.

26 She speaks with wisdom,

and faithful instruction is on her tongue.

27 She watches over the affairs of her household

and does not eat the bread of idleness.

28 Her children arise and call her blessed;

her husband also, and he praises her:

29 “Many women do noble things,

but you surpass them all.”

30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;

but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

31 Honor her for all that her hands have done,

and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

However they choose Titus since that woman seems far more subjugated. 31 girl leaves the house( horrors) and doesn't wear Fundie Misery Fashion. This chick is empowered businesslike and respected and makes deals....

• Love 4

And WTF. Why would any sane person choose to go through another pregnancy so soon after their first very dangerous one. Why not wait a couple of years to let Erin's body recuperate?

They say the baby is a surprise, which means they weren't in consultation with Erin's doctor in regards to attempting a second pregnancy. At this point in the game, Chad and Erin know unprotected sex leads to babies. Why she wasn't on some form of birth control is beyond me. Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 1

I opened the link,rather Pandora's Box....heres their biblical justification to be a stay at home wife and mother:

To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.” (Titus 2:5)

However they choose Titus since that woman seems far more subjugated. 31 girl leaves the house( horrors) and doesn't wear Fundie Misery Fashion. This chick is empowered businesslike and respected and makes deals....

Bulls eye!! You're spot on with that assessment. 

They say the baby is a surprise, which means they weren't in consultation with Erin's doctor in regards to attempting a second pregnancy. At this point in the game, Chad and Erin know unprotected sex leads to babies. Why she wasn't on some form of birth control is beyond me.

As the saying goes, if you're not actively trying to keep from having a baby, you're pretty much trying to have one. Why people who don't use any family planning methods - that does from everything from charting/rhythm method to birth control pills/IUDs/condoms, etc. - are surprised at pregnancy, I don't know. 

• Love 5

Kelly Bates was asked about this during one of their ABC Primetime specials (here's the link). The answer was tied to their beliefs about life beginning at conception. In their eyes, once a pregnancy exists, not doing everything possible to ensure its survival is like not getting medical care for a kid who broke a leg or was bleeding to death. To them, that's a totally different thing than preventing life from coming into existence.

I doubt it's the case with Erin and Chad given the belief system, but birth control fails sometimes. Mostly because of improper use, but even under the ideal circumstances, none of the methods outside abstinence has an effective rate of 100 percent. Close, but someone has to be on the other side of the decimal point.

Edited by Dejana

I wonder if Whitney is mad that Erin stole her thunder. How boring, carrying a healthy baby to term while your sister in law is martyring her womb for Jesus!

Lol, it wouldn't surprise me. I'm sure Michaela is the most pissed off right now, though. She's been married a whopping six months and no baby announcement yet.

• Love 3

If this passage was written in today's time it would include: She goes to college and earns her degree and marries no man who wishes keeps her down.  She puts her health not at risk in consideration of her loved ones.   She takes counsel not from  fools who wish to subjugate her but from wisdom that commends her intelligence and direction.

• Love 5

If they had a college degree, they might be able to see what's wrong with this. (Everything!)

If everyone's homeschooling, wouldn't a teaching degree come in handy somewhere?

The truly scary part is that I'm pretty sure that both the Maxwells do have college degrees. When you read some of Teri's stuff on homeschooling, it's clear that she is intelligent, reasonable and even informed in some ways -- but all of that is obviously for naught when you're nuts.

• Love 4

I also hope that Erin and Chad have a healthy baby and close up shop.   A girl would be nice so they have one of each and don't have to "keep trying for a daughter".

Chad is extremely helpful and obviously worships the ground she walks on.  A rarity in their world to be sure. I don't think he would willingly put her in any danger, and I do think the pregnancy was a surprise.  Birth control is not 100% effective.  My youngest is living proof of that. ;)

Based on some of her instagram posts I get the impression that she finds motherhood a little more difficult than she had imagined, even though she came from such a large family. And as difficult as the first pregnancy was, she didn't have a very young child who honestly won't understand or care why Mommy is not able to give him her undivided attention.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 1

I wonder if Whitney is mad that Erin stole her thunder. How boring, carrying a healthy baby to term while your sister in law is martyring her womb for Jesus!

I truly don't think Whitney is mad at all. She lost her parents and has only a sister so her having a caring, loving family that supports her is way more important then being petty about the next baby in the family.

Well I think it's a different story with Michaela. I can see her being the jealous one because what else does she have to do but lovingly look at her husband and produce children?

• Love 2

As warped as the beliefs of the Bates are I don't sense the one upmanship between the siblings that Duggars seem to have and I'd fully buy that the Bates are far more supportive and genuinely happy for one another. I could see Whitney and Erin bonding over this.

• Love 1

If they had a college degree, they might be able to see what's wrong with this. (Everything!)

If everyone's homeschooling, wouldn't a teaching degree come in handy somewhere?

I love to read. I adore repositories of knowledge and information. A good library or bookstore is truly my idea of heaven. It is tragic that these are to be distrusted among the Gothardesque. Honestly, it hurts my heart a little.

More books for me, though.

• Love 7

I truly don't think Whitney is mad at all. She lost her parents and has only a sister so her having a caring, loving family that supports her is way more important then being petty about the next baby in the family.

Well I think it's a different story with Michaela. I can see her being the jealous one because what else does she have to do but lovingly look at her husband and produce children?

I don't see Michaela being jealous either. Maybe anxious and having a difficult time seeing all the pregnancies around her, but I don''t think she'd dislike her sisters and sister in law having their own. They don't seem petty like that.

• Love 2

I think Whitney will enjoy being pregnant with Erin and would probably love for Michael & Alyssa to be pregnant with them too.

Whitney was adopted, as a teenager I think, and is very close to her parents. They had one of the younger girls birthday party at her parents home, I believe. 

I don't think Chad & Erin were using birth control. I assume she thought breast feeding was offering her protection. The Bates come off as more free spirited than the Duggars, but I think they are every bit as Fundy. Erin & Michael appear the most Fundiest to me of the older girls.

• Love 2

As warped as the beliefs of the Bates are I don't sense the one upmanship between the siblings that Duggars seem to have and I'd fully buy that the Bates are far more supportive and genuinely happy for one another. I could see Whitney and Erin bonding over this.

I don't think the Bates sisters and their sisters in law have that competitive passive aggressive streak that the Duggar females do.

• Love 1

They may have competitive streaks, but come on!!  You marry into or part of a very large family, all with the same goal (get married ASAP and have lots of babies) you must know your moment in the spotlight will always be short lived.

If I remember correctly, Erin had to begin attending the Temple Church while she was at Crown College as it is one of their rules.  She and Chad continued to attend that church after she graduated.  this is not the church congregation that her parents started, and that Gil is the paster of.    Just because her parents and Chad's parents are associated with Gothard does not mean Erin and Chad are.  I think Alyssa and her husband have gone to fundy-lite also. 

• Love 2

Chad and Erin are certainly not fundie lite. They're still living by all of Gothard's rules of dress, childbearing, etc.

I commend Erin on sticking with her church family, but Gil started his church while she was at Clown College, so no harm, no foul there. Don't forget that Gothard was an honored guest at her wedding, complete with a birthday cake.

• Love 6

I don't buy that Erin and Chad no longer follow Gothard. They met at a Gothard sponsored event and the guy was at their wedding FFS. Both their fathers were key players in covering up the sex abuse scandal.

I think Alyssa is really the only one who's gone Fundie lite.

• Love 7

Of course Erin knows about the lawsuit. The Bateseseses are a close-knit bunch. But his ministry still lives on. Children of board members don't break free of the ministry. If it walks like a duck...

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 5

Sew Sumi,

i was wondering if these Gothard kids think the lawsuit is just "some bad heathens saying bad things about such a Godly man. Satan is attacking"

Seems she ditched Gothard quickly...she might actually know about the extent of the abuse. I'm sure she knows about the lawsuits butmaybe she has the facts? Or at least some of them?

• Love 1

I think Whitney will enjoy being pregnant with Erin and would probably love for Michael & Alyssa to be pregnant with them too.

Whitney was adopted, as a teenager I think, and is very close to her parents. They had one of the younger girls birthday party at her parents home, I believe. 

I don't think Chad & Erin were using birth control. I assume she thought breast feeding was offering her protection. The Bates come off as more free spirited than the Duggars, but I think they are every bit as Fundy. Erin & Michael appear the most Fundiest to me of the older girls.

They were another couple who said in their vows that they'd "allow God to decide the size of their families" - they're not using birth control. Now hopefully, they'll purpose for the discernment to be laid upon their hearts in future seasons of life to mean God has decided the size of their family through giving them access to medical professionals and family planning methods that won't kill Erin.

Erin Paine denies any affiliation with Gothard and ATI (and the ministry as a whole). I guess she forgets her father's position as well as the fact that her parents will be speaking at Big Sandy this spring. I think her skirt is on fire. https://www.instagram.com/p/BB8773bA4gd/

So let's factor out anything to do with her parents, because she's been married and out of the house for a few years, BUT - Uh, she met her husband at a Valentine dinner affiliated with ATI. She had a damn birthday cake for Gothard at her wedding, which was beyond strange to me. So is she denying current affiliation, or every having any affiliation. If she's denying every having any affiliation, she's a liar and I'm disappointed. I may not share all the same beliefs as her, but I never pegged her as dishonest or a liar.

• Love 6

Erin Paine denies any affiliation with Gothard and ATI (and the ministry as a whole). I guess she forgets her father's position as well as the fact that her parents will be speaking at Big Sandy this spring. I think her skirt is on fire. https://www.instagram.com/p/BB8773bA4gd/

I find Erin's post rather shocking. I wonder if Dr Paine & Gil are also trying to distance themselves from Gothard now as well. A day late and a dollar short if they are. Does anyone know if they're still on the Board of Directors? 

Other than a couple of the kids attending Christian college and Alyssa wearing pants, it seems they're still following Gothard teachings. At least that's the way it looks on their show.

• Love 4

Erin Paine denies any affiliation with Gothard and ATI (and the ministry as a whole). I guess she forgets her father's position as well as the fact that her parents will be speaking at Big Sandy this spring. I think her skirt is on fire. https://www.instagra.../p/BB8773bA4gd/

And her parents are going to speak/spoke at ATI events. She deserves to be torn a new one over the cake, and his honored guest status.

Kinda hard to backpedal when everyone knows he'd Daddy's boss.

• Love 7