Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

Wow the Willis Family is a breath of fresh air!! I have to admit I cried when they talked about Toby losing his brothers and his sister in the horrific accident. Scott and Janet Willis endured what I don't think many people could ever survive.

They are all so lively and talented!!!! I loved Toby's digs at the Duggars by saying that not all homeschool families are alike. These two parents have real college educations and it showed. 

• Love 4

(I learned that somebody - JenCarroll maybe? - has a STROKE over the wrong usage of their name)

I don't think that was me. I try to avoid forum-related apoplexy when possible. :-)

• Love 3
(edited)

For starters:  Erin's little bee-boppy curls at the ends of her hair.  Oh.My.Gosh.  And THEN she does a tutorial about it!!!!!!  (I told you I was up till 4).

To my secret (ok, not so secret) shame, I have to confess that I actually love Erin's boppy curls! Yes, they are slightly odd and anachronistic and overly styled, but they suit her (and look kinda cute if you disregard the fact that we live in the 21st century). She's actually found a style that is genuinely her, not Gothard, not fundie-bland, not contemporary fashion victim, but something original to her own tastes and preferences and I kinda love that. Especially after seeing the Duggars' one-look-fits-all attitude to stringy hair and ratty clothes. Erin may look like a slightly demented Nellie Oleson, but she does it with confidence and flair. :)

Edited by Vaysh
  • Love 7

Erin's hair is everything!!!! Love her.

And thank you Bella for suggesting a Willis forum. I looked for one before I posted here but didn't find one. I will submit my request too. :)

• Love 1
(edited)

Auntl,

Bella set up the thread, it's just not on the main list yet.  If you go to the Forum list and click on the "New Show Forum Request" thread, it's there. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 1

I moved some posts over to the Gimme That Old Time Religion topic since the conversation turned to religion. Hopefully, the conversation will continue there because it was very interesting. 

Thanks!

• Love 2

Are the mods going to create a Willis board?  I'd like to talk about them too.  Do they need more than 1 person to make the request, or am I just impatient?  *LOL*

Just as an FYI, we usually wait for members to make the request, and there's a forum specifically for requesting new shows in the Site Business section. One of the 19 Kids posters has done that.

Once the admin person who handles that function sets up the forum, we'll let you know and we can all discuss the Willises there. For now, anything that's said in the request thread will be deleted (not by us). So keep your eyes peeled, and we will do the same. We'll have at least two of the four 19 Kids mods on that forum.

• Love 2

I don't recall seeing this link here before (I found it on someone's blog - can't remember who). I rolled my eyes so hard that I thought they were going to fall out. If it's been posted before, then move along, nothing to see here.

http://davidlovespriscilla.com/2012/12/04/the-pecan-story/

I guarantee there was a big ole "No Tresspassing" sign on the property but God laid it on David's heart to ignore it.

It's just crazy how these people have to turn small incidents into these big drawn out sagas.

• Love 6

I don't recall seeing this link here before (I found it on someone's blog - can't remember who).  I rolled my eyes so hard that I thought they were going to fall out.  If it's been posted before, then move along, nothing to see here.

Why, why, why did you post their webpage????? Damn you now I'm reading their blog and thinking that Prissy needs to be freed from a life of squinting. That is all. :)

I guarantee there was a big ole "No Tresspassing" sign on the property but God laid it on David's heart to ignore it.

It's just crazy how these people have to turn small incidents into these big drawn out sagas.

IMO, little things have to be turned into big sagas.  It's all these people have. Otherwise, there's nothing big or interesting going on for them.

• Love 7
(edited)

Ha. David's little pecan saga was entertaining, I have to admit, but he makes me cringe because he's positively drunk on the Gothard Kool-Aid. "I had a caution" is a HUGE Gothard catchphrase, and while in this instance I had no problem with how he used it -- just substitute "conscience" and he had a good point -- it is all too often abused. Just consider this heartbreaking example of it from the website of a friend of David Waller's:

"All through my life, a common thread of lessons have involved obedience to my heavenly Father through my earthly father no matter the cost; this happened when I wanted to get into medical school and my father had a caution so I ended up taking my Home Health degree through correspondence (which was the best training I could have ever received!)"

Here's the link to that: http://robertloveskendalyn.com/kendalyn/I think that's about one of the most heartbreaking and depressing Gothard-related oppression of women I have ever read. He "had a caution?" I think God's voice must sound a lot like Bill Gothard's. Now she has a crappy, worthless workbook "degree" just like Jill's "midwifery certificate."

Edited by becca3891
  • Love 7

Heartbreaking and depressing, indeed. My god, what a horrible story. That poor woman with all her choices taken from her, forced to do the will of her father (whose system seems to have been "Take away anything she enjoys and is good at.") and then expected to be grateful about it. The fact that she really does seem grateful is possibly the scariest part of it.

• Love 4

One of the Maxwell boys wanted to be a paramedic. His father wouldn't let him because he might get assigned a female partner and be tempted to stray. The Duggars look like Obama loving, weed smoking hippies compared to the Maxhells.

• Love 2

After looking at Alyssa Webster's Instagram, I like the Bateses even more. Yes, they're Gothard, but somewhere along the line, they were able to communicate to their kids that if they decided to dress in such a way that showed their knees and shoulders, God wouldn't smite them. Alyssa manages to look modest, yet modern and attractive.

Contrast that with Jill blurring her stupid knees.

• Love 1

Boohoo, David. You trespassed on someone's property and stole...like, what did you expect was going to happen?

He didn't steal, he GLEANED!!!! Get your terminology straight! :p

I also miss the original post that mentioned the "fat and jolly" African American cop. Even fellow fundies ripped him a new one for that sweeping generalization. 

• Love 6

That story was interesting.

“I am a born again Christian and no Christian should ever steal. God and I have a good relationship and I had a caution in my spirit not to do that and I did not listen to God’s prompting. I am really sorry, and I would like to offer this guy restitution. I have no clue what the bag of pecans is worth, but I have $100 in cash right here to give him.”

God and I have a great relationship and when He tells me not to do something, I know better, but I disobeyed His prompting. I want you to know that I am very sorry. Here is a token of my apology.” I stuffed the hundred dollars in the top of the bag and began to back away.

So he tried to bribe the guy into not pressing charges. Lols. Pregnant Pris also broke down in tears. Oh dear.

To bad he didn't go to jail. Things go on there David might be able to righteously fulfill. Also - 24/7 prison ministry!

• Love 3

That story was interesting.

So he tried to bribe the guy into not pressing charges. Lols. Pregnant Pris also broke down in tears. Oh dear.

To bad he didn't go to jail. Things go on there David might be able to righteously fulfill. Also - 24/7 prison ministry!

Wow prison would have been a huge eye opener for TFDW! He could make new "friends" all the while spreading his ministry.....double win.

• Love 5

To my secret (ok, not so secret) shame, I have to confess that I actually love Erin's boppy curls! Yes, they are slightly odd and anachronistic and overly styled, but they suit her (and look kinda cute if you disregard the fact that we live in the 21st century). She's actually found a style that is genuinely her, not Gothard, not fundie-bland, not contemporary fashion victim, but something original to her own tastes and preferences and I kinda love that. Especially after seeing the Duggars' one-look-fits-all attitude to stringy hair and ratty clothes. Erin may look like a slightly demented Nellie Oleson, but she does it with confidence and flair. :)

I have to admit, I really like Erin. But whenever she's on TV and my husband is in the room, he can't believe how dolled up she is constantly (he usually rolls his eyes and says she needs to calm down, haha) - especially compared to her sisters who seem to not care nearly as much about their appearance. However, I love that she has her own personality and is happy with her look.

I don't recall seeing this link here before (I found it on someone's blog - can't remember who).  I rolled my eyes so hard that I thought they were going to fall out.  If it's been posted before, then move along, nothing to see here.

This is absolutely hilarious. I always wonder what these people's ideas are of "born again Christian." Like, how bad were you, really, before you decided to become a Christian???? It's kind of like when Jinger went on a rant about how she used to "live a life of sin." What sin were you ever allowed to make (compared to someone not raised this strictly, who isn't homeschooled, can get on the internet and watch TV, has friends outside their own strict religion, etc.)???

• Love 3
(edited)

I remember reading a book, I think Beauty by Sheri Tepper, where the main character says she has people coming to her door wanting her to be a born again Christian, and she asks them "why, do you think God didn't get it right his first try?"

Edited by kalamac
  • Love 2
(edited)

I just watched the first episode of United Sates of Bates on youtube.  I really enjoyed it!  I know this probably aired many moons ago, but I just saw it so sorry for the late commentary.

Wow!  What a contrast.  

Kelly bringing home the baby and has the sense to greet her other younger children and not completely ignore them.  She also encouraged the little girl (I think it was Callie) to have contact with the new baby- and therefore less likely to be jealous- by holding his hand.  I remember what a horrible person MEchelle was to poor Jordyn when she got near Miracle.

Loved their Valentines Day celebration!  Kelly seemed so involved and they all laughed and had such a good time.  I loved that they joked around with each other- something the Duggars never do.

That little girl Callie is simply ADORABLE!  OMG!  Love her and I love the way Gil interacts with her.  She was quite small at the time and I'm not sure of her age, but she looked to be about 3 at the most.  Her vocabulary was excellent!  I guess it makes a difference when your so called mother doesn't talk baby talk to you.

The main thing that I noticed is that MEchelle is a total copycat.  She named two of her children the same names as her 'best friend'.  (Josie and Jackson).  That is just weird to me.  But then again, she was just out there grasping for names, dreaming of the next time she could be pregnant,  and thought of the Bates kids.  

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 5

I'm really happy for Chad and Erin and glad it is over and the baby is healthy.  That is one couple that is going to have to become expert in natural family planning.  She can't spend her life having miscarriages or getting painful shots in order to produce dozens of kids.

• Love 6

Wow, the Bates girls are like the Kate Middleton birthers of the Fundie World. Erin looks amazing and Baby Carson is adorable. I didn't realize she was due already, it seems like she hasn't been pregnant for that long. I'm truly happy her delivery went safely.

• Love 3

Erin was due in 4 weeks. Article made no mention of why he came early.  Your right Bitter Apple she is the Kate Middleton of the fundie world. Erin is gorgeous!

Looking forward to more pictures of Carson.

• Love 2

Looks like he was born at 36-37 weeks. Probably safer for him to be out anyway -- to make sure neither mom or baby suffer complications from her clotting disorder.

Chad must be so happy and relieved. I mean of course Erin is, but Chad always seemed so miserable and teary when talking about their miscarriages and he just looked so wistful when they were at Zach and Whitney's baby shower and again when they visited Z&W in the hospital; in the hospital it as obvious -- he was standing behind his wife with his chin/face on her shoulder looking like he wanted to cry; Erin seemed like she was more focused on Z&W.

Maybe I'm giving them too much of a benefit of the doubt, but given the 3 miscarriages they endured, followed by enduring daily shots to make sure this pregnancy stuck, along with general worry not just what first time parents experience but also that Carson didn't end up in the NICU or with health problems -- I think they're just going to enjoy this child for a while and won't be trying in 6 weeks or 4 weeks or whatever is allowed for fundies. I wouldn't be surprised if they opted for birth control -- even if NFP -- after the year or two they've had -- esp if a doctor tells them that Erin can't keep having miscarriages or be on shot regimens more than x number of times. I think Chad probably wants a quiverful but is deeply in love with his wife -- you can see it in his eyes; if one child is all that was safe for Erin, he'd live happily with their family of 3. Realistically I can see them trying for 3-5 kids -- not the 12 or 18 that's the normal in this cult.

• Love 9

Wow, the Bates girls are like the Kate Middleton birthers of the Fundie World. Erin looks amazing and Baby Carson is adorable. I didn't realize she was due already, it seems like she hasn't been pregnant for that long. I'm truly happy her delivery went safely.

It probably helps that they don't start talking about the pregnancy at the moment of conception. The time to due date seems considerably shorter that way.

• Love 5
(edited)

Is there any information on Erin's clotting disorder? Did she have to spend her whole pregnancy injecting Lovenox? That would be really, really expensive on top of being really mentally draining and physically uncomfortable.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 2

I did some digging, and yes, it seems like the shots go through the duration of the pregnancy. That still doesn't guarantee anything. Apparently, there is still the risk of bleeding out during childbirth, which is why I highly suspect she had a c-section. 

• Love 1
(edited)

It sounds like it was something like Lovenox, then. It's usually dosed every 12 or every 24 hours. A lot of doctors will have patients on an anti-coagulant switch to Lovenox injections if they're having planned surgery because works for a smaller amount of time (as opposed to something like coumadin or the newer blood thinners like Eliquis or Xarelto) so they have more control over planned bleeding.  We see pregnant women on Lovenox fairly often. I'm not sure that would inhibit a vaginal birth, though. In fact, I would have assumed the opposite. There is a much larger chance for blood loss during a c-section, considering they're cutting you open and moving things around.

Unless she had an emergency c-section for other reasons, simply stopping the injections when her contractions started would probably be enough to allow for a vaginal delivery, if that's what she wanted.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 4

That's a tough pregnancy -- not even just the physical discomfort of shots, but having to keep up with them every 12-24 hrs while knowing that it's not a guarantee that there won't be complications for mom or baby. I honestly hope they go through this one more time (if they want another) and say -- you know what, most people in America have 2 kids, that's more than plenty for us given how tough pregnancy is.

• Love 1

It really will be interesting to see what happens with "trusting god with the size of your family" if it poses a major risk to Erin. It's all too easy to spout the party line until your life or the life of the one you love is on the line.

• Love 2