Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

55 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

The stimulant Plexus or the diuretic/laxative gut Plexus? Either way, Nurie might have a fussy baby on her hands. Nathan should step in and stop this Plexus nonsense, but I doubt he will. 

Nathan doesn't strike me as the sharpest tool in the shed. He probably drinks it too. Or maybe not because it is pink.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
  • LOL 2
11 hours ago, crazy8s said:

besides the 3 recent vacations it looks like the rods also have a nice new trampoline in their yard. From the picnic video

Screenshot (299).png

I'd say there goes the Rods insurance premium but I am still not convinced they have homeowners insurance

• Like 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

Are Jill's neighbors Amish or Mennonites? I would assume Jill would know the difference, but Jill often surprises me with what she knows and what she doesn't. 

Jill always says Amish, but I think it might be because she can spell Amish, maybe not Mennonite.

• LOL 19

Going back to Phillip and his burden to go to Hungary.  The Rodrigues family insists that the King James Version 1611 is the only acceptable version of the Bible and is the inerrant Word of God. But will Phillip expect the people of Hungary to use the KJV 1611? Because if it is translated into another language, would it still be the inerrant Word? They don't accept other English translations. I do know that some denominations work hard to translate the Bible into the many different languages of the world. Once it is translated though, it will not be the KJV, will it? But, just out of curiosity, do the Rodrigues family and others of their belief feel that the KJV 1611 must be used worldwide? Whether or not those who they are trying so hard to convert read English or not?  I know it is a moot point since it is unlikely that Phillip will be a missionary in Hungary, but I just wondered how it would work when he tries to share scripture. Also, does GWE print a version of his Smiley face tracts in Spanish? It seems like I saw something several years ago that he did.  If it contains any scripture, and it is in Spanish, then it would be a translation and not KJV 1611.

Edited to add, I just looked it up and there is evidently a Spanish version of the King James Version  but that makes no sense to me. Because once you translate it, it is no longer the KJV.  Perhaps because it is translated from the KJV instead of from the original Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic.  I am probably over thinking this whole subject!

Edited by Liddy52
  • Like 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

Do we know what order her Amish neighbors are?  There are several.  The Old World Amish community that I am familiar with will ride in a hired car, but will not own one (horse and buggy only).  But they hire drivers when they need to go shopping or to an event far from home.  I have seen Amish folks picking up groceries in a car driven by the car's owner.   But they don't "mingle" with their "English" neighbors for social reasons.  They are very friendly when you go into their stores, and wave as you drive by.  I can't imagine a neighborhood cookout with their English neighbors, however--or allowing pictures to be taken.   There are other orders that are more "worldly", however, which might be the case with these neighbors.  I think it depends on what their Bishop allows.  My point is, not all Amish are Old World Amish. 

The Amish I know don't have curtains in their windows and do not use buttons on their clothing.  The women use straight pins to close the front of their dresses, and the pins are always evenly spaced and perfectly straight.  No electricity, so gas lighting in their homes, and a gas motor for the washing machine or fan.  No telephones in the house, but some have a phone in a shed in the ditch out front.  Up until  few years ago, maps to their stores did not have street names.  You had to count the roads to find the correct turnoff.  But when 911 came into the area, the roads had to be named with street signs. Courting" couples have to ride in an open buggy.  No top on the buggy until marriage.  No church buildings.  They take turns meeting on Sunday at homes.  And they are always dressed in their "Sunday Best".  The children do go to a school.  At least in Iowa, the state has mandated that the Amish children must go to school, and they must be taught by credentialed teachers. The teachers do drive cars, and dress like the normal public.  You see their cars parked next to the school buildings.  In this regard, the Amish kids are much better off than the Rod kids.

The Amish in the Rod's area are possibly not a strict Old World order and may be more social.  I hope Jill is not trying to sell them Plexus!

We just got back from  trip to Lancaster County (yes we spent some time near Intercourse, no we did not go to the Grist Mill, maybe next trip).   Anyway, we were staying in an AirBnB in another town.   There were Amish neighbors.    They went by in the buggy while we were on the front lawn working on the antique SINGER SEWING MACHINE TABLE I managed to score.    They nicely waved.   I waved back.    So yes they can be "nice" but not necessarily "friendly."

But Jill doesn't know the difference.   She thinks anyone that takes 5 seconds to talk to her is her "sweet friend."   

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, ranchgirl said:

One of Jill's posts in her "church/neighborhood picnic" collection was her pointing out how many cars were in her driveway while walking amung the cars and pointing out the drive.  Even for Jill, this one was weird for me.  

She’s flexing/bragging about how popular she and her family are:  “Look at all of the cars!  Look at all of the people!  Everyone LOVES me and my family!”

10 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Abbie and JD, too. I don't see a lot of joy in any of the Rodlings eyes. 

I honestly can’t think of one thing that they have to be joyful about.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Love 4

E8D5FCCD-7170-4835-82FB-7DECF82A1EC0.jpeg

We are at it again!  Please continue to pray for our ministry, which continues to grow.  Thank God, our worldwide outreach is also expanding.  We have now shipped Gospel Literature to the following places....

1)USA (including Amazing Grace Missions-  Fairs and Festivals across America)
2) Canary Islands
3) Honduras 
4) Mexico
5) Liberia

David works SO hard in our Printing Ministry.  Yes, our children help collate and stitch (staple with machine), but David does the rest....design, makes plates, prints, folds, cuts and folds and cuts some more. Busy man!  😉🥰

It is an HONOR to serve Jesus full time!  🙏 
Romans 12:1 "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service."

• Thanks 5
  • LOL 6
9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I find it hard to believe they bought the trampoline. Someone must have given it to them.

well, she asked for checks for her mom be sent to her. so if people actually sent money direct to Jill, maybe the money was given to them that way and Jill did buy a trampoline. It looked new.

also it was in their yard. behind Timmy's trailer and just past the fire pit that has been shown in her videos.

waiting for Jill to post pics with all the amazing vegetables god has blessed them with from their garden. The amount of veggies she shows will in no way match with what that sad little garden could possibly produce.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 3
48 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

We are at it again!  Please continue to pray for our ministry, which continues to grow.  Thank God, our worldwide outreach is also expanding.  We have now shipped Gospel Literature to the following places....

2) Canary Islands
3) Honduras 
4) Mexico
5) Liberia

David works SO hard in our Printing Ministry.  Yes, our children help collate and stitch (staple with machine), but David does the rest....design, makes plates, prints, folds, cuts and folds and cuts some more. Busy man!  😉🥰

Romans 12:1 "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service."

She must have gotten some backlash about the constant vacationing, hence the need to remind us all that David is a hard-working man who works really hard, that all the kids help out in the family business (no mention of Jill herself doing any of the work) and that they are HONORED to be serving Jesus! Message received, Jillybean.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 8/22/2022 at 11:41 PM, awaken said:

“He sweetly grunted”

That line will never get old.

On 8/24/2022 at 2:35 PM, Notabug said:

The older ones fast because BME tells them it is their responsibility to eat less to provide for the younger ones; that Jesus wants it.

Jill very famously told us all about it when she was pregnant with Janessa.  Godless heathens might wonder why she and Dave had so many kids and how they would be able to feed them all.  However, Jill's godly children were utterly thrilled for another brother or sister and all of them told her they would gladly eat less at dinner in order to give the little one enough to eat.  I believe she referred to the kids refusing 'chicken legs' at dinner so there would be enough to go around.  She seemed to think this is what Jesus wants.  Meanwhile, not a word from Jill or Dave about making any sacrifices themselves to make sure their own kids don't suffer.  Because they won't, while expecting their kids to do it for them.  Sorta like Jill's attitude on helping her parents in their time of need.  Hey, she set up a Go Fund Me!  Now, it is other people's turn to contribute.

Below is a great post from Jill about Tim 'choosing' to fast in which she manages to tell the world that he is a 'chronic whiner' since birth.  She also talks about 'correcting' his behavior every single time for offenses large and small. Any wonder these kids are so messed up?

https://rodriguesfamilyministries.com/main/?p=2449

The picture of Tim and GWE back to back is an unfortunate reminder of how the kids fast and GWE clearly does not.

• Sad 10
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Albanyguy said:

She must have gotten some backlash about the constant vacationing, hence the need to remind us all that David is a hard-working man who works really hard, that all the kids help out in the family business (no mention of Jill herself doing any of the work) and that they are HONORED to be serving Jesus! Message received, Jillybean.

First thing I thought too. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

First thing I thought too. 

Me too. Plus she shows us GWE opening paper and stacking it in angled piles. I was shocked at what hard work that was! And the kids do far more work than she makes it seem. Once again she’s a lying liar.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1

He sweetly grunted as he worked once a year opening box after box of paper. After 20 minutes hunk was utterly exhausted so he went to watch his map , eating a plate of twinkies he hid behind the boiler.

His children can finish his work while his plexus pushing wife supervised diligently. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ozziemom said:

Me too. Plus she shows us GWE opening paper and stacking it in angled piles. I was shocked at what hard work that was! And the kids do far more work than she makes it seem. Once again she’s a lying liar.

"he creates the designs" - he prints the same damn thing every time. surely he has it saved on his computer, chooses the amt  and hits send to printer...all while sitting in the air conditioned print shop eating candy from the jar jill has mentioned he has out there, and they have posted about the folding machine they purchased.

portable a/c is in the pics, wouldn't want hunk to work up a sweat opening packs of paper. and refilling the paper drawer.

Edited by crazy8s
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 7
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Notice she says the kids help, not just the boys.   So girls CAN work at a job, as long as it means GWE doesn't have to.

That post came off as super defensive to me. She's trying to prove that DBD works, and the kids JUST help. 

Sure Jan. We've seen how it operates. 🙄

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 5

You know, I gotta hand it to her.  She has a ready made excuse for GWE to NOT work.  Worldwide SEVERE paper shortage and all.  All she has to do is mention a paper shortage and "oh no, my giant hunk can't work... OH WELL.  P.S. pls pray and donate here!"

• Like 4
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

Look how trim and healthy we are. Yay plexus!

0ED2F4B9-EAF8-4651-B11C-34877F174CFD.jpeg

Of course, Jill is wearing the semi-stylish shoes, while Kaylee is wearing the ones that are exactly like those that my 90-year-old grandma wore.  JillBean’s toes are chubby just like her fingers.  Maybe if she SOAKS them in Plexus…🤔

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Liddy52 said:

Going back to Phillip and his burden to go to Hungary.  The Rodrigues family insists that the King James Version 1611 is the only acceptable version of the Bible and is the inerrant Word of God. But will Phillip expect the people of Hungary to use the KJV 1611? Because if it is translated into another language, would it still be the inerrant Word? They don't accept other English translations. I do know that some denominations work hard to translate the Bible into the many different languages of the world. Once it is translated though, it will not be the KJV, will it? But, just out of curiosity, do the Rodrigues family and others of their belief feel that the KJV 1611 must be used worldwide? Whether or not those who they are trying so hard to convert read English or not?  I know it is a moot point since it is unlikely that Phillip will be a missionary in Hungary, but I just wondered how it would work when he tries to share scripture. Also, does GWE print a version of his Smiley face tracts in Spanish? It seems like I saw something several years ago that he did.  If it contains any scripture, and it is in Spanish, then it would be a translation and not KJV 1611.

Edited to add, I just looked it up and there is evidently a Spanish version of the King James Version  but that makes no sense to me. Because once you translate it, it is no longer the KJV.  Perhaps because it is translated from the KJV instead of from the original Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic.  I am probably over thinking this whole subject!

You are not overthinking this.  I have had similar thoughts because the math aint mathin.  There cannot be only one correct version of the Bible available only in the archaic form of one language when there are hundreds of languages around the world.  This would require every soul on earth to learn English well enough to understand the 1611 KJV in order to be saved.  Which is insanely bleak.  And yes, translating the 1611 KJV into another language makes it not the 1611 KJV.  Whatever magic needed to write that translation would be stripped away by translating it into French or Hungarian or Mandarin.  And if Jill or others believe the divine intervention that happened back in England during the reign of James I can somehow be replicated when translating the 1611 KJV into Hungarian, then why was it not present during all other biblical translations?  

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

You are not overthinking this.  I have had similar thoughts because the math aint mathin.  There cannot be only one correct version of the Bible available only in the archaic form of one language when there are hundreds of languages around the world.  This would require every soul on earth to learn English well enough to understand the 1611 KJV in order to be saved.  Which is insanely bleak.  And yes, translating the 1611 KJV into another language makes it not the 1611 KJV.  Whatever magic needed to write that translation would be stripped away by translating it into French or Hungarian or Mandarin.  And if Jill or others believe the divine intervention that happened back in England during the reign of James I can somehow be replicated when translating the 1611 KJV into Hungarian, then why was it not present during all other biblical translations?  

Thank you!!!! You explained it so much better than I was able to!  The King James Version is that........a VERSION ( borrowing from Jill's random capitalization). It is there in the very title. It is one translation done by one set of Bible Scholars. There are other translations that are just as true or more so to the original Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek. That is why many seminaries,  if not all, require their students to study Greek, so they can study the nuances of the scripture in one of its original languages.  I am sure (sarcasm font) JillR is going to encourage Phillip to do the same!

• Like 2

I suspect that either 

a) people who have translated KJV into other languages have just used their language's old and formal version. You'd lose something, for sure, but a translation could still maintain the formality level. (For example, in romance languages, you'd loose the fancy sounding thee and thou because those languages have kept singular/informal vs plural/formal you, but you would have a better understanding of what it means to address God as tu (thee) than a modern English reader would). 

b) Ahem, given what else we know of the Rods' politics and belief system, I wouldn't say it's impossible that they're on team "Everyone should know English because that is the language of the bible." (What's this about Greek and Hebrew, now?).

Also, with regards to the KJV, I thought I read somewhere that it was a very political translation as King James was trying to placate the Church of England and the Puritans.

Edited by satrunrose
  • Like 2
  • Love 6

I remember reading about a missionary ( sorry don't remember who or where they were) who was working with a group teaching them English so they could read the Bible. One of the group ask him" If your God us so smart why doesn't he speak our language?" Talk about an embarrassing question! That is how the Wycliffe translation missionary came into being. 

Edited by crazycatlady58
  • Like 3
  • Love 9
16 minutes ago, Liddy52 said:

here are other translations that are just as true or more so to the original Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek. That is why many seminaries,  if not all, require their students to study Greek, so they can study the nuances of the scripture in one of its original languages.  I am sure (sarcasm font) JillR is going to encourage Phillip to do the same!

There seems to be two branches of Fundyism on this one. One is the MacArthur version where study is encouraged (to pwn the atheists, of course) and the other Gothard where you just show up in your kakis and long denim and the light of God shining through you will cause a mass conversion...or something.... Given GWE's super successful printing ministry involves smiley faces, I think we can guess where the Rods fall (sorry Phillip). 

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4

MacArthur's church isn't truly fundamentalist.  They are conservative evangelical Christians.  People may hate both belief systems, but the fundamentalist distinction goes to the true extremists.  

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, ginger90 said:

2) Canary Islands
3) Honduras 
4) Mexico
5) Liberia

People who insist on Random Capitalization drive me Crazy. 

• LOL 12
  • Love 1

We have now shipped Gospel Literature to the following places....

2) Canary Islands
3) Honduras 
4) Mexico
5) Liberia

So I have questions. Was all of this “literature” in English? Who paid for all of the international shipping/how much would that cost? What exactly does this “literature “ entail? Pamphlets? 

• Like 1
  • Love 8

Regarding the Rod kids only “helping” GWE in his printing, seems GWE ought to be teaching and training the older kids how to operate the printing press and all the other “hard work” he does, so that they can have some skills in something.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Liddy52 said:

Thank you!!!! You explained it so much better than I was able to!  The King James Version is that........a VERSION ( borrowing from Jill's random capitalization). It is there in the very title. It is one translation done by one set of Bible Scholars. There are other translations that are just as true or more so to the original Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek. That is why many seminaries,  if not all, require their students to study Greek, so they can study the nuances of the scripture in one of its original languages.  I am sure (sarcasm font) JillR is going to encourage Phillip to do the same!

Unfortunately, Jill's group is not the only group that believes this.  I know a woman in my town with whom I just cannot discuss anything remotely church-related.  To her, any Biblical translation is "changing scripture".  Any Bible translation into a different language is "adding to scripture".  It's kind of scary, actually.  This is how cults are made.  I do feel sorry for Philip.  No education so he could go to an actual, real Bible school, and dreams that are being encouraged by his mother that will never happen.

• Like 7
  • Sad 5
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

We have now shipped Gospel Literature to the following places....

2) Canary Islands
3) Honduras 
4) Mexico
5) Liberia

So I have questions. Was all of this “literature” in English? Who paid for all of the international shipping/how much would that cost? What exactly does this “literature “ entail? Pamphlets? 

Well, because they're the Rods they probably offensively changed the smiley face, like adding a sombrero etc, and think that with a Bible verse number will be enough.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 4
26 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Unfortunately, Jill's group is not the only group that believes this.  I know a woman in my town with whom I just cannot discuss anything remotely church-related.  To her, any Biblical translation is "changing scripture".  Any Bible translation into a different language is "adding to scripture".  It's kind of scary, actually.  This is how cults are made.  I do feel sorry for Philip.  No education so he could go to an actual, real Bible school, and dreams that are being encouraged by his mother that will never happen.

Does she think Jesus spoke English?

2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Well, because they're the Rods they probably offensively changed the smiley face, like adding a sombrero etc, and think that with a Bible verse number will be enough.

And those who are already Christians (including Catholics) will take one look at it and shrug, because they already read the bible.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Does she think Jesus spoke English?

And those who are already Christians (including Catholics) will take one look at it and shrug, because they already read the bible.

My guess is maybe 1 out of 100 of their tracts is read beyond a glance or the first line, the rest are immediately tossed.

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Didn't this come up as an issue for Timbits? His school tried teaching a different version of the Bible? Wasn't that how or why he left?

From what I can remember, one of Tim's instructors at Moody suggested Tim would get more out of using a different translation of the Bible.  The instructor did not forbid Tim from using the 1611 KJV, he just merely suggested reading another translation.  Jill being Jill told the story as Tim's instructor throwing Tim's precious copy of the 1611 KJV into the trash and forcing Tim to use an ungodly version.

• Like 8
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, graybrown bird said:

I highly doubt a professor or instructor at Moody would throw ANY version of the Bible into the trash. Jill is a liar.

No one at Moody told Tim to throw away his Bible.  Someone at Moody did post a rebuttal to Jill on their Facebook page.  There is a screenshot somewhere on this thread if you want to scroll back that far.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, all fall down said:

Regarding Tim's professor and the KVJ bible. He was talking his own experience with the KJV version. He did not throw Tim's bible in the trash. 

This is what Jill says happened

This is what a student from the class posted in response. 

So according to Jill, if I personally throw away my rosary, or full fat milk, or cancel my Hulu subscription then those things are “under attack?”

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

2) Canary Islands
3) Honduras 
4) Mexico
5) Liberia

What a random list.  The Canary Islands?  Per wikipedia, here is the religious breakdown there:

Catholic 84.9%

Atheist/Agnostic/Unbeliever 12.3%

Other religions 1.7%

• Like 4
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

So according to Jill, if I personally throw away my rosary, or full fat milk, or cancel my Hulu subscription then those things are “under attack?”

I reread Jill's word salad (I'm a glutton for punishment), and my original assumption had been that the prof threw out Timmy's KJV. That wouldn't been a terrible thing to do. But Jill is pissed because the prof threw out his own posession?

That's what she's upset about?

Wait, sorry. Of course she is. I just remembered who we were talking about. Never misses a chance to play the martyr. 

A SEVERE martyr.

Edited by the-grey-lady
  • Like 3
  • Love 4
On 8/25/2022 at 6:04 PM, BradandJanet said:

Are Jill's neighbors Amish or Mennonites? I would assume Jill would know the difference, but Jill often surprises me with what she knows and what she doesn't. 

A lot of people in the area probably couldn't tell the difference between Amish and Mennonites.  Amongst other things, a lot of local businesses that tout themselves as 'Amish' use Mennonite employees as their public face.  Almost all the Amish family style restaurants have young Mennonite girls as servers and Mennonite boys bussing the tables because true old order Amish would never want their kids spending so much time amongst the English.  Meanwhile, Amish cooking and furniture building, etc, has such a strong rep that everyone calls their business 'Amish' even if that isn't strictly true.

Despite Jill's newfound love for the Amish and all her bragging about how close she is to her Amish neighbors, I'd be surprised if her neighbors were true old-order Amish who really do keep to themselves and avoid contact with the Yankees except when absolutely unavoidable.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3

I think Jill's story of an attack on the KJV Bible made a better story than the reality of Tim's not having the literacy skills to keep up with his courses and Jill and David's realizing they couldn't afford the tuition. I wonder how long it took for the Rods to figure out Tim had no future at Moody. 

• Like 6
  • Love 10
59 minutes ago, the-grey-lady said:

I reread Jill's word salad (I'm a glutton for punishment), and my original assumption had been that the prof threw out Timmy's KJV. That wouldn't been a terrible thing to do. But Jill is pissed because the prof threw out his own posession?

That's what she's upset about?

Wait, sorry. Of course she is. I just remembered who we were talking about. Never misses a chance to play the martyr. 

A SEVERE martyr.

Yes, that’s how I read it. The professor threw out his own copy. And that means the KJV is “under attack?” 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Yes, that’s how I read it. The professor threw out his own copy. And that means the KJV is “under attack?” 

Yes, that's right.  The fact that professor found a more modern translation of the Bible that he himself found better suited to his own Bible study was indeed a horrible insult to the KJV. 

Jill forgets that most people, even those teaching at Moody Bible College, have gotten far better schooling than she or any of her spawn.  Someone like Jill who is seemingly semi-literate would be hard pressed to know the difference between Old English and modern when she probably only reads at middle school level anyway, based on her limited writing skills.  It doesn't matter whether its the KJV or another translation, Jill's limited reading skills limit how much she could get out of reading the Bible anyway.  Hence, her love for her husband and sons explaining it all to her in their devotionals.

Same thing with the Amish vs Mennonite distinction.  Does anyone think that the subject was covered in Jill's homeschooling?  That she ever read anything about those branches of Christianity on her own?  Jill seemingly has no intellectual curiosity whatsoever, I doubt she has ever sought out the answer to anything herself, nor is she that interested in her neighbors that she'd ever bother to ask them about it in order to learn something.  She probably thinks the Amish read the KJV translated into Old German.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2