Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

Also @farmgal4 said the Pastor pushed the people very hard for cash donations. The audience seemed bigger than the usual grift stops.

I'm not sure how big the congregation at that church usually is. I believe they were at a missions conference, so I assume the audience included visitors from other churches. IIRC David said something about the Rods leaving a day or two early because they had a commitment to appear in WV. 

But oh yes, I'm sure the church is high on Jill's grifting list now. 

This has caused me to wonder if there are IFB churches with big congregations, and if the Rods ever appear at those. They seem to hit smaller churches. As I understand it, the whole IFB world lends itself to small churches started by a few people with a grudge against their current church, IMO often driven by a guy with a lust for control and dominance. Who can be large and in charge of his very own church. Because they are independent, it's not like they have to get anybody's permission, or have completed any education, or follow any rules except to issue theological statements that line up with the IFB beliefs. IIRC Jim Bob Duggar had a home church for awhile. I'm sure those birds of a feather want to maintain contact with a network of folks who believe the same things, but the whole thing seems to favor a network of small churches. 

• Like 17

When the Rods go to these churches, don't they have to report how many souls they've brought to the Lord Daniel since the last visit? That's what they're getting paid to do. 

And, yes, Jill exaggerates and outright lies with every other breath. The congregation probably know that by now, but they're all playing the same game. 

• Like 12
Just now, oliviabenson said:

$500 to fill up the RV is such a waste of $. Those 2 and kids need to stay home and use that $ on bills. 

And food for the kids.

• Like 18
  • Love 3

Fundy economics is just so completely baffling to me. So, DBD only charges enough for his pamphlets to cover the shipping, not to cover the power to run the printers (or the map), to feed his little army of unpaid workers, or even to pay for the paper. Jill's Plexass empire seems to get them a couple hundred dollars per month (ie less than one trip to the grocery store for 13-14 people (depending on who's feeding Timcel). If it's $500 to fill up the RV, (and a tank of gas only takes you about 3-4 hours drive) they can't be pulling in much more than fuel costs on their grifting tours. Seriously, where is the money coming from?

• Like 16
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
29 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

Fundy economics is just so completely baffling to me. So, DBD only charges enough for his pamphlets to cover the shipping, not to cover the power to run the printers (or the map), to feed his little army of unpaid workers, or even to pay for the paper. Jill's Plexass empire seems to get them a couple hundred dollars per month (ie less than one trip to the grocery store for 13-14 people (depending on who's feeding Timcel). If it's $500 to fill up the RV, (and a tank of gas only takes you about 3-4 hours drive) they can't be pulling in much more than fuel costs on their grifting tours. Seriously, where is the money coming from?

They also get some amount of income from the Central Missionary Clearinghouse.

No idea if people actually send them money through paypal or credit card, as suggested on their blog. But probably some people donate to the family that way.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

Honestly, what tangible benefit to the world do the Rods bring to the table?  What real “ministry work” do they actually do?

In their world, ministry is preaching and spreading the word of dog, that is IT.   It's all about "saving souls" not actually HELPING those undeserving heathens.  

But even in their world, I question what they bring to the table.   David has stated he just re-uses his sermons.   He's even lazy there and doesn't write up something new for each grift tour, let alone grift stop.   But well, he did say "don't give him something new, he can't do it."   So even their printing "ministry" is just publish the same old tracts.  

• Like 17
  • Sad 4
2 hours ago, satrunrose said:

David says he only charges for shipping, but I'm guessing he charges for shipping and "handling". The internet says big RVs cost anywhere from $60 to $600 to fill up, so I'm thinking their RV costs less then $500 to fill up. Since we now know they file taxes I think there's a high probability they collect *food stamps, get Section 8 and free healthcare. During the beginning of the pandemic they likely got $1000s of free food at one one the free lunch sites most communities have. Plexus likely only keeps Jill in dollar store make-up.

*SNAP for a family of 8 is over $1500 with an additional $200 for each additional person.

• Like 9
  • Mind Blown 5
  • Useful 1
23 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

David says he only charges for shipping, but I'm guessing he charges for shipping and "handling". The internet says big RVs cost anywhere from $60 to $600 to fill up, so I'm thinking their RV costs less then $500 to fill up. Since we now know they file taxes I think there's a high probability they collect *food stamps, get Section 8 and free healthcare. During the beginning of the pandemic they likely got $1000s of free food at one one the free lunch sites most communities have. Plexus likely only keeps Jill in dollar store make-up.

*SNAP for a family of 8 is over $1500 with an additional $200 for each additional person.

This is what I’ve always suspected.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

Excellent question @mythoughtis.  I wonder if they legitimately do not know the differences among all the types of stimulus checks and PPP loans and any other kind of help that was available.  OR they actually DO and are purposefully vague about the wording.  I don't want to count anyone's smarts out entirely but I do know who we're talking about LOL

• Like 6
31 minutes ago, ALittleShelfish said:

Excellent question @mythoughtis.  I wonder if they legitimately do not know the differences among all the types of stimulus checks and PPP loans and any other kind of help that was available.  OR they actually DO and are purposefully vague about the wording.  I don't want to count anyone's smarts out entirely but I do know who we're talking about LOL

I really doubt there was any way they could qualify for a loan intended for small businesses, paycheck protection, etc  They just received sizable stimulous checks.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

They remodeled during COVID using ‘tax money’. Was that just the stimulus checks or was that  the business loan/grant that was supposed to be used to  not lay people off?   

Probably both, and they got lots of money in child tax credits.

4 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I'm pretty sure someone here calculated their stimulus refund, and the amount was considerable. It could have easily paid for the addition. 

And I’m sure they also took the stimulus checks of all of their adult kids. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 1

I thought of the PPP loans as well -  PPP loans for their zip code do not list the All Things Truth Print Shop, Rodrigues Family Ministries or Timothy's Christ Honor Lawn Service among those who received money.

• Useful 11

Unfortunately, the gravy train won't stop.  Once they are unable to drag their kids to perform because they are too old, these horrible parents will then be mooching off their married children expecting them to take care of them.  

Edited by jacourt
  • Like 5
  • Sad 13

I think David would give up the print ministry in a heartbeat and rely on his boring preaching as his "work." Jill would probably stay with Plexus. They'll live off their children without any shame, just as they always have. 

Jill will  try to keep the married children close and under her control. Of course, some of her new in-laws may have the same retirement plan as Jill and David's, so Jill will be losing some offspring, but hopefully to places with nice beaches and interesting gift shops. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 5

Since the Rods added a bedroom their Section 8 voucher might increase. An average 3 bedroom voucher in Ohio is $1550, with about another hundred for a 4 bedroom. Since they had a considerable down payment from their previous house the Rods may be paying close to nothing out of pocket toward their mortgage.

• Mind Blown 3
  • Useful 1
30 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Since the Rods added a bedroom their Section 8 voucher might increase. An average 3 bedroom voucher in Ohio is $1550, with about another hundred for a 4 bedroom. Since they had a considerable down payment from their previous house the Rods may be paying close to nothing out of pocket toward their mortgage.

Section 8 for homeowners?

• Like 8
  • Mind Blown 3

I'm not sure the upstairs attic sleeping space would qualify as a bedroom anyway. I don't think there's a window or second egress to make it legal. I don't know about a closet either, but there might be one filled with tacky Ladies' Retreat decorations. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

Section 8 is primarily a rental assistance program, but it's possible for homeowners to get assistance from Section 8. However, it seems that there are long waiting lists. I'm not sure when this article was published, and a couple of their statements re income requirements seem garbled but it does provide an overview: https://www.mortgageloan.com/can-you-really-buy-home-section-8-program-9857.  The article says this: 

Even if your family meets the guidelines, this can be a difficult affordable housing program to get into. In recent years, only about 1,000-2,000 families nationally have been accepted into the program each year. On top of that, participating PHAs [Public Housing Authorities] maintain waiting lists for the program that can be quite lengthy - often several years. Furthermore, the lists may open up to new additions only rarely, and then be closed again after just a few days.

I suppose the Rods could have applied for and been granted Section 8 benefits - but the odds seem against it if only because waiting lists are so long. Also I've seen some comments online that it's for first-time homeowners but haven't dug deep enough to confirm that. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 2
  • Useful 6
43 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Section 8 for homeowners?

Yes, as @Jeeves noted, it is a thing. Once you get on Section 8, if you follow the rules to a T, you can stay on it for years and its transferable, state to state.

The Rods could have applied for it years and years ago and may have been receiving for a decade or more now.

And @Jeeves, this is all speculation due to the fact that we now know for sure the Rods file taxes.

• Useful 5

I am disgusted to read that it is suspected that the Rods are receiving Section 8 housing and/or any government benefits. The father in this large, by choice, family is underemployed and not really employed at a real job at all. It should be required that he have a real job first. This printing ministry is a "ministry", ie/religious volunteer/dedication type of situation. Does anyone know what David is actually educated and/or trained to do in the real world work force? He should be working in that field if there is one before applying for any government benefits. These two parents are professional beggars and do not have any pride in themselves. They are lazy and she is an attention whore IMO. Too bad her children are stuck in this awful situation. I do hope that child services makes a surprise visit/inspection on them very soon.  Provide for your children Rods!

• Like 21
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

I am disgusted to read that it is suspected that the Rods are receiving Section 8 housing and/or any government benefits. The father in this large, by choice, family is underemployed and not really employed at a real job at all. It should be required that he have a real job first. This printing ministry is a "ministry", ie/religious volunteer/dedication type of situation. Does anyone know what David is actually educated and/or trained to do in the real world work force? He should be working in that field if there is one before applying for any government benefits. These two parents are professional beggars and do not have any pride in themselves. They are lazy and she is an attention whore IMO. Too bad her children are stuck in this awful situation. I do hope that child services makes a surprise visit/inspection on them very soon.  Provide for your children Rods!

It's just speculation. I would be surprised if lazy Dave and crazy Jill are savvy enough to do all the paperwork involved. I think their only specialties are grifting and judging others. Certainly not music or preaching!

• Like 11
  • LOL 1
19 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

The older kids can only get SNAP if they're under 19 and still in high school or entered into SNAP's employment program and actively seeking jobs. Otherwise, the 7 younger children and their parents will only get it, which is still a lot of money.
My daughter and her husband have 6 boys between 4 and 13. Their stimulus checks were over $10,000.

Edited by Nysha
  • Like 4
  • Mind Blown 5
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, floridamom said:

Does anyone know what David is actually educated and/or trained to do in the real world work force? 

He used to work for a printer of some kind, which is where he learned how to run the printing press. But he left that  job to do "full time print ministry". 

Make of that what you will. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, floridamom said:

he father in this large, by choice, family is underemployed and not really employed at a real job at all. It should be required that he have a real job first.

I'd bet a bottle of plexus that DBD claims he is unable to work and gets disability.  

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, all fall down said:

He used to work for a printer of some kind, which is where he learned how to run the printing press. But he left that  job to do "full time print ministry". 

Don't forget he "attended" some rinky dink bible college (I guess correspondence classes) in Louisiana. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
14 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

I'd bet a bottle of plexus that DBD claims he is unable to work and gets disability.  

If he is collecting disability each of his minor kids gets a smaller check too.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 2

The Missionary Clearing House offers tax preparation too. With all the sources of income the Rods might be receiving, Jill and Dave need an accountant-- preferably one who's familiar with the ins and outs of domestic missionary grift. 

• Like 7
On 3/14/2023 at 3:37 PM, all fall down said:

David also worked in construction, building houses.  I guess that’s where he learned the skills needed to remodel the barndo.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 4
On 3/14/2023 at 8:34 AM, GeeGolly said:

I’ve always thought that Section 8 vouchers were only for low income RENTERS. Does it apply towards a mortgage, too?

• Like 6
49 minutes ago, louannems said:

I’ve always thought that Section 8 vouchers were only for low income RENTERS. Does it apply towards a mortgage, too?

We discussed it some above. There's a Section 8 program for homeowners but it's limited in size and scope and for first time homebuyers only. David's comments about getting the government money seem to confirm that they pay taxes. Which opens the door to the idea that they may draw government benefits, including Section 8. We don't know that they do. 

ETA: The pandemic/stimulus payments were generated automatically, based on tax returns, and sent out. The recipients (including the Rods) didn't have to do anything to get them. I'm not 100% sure the Rods don't get any government benefits at all, but OTOH I don't see them dealing well with any program that requires a lot of cooperation/disclosures and meeting deadlines.

As someone said upthread, David's lazy and Jill's crazy. If they left WV to dodge child protective services, they may want to stay under the radar as far as evil governments go and not trigger CPS visits in Ohio. Weighing that against Jill's greed (and the need to feed all those kids, however stingily), it's possible they might apply for some kinds of assistance. Just depends on how the fear vs greed battle comes out for them. But, I'm pretty sure they aren't getting Section 8 help with their mortgage on the Barndo. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
4 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

He is SEVERELY awful at remodeling anything. Looks like a fire hazard! 

He is so useless! Only good at making babies!

He's SEVERELY terrible at remodeling and Jill's SEVERELY terrible at decorating. They are match made in ugly Architectural Digest.

• LOL 17

How neat/fun facts:

Nuri and Tim will be the same age (23) for 2 whole months. So Jill got pregnant a month after having Nuri? 

Peanut butter pie is Tim’s favorite and is his birthday pie.

1 pie is not enough for like 15 people. Hope Tim got a sliver! 

Like they needed 5/6 pies for that many people especially since Jill doesn’t really provide food for a party. 

In the video I did not see much food for the party…

Trish and Tim Noyes are still there at Jill’s. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

The Tim and Heidi tshirt sent me lol. Oh my as bad as the kissing pillows lol.

It is ridiculous! If I gave my husband a shirt like that, he would think I had a break down. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 15