Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

Wow, aside from DBD’s lack of nice shirt and Jonathan claiming what is his, that’s a very nice picture!  All of the kids are in nice, decent-fitting clothing.  The girls actually look…cute!  And their shoes all appear to be at or near the correct sizes and are appropriate to the style dress being worn.  I’m impressed!  Maybe Ma or Pa Turtleneck bought the kids nice clothes as a Christmas gift. 

It's sad how low the bar is set with this family.  Everyone does look nice though.  I want to have nice things to say about them bc the kids can't help the shitty deck they've been dealt,  but damn Jill and Hunk make it so dang hard.  

• Like 9
49 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

What is Nathan wearing? Is that his wailing before anyone eats shirt? 

Quote on Nathan's shirt

"The Devil Saw Me With My Head Down And Thought He'd Won Until I Said Amen"

• LOL 9

Poodle mix dogs can be very expensive.  There is a breeder in my area selling golden doodles for around $2000.  She must have found a good grift.  I have read articles about Amish puppy mills.  I hope this is not a puppy mill dog.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 9
3 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

Poodle mix dogs can be very expensive.  There is a breeder in my area selling golden doodles for around $2000.  She must have found a good grift.  I have read articles about Amish puppy mills.  I hope this is not a puppy mill dog.

There's some talk on FJ that Jill picked up the dog when they were recently in Kentucky. They have a dear friend there who's a breeder. 

I just hope the poor dog gets her shots, gets spayed, and is loved. Probably too much to hope for, given how we have seen these idiots take care of Snuggles. 

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 9
  • Love 1

That poor puppy. I fear that has health issues too, because no breeder is going to give someone a perfectly healthy puppy they could sell for thousands. I don’t care how “sweet”’of a friend they are. This is either an oops litter for the breeder (that does NOT look like yorkiepoo) or there’s another reason they couldn’t sell. 

Now Panda, with an experienced dog owner could thrive. But no, she was given to two people who have only lived as adults for 15 minutes, with a human baby on the way. Did they even WANT a dog? Maybe John Boy had one on the farm but I doubt he has experience training a puppy. Mr Trillium and I had dogs as kids, but our first puppy together was a lot different. We managed, but we also had been married for 6 years at that point, had a fenced in yard, steady income, and weren’t freaking pregnant. 

Jesus Christ. Jillpm has a long track record of poor decision making, but this is very high on the list. #savePanda

• Like 6
  • Sad 16
1 hour ago, crazy8s said:

from Jill's Christmas Eve fb post with just the older children. who is Gabriel's friend?

gabe.jpg

Maybe somebody from the Rods' church. Jill's party invitees are usually people she wants or needs something from. 

On a different topic, wasn't Gabe the one who got the duty of massaging the shoulders of the older, rotund pastor? Jill was very proud of him and posted a photo a few years  ago. 

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 6
  • Sad 2
16 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Just what a pregnant Kay needs a pooping / peeing puppy to take care of! How is she gonna bend down in 6 months to care for the dog? And her morning sickness and picking up after a dog? A puppy is not a toy. 

Puppy will be gone before baby arrives. 

I was going to say that. Did Kaylee want a dog? Puppies are A LOT. I prefer adult dogs myself (of course I love Cosmo to pieces) but a puppy is like a BABY, and she’s about to have baby after baby after baby. 

Of course families make it work, but I know a number of people who had an adult senior dog when they started having kids and elected not to get another dog until their children were a bit older. I’m not saying that people can’t take good care of puppies and babies- of course they can, but I don’t believe for one second Kaylee asked for this. Likely Jill wanted it for herself, because she’s like that. 

• Like 13
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, BradandJanet said:

Maybe somebody from the Rods' church. Jill's party invitees are usually people she wants or needs something from. 

On a different topic, wasn't Gabe the one who got the duty of massaging the shoulders of the older, rotund pastor? Jill was very proud of him and posted a photo a few years  ago. 

I'm glad you mentioned the shoulder massage photo - or maybe photos? - that Jill posted. Because I thought of that when I saw Gabe in that pose with the older guy. I can't remember if Gabe was the Rodling shown in the shoulder massage photo, but I remember that I wasn't the only one who thought the whole deal was - creepy. Icky. Not good. But Jill's proudly posting photos for the world to see, of her young children giving shoulder massages to some middle-aged guy. She's such a mess. Ugh.

I'm going to assume that Jill directed Gabe and the older guy to put their arms around each other for the photo and they of course complied. There is some air space between their bods anyway. I'm sure Jill's so used to taking photos and selfies of girls and women who are all squished up together for the picture, that she wanted the guys all shoved together too. 

• Like 10
3 hours ago, crazy8s said:

from Jill's Christmas Eve fb post with just the older children. who is Gabriel's friend?

gabe.jpg

ICK.   I mean people can be friends with people of different ages.   But considering we know that Jill discourages friendships outside the family (she is ALL of her children's best friend), this just strikes me as creepy.   

• Like 13
20 hours ago, Jeeves said:

IMO that would only be in the sense of Jill appropriating some of Ma's GFM money to pay the clothes. Poor Ma is very ill and bed-ridden, and I doubt she's up to shopping for her grandkids' clothes. I'd be amazed if a Fundy guy of Pa's age took any interest in the clothing of his young granddaughters, unless to condemn something he deemed immodest. I think that in the IFB world, getting the kids dressed is women's work. 

Of course. That’s what I meant…they BOUGHT the clothes in the sense of “here is $300, go get the kids nice clothes for Christmas”.  Ma Turtleneck is not in any position to shop for anything these days on her own, so this is an easy thing for them to do that would be useful.  My grandparents did this for the younger kids once they were unable to shop anymore or the grands were too far away. They sent money and a list of what was intended.  It was nice because the kids had actual presents Christmas morning from the grandparents.  

• Like 7
42 minutes ago, Lady Edith said:

Of course. That’s what I meant…they BOUGHT the clothes in the sense of “here is $300, go get the kids nice clothes for Christmas”.  Ma Turtleneck is not in any position to shop for anything these days on her own, so this is an easy thing for them to do that would be useful.  My grandparents did this for the younger kids once they were unable to shop anymore or the grands were too far away. They sent money and a list of what was intended.  It was nice because the kids had actual presents Christmas morning from the grandparents.  

My mother did this too because it was easier for me to buy the coveted toy and wrap it than it was for her to ship it. Of course, I spent the money exactly as it was intended. 

I'm not sure the Turtlenecks have any funds to spend on gifts, or that Jill would use the money to buy her kids clothes if they did. Ma is in no position to notice, and Pa might not stand up to Jill. Maybe someone from the church gave the kids some nice outfits for Christmas. Jill wouldn't be able to work around that. 

• Like 9
8 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

68c2paybnp391.thumb.jpeg.39b5ff40d3a434fe189e6aaa61b95110.jpeg

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

ICK.   I mean people can be friends with people of different ages.   But considering we know that Jill discourages friendships outside the family (she is ALL of her children's best friend), this just strikes me as creepy.   

Yes. That’s not the same guy though. A photo of Gabriel posing with his arm around someone isn’t creepy, it’s what we know about Jill and how she puts her kids on display that makes us side eye. Lots of people stand close together and pose for holiday pictures (says me who’s not a hugger but will do it for a photo op). 

• Like 6
38 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

68c2paybnp391.thumb.jpeg.39b5ff40d3a434fe189e6aaa61b95110.jpeg

I still find that back rub really creepy. When my male cousin was a kid and in his early teens, he would sit next to whichever sister was around and they would scratch his back. He started this when he was really small and is the baby of the family. I never found it creepy and he did outgrow it! I actually thought it was funny. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

A photo of Gabriel posing with his arm around someone isn’t creepy, it’s what we know about Jill and how she puts her kids on display that makes us side eye.

Nah its still creepy.   It just doesn't look right.   

• Like 9
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

I still find that back rub really creepy. When my male cousin was a kid and in his early teens, he would sit next to whichever sister was around and they would scratch his back. He started this when he was really small and is the baby of the family. I never found it creepy and he did outgrow it! I actually thought it was funny. 

I did find the back rub creepy too. Siblings scratching another sibling’s back isn’t odd to me. A small child massaging the shoulders of an adult, the power dynamics are different. It seems “subservient”(I was looking for the proper word).

31 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Nah its still creepy.   It just doesn't look right.   

I understand how you feel. 

• Like 16
On 12/25/2022 at 1:32 PM, BetyBee said:

I don't understand why even a looney tune like Jill would think that filter was necessary for a child! Or why she thinks it's her small child's job to help sell that snake oil! As far as I can tell, Jill has no redeeming qualities. This photo and the video it came from, are just so weird!

She looks like a creepy vinyl doll from the mid-80s.

Why Jill thinks children need to look like a small child has no pores I'll never know.

Just add that the mountain of things about Jill that make no sense to me.

(Nothing about Jill makes any sense to me. It's a towering mountain. You'd need a sherpa to get to the top.)

Edited by the-grey-lady
  • Like 10
  • LOL 7
53 minutes ago, the-grey-lady said:

She looks like a creepy vinyl doll from the mid-80s.

Why Jill thinks children need to look like a small child has no pores I'll never know.

I had a worse thought when I saw the picture.  It reminded me of Brooke Shields in Pretty Baby (yes, I'm showing my age).  

• Like 9
  • Applause 3
41 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

They got Janessa to surrender that awful rag for the picture, but the poor thing is still sucking her thumb. 

My college roommate (we are still good friends) sucked her thumb in COLLEGE. Yes she did. I remember the first time I saw her pull out her little blanket, sit on the sofa and suck her thumb at 19. I was dumbfounded. Now when I met her she only did it in the privacy of her home, and she’s a perfectly wonderful functional adult, wife and Mom of two. 

So I can’t pass judgment on little Janessa or even her caregivers for this one (Jill and Hunk have plenty of other things I can pass judgment on), but Janessa is 4 almost 5 now, my roommate was 19……at 38 she doesn’t suck her thumb last I knew, but again we don’t live together any more. 

• Like 8
  • Mind Blown 2
35 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

My college roommate (we are still good friends) sucked her thumb in COLLEGE. Yes she did. I remember the first time I saw her pull out her little blanket, sit on the sofa and suck her thumb at 19. I was dumbfounded. Now when I met her she only did it in the privacy of her home, and she’s a perfectly wonderful functional adult, wife and Mom of two. 

So I can’t pass judgment on little Janessa or even her caregivers for this one (Jill and Hunk have plenty of other things I can pass judgment on), but Janessa is 4 almost 5 now, my roommate was 19……at 38 she doesn’t suck her thumb last I knew, but again we don’t live together any more. 

One of my life long friends still sucks her thumb when she is really tired or anxious and let’s just say we’re over 65….

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
3 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I'd say these are exceptions. We'll see what happens to little Janessa. 

I’m guessing she will be using her thumb or the blanket she usually has for a long time for comfort. BME won’t stop her since she views Janessa as a permanent baby.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
8 hours ago, Ljohnson1987 said:

The last thing the Rods need is a dog. Will they take it with them when they're grifting? Doubt it. Another thing to neglect. 

Ahhhhh so I suppose you have not yet heard the Saga of Snuggles, the Pup Who Was Left Behind?

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 3
50 minutes ago, Lady Edith said:

Ahhhhh so I suppose you have not yet heard the Saga of Snuggles, the Pup Who Was Left Behind?

I was hoping Snuggles had found a better new home when that happened. 

I haven't seen her recently. I saw Panda running around in the Baby Jesus video, but no sign of Snuggles. 

• Sad 3

I think you'd all be surprised to know how many adults suck their thumbs. There's adaptive self-soothing and maladaptive self-soothing and part of my job is to help folks find healthy ways to self-sooth. No one is doing Janessa any favors by letting her continue to suck her thumb. Its certainly not inline with smoking, drinking or eating, but its not really a healthy way to manage negative feelings.

• Like 5
  • Useful 8
8 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

No one is doing Janessa any favors by letting her continue to suck her thumb. Its certainly not inline with smoking, drinking or eating, but its not really a healthy way to manage negative feelings.

As well as the fact that it can affect permanent teeth along with the shape of one's mouth.

• Like 10
8 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I think you'd all be surprised to know how many adults suck their thumbs. There's adaptive self-soothing and maladaptive self-soothing and part of my job is to help folks find healthy ways to self-sooth. No one is doing Janessa any favors by letting her continue to suck her thumb. Its certainly not inline with smoking, drinking or eating, but its not really a healthy way to manage negative feelings.

Yes, but she as no one to show her other means to self-sooth. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 5

Will Jill be able to grift orthodontia for all her daughters who need it to compete on the marriage market? There's going to be some misalignment to deal with, and not just with Janessa. Does Jill think she's going to have the energy to keep the grift train going as she and Hunk age? Frankly, I see the younger daughters just falling through the cracks. 

• Sad 12
1 hour ago, BradandJanet said:

Will Jill be able to grift orthodontia for all her daughters who need it to compete on the marriage market? There's going to be some misalignment to deal with, and not just with Janessa. Does Jill think she's going to have the energy to keep the grift train going as she and Hunk age? Frankly, I see the younger daughters just falling through the cracks. 

With all them sons-in-law expected to support her?   She won't have to grift.   That is her retirement plan.    May they treat her and DBD as she treats her parents.

• Like 14
  • Sad 1

The first thing I thought of when I saw Jill's post about Ma and Pa moving in was, I wonder if Jill has secured all 487 area rugs in her home to the floor with grip mats or rug tape?

I know the answer, of course.  

Hey, I also wonder if Jill put away some of the more breakable of her massive tchotchke collection to allow her mom a little more freedom of movement?

🙄

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1

Jill posted what everyone got for Xmas. David she forgot to take a picture of. 

Sofia I think got a hand me down old doll. It’s probably the doll that the aunt gave Sofia and Jill took it.

Most of the people got crappy/cheap gifts. The 2 married couples got a pillow each of them kissing/ wedding day. 

Timmy got a toy airplane and a sweatshirt. Really? A grown man got a toy? Jill/ofJill are cheap.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 13
31 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Sofia I think got a hand me down old doll. It’s probably the doll that the aunt gave Sofia and Jill took it.

Most of the people got crappy/cheap gifts. The 2 married couples got a pillow each of them kissing/ wedding day. 

Timmy got a toy airplane and a sweatshirt. Really? A grown man got a toy? Jill/ofJill are cheap.

She just walks into whatever discount store she goes to and grabs stuff, not thinking if the person would like it or it suits them. As for the pillows..... I would not have been happy (and neither would my husband) if my parents got that for us. 

• Like 11

Ugh. Ignoring the fact that is super tacky to have each person pose with their gifts, there seems to be a wide disparity in value. Some got some nicer, clearly pricier items, and some got a random $2 toy that’s suited for someone half their age. 

I get that Christmas isn’t about gifts and clearly they have limited means, but then some of these gifts are soooo low effort. Add in the freaking puppy she got the newlyweds, it just feels like some kids clearly got way less than others. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 11
48 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

This does not surprise me.  The gave a little girl (don't remember which one) a diaper in a brown paper bag for a birthday present.  Not a package of diapers--a diaper.  I don't feet that gifts need to be expensive, but they do need to show some thought to show you care about the person.  A child's toy for a teen is not showing any thought.  For example, I would appreciate if someone gave me some Burts Bees lip gloss.  It would show that they know what I like, and that they thought  to give me an appropriate gift.  To me, the giving WITH THOUGHT is the most important, not the cost. 

(I'm stretching here, but maybe Tim collects toy airplanes???)

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 9
  • Applause 2