Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

Ooh… I remember “Last Date”!  There was also the (very disturbing) “Red Asphalt” which was wasayyyyy too graphic. I’m surprised I ever got behind the wheel after seeing that “educational” film! 
That said, all of the driving Rods could stand to see that film. 

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, Teriacky said:

Ooh… I remember “Last Date”!  There was also the (very disturbing) “Red Asphalt” which was wasayyyyy too graphic. I’m surprised I ever got behind the wheel after seeing that “educational” film! 

I don't remember the names but the one we saw featured a body burnt to a a crisp. Ugh! 

And yes, the driving Rods should watch these. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 2
59 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

According to a recent posting by Jill he was laid off, perhaps he was even fired.

True, but either way, Jill and David took it as a sign from God that David didn't need a paying job. It's OK for the older boys and sons-in-law to receive paychecks but God wants DBD to sit in front of a map watching football. 

Jill comes across as almost desperate with her Plexus pushing. They must really need the money. Maybe David should think about firing the press up for some God-approved commercial printing jobs. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, Teriacky said:

Yaaaas! Red Asphalt was the one I was thinking about. 😀

• Like 1
On 1/1/2023 at 11:38 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

As  understand it, in Ohio, a teen driver under 18 has to go through a driving school as part of the licensing process. I don't think any of the Rod children got their licenses before 18. I figure DBD "taught" them (all his bad habits).

I can confirm this for Ohio. My child just got their permit and is 16.  They must take drivers Ed and log many hours of driving in all weather conditions and at night.  The course is nearly $500.  I can not see Jill or hunk forking that out for a Rodling to drive.  Better to have them wait till 18 as they don’t go anywhere without a parent or older chaperone, anyway.  So why spend the $$$?  And I’m certain Hunk is Dean of the Rodrigues Family SOTDRT Driving School.  Which means a sub-sub-sub standard education.  Let’s see…Nurie was driving when she and Kaylee were in the infamous ER visit/photo shoot accident.  Stated cause?  Distracted driving.  Timmay got a few speeding tickets and I believe a wreckless driving nod, too.  Now Philly is adding to the family collection of citations.  Sounds like a solid driver education program riiiiiight there.

• Like 21
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

I can confirm this for Ohio. My child just got their permit and is 16.  They must take drivers Ed and log many hours of driving in all weather conditions and at night.  The course is nearly $500.  I can not see Jill or hunk forking that out for a Rodling to drive.  Better to have them wait till 18 as they don’t go anywhere without a parent or older chaperone, anyway.  So why spend the $$$?  And I’m certain Hunk is Dean of the Rodrigues Family SOTDRT Driving School.  Which means a sub-sub-sub standard education.  Let’s see…Nurie was driving when she and Kaylee were in the infamous ER visit/photo shoot accident.  Stated cause?  Distracted driving.  Timmay got a few speeding tickets and I believe a wreckless driving nod, too.  Now Philly is adding to the family collection of citations.  Sounds like a solid driver education program riiiiiight there.

Dave got a ticket too

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2

Phillip is shown in the live chapel service this morning for the start of the second term so presumably he passed his exams.

They gave out Dean's list awards starting at 3.4 and going up. Phillip was not one of the students named.

Was it Phillip who Jill claimed tested higher on some placement test than anyone ever or was that Timothy?

FYI to Phillip - chomping away on gum in chapel is not a good look for you.

Edited by crazy8s
  • Like 14
  • Useful 7
31 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

Phillip is shown in the live chapel service this morning for the start of the second term so presumably he passed his exams.

They gave out Dean's list awards starting at 3.4 and going up. Phillip was not one of the students named.

Was it Phillip who Jill claimed tested higher on some placement test than anyone ever or was that Timothy?

I wonder what his score was? 

• Like 4

I doubt anyone at Phillip's school isn't advanced to the next semester unless they break the purity rules, question authority too often, skip too many classes (conditional readmit), or can't afford to pay the tuition and fees (might be "scholarship" help for that).  

I almost feel sorry for anyone who has to read the required graduation theses,  but probably if the student manages to meet the length requirement, it's a go. 

Still, Phillip is learning to socialize outside his family, get places on time, study at regular intervals, and function without Mama hovering over him all day, so his time is well spent.  

• Like 21
  • Love 1

Does that kind of tiny, inbred, church school do a graduation thesis?  The one near me barely does end of semester exams for some classes.  It's mainly attendance and payment and at least turning in all the work.

• Like 10
19 hours ago, Absolom said:

Does that kind of tiny, inbred, church school do a graduation thesis?  The one near me barely does end of semester exams for some classes.  It's mainly attendance and payment and at least turning in all the work.

It's listed as a requirement in the program descriptions, but it can't be a thesis in any sense that we know it. In Phillip's program, five handwritten pages of "why I want to be a missionary" should do. 

Edited by BradandJanet
  • Like 10
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, crazy8s said:

It was Philip that was the second best student or something according to Jill

• Like 3
  • LOL 5
1 minute ago, oliviabenson said:

Mahmo lied? I’m shocked!

I kind of feel bad for the guy. Isn't he supposed to be the studious one? I can see Jill telling everyone how smart and dedicated to Jesus he is etc.... and then he doesn't make a 3.4? 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

I doubt anyone at Phillip's school isn't advanced to the next semester unless they break the purity rules, question authority too often, skip too many classes (conditional readmit), or can't afford to pay the tuition and fees (might be "scholarship" help for that).  

I almost feel sorry for anyone who has to read the required graduation theses,  but probably if the student manages to meet the length requirement, it's a go. 

Still, Phillip is learning to socialize outside his family, get places on time, study at regular intervals, and function without Mama hovering over him all day, so his time is well spent.  

Even if he isn't the brightest student in the school, he's received more mental stimulation over the last 3 or 4 months than he did the prior 18 years total. Just being able to walk around campus without having to get prior permission from Mahmo or take half a dozen siblings is probably as much freedom as he can process at the moment. 

• Like 19
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, crazy8s said:

If studious, smart, second place in grammar test Phillip can’t make 3.4 in a fake college all of his siblings are doomed.

• Like 13
  • Sad 8
  • LOL 2
25 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I kind of feel bad for the guy. Isn't he supposed to be the studious one? I can see Jill telling everyone how smart and dedicated to Jesus he is etc.... and then he doesn't make a 3.4? 

I imagine it's nearly impossible not to have a 4.0 at that place. Phillip apparently getting Bs and maybe even Cs is pretty embarrassing.

• Like 13
4 hours ago, crazy8s said:

AND made the tuition payment.   Which I think is the more surprising part.   that somehow the Grifters actually had money for a second semester.

Jill must REALLY have read all the criticism about Tim's education.   

• Like 12
9 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Actually it was testing for this school. I assume it was remedial in nature, testing basic literacy.

I thought it was a grammar test. Too lazy to look up where she boasted about this.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, SMama said:

I thought it was a grammar test. Too lazy to look up where she boasted about this.

To be honest, I don't think she ever said what kind of test it was. I just extrapolated based on the school's courses. They have to be able to read the Bible, which is probably the only source material they need. 🙄

At any rate, someone told Phillip that he scored second, but out of how many, 10? And you are generally not told how you score in relation to others, just how well you did. 

So I never bought this particular story.

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 9
  • Useful 3
6 hours ago, crazy8s said:

The girls in the Church Secretary program were the only students who made the Dean's List. I'm practically positive about this. (/s) 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 7
20 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Okay, but I see "grammar" as literacy. Jill probably doesn't know the term. 😜

I think it goes without saying that Jill does not comprehend the various components of literacy.  She also doesn't care that this was a regular old placement test that many institutions of higher learning conduct in order to gauge their new students' proficiency in reading and writing, or math, or fluency in a foreign language, etc.  Tests done for placement only and where the thought of ranking students' results never even occurs to the institution.  During my orientation for my undergraduate degree, I did a math and a French placement test but was exempt from the reading/writing one due to my AP scores.  My local community college now does testing on internet skills to see if students qualify to take online courses.  A school where many if not all of the students were either homeschooled or attended unregulated Christian schools will always have assessments freshman year to see which ones need more help in reading or writing or math.  Most schools do want their students to succeed and do not want to throw them in the deep end on day one.  Better to find out who needs remedial courses and tutors before.

Also, Philip may be an excellent test taker, but that is only one facet of being a successful student.  His GPA may be low due to him not turning in assignments on time or being late too often or not participating in class.  

• Like 11
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

To be honest, I don't think she ever said what kind of test it was. I just extrapolated based on the school's courses. They have to be able to read the Bible, which is probably the only source material they need. 🙄

At any rate, someone told Phillip that he scored second, but out of how many, 10? And you are generally not told how you score in relation to others, just how well you did. 

So I never bought this particular story.

Out of two....

• Applause 1
  • LOL 15

I have listened to several of the pastor who preached in chapel and find he is not as offensive as I expected. Definitely not all KJV language.

That said, I listen and wonder what on earth Phillip could possibly be thinking of the messages. One a while back was all about knowing God's will for your life. He spent a lot of time talking about being alert and recognizing and rejecting when other voices claim to know god's plan for your life. Also on how God's plan for you may change and what you originally thought could change by your circumstances. So did Phillip even consider for a second "what if mama does not know God's plan for me"?

Today's message was about experiencing failure in life. The Pastor said he could not think of even one failure in his life that was not caused by his own sin. Pride, arrogance, laziness, ignorance...

What he did not say was I failed because I am so Godly I was persecuted, or satan attacked me so I failed. For Phillip who hears mama blame every failure on others, satanic attacks, persecution or the democrats, I wonder if he thinks about the contrast of the Pastor and his mama or if he just sits there feeling superior in the Jrod way.

For the record there were no 4.0 students named today and all students expecting to graduate in 2024 need to turn in their thesis topic this week. I think possibly there was a comment about it being 12 pages.

Edited by crazy8s
  • Like 9
  • Useful 12
8 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I wonder if Phillip shares the chapel messages with Mahmo? Such messages would certainly upset her and possibly make her regret her decision to allow Phillip to attend school there.

Does Phillip comprehend the message, though?

• Like 12
19 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Can Philip even write a 12 page paper? I would think not.

If it's filled with random capitalizations, we would know BME had a hand in writing his paper. I don't know if his "professors" are wise to Jilldo's writing style yet. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 7
14 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Can Philip even write a 12 page paper? I would think not.

One trick is to leave lots of white space on the page--at the margins and between paragraphs. Does Phillip even know what a paragraph is? The white-space trick is picked up in junior high school, so Phillip may not have mastered it. 

Does this thesis involve any research beyond Bible quotations? By definition, it should. Does anyone teach students how to write a paper? Will the theses be bound and put in the school library? Does the school have a library? 

I teach at community colleges, so I've seen a lot over the years. However, I'm sure the Massillon thesis collection is, well, unique.

• Like 7
11 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

One trick is to leave lots of white space on the page--at the margins and between paragraphs. Does Phillip even know what a paragraph is? The white-space trick is picked up in junior high school, so Phillip may not have mastered it. 

Does this thesis involve any research beyond Bible quotations? By definition, it should. Does anyone teach students how to write a paper? Will the theses be bound and put in the school library? Does the school have a library? 

I teach at community colleges, so I've seen a lot over the years. However, I'm sure the Massillon thesis collection is, well, unique.

Don't forget line spacing! 

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Don't forget line spacing! 

Oh, yes, but that involves changing the settings in the word processing system.  Single spacing is more common with three or four hard returns at the end of a paragraph. I call them paragraph islands in a big sea. 

I suppose some Massillon students have a computer at home to do online lessons. However, unless the parents have attended a high school, these home- skooled kids have not learned much about writing an essay. Then, there's the whole library/internet can of worms. 

Massillon should drop the pretentious "thesis" requirement and have the students present a portfolio of sermons, class essays, business letters, and other practical stuff they've written. If students stay in school for the entire program, they're going to graduate. Why bother adding to the pile of badly written "theses" in the custodian's closet? 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

In accredited schools, you typically cannot white space your way to a longer paper, you submit them electronically because there’s software to scan for plagiarism. I was always given instructions like “Times New Roman 12pt, double spaced 1” margins” and yes that was checked. And sometimes it’s word count vs pages that’s the requirement. 

*I did print my master’s thesis for my defense presentation, but I was still required to upload it the official submission page. 

Edited by Trillium
  • Like 7

A not so old trick to lengthening a paper was increasing punctuation size. It would only help with a meaty paper that was close to the requested number of pages.

Aren't the Rod boys known cheaters when it comes to 'school'? Phillip best be careful.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

My daughter taught medical writing at two med schools not that long ago.  The latest software picks up on all the tricks to lengthen papers as well as plagiarism.  I'm not sure the little Bible college will do that or even care, but it's out there.  My daughter also used a minimum word count as well as length. 

I'm happy that he's made it to the second semester and does have to pass some tests and write some papers.  It's really encouraging that everyone doesn't get an A in every class. 

Edited by Absolom
  • Like 11
3 minutes ago, Absolom said:

My daughter taught medical writing at two med schools not that long ago.  The latest software picks up on all the tricks to lengthen papers as well as plagiarism.  I'm not sure the little Bible college will do that or even care, but it's out there.  My daughter also used a minimum word count as well as length. 

I am so glad that I received my degrees before the advent of anti-plagiarism software.  I did all the tricks to get my papers up to the prescribed length and still got great grades.  I'm an efficient writer who could get my point across with the appropriate sources to back up my claims using less words and pages than some of my other classmates.  A typical 5 page paper for me came out to be 4 pages, a 10 page paper would be 8.5, etc.  I would type all my papers in Courier New instead of Times New Romans to get the requisite page count.  I know my profs were aware of what I was doing, but they never said anything.  I hate the idea that students must write X amount of words or pages in order to complete the assignment.  A piece of writing should only be as long as it needs to be in order for your story to make sense or for you to justify your argument, and sometimes padding out your argument diminishes its impact.  

• Like 14
22 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I hate the idea that students must write X amount of words or pages in order to complete the assignment.  A piece of writing should only be as long as it needs to be in order for your story to make sense or for you to justify your argument, and sometimes padding out your argument diminishes its impact.  

I'll take my response to small talk.

14 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I wonder if Phillip shares the chapel messages with Mahmo? Such messages would certainly upset her and possibly make her regret her decision to allow Phillip to attend school there.

I'll bet Mahmo is holding onto this as her ace in the hole. When Philip has to leave school because he either flunks out or they won't pay the tuition, she'll use it to claim that he left because of the school's "ungodly" teachings. Just like when Tim left Moody and she insisted it was because one of his professors "threw the KJV bible in the trash".

• Like 7
  • Sad 3